PLEASE ONLY RSVP if you ARE going or MIGHT be going as a courtesy to

those reading the thread -- don't want to have to scroll through hundreds

of NO's. THANKS!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A word of warning for anyone going to Brighton and planning to get there early and queue for a front row place.

This venue has absolutely the WORST organisation of any venue we have ever visited.

The last time MIKA played here we arrived at about midday and were among the first 10 or so people there. It was a horrendous, windy, rainy day and there was very little shelter for those of us queuing, but we thought it would be worth 7 hours of discomfort if it meant we got to be in the front row.

They opened the doors at about 6.30 but once inside there were 4 or 5 separate entrances to the main hall, all of which were still locked. We asked which doors would be opened first and were told they all open at the same time so we chose the one on the right hand side nearest the stage (assuming that when they opened we would be closest to the stage and therefore assured a spot in the front row) After about an hour of waiting outside the hall you can probably guess what happened next, we could just see through the doors into the hall as people flooded in from every door other than the one we were waiting by. Even when we pointed this out to the stupid woman who was supposed to be unlocking our door, she still wouldn't let us in until she had "had the OK" to do so. The net result was we had spent 6 hours getting soaked and freezing our arses off and still ended up about 10 rows back.

The door staff were completely lacking in character and there was no banter with them during the day. In fact, the only time they spoke to us was when they were barking at us to move when they altered the barriers, as the queue got longer. I couldn't prove it but I got the impression that because we dared to ask which door would be opened first that we were deliberately held back, could be wrong but given their attitude for the rest of the day we wouldn't be surprised.

To add insult to injury once inside we had some demented woman behind us who thought we should move out of the way and let her kids push their way to the front just because they were little and couldn't see properly, when we refused and pointed out that we had been queuing all day and still ended up where we were, we ended up getting sarcastic comments and personal insults for the whole all night from their group, I had no intention of getting thrown out after queing for so long so I held my tongue while the gig was on. One of the men made a comment as we were leaving but perhaps not surprisingly he went very quiet when I squared up to him and asked him to repeat what he had said. Got home to find the back of my shirt has been splashed with lip gloss or something similar....what lovely people.

All in all it was without a doubt our worst gigging experience, although MIKA was bloody brilliant, but even for MIKA we won’t be booking for this venue again.

I'm not trying to put anyone off going to the Brighton gig but just be aware that you might not end up in the front row

Edited by Jesterkevin

A word of warning for anyone going to Brighton and planning to get there early and queue for a front row place.

This venue has absolutely the WORST organisation of any venue we have ever visited.

[/size]

Sorry to hear about that :huglove:

There are seated areas available - I've gone for one of those because I will be arriving late-ish :thumb_yello:

What a bad experience you had Jesterkevin :shocked:

Fortunately, I have booked seated ticket because I am coming on my own from France and I don't know when I arrive...

By the way, where is that place exactly ?

"Centre" is it the name of the venue ?

By the way, where is that place exactly ?

"Centre" is it the name of the venue ?

The venue is called "The Brighton Centre" and it is very easy to find. It is right on the seafront and is about a 5 minute walk west of the main Pier.

brightoncentre.jpg

I dont think it is that bad of a venue!!

Ive been there to see MIKA and the Hoosiers... and even though i didnt arrive at like midday, i got there half an hour before doors opened - I still managed to get to about 15 rows back!! and i could still see perfectly well! x:teehee:

Jesterkevin - I've always hated this venue too. I've been there twice (Razorlight & Stereophonics), and I just find the place lacking in atmosphere, feels like a sports hall and because the floor is flat it means there's not much chance of a good view if you're not near the front. I find the Brighton Dome so much better, but I guess it doesn't have the capacity.

Anyway, I have friend down there, so I will be going - don't think I'll be there before doors open time though (and sounds like it won't make much difference anyway!) Hoping to also go to Hammersmith Apollo which is a great venue for Mika and one of my favourite large venues.

The last time MIKA played here we arrived at about midday and were among the first 10 or so people there. It was a horrendous, windy, rainy day and there was very little shelter for those of us queuing, but we thought it would be worth 7 hours of discomfort if it meant we got to be in the front row.

They opened the doors at about 6.30 but once inside there were 4 or 5 separate entrances to the main hall, all of which were still locked. We asked which doors would be opened first and were told they all open at the same time so we chose the one on the right hand side nearest the stage (assuming that when they opened we would be closest to the stage and therefore assured a spot in the front row) After about an hour of waiting outside the hall you can probably guess what happened next, we could just see through the doors into the hall as people flooded in from every door other than the one we were waiting by. Even when we pointed this out to the stupid woman who was supposed to be unlocking our door, she still wouldn't let us in until she had "had the OK" to do so. The net result was we had spent 6 hours getting soaked and freezing our arses off and still ended up about 10 rows back.

The door staff were completely lacking in character and there was no banter with them during the day. In fact, the only time they spoke to us was when they were barking at us to move when they altered the barriers, as the queue got longer. I couldn't prove it but I got the impression that because we dared to ask which door would be opened first that we were deliberately held back, could be wrong but given their attitude for the rest of the day we wouldn't be surprised.

To add insult to injury once inside we had some demented woman behind us who thought we should move out of the way and let her kids push their way to the front just because they were little and couldn't see properly, when we refused and pointed out that we had been queuing all day and still ended up where we were, we ended up getting sarcastic comments and personal insults for the whole all night from their group, I had no intention of getting thrown out after queing for so long so I held my tongue while the gig was on. One of the men made a comment as we were leaving but perhaps not surprisingly he went very quiet when I squared up to him and asked him to repeat what he had said. Got home to find the back of my shirt has been splashed with lip gloss or something similar....what lovely people.

All in all it was without a doubt our worst gigging experience, although MIKA was bloody brilliant, but even for MIKA we won’t be booking for this venue again.

I'm not trying to put anyone off going to the Brighton gig but just be aware that you might not end up in the front row

I've been to this venue twice (Blur and Franz) and agree - it's not really worth queing for .... When I went to see Blur - we went by train ... which due to a fire very near the line near Brighton got halted at a stop about 30 - 40 minutes away from Brighton .... we had to queue with the entire trainload of passengers ... which numbered in the hundreds .... :( at a taxi rank ... as we were pushed for time as it was ... we didn't think we'd get a good spot at all once we got there .... doors were already open by this time .... when we got to the venue - they were running really late with soundchecking ... Blur believe it or not .... had got the same train as us ... (we'd been to see them at a tv show and had followed them down from London) - so they actually hadn't even opened any of the other doors yet ... for once what Kevin mentions worked in our favour ... most of the other people were sat around on the floor drinking ... we just stood near a set of doors we were told were nearest to the stage ... once they opened - we did get front row .... luckily .... not so lucky for others who had queued .... It got reversed though for Franz ... I was already in Brighton by 8.00am .... queued from about 12.00pm .... again what happened with the doors that Kevin descibed happened again .... this time I wasn't lucky .... I got middle 4th/5th row and I was gutted ... I'd been the first one there :( .... but it was Editors and The Rakes for support acts ... and the pushing and moshing was crazy - I actually got pushed during that time into 3rd row ... then second ... then finally before Franz came on into the barrier .... right in front of Alex .... but just be warned ... this definitely does happen .... it sucks ... but it's a horrid venue for queuing ... it's just pure luck where you end up :aah:

• 2 weeks later...

Never been to this venue before... never actually been to Brighton before... So, a couple of questions....

Anyone know if you can get a train from Portsmouth to Brighton without changing?!?!? I'll be going after school which finishes at 3pm. Hoping that there'll be a train that gets me there on time!!

And second, is the train station in walking distance? I can always get a taxi or something, but was kinda hoping there wouldn't be much more on top of the price of the tickets?

Thanks.

Punkie

xxx

Never been to this venue before... never actually been to Brighton before... So, a couple of questions....

Anyone know if you can get a train from Portsmouth to Brighton without changing?!?!? I'll be going after school which finishes at 3pm. Hoping that there'll be a train that gets me there on time!!

And second, is the train station in walking distance? I can always get a taxi or something, but was kinda hoping there wouldn't be much more on top of the price of the tickets?

Thanks.

Punkie

xxx

I can't help you with the Portsmouth to Brighton question .. but yes .. once you get to Brighton the venue isn't far from the station ... about 10 mins walk :thumb_yello:

I just had a look at trains and there are some direct ones:

Portsmouth Harbour: 15:29, 16:29, 16:40

Portsmouth & Southsea: 15:33, 16:33, 16:46

Are you planning to catch the train back that night - that might be trickier.

If you look here, you will see where station is in relation to Brighton Centre: http://www.brightoncentre.co.uk/scripts/i5.exe?book=bc022006&page=Find.BCMap

I second this, I was there on that day and the venue staff were ALL plonkers and it was just as Kev says, I wont be going back here either:sneaky2: Bring back the days of concorde 2!

I just had a look at trains and there are some direct ones:

Portsmouth Harbour: 15:29, 16:29, 16:40

Portsmouth & Southsea: 15:33, 16:33, 16:46

Are you planning to catch the train back that night - that might be trickier.

If you look here, you will see where station is in relation to Brighton Centre: http://www.brightoncentre.co.uk/scripts/i5.exe?book=bc022006&page=Find.BCMap

Thanks!! Really helpful!!!! Just one last question, just to be annoying, any idea what time it would finish? Because, yes, I am going to try and get the train back.... I've had a quick check of the ones later on, but none of them (after 11 anyway) would get me back in time for the last boat to the Isle of Wight!!!! Oh, the joys of living on an Island!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks again. :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Went to the last Brighton gig - when I lived in London - and had to leave during the encore in order to catch the last train back. So I had no idea about the tradition of a stage invasion until I went to Sadlers Wells, as I hadn't been to a full concert before. :-(

I'm best mates with Punkie, and hopefully we will be going to the Birghton gig along with 3 other mates!

My mum has said that if everyone contributes to fuel and boat costs, she'll drive us, hang around in Brighton and then collect us when it's all over. Because if we got the train, we'd have to leave early and most likely still wouldn't be back in Portsmouth in time to get the last boat back to the Island...

So just a quick question, but does anyone know roughly how long the gig would go on for, just so my Mum can decide on travel plans...If possible, can someone please get in touch soonish, or we may run out of time to order the tickets :(

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

LLM

xx