REPORTS/PICS/VIDS - Mika at Riviera Theater, Chicago, 2009-OCT-20

lollipop_monkey

My daughter and I traveled all the way from Kansas City MO just to see MIKA and it was worth every hour on the road. The BEST CONCERT I have ever seen. The energy was intense and the view from 2nd row balcony was amazing. It was a great day and memories with my daughter who will be going to college next year. THANKS MIKA. Please come to Kansas CITY!!!!!!! :thumb_yello::mf_lustslow:

What a wonderful first report, and thanks for signing up just to share it with us! Glad you had a great time - hope to see you around more often! :wink2:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi :)

My friends and I started out on the floor, about five or six people back, but there was so much more pushing/shoving than I've experienced at a show before, one friend and I escaped after about three songs and were able to enjoy ourselves a lot more in the back where we were able to dance and breathe. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the thrill of being right up on the stage just as much as the next person, I just decided that I was in more of a dancing mood than a shoving and screaming mood last night. Props to all of you that stood your ground!

Anyway, yes, totally amazing show. I loved every minute of it. I cried during "Happy Ending," too. Everything was just perfect. Sorry I don't have much more to report--I just have to say that it was 100% worth the long drive (from Davenport, IA), getting home at 4am to be at work at 6, and almost hitting like twenty ridiculous deer running rampant across I-88.

My photos aren't the best, but I thought I would share a few anyway-

8724_1154250253414_1142400126_30465915_2893495_n.jpg

8724_1154250333416_1142400126_30465917_43550_n.jpg

8724_1154250413418_1142400126_30465918_6655907_n.jpg

8724_1154250773427_1142400126_30465926_8088548_n.jpg

It was that amazing:

8724_1154251053434_1142400126_30465933_7548547_n.jpg

Hi :)

My friends and I started out on the floor, about five or six people back, but there was so much more pushing/shoving than I've experienced at a show before, one friend and I escaped after about three songs and were able to enjoy ourselves a lot more in the back where we were able to dance and breathe. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the thrill of being right up on the stage just as much as the next person, I just decided that I was in more of a dancing mood than a shoving and screaming mood last night. Props to all of you that stood your ground!

Anyway, yes, totally amazing show. I loved every minute of it. I cried during "Happy Ending," too. Everything was just perfect. Sorry I don't have much more to report--I just have to say that it was 100% worth the long drive (from Davenport, IA), getting home at 4am to be at work at 6, and almost hitting like twenty ridiculous deer running rampant across I-88.

My photos aren't the best, but I thought I would share a few anyway-

8724_1154250253414_1142400126_30465915_2893495_n.jpg

8724_1154250333416_1142400126_30465917_43550_n.jpg

8724_1154250413418_1142400126_30465918_6655907_n.jpg

8724_1154250773427_1142400126_30465926_8088548_n.jpg

It was that amazing:

8724_1154251053434_1142400126_30465933_7548547_n.jpg

That last pic is fantastic :roftl: Sorry you got pushed around - glad you managed to have fun anyway :thumb_yello: thanks for the report:thumb_yello:

Wow, I write alot huh? The last two paragraphs are the best, I think.

At three in the morning I was wide eyed and paralyzed, tucked underneath my blankets. By nine I was in my Media Ethics & Law class trying to not look so dazed and distracted. By 12:30 I was on a Redline train heading toward the venue. At approximately 1:00 I was wandering around the WRONG side of town because my stop had been canceled. Great! Fifteen minutes into my panic and I had found The Riv. Thank God. I waited with some lovely fans for about five hours, total. My lazy hipster (but adorable) crowd of friends met me in line just in time. Next came the standard, waiting around in anticipation.

The smell of a moshpit is always an interesting one. Honestly, I’m used to smelling pot smoke at the concerts I go to. I didn’t smell THAT, but I smelled something. The show started at about 8:30-ish. The intro was so fitting to the venue. I know that the theater dates back to the 20’s, but the whole 1950’s “Let’s sit around the TV and be cute” thing was really appropriate. How do you describe this show? It was simply MAGIC. I managed to score the second row which was very nice.

Mika sounded so great and he looked…let me say, gorgeous. When he’d pass our part of the pit, I could catch little instances of complete joy in his face. Really, when he smiles it’s like your heart pumps confetti instead of blood. It’s more than just a handsome face, it’s this genuine happiness and appreciation that shines through him. The energy of the crowd was fierce, and Mika took notice. The first show in Chicago he was getting a feel for the crowd. It took him a bit longer to warm up to us. The second time around he knew us a lot better. Well, THIS TIME, was the BEST time. I felt the warmth of the audience (literally) and I knew he could too. He thanked the city several times.

At the end of the show I got a call from my sister who had staked out a spot in the alley for me and my friend Luis (lulu) and when I arrived at the spot I realized she and my other buddy Ritter were first in line. Thus, I too was first in line. It was pretty crowded, but when it started to rain I think people were a little less hopeful that he’d come out. If anything I expected him to wave and smile. But then again, I knew better. I had the same feeling I did at The Metro two years ago. “He’s gonna stay a while.” I didn’t have it last year at HOB, but I had it yesterday for sure.

I wasn’t nervous, I wasn’t contemplating my words…just reapplying my mascara. We waited, in total, for what felt like 45 minutes. John came out a few times from the back door. At one point a pizza was delivered inside as well. Kind of hilarious!

A line of average sized people trail out of the doorway holding umbrellas and then.... Mika, sky high and cloaked in a military style black coat. I noticed that first, come on now :) Actually first I noticed that smile. He wasted no time, though scanned the crowd with his eyes before trudging (with very large steps) toward me. By now it wasn’t a line, more of a row up in front and I was on the far right. So he darted toward me first, looking me straight in the eyes with that insanely adorable wide smile. I wasn’t aware of myself or conscious of how I was around him. It was the coolest I’ve been around Mika. Ha, as ridiculous of an analysis that is, I really mean it.

He walks toward me and I’m thinking, “Wow, me first huh? “ and “Awwwwwww.” So I asked him if he’d sign my album and he said “Of course!” He’s a pro now at that quick sharpie action. While signing the album my sister chimes in because she knew I wouldn’t fess up…Fess up to what? What else, that book I’m chained to for half a year that archives Mika’s every move and all of his adoring fans. “Hey Mika, she’s the editor of the fanclub’s yearbook.” So he continued to look at me and I think it dawned on him. So I continued the thought “Yeah, you know that book you get once a year from the MFC.” It’s very weird for me to take credit for anything that massive. It’s almost as though, If I were anyone else I’d be annoyed with THAT girl who pats herself on the back. So I don’t do that, ever. And I would never have mentioned it to him. It would have been too weird to say it. BUT, I am glad my sister did…. that sneaky girl.

“Yes! The Yearbook!” He said and quite honestly I cannot remember a single word after that. My brain went dead when I had my “Aha” moment finding his wide glittery eyes on mine and his head bent over me under his umbrella. I did mention that we were working on the 09’ book. It’s a blur, zapped of specific quotes other than the ones I just gave. But the details I’ve always remembered from our encounters have been the little instances of human to human connection. His face that close and the fact that I could make eye contact with him. (I couldn’t two years ago)

So it was a simple moment. I don't see him very often. I can't globe trot. So this one show, this one little instance made me realize that I'm not insane for doing what I do for him. Because when he's up there and your down there...and he sings and you sing back to him, you'll see it in his face that there will never be anyone like him. He’s magic.

Mika: Chicago 10-20-2009 @ The Riviera Theater.

The show was simply amazing. Yes I am a fan and I am biased...but I honestly believe Mika is THE greatest artist/songwriter/musician of this generation.

Last night I didnt go to a concert, I went to a show...a non stop show. A lot of artists stand at a microphone and shimmy and sing....MIKA PERFORMS!

The opening sequence gets your attention...it makes you stand on your tippy toes to be able to see exactly what the heck is happening on stage. Mika gets your attention from the moment you see any movement on stage...and he holds it until the last note is played...the last lyric is sang and the last balloon is hit in the air.

The set list is for new and old fans. Favorite after favorite from the 1st album and then sure to be new favorites off the new album.

You can tell that He KNOWS and LOVES every word coming out of his mouth. He does each word justice. Its not there to be a catchy pop tune...just for the sake of being a catchy pop tune...it is meant to tell a story and make you feel...and it does just that.

I was lucky enough to be a part of a meet and greet after the show last night. Sure when WE meet Mika...we want to be able to talk and take a picture...and he COULD just walk thru and shake and smile and move on...but he seems to care and share with everyone. He cant spend hours with each person..but the time you do get with him is special...because he makes it special.

I brought along a gift for Mika...a very cool bow-tie that I picked up at a vintage store in Chicago. Mika seemed pleasantly surprised at the gift...and said "OH YES!!! I can use this...this is perfect" and asked where I got it etc etc. I am hoping that I see him wear it...either in pics at a show or in a photo shoot or video...I know the chances are slim...but its ok to dream.

Mika's team of people were just so friendly and nice. Knowing they have to get him thru a line of people and autographs...but they didn’t rush it...they didn’t make it seem as if it was a "job" to them...they knew this is a moment for each of us.

This was my 2nd time meeting Mika....I was lucky enough to meet him after the first show he ever did in Chicago @ The Metro.

If you are thinking "Maybe I will catch Mika on this tour" you need to change your mind to "I AM GOING TO SEEE MIKA" it is well worth the money for the ticket.

Gary Go was the opening act and I must say he was rather fun. I will be looking more into him as well. Normally and opening act kinda makes my eyes glaze over...but he was good.

Another amazing show from Mika to us.

The crowd was WAY into it...and you could tell Mika was feeling us.

If there is anything else I can share...please ask...I have never reviewed a concert before like this.

Finally back!!!

Didn't bring a computer with me to Chicago and I was dying to get on here after the show last night.

Anyways. THE SHOW WAS AMAZING!

Set list was amazing, he performed amazingly, band was amazing, just amazing.

pics and vids coming.

only complaint I had was some VERY rude people that were near me, not MFCers or anything as far as I know but very, very rude people... that really ticked me off.

BUT IT WAS AMAZING! Nothing could have ruined it for me though, if Mika's there I am happy.

Finally back!!!

Didn't bring a computer with me to Chicago and I was dying to get on here after the show last night.

pics and vids coming.

only complaint I had was some VERY rude people that were near me, not MFCers or anything as far as I know but very, very rude people... that really ticked me off.

BUT IT WAS AMAZING! Nothing could have ruined it for me though, if Mika's there I am happy.

can't wait!!

Awesome report Melanie!

I loved that jacket too! He wore it in NY:teehee:

I remember when I thanked him for wearing the jacket, he was like, "Oh that was you? I've worn it quite a lot, you should make me another one!"

I:wub2::blush-anim-cl:

Edited by foalbaby14

Really, when he smiles it’s like your heart pumps confetti instead of blood.

“Yes! The Yearbook!” He said and quite honestly I cannot remember a single word after that. My brain went dead when I had my “Aha” moment finding his wide glittery eyes on mine and his head bent over me under his umbrella. I did mention that we were working on the 09’ book. It’s a blur, zapped of specific quotes other than the ones I just gave. But the details I’ve always remembered from our encounters have been the little instances of human to human connection. His face that close and the fact that I could make eye contact with him. (I couldn’t two years ago)

LOVE the first line! :wub2:

And yes! About the bolded part! I totally get it. I don't often remember what Mika says. I'm too busy being mesmerised at how close we are and taking note of his body language more :roftl: Actions speak louder than words after all!

The show was simply amazing. Yes I am a fan and I am biased...but I honestly believe Mika is THE greatest artist/songwriter/musician of this generation.

Last night I didnt go to a concert, I went to a show...a non stop show. A lot of artists stand at a microphone and shimmy and sing....MIKA PERFORMS!

The opening sequence gets your attention...it makes you stand on your tippy toes to be able to see exactly what the heck is happening on stage. Mika gets your attention from the moment you see any movement on stage...and he holds it until the last note is played...the last lyric is sang and the last balloon is hit in the air.

The set list is for new and old fans. Favorite after favorite from the 1st album and then sure to be new favorites off the new album.

You can tell that He KNOWS and LOVES every word coming out of his mouth. He does each word justice. Its not there to be a catchy pop tune...just for the sake of being a catchy pop tune...it is meant to tell a story and make you feel...and it does just that.

I was lucky enough to be a part of a meet and greet after the show last night. Sure when WE meet Mika...we want to be able to talk and take a picture...and he COULD just walk thru and shake and smile and move on...but he seems to care and share with everyone. He cant spend hours with each person..but the time you do get with him is special...because he makes it special.

I brought along a gift for Mika...a very cool bow-tie that I picked up at a vintage store in Chicago. Mika seemed pleasantly surprised at the gift...and said "OH YES!!! I can use this...this is perfect" and asked where I got it etc etc. I am hoping that I see him wear it...either in pics at a show or in a photo shoot or video...I know the chances are slim...but its ok to dream.

Mika's team of people were just so friendly and nice. Knowing they have to get him thru a line of people and autographs...but they didn’t rush it...they didn’t make it seem as if it was a "job" to them...they knew this is a moment for each of us.

This was my 2nd time meeting Mika....I was lucky enough to meet him after the first show he ever did in Chicago @ The Metro.

If you are thinking "Maybe I will catch Mika on this tour" you need to change your mind to "I AM GOING TO SEEE MIKA" it is well worth the money for the ticket.

Gary Go was the opening act and I must say he was rather fun. I will be looking more into him as well. Normally and opening act kinda makes my eyes glaze over...but he was good.

If there is anything else I can share...please ask...I have never reviewed a concert before like this.

WOW! You're the THIRD newbie to have joined MFC JUST to talk about this show! I'm seriously impressed. Did you Chicago people tell others to join this place? Like, seriously?

Anyway -- thanks for sharing and welcome to the MFC! Like the other two, hope to see you here on a regular basis!

Hi Scott :bye: Thanks for the report - glad he liked your present :thumb_yello:

I was telling everyone to join! a few said they'd tried, but never got activation email. when I first joined it took a few tries, the email kept going to my spam folder.

anyway, WELCOME to the greatest place on earth!

Wow, I write alot huh? The last two paragraphs are the best, I think.

At three in the morning I was wide eyed and paralyzed, tucked underneath my blankets. By nine I was in my Media Ethics & Law class trying to not look so dazed and distracted. By 12:30 I was on a Redline train heading toward the venue. At approximately 1:00 I was wandering around the WRONG side of town because my stop had been canceled. Great! Fifteen minutes into my panic and I had found The Riv. Thank God. I waited with some lovely fans for about five hours, total. My lazy hipster (but adorable) crowd of friends met me in line just in time. Next came the standard, waiting around in anticipation.

The smell of a moshpit is always an interesting one. Honestly, I’m used to smelling pot smoke at the concerts I go to. I didn’t smell THAT, but I smelled something. The show started at about 8:30-ish. The intro was so fitting to the venue. I know that the theater dates back to the 20’s, but the whole 1950’s “Let’s sit around the TV and be cute” thing was really appropriate. How do you describe this show? It was simply MAGIC. I managed to score the second row which was very nice.

Mika sounded so great and he looked…let me say, gorgeous. When he’d pass our part of the pit, I could catch little instances of complete joy in his face. Really, when he smiles it’s like your heart pumps confetti instead of blood. It’s more than just a handsome face, it’s this genuine happiness and appreciation that shines through him. The energy of the crowd was fierce, and Mika took notice. The first show in Chicago he was getting a feel for the crowd. It took him a bit longer to warm up to us. The second time around he knew us a lot better. Well, THIS TIME, was the BEST time. I felt the warmth of the audience (literally) and I knew he could too. He thanked the city several times.

At the end of the show I got a call from my sister who had staked out a spot in the alley for me and my friend Luis (lulu) and when I arrived at the spot I realized she and my other buddy Ritter were first in line. Thus, I too was first in line. It was pretty crowded, but when it started to rain I think people were a little less hopeful that he’d come out. If anything I expected him to wave and smile. But then again, I knew better. I had the same feeling I did at The Metro two years ago. “He’s gonna stay a while.” I didn’t have it last year at HOB, but I had it yesterday for sure.

I wasn’t nervous, I wasn’t contemplating my words…just reapplying my mascara. We waited, in total, for what felt like 45 minutes. John came out a few times from the back door. At one point a pizza was delivered inside as well. Kind of hilarious!

A line of average sized people trail out of the doorway holding umbrellas and then.... Mika, sky high and cloaked in a military style black coat. I noticed that first, come on now :) Actually first I noticed that smile. He wasted no time, though scanned the crowd with his eyes before trudging (with very large steps) toward me. By now it wasn’t a line, more of a row up in front and I was on the far right. So he darted toward me first, looking me straight in the eyes with that insanely adorable wide smile. I wasn’t aware of myself or conscious of how I was around him. It was the coolest I’ve been around Mika. Ha, as ridiculous of an analysis that is, I really mean it.

He walks toward me and I’m thinking, “Wow, me first huh? “ and “Awwwwwww.” So I asked him if he’d sign my album and he said “Of course!” He’s a pro now at that quick sharpie action. While signing the album my sister chimes in because she knew I wouldn’t fess up…Fess up to what? What else, that book I’m chained to for half a year that archives Mika’s every move and all of his adoring fans. “Hey Mika, she’s the editor of the fanclub’s yearbook.” So he continued to look at me and I think it dawned on him. So I continued the thought “Yeah, you know that book you get once a year from the MFC.” It’s very weird for me to take credit for anything that massive. It’s almost as though, If I were anyone else I’d be annoyed with THAT girl who pats herself on the back. So I don’t do that, ever. And I would never have mentioned it to him. It would have been too weird to say it. BUT, I am glad my sister did…. that sneaky girl.

So it was a simple moment. I don't see him very often. I can't globe trot. So this one show, this one little instance made me realize that I'm not insane for doing what I do for him. Because when he's up there and your down there...and he sings and you sing back to him, you'll see it in his face that there will never be anyone like him. He’s magic.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you always amazed me with your reports and stories!!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Did you take any pictures ? or are you me as well?:teehee:

Finally back!!!

pics and vids coming.

Yes, there were some rude people near me too,and they were badmouthing the MFC. :sneaky2:

Oh I'm so glad you got a chance to speak to him this time. Sounds like you had a much better night than the last gig. :naughty:

You seem so grown up now Melanie!

Oh I'm going to be on the lookout for this tie. Do you have any pics?

My friend tried to get me to go to that show but I was like pffft, I'm not chasing Mika all over the place. Boy did I live to eat those words. :aah:

Thanks for the report Scott! Welcome to MFC. :wink2:

Oh I'm so glad you got a chance to speak to him this time. Sounds like you had a much better night than the last gig. :naughty:

You seem so grown up now Melanie!

Yes, it was much better and I was wearing comfortable shoes this time. :teehee:

:blush-anim-cl: Thanks! I felt different this time, and two years will make a person change. It's just a confidence thing that I can attribute to my journalism major, I guess. :naughty:

hey, Chicago is expensive!

I didn't mind, I thought it was pretty funny, and more practical than a poster--

and I needed it to get home!

met Sara, a whole bunch of lovely people, just realized never got photo of the completed sign- we were almost done about 5:30 pm when security man said- you know they'll make you throw that out at the door? (it could be a weapon- I could suffocate someone with it!) he said- your only chance is to get someone backstage to hang it up for you- John was awfully sweet and accommodating, they did hang it on the barrier, then afterward it was dark, then rainy- but I have pictures of Mika holding it all folded up under his arm (it was about 4 yards long)

th_018.jpg

Oh wow! That looks great! I really wish my Mom let me go even though it was a school night (I'm not 15, I can take staying up late) so I could of been there. :(

It's cool seeing all the photos, but it also makes me sad knowing I was so close yet so far away from him.

All the photos on here are great guys!

I hope he comes back to Chicago soon.

My Mom said the Riviera theater was outdoors... I guess not since I see ceilings.

A million photos/videos were taken during the show, so I'll let others post them. You all know the setlist & everything from previous shows, it was fantastic, but very hot in there -- let's see what else...he wasn't barefoot!

he wore white shoes w/silver accents. minor zipper issues. during Love Today he had us all crouch down, close our eyes & then jump up all at once on the count of 3, THAT would have made a great photo... can't think of anything else, it was outstanding, can't wait to see him again!

That sounds so cool!!

The entire show sounded brilliant! That's for the reports and photos. Even though I couldn't go (:sneaky2:) at least I know what I missed instead of wondering.

Well, at least I can take comfort in knowing the next time he performs around me I'll be old enough to go no matter what day it's on and Mom can't say anything (Unless he decides to come back again for some reason this year, which I highly doubt[but would be so happy if he did] but I'll probably be another 2 or more years).

My Mom said the Riviera theater was outdoors... I guess not since I see ceilings.

hello, Buzzbuzz!

maybe she's thinking of Ravinia? that's a big outdoor theater, but north of Chicago, in the suburbs.

I really hope you get to go next time, too, it is worth it!

He gives 1000% every time!

Just a few pics of the rainy signing :)

Gosh, I've always thought his nose was adorable.:blush-anim-cl:

mikaweek09086.jpg

mikaweek09087.jpg

More to come, hopefully soon.

His hair is super shiny lol

I like his coat/jacket.

Thanks for posting them!