The Gossip get excited by Mika at Oxegen

so_rococo

The Gossip get excited by Mika at Oxegen

Beth Ditto says it's her 'second most emotional show ever'

3 hours ago

The Gossip revealed they were excited by Mika today at Oxegen Festival today (July 7).

Singer Beth Ditto said that they met the singer backstage.

She told the audience: "Do you know who I met backstage who I've been waiting a long time to meet? Mika! I was very excited. I came in my pants a little bit. I didn't tell him. You know, I'm not very good at keeping cool when I have to."

The Gossip played a furious set that included 'Listen Up!' and 'Jealous Girls'.

Reacting to the small minority of boos the band got after their cover of Wham's 'Careless Whisper', Ditto said: "What I want you to remember is that there's no such thing as perfect. Ever. The most beautiful people in the world are the poorest, most ugly people. The most beautiful music in the world is the most difficult. So if that mean I'm ugly and if that means this band is **** then I'm proud not the be perfect."

Despite this, Ditto revealed that the performance was very special for her.

She said: "We played All Tomorrow's Parties with Sleater-Kinney one year and I've got to say this the second most emotional performance we've ever done. I don't know what you've guys done to me. Maybe I just have really bad PMS."

Before closing with an extended version of 'Standing In The Way Of Control', the group introduced a version of Aaliyah's 'Are U That Somebody?' by saying: "Aaliyah rest in peace. Timbaland live on."

The Gossip played:[/b]

'Eyes Open'

'Jason's Basement'

'Rebel Girl'

'Careless Whisper'

'Listen Up!'

'Coal To Diamonds'

'Jealous Girls'

'Are U That Somebody'

'Yr Mangled Heart'

'Standing In The Way Of Control'

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really like about this story is that it totally disproves that Guardian journalist's insinuations that any intelligent fat chick--like Beth Ditto--will hate Mika for his "Big Girl" single because it is "patronizing." Yay, they like each other. It always makes me happy when that happens.

--Jack

What I really like about this story is that it totally disproves that Guardian journalist's insinuations that any intelligent fat chick--like Beth Ditto--will hate Mika for his "Big Girl" single because it is "patronizing." Yay, they like each other. It always makes me happy when that happens.

--Jack

It really annoyed me that article! The Guardian have been really harsh on several occasions and that comment made me feel uncomfortable as I was in the video and love the song and Mika's stuff in general.........but it made me (not personally but as a representative of "big women") out to be a stupid person if I couldn't see that he was being contrived and patronising.

I note that he said on a recent interview that he's being harranged an a daily basis about the song with people asking if it's about the size 0 culture. I do wish interviewers would do their homework or at least listen to what he has to say about a subject before throwing in their 5 pennys worth!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:furious:

Vix x (A very clever and very big girl!!!!):thumb_yello:

I got an email from Oxygen and didn't know if it were true that MIKA was there.

His illness obviously blown all out of proportion. Hate to think how much he will be fined for cancelling his gigs!!

But if he did have even a cold he couldn't fly. I was gonna be cabin crew but as I suffer with hayfever wouldn't have been able to fly much and have to do ground duties. So that could be the reason. Whoever said it was serious like pneumonia needs shooting as that is cruel. I know someone who died of it! in the 21st century!! so press agents don't over exaggerate anymore.

Well done Beth she rawks!

xx

I got an email from Oxygen and didn't know if it were true that MIKA was there.

His illness obviously blown all out of proportion. Hate to think how much he will be fined for cancelling his gigs!!

But if he did have even a cold he couldn't fly. I was gonna be cabin crew but as I suffer with hayfever wouldn't have been able to fly much and have to do ground duties. So that could be the reason. Whoever said it was serious like pneumonia needs shooting as that is cruel. I know someone who died of it! in the 21st century!! so press agents don't over exaggerate anymore.

Well done Beth she rawks!

xx

Roskilde said pneumonia cause someone from Mika's staff said pneumonia... That's not "some" press agent...

He can't cancel a festival like Roskilde because of pneumonia without showing a note from a doctor that says he has pneumonia - that was NOT a press agent saying weird things, that was THEM getting out of a deal by telling a lie!

I burst out laughing when Beth said about coming in her pants a little bit when she met him. We all know the affects Mika can have on us :wink2:

ha ha:lmao: yeah exactly... i'm glad she goes through the same thing as us :roftl:

"What I want you to remember is that there's no such thing as perfect. Ever. The most beautiful people in the world are the poorest, most ugly people. The most beautiful music in the world is the most difficult. So if that mean I'm ugly and if that means this band is **** then I'm proud not the be perfect."

That totally just gave me a moment.

Reacting to the small minority of boos the band got after their cover of Wham's 'Careless Whisper', Ditto said: "What I want you to remember is that there's no such thing as perfect. Ever. The most beautiful people in the world are the poorest, most ugly people. The most beautiful music in the world is the most difficult. So if that mean I'm ugly and if that means this band is **** then I'm proud not the be perfect."

Oh. Beth proves to be just as fantastic chic as I thought her to be. :blink:

It's a great quote, isn't it? It makes me feel good. :) I kind of want to post it somewhere... :D

Yeah, it's worth of posting. Wish I'd have been there. :punk: Ditto rocks.

And would've wanted to experience the duet.

Even a youtube version would be nice. :blink:

...or audio.

I saw Mika and Beth Ditto at Oxygen festival last night on BBC3. A good performance but to me it seemed Beth was out of her league. Did she have the lyrics in her hand too?

If they'd only met briefly before the performance, then it showed a little on stage I thought. Was her mic turned off too? Mika had more volume.

She's great with her band but it just goes to show, stick to your own songs!

Shari