London Evening Standard on itunes gig

robertina

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-23727257-details/Hugely+entertaining+show+from+Mika/review.do?reviewId=23727257

Hugely entertaining show from Mika

By Rick Pearson, 03.08.09

Mika is musical Marmite: you either love him or hate him. Since bursting on to the scene with the helium-assisted hit Grace Kelly, the singer-songwriter has treaded the line between inspiration and irritation.

After a year away from the spotlight, he returned to London to headline the final night of the iTunes Festival. Bounding on to stage in white dungarees, black top hat and Clockwork Orange-style eye make-up, Mika looked his usual understated self.

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) was a funky song about chunky women; Stuck In The Middle highlighted that he could play piano as well as jump up and down on it.

So far, so Mika — but his new material suggested a more interesting direction. Blame It On The Girls was a bouncy bossa nova, while Blue Eyes echoed Graceland-era Paul Simon in its African hi-life guitars.

Throughout, Mika’s voice was outstanding. Though not quite the Freddie you feel he’d like to be, he does possess a soaring falsetto to rival any of today’s queen bees.

If there were still times when you wished he would buzz off (Love Today secured its place in my Most Annoying Songs Of All Time list, and there was really no need to remove his shirt during the encore), then these were forgivable within the context of a hugely entertaining and very energetic show.

short, but i liked the reference to Clockwork Oranged recognized.:thumb_yello:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout, Mika’s voice was outstanding. Though not quite the Freddie you feel he’d like to be, he does possess a soaring falsetto to rival any of today’s queen bees.

Arrrrghhh... how many more times :poke:

Thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

Hm, Love Today is my all time favorite song :wub2:

:fangurl:... Love Today is my fave too :wub2: (btw it was lovely to meet you tiibet :blush-anim-cl:)

Oh, and t4p Robi :thumb_yello:

Throughout, Mika’s voice was outstanding. ...... hugely entertaining and very energetic show.

Some nice comments.

Pity there weren't more critics at SW, though, to see the other side of Mika.

Thanks for posting that Robi.

Lord, I wish they'd let the Freddie thing go, they're OBSESSED!!!:shocked:

And stop knocking Love Today!!!:sneaky2:

Otherwise, pretty good review.:thumb_yello:

Thanks for posting that Robi.

Lord, I wish they'd let the Freddie thing go, they're OBSESSED!!!:shocked:

And stop knocking Love Today!!!:sneaky2:

Otherwise, pretty good review.:thumb_yello:

Yes, I agree, the continuous comparisons with Freddie-thing gets on my nerves - hate to think how bloody irritated Mika must get at it!

And I also think 'Love Today' is inspired - one of my all-time fave songs!

The reviews are all, so far, ranging from mostly good to VERY positive; not seen one negative/snide one yet!!! Hooray! Thank you for posting!!

Yes, I agree, the continuous comparisons with Freddie-thing gets on my nerves - hate to think how bloody irritated Mika must get at it!

And I also think 'Love Today' is inspired - one of my all-time fave songs!

The reviews are all, so far, ranging from mostly good to VERY positive; not seen one negative/snide one yet!!! Hooray! Thank you for posting!!

I sometimes think Mika must wake up every morning and slap himself for putting that Freddie namecheck in the GK lyrics :doh:.

The reviews are so encouraging; there are still a few snide digs in there, at his dress sense and flamboyance, but what I love is that reviewers are recognising his songwriting talent now.

I sometimes think Mika must wake up every morning and slap himself for putting that Freddie namecheck in the GK lyrics :doh:.

The reviews are so encouraging; there are still a few snide digs in there, at his dress sense and flamboyance, but what I love is that reviewers are recognising his songwriting talent now.

exactly, it's more about the songwriting now, which is what it should have been about in the first place...

Oh well, better late than never! :aah:

Exactly! :thumb_yello:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-23727257-details/Hugely+entertaining+show+from+Mika/review.do?reviewId=23727257

Hugely entertaining show from Mika

By Rick Pearson, 03.08.09

Mika is musical Marmite: you either love him or hate him. Since bursting on to the scene with the helium-assisted hit Grace Kelly, the singer-songwriter has treaded the line between inspiration and irritation.

After a year away from the spotlight, he returned to London to headline the final night of the iTunes Festival. Bounding on to stage in white dungarees, black top hat and Clockwork Orange-style eye make-up, Mika looked his usual understated self.

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) was a funky song about chunky women; Stuck In The Middle highlighted that he could play piano as well as jump up and down on it.

So far, so Mika — but his new material suggested a more interesting direction. Blame It On The Girls was a bouncy bossa nova, while Blue Eyes echoed Graceland-era Paul Simon in its African hi-life guitars.

If there were still times when you wished he would buzz off (Love Today secured its place in my Most Annoying Songs Of All Time list, and there was really no need to remove his shirt during the encore), then these were forgivable within the context of a hugely entertaining and very energetic show.

short, but i liked the reference to Clockwork Oranged recognized.:thumb_yello:

:wub2:

Yes, I completely agree, Gatagordinha. There are a few little digs in some of the reviews but as I said, mostly the reviews are, at the least, good overall (based, as you rightly identify on his songwriting and singing ability), and at the really complimentary end of the spectrum, there are some reviews which are quite glowing, even almost gushingly so!

Even if (some) critics were hailing him as pop's new prince in 2007 I imagine that many may have cynically thought he was just going to be a 'flash in the pan'. The music critics are now having to acknowledge that he is a serious singer/songwriter/performer and he was never just a passing 'fad', never to heard of again - better late than never I suppose!!!