REPORTS/PICS/VIDS - Mika at Riviera Theater, Chicago, 2009-OCT-20

lollipop_monkey

He charged you $20 for THAT!:shocked:

Cheek!!!

hey, Chicago is expensive!

I didn't mind, I thought it was pretty funny, and more practical than a poster--

and I needed it to get home!

met Sara, a whole bunch of lovely people, just realized never got photo of the completed sign- we were almost done about 5:30 pm when security man said- you know they'll make you throw that out at the door? (it could be a weapon- I could suffocate someone with it!) he said- your only chance is to get someone backstage to hang it up for you- John was awfully sweet and accommodating, they did hang it on the barrier, then afterward it was dark, then rainy- but I have pictures of Mika holding it all folded up under his arm (it was about 4 yards long)

th_018.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind, I thought it was pretty funny, and more practical than a poster--

met Sara, a whole bunch of lovely people, just realized never got photo of the completed sign- we were almost done about 5:30 pm when security man said- you know they'll make you throw that out at the door? (it could be a weapon- I could suffocate someone with it!) he said- your only chance is to get someone backstage to hang it up for you- John was awfully sweet and accommodating, they did hang it on the barrier, then afterward it was dark, then rainy- but I have pictures of Mika holding it all folded up under his arm (it was about 4 yards long)

th_018.jpg

Ah, so it was to keep you dry too, fair enough.

John's a diamond, good of him to do that.

It looks fantastic, you guys did an amazing job on it:thumb_yello:

Ah good.

Saw the pic, and thought he was going to catch cold!

Glad he put a coat on.:thumb_yello:

That pic was taken inside. They were backstage. I don't think Mika is crazy enough to go outside in the rain and sign autographs in a t-shirt. :wink2:

Leona, I love that banner! Thanks so much for representing the MFC so

well! :biggrin2:

Glad you had such a great night!

hi Deb! my pleasure.

of course it's nothing compared to the real flag...

and earlier John came out looking for Big Girls, and I was able to give him the (much smaller!) sign from Feb 2008, he said he'd give it to Mika.

I don't know how Mika does it- last show there were a few gaps between songs where he could catch his breath, in between the 'show-y' parts, this was just full-out 97 minutes nonstop, I think he took 2 gulps of water, he was drenched by the end! No wonder he's so skinny!

I can see why people crowd around him even after they've gotten a signature, I couldn't take my eyes off him!

th_024.jpg

here he is holding it!

th_021-1.jpg

That pic was taken inside. They were backstage. I don't think Mika is crazy enough to go outside in the rain and sign autographs in a t-shirt. :wink2:

It looked like it was outside, guess it was the lighting:naughty:

outside in the rain

sign backstage

(Sara went to see if her cupcakes had been delivered, she got some great photos of them) I went with, was just standing right inside the door, asked a backstage guy if I could take a photo of the backstage, he said sure, you should take some from in front, it looks even better, & he helped me across the stage & over the barrier, so I wasn't going to say NO!

then I took a few photos of the theatre itself, I love old theatres, then a guy at (I don't know - the light board control thingy?) who had a British accent said- you know you really shouldn't be taking photos in here, now you'll go show all your mates what the show will look like- so I said- oops, sorry, I'll go, he made me feel a little bad, so I didn't show these to anyone in line (even though I was DYING to!

------------------

oops- I made a folder " Mika 2009" on Photobucket, I think that messed up all the links, so sorry, I'm new at this! I think all Mika stuff should be here.

now they're REALLY not in any order, but you can figure it out! click on this photo

th_042.jpg

Edited by leonita

inside the theatre th_013-1.jpg

it wouldn't kill them to repaint the ceiling every decade! It used to be a really pretty theatre, similar to HOB, but they don't keep this one up as well

th_012.jpg

I like this one

th_010.jpg

A million photos/videos were taken during the show, so I'll let others post them. You all know the setlist & everything from previous shows, it was fantastic, but very hot in there -- let's see what else...he wasn't barefoot!

he wore white shoes w/silver accents. minor zipper issues. during Love Today he had us all crouch down, close our eyes & then jump up all at once on the count of 3, THAT would have made a great photo... can't think of anything else, it was outstanding, can't wait to see him again!

th_018.jpg

Awesome sign, Leona, well done!!!! :thumb_yello: I'm so happy to hear that you had such a good time :wub2: And thanks for sharing pics!!

Rose, thanks for finding tweets!! People loved him again :naughty:

Wow- sounds amazing- you seem to have had such a lovely time Leona and everyone, I'm glad he came out and met you all. Love the look of the banner too.

I can see you've deluded yourself that you're going to just use that brolly as a brolly, but I wouldn't take it out of the house once I'd got it home!

Wow- sounds amazing- you seem to have had such a lovely time Leona and everyone, I'm glad he came out and met you all. Love the look of the banner too.

I can see you've deluded yourself that you're going to just use that brolly as a brolly, but I wouldn't take it out of the house once I'd got it home!

Hi SoSi! you're either up early, or late! well, I used it to get home tonight....might have to go in a frame now!

Gary Go was really good too- it must be so hard to open for Mika, but he did a good job. I won't chatter any longer, just let me say-

The world is such a wonderful place with MIKA in it!

and all the MFC too!

love you guys- goodnight.

just got home- AMAZING show!

we waited out in the rain, he finally came out, he signed my Songs for Sorrows book & I gave him the big gold banner we were working on all day (which said MFC, we were represented, they hung it on the barrier for us during the show!)!

then after he got on the bus, the security guard sold me the umbrella they were holding over his head for $20!!!

Mika is just plain AWESOME!!!

HiLeonita :huglove: So glad it went well for you :thumb_yello: Now don't go shredding that brolly for your crochet project! :roftl:

shanmcd: @mikasounds thank you thank you thank you and congrats on a great show tonight! Better than I expected or dared hope! half a minute ago from web

you're doing such a great job with the twitter updates Rose:thumb_yello:

th_018.jpg

the sign looks so cool and represents the MFC so beautifully:wub2:

so glad to hear you had such a great time Leonita!

hi Deb! my pleasure.

of course it's nothing compared to the real flag...

and earlier John came out looking for Big Girls, and I was able to give him the (much smaller!) sign from Feb 2008, he said he'd give it to Mika.

I don't know how Mika does it- last show there were a few gaps between songs where he could catch his breath, in between the 'show-y' parts, this was just full-out 97 minutes nonstop, I think he took 2 gulps of water, he was drenched by the end! No wonder he's so skinny!

I can see why people crowd around him even after they've gotten a signature, I couldn't take my eyes off him!

th_024.jpg

here he is holding it!

th_021-1.jpg

Fabulous pics, Leonita :wub2:

Thanks for the reports , did any one make it as a Big Girl?

Good job on the flag :biggrin2:

(thanks- we all worked on it all day)

(as you can see I'm still up!)

oh- sorry, forgot that part- FOUR girls were picked out of the line & they were

FANTASTIC!

live review and gallery :wink2:

A bit of Freddie Mercury, a bit of Wham!, some of Elton’s glitter, heartfelt power ballads, maybe some Flaming Lips big balloon showmanship and effortless, fervent crowd interaction, a Tron jacket, dayglo clothing, trashcan drumming, a giant teacup, marionettes—you couldn’t really ask for all that in one night out, especially one that gets you home by 10:30? Could you?

Twenty-six year old pop star Mika (raised in Beirut and London) strutted, scissor-kicked, wore a dayglo feather hat and sang high notes all over the place at the Riviera—all the while sincerely convinced that this was the best American audience he’d ever had the pleasure (or “honor”) of dazzling. But I got the feeling he’d dazzled a few. Late in the set, he said his band was playing bigger venues every time it came through “to the surprise even of my record company.” I wouldn’t doubt it—the crowd sang along—and generally freaked out in near Beatlemania-style hysteria to every electricity-charged move he made—and at about 13 moves per second that’s a lot of freaking.

Like someone who’s been practicing pop star moves in his parent’s full-length mirror since he was out of diapers, every cut and turn, kick, pop, smile and banter from Mika seems like it was designed for maximum entertainment. But just as practiced and deftly executed were Mika’s songs—as he soared into vocal stratospheres, cruised the falsetto register, the guy never slips or struggles. That’s entertainment.

The singer’s ambiguous sexuality plays to a large cross-section of pop fan’s fantasies—young ladies and grown gay men seemed equally enraptured with his dramatic dance pop. One couple arrived at 4:30pm to get a place at stage front. Try finding Mika on the radio and you’ll come up empty—but last night’s gig felt like a sign that this singer’s moment has come—at least in Chicago, his popularity is soaring.

Around 8:30pm, after peeling himself out of a white spacesuit, the slim singer rushed the stage moments later in all-white—probably the greatest stage entrance I’ve seen this year.

Early in the set, “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” got the disco dance party going—like Boney M chomping on a plate of baklava—outdoing the entire Scissor Sisters catalog in just a few minutes. Mika opened his suitcase during “Dr. John.” “Blue Eyes,” which has an Afropop rhythm, came soon after—complete with big blue eyed props. After a marionette interlude, the band threw current single “Blame It On the Girls” at us.

The theatricality included more than Mika’s spacesuit, and entrance and exit with a suitcase full of props and designer suit jackets—with a subtle (the only subtlety of the night) reference to the Music Man. And tunes like “Billy Brown,” a flippant pop number a married guy who falls for another fellow, was particularly theatrical—like a West End musical erupting in the middle of Uptown. Mika’s diva ballad “I See You” came next—with spotlights and strings schmaltzing things up—it might have been a bit too much even for Mika, almost too straight-faced, perhaps, except that it ended with a confetti cannon storm on stage, which made it strangely okay.

The regular keys and bass-heavy set (with Mika taking to electric piano and singing horn solos) climaxed with the magnificent “We Are Golden” from The Boy Who Knew Too Much before Mika took his showman’s suitcase away, but soon he and his five-piece band were back with the less-charming cabaret-inspired “Toy Boy,” then his should-have-been-a-hit-here UK number one “Grace Kelly,” then whacking trash cans for a chaotic farewell “Lollipop.” Like a party ending at just the right time, Mika, like an expert host—threw us out thoroughly dazzled.

The only trouble will be topping show number three the next time around. Maybe Dick Van Dyke has some suggestions for that one.

Read more: http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/2009/10/mika-at-riviera-theatre-live-review-and-gallery/#ixzz0UYbyUBV9

Edited by DANI56