Yesterday NY state senate passed the Marriage Equality bill. GO NEW YORK!

:wub2: It´s a bit sad that we're celebrating this actually.. it´s about human rights ya know? it should be always there but anyway it´s a great thing:wub2:

• 1 month later...
man... long time i didn't come here...

so... what i lost here??

:group_hug::huglove:

I don't think much has changed around here. :aah:

But I did realize something life-changing. It's a very sensitive topic, I've already said it once, I'd rather not again. :boxed:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I'm not sure if this thread will come back to life again, but here goes nothing.

So uh, hi everyone.

I'm a huge supporter of gay rights and equality in general, so I figured this thread might be a good place for me.

I'm kind of not willing to label my sexuality but let's just say that I'm open-minded. Yes, I've has crushes on boys and yes, I've had crushes on girls. At the moment I'm in a relationship with an incredible man. But when it comes to the whole queer/gay culture thingy I've always felt sort of at home. Even when I was a kid I always felt like I could always relate to the quirky, ambiguous/androgynous characters. And even though all of the things mentioned before are a huge part of my identity I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Maybe it's because I know I can never tell my family about these things and I can never live a truely free life. Luckily I have a lot of gay friends who understand and support me, but sometimes it feels like the prejudice and hate of the surrounding world is overwhelming.

I hope even some of this made sense. I kind of needed to get these things off my chest. :teehee:

Okay, I'm not sure if this thread will come back to life again, but here goes nothing.

So uh, hi everyone.

I'm a huge supporter of gay rights and equality in general, so I figured this thread might be a good place for me.

I'm kind of not willing to label my sexuality but let's just say that I'm open-minded. Yes, I've has crushes on boys and yes, I've had crushes on girls. At the moment I'm in a relationship with an incredible man. But when it comes to the whole queer/gay culture thingy I've always felt sort of at home. Even when I was a kid I always felt like I could always relate to the quirky, ambiguous/androgynous characters. And even though all of the things mentioned before are a huge part of my identity I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Maybe it's because I know I can never tell my family about these things and I can never live a truely free life. Luckily I have a lot of gay friends who understand and support me, but sometimes it feels like the prejudice and hate of the surrounding world is overwhelming.

I hope even some of this made sense. I kind of needed to get these things off my chest. :teehee:

I'm happy to see this thread bumped :thumb_yello:

You can always talk to friends here :thumb_yello:

I'm straight but I still love and always will love my gay boyfriend, childhood sweetheart and I have a straight, very down to earth and boring husband ...

I guess I'm lost too in a way :teehee:

I'm gayfriendly and there's nothing I hate as much as labelling and putting people into boxes...

Everyone should be happy with the one they love, whoever that person is, as long as every person invloved is happy :blush-anim-cl:

Love is so beautiful and rare, so all its shaped should be welcomed and treasured :wub2:

I'm happy to see this thread bumped :thumb_yello:

You can always talk to friends here :thumb_yello:

I'm straight but I still love and always will love my gay boyfriend, childhood sweetheart and I have a straight, very down to earth and boring husband ...

I guess I'm lost too in a way :teehee:

I'm gayfriendly and there's nothing I hate as much as labelling and putting people into boxes...

Everyone should be happy with the one they love, whoever that person is, as long as every person invloved is happy :blush-anim-cl:

Love is so beautiful and rare, so all its shaped should be welcomed and treasured :wub2:

Aww, that means a lot to me. Thank you. :huglove:

I love how you expressed perfectly how I feel about this issue! I always say that too: love is such a beautiful thing that it shouldn't be something you have to hide from the world or be ashamed about and it's also something everyone deserves.

A while back I saw this little screencap from someone's Facebook status. Here's what it said:

"I just asked my 11 year old autistic brother what he would do if he saw 2 boys holding hands. He said "People would think it is weird but I don't, I like holding hands with cats, I think if you love something you can hold its hand." We have a winner."

Need I say more? :wub2:

So uh, hi everyone.

i'm glad you decided to share..:original:

i def consider myself 'queer', even though i'm married to the most awesome man...i identify closely with the struggle and politics of the lgbt movement, plus all my gay friends are just more fun and creative..:wink2:

the point might be moot, since you're in a relationship with a guy at present, but i think it's sad you feel you can't live a 'free life' and maybe feel free to fall in love with a girl if your present relationship was to ever end. people can be very insensitive, and homophobic, especially when they don't know someone close to them in a same-sex relationship. this attitude might change if this loved one was to ever come out to them...

to illustrate: my mother straight out disowned me when i told her i had a girlfriend a few years ago (!). however she gradually came around and is now still friends with my ex...:boxed:

i guess what i'm trying to say in this ramble is don't let hate and prejudice keep you from trying to attain happiness - with whatever gender. it's cliched but the ppl who truly love you will do so regardless, and if they don't, you are better off without them in your life...

food for thought :huglove:

i'm glad you decided to share..:original:

i def consider myself 'queer', even though i'm married to the most awesome man...i identify closely with the struggle and politics of the lgbt movement, plus all my gay friends are just more fun and creative..:wink2:

the point might be moot, since you're in a relationship with a guy at present, but i think it's sad you feel you can't live a 'free life' and maybe feel free to fall in love with a girl if your present relationship was to ever end. people can be very insensitive, and homophobic, especially when they don't know someone close to them in a same-sex relationship. this attitude might change if this loved one was to ever come out to them...

to illustrate: my mother straight out disowned me when i told her i had a girlfriend a few years ago (!). however she gradually came around and is now still friends with my ex...:boxed:

i guess what i'm trying to say in this ramble is don't let hate and prejudice keep you from trying to attain happiness - with whatever gender. it's cliched but the ppl who truly love you will do so regardless, and if they don't, you are better off without them in your life...

food for thought :huglove:

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's reaction. That's awful. :tears: All that just because you told her you had a girlfriend... I'm glad the situation with her got better, but when your own parents do something like that (even if it's for a short period of time) it's always extremely hurtful and sad.

I don't think my parents would react in such an extreme way, but you never know... It's always okay to be gay or whatever when it's not your own child. I think if I was to ever break up with my current boyfriend and start dating a girl they'd think I was having a rough time in my life and I'd gone nuts somehow and was completely lost. Like it's some sort of a phase that will pass.

And thank you for your kind words. What you said is so true. :huglove:

I realize that this is a very serious topic to discuss about :mf_rosetinted:

My dad said that most of the gays are really creative/have some special talents. Is this true or is he being sexist?

this is a good question! i've wondered about that too. hmmm... i reckon everyone has is creative & has special talents in their own way. perhaps it just seems as though "gay people" are more creative because they are more open & unafraid about sharing their talents than "straight people", maybe it has something to do with "gay people" are used to being open in other ways & "straight people" are repressed due to fear of being judged as gay or something. some "gay people" i know seem totally uncreative & some "straight people" are very creative. i dunno, i'm totally babbling!

btw, i'm bi. i told my over-Jesus obsessed, rather homophobic parents a few years ago, they prayed for me then seemed to forget about it so i never brought it up again. they probably thought it was just a phase :teehee:

I realize that this is a very serious topic to discuss about :mf_rosetinted:

My dad said that most of the gays are really creative/have some special talents. Is this true or is he being sexist?

that's a good question! it would seem that this is true, but i can't find any studies that back this up, and there are studies that show there is no link...it seems the accepted theory for this phenom is that gay people find it easier to express themselves/go against social norms, which translates to greater 'creativity'....so he's not really wrong, but he's not totally right either..:wink2:

EDIT: just saw kreacher's post...agreed!:thumb_yello:

this is a good question! i've wondered about that too. hmmm... i reckon everyone has is creative & has special talents in their own way. perhaps it just seems as though "gay people" are more creative because they are more open & unafraid about sharing their talents than "straight people", maybe it has something to do with "gay people" are used to being open in other ways & "straight people" are repressed due to fear of being judged as gay or something. some "gay people" i know seem totally uncreative & some "straight people" are very creative. i dunno, i'm totally babbling!

btw, i'm bi. i told my over-Jesus obsessed, rather homophobic parents a few years ago, they prayed for me then seemed to forget about it so i never brought it up again. they probably thought it was just a phase :teehee:

Congrats on your coming out sweetie :huglove:

First part of your post about the creativity thing: Agreed. :thumb_yello:

Second part of your post: I really respect you for coming out to your parents, it must have been difficult. So congratulations. :huglove:

Was it just a phase? :teehee:

Congrats on your coming out sweetie :huglove:

First part of your post about the creativity thing: Agreed. :thumb_yello:

Second part of your post: I really respect you for coming out to your parents, it must have been difficult. So congratulations. :huglove:

thank you!

Was it just a phase? :teehee:

no way. i like guys, i like girls, but what i like most is guys that look like girls... er, and Mika! :roftl:

no way. i like guys, i like girls, but what i like most is guys that look like girls... er, and Mika! :roftl:

Oooohhh that is what I like too!!! Guys that look like girls!!! :das: And guys like Rufus that do not 'look' gay - but ARE SO ahhhhh :swoon: