Just an update: Our candidate didn't win (it was not a surprise, the winner was someone who was kind of "planned" to be our president for last 6 years, he is an experienced and popular politician).

Still, the result was like a small victory, at least in my eyes. Last night over million Finnish people voted for a green, openly-gay man in our presidential election and it's a HUGE amount and can't be ignored. He did a fantastic campaign and changed our whole political atmosphere. I feel that people have now more faith and interest in our political system (just my opinion of course) and it's something very positive :thumb_yello:

I totally agree. :thumb_yello: It would've been great to see him win, but I'm happy he did so well. There's so much more to this whole thing than just winning the actual elections.

thanks for the update :thumb_yello:

i love your positive outlook on it tiibet, and as they say in politics, there's always next time :aah: it's very heartening that he did so well indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

today two things happened that rather disturbed me that i think are relevant to this thread.

1) i overheard my supervisor (let's call her D) talking with my co-worker (call him S) about another co-worker (an older gentleman let's call T). D told S she was out with her husband at a nice restaurant on valentine's day and she saw T, not with "his lady friend" but with another guy. When T arrived a short time later they teased him about eating out with another guy on valentine's day. WTF? it's hardly their business what T does with whom and when. Whether T is gay or not (i've never seen any sign that he is), i'm pretty sure that's sexual harassment. if one of them saw me eating out with my best friend (who happens to be happily married, to a guy) would they think the same thing about us and talk about it behind my back? what if i saw D or S out with a friend of the same gender; would D or S want me to tell our coworkers about & put D or S on the spot by teasing?

perhaps i'm just more sensitive about this than normal because just yesterday our city council passed a resolution about discriminating against gays in the workplace (YAY, it's about time!).

2) i saw a book called "A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality" WTF? :hair: when i saw that book i hissed a bit & nearly threw the book away. like parents can prevent their children from becoming homosexual... perhaps they could repress it or scare their children into not coming out to them, but i don't think it's preventable. it's not like preventing the spread of germs or preventing forest fires!

gah! :mad: sorry to vent but homophobic tw*ts piss me off to no end! :bonk:

Edited by kreacher

today two things happened that rather disturbed me that i think are relevant to this thread.

1) i overheard my supervisor (let's call her D) talking with my co-worker (call him S) about another co-worker (an older gentleman let's call T). D told S she was out with her husband at a nice restaurant on valentine's day and she saw T, not with "his lady friend" but with another guy. When T arrived a short time later they teased him about eating out with another guy on valentine's day. WTF? it's hardly their business what T does with whom and when. Whether T is gay or not (i've never seen any sign that he is), i'm pretty sure that's sexual harassment. perhaps i'm just more sensitive about this than normal because just yesterday our city council passed a resolution about discriminating against gays in the workplace (YAY, it's about time!).

Did you say anything to them or were you just kind of eavesdropping? I know that's not the best term for that but it's all I can think of right now. :teehee: Anyways I agree with you, that's totally uncalled for and rude.

2) i saw a book called "A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality" WTF? :hair: when i saw that book i hissed a bit & nearly threw the book away. like parents can prevent their children from becoming homosexual... perhaps they could repress it or scare their children into not coming out to them, but i don't think it's preventable. it's not like preventing the spread of germs or preventing forest fires!

I opened that link, started to read the summary of the book and stopped reading when "Listening to moving recollections from ex-homosexual men and women" came along.

I agree with the bolded part, too. And it's not like it should be considered as something preventable is it?

By the way, that whole "ex-homosexual" thing reminded me of a case that happened in Finland some time ago. This Christian organisation published a video on YouTube and it was a real life story of this girl who had been bisexual but then she had found Christ and was 'cured' and now she was engaged to a man and she was so happy about it. Basically their point in the video was that nowadays more and more people are gay because the media has such a bad impact on us and we see so many different things we can't separate what's right and what's wrong anymore. So they were offering the Bible as an answer (which was ridicilous because they were doing the exact same thing they were accusing others of: pushing their believes to people).

What I remember the best from the video was this thing the girl said. This is only a rough translation, but she basically said "Anyone can become harmonious if they find Christ. I mean, if a murderer can do that, why couldn't a gay person too?" So basically what you're saying is that committing a murder is as bad as loving someone from the same sex? Mkay, cool.

Did you say anything to them or were you just kind of eavesdropping? I know that's not the best term for that but it's all I can think of right now. :teehee: Anyways I agree with you, that's totally uncalled for and rude.

i was quietly doing my work, they were nearby in her office w/ the door open. i doubt they even knew i was there. i didn't say anything, i didn't think it was my place.

I opened that link, started to read the summary of the book and stopped reading when "Listening to moving recollections from ex-homosexual men and women" came along.

I agree with the bolded part, too. And it's not like it should be considered as something preventable is it?

i was reading the book's description and nearly vomited in my mouth so i skipped down to the reviews. thankfully there's more 1 star reviews than 5 star reviews but that's not going to help those who pick up the book at the library :aah:

exactly! my disgust largely stems from the fact that someone considered it nessassary to write such a book in the first place, and i'm sure there's many others like it, and that people fall for it.

By the way, that whole "ex-homosexual" thing reminded me of a case that happened in Finland some time ago. This Christian organisation published a video on YouTube and it was a real life story of this girl who had been bisexual but then she had found Christ and was 'cured' and now she was engaged to a man and she was so happy about it. Basically their point in the video was that nowadays more and more people are gay because the media has such a bad impact on us and we see so many different things we can't separate what's right and what's wrong anymore. So they were offering the Bible as an answer (which was ridicilous because they were doing the exact same thing they were accusing others of: pushing their believes to people).

What I remember the best from the video was this thing the girl said. This is only a rough translation, but she basically said "Anyone can become harmonious if they find Christ. I mean, if a murderer can do that, why couldn't a gay person too?" So basically what you're saying is that committing a murder is as bad as loving someone from the same sex? Mkay, cool.

one time when i was a teenager this "ex-gay" guy came and spoke at the church my mother forced me to attend. he gave his "testimony" of god turned his life around and how god gave him a wife and tried to sell us his book or whatever and a bunch of other bullsh*t. what i think the truth is is that he realized he could make a lot more money by faking that god turns his life around and cured him. here's his website. oh look, he has a new album out! :puke:

of course they'd use the bible to re-enforce their propaganda. the bible is full of anti-homosexual statements (which my mother reminds me about everytime i mention any one she thinks is gay).

i hate the whole 'homosexuality is a sin' arguement. oh yeah? so is judging others, as is getting a tattoo (because it's defacing god's temple) and cutting the hair on the sides of your head :aah:

see kreacher can talk about things other than Mika's butt :naughty:

i was quietly doing my work, they were nearby in her office w/ the door open. i doubt they even knew i was there. i didn't say anything, i didn't think it was my place.

Oh no, don't get me wrong! I don't think it was your responsibility to go and tell them off or anything since you weren't even a part of their conversation, I was just curious whether you said anything or not.

one time when i was a teenager this "ex-gay" guy came and spoke at the church my mother forced me to attend. he gave his "testimony" of god turned his life around and how god gave him a wife and tried to sell us his book or whatever and a bunch of other bullsh*t. what i think the truth is is that he realized he could make a lot more money by faking that god turns his life around and cured him. here's his website. oh look, he has a new album out! :puke:

I love how the main banner on his website is in the colour of a rainbow. Latent, much? :naughty:

of course they'd use the bible to re-enforce their propaganda. the bible is full of anti-homosexual statements (which my mother reminds me about everytime i mention any one she thinks is gay).

i hate the whole 'homosexuality is a sin' arguement. oh yeah? so is judging others, as is getting a tattoo (because it's defacing god's temple) and cutting the hair on the sides of your head :aah:

Guess I'm defacing god's temple an awful lot then, cutting my hair weirdly and getting piercings and planning on getting tattoos... :naughty:

You don't have to asnwer to this question if you feel uncomfortable about it, but I recall you once mentioned you're bisexual, right? Does your mum know about it?

As I've told plenty of times, my mum works for the church. But I'm proud that she's not homophobic, she actually voted for the gay president candidate. I haven't talked about homosexuality with her a lot because I feel kind of awkward about it since I have to hide my own orientation, but I think how she feels about it is that it's okay, there's nothing wrong with being a person who's of the same sex. The only negative thing I've heard her say is that she is a bit disgusted by bisexuals (oops, sorry mum!). She thinks it's weird and kind of perverse to be attracted by both sexes.

see kreacher can talk about things other than Mika's butt :naughty:

I'm glad you shared these things with us! :huglove::thumb_yello:

My parents aren't against it, they just don't understand it cos that's how they've been brought up, which can sometimes come across as homophobic.

My mum is also not very religious, not atheist, but we don't go to church like my grandma does.

:original:

you guys have said too much awesome stuff for me to quote :aah:

that situation with the co-workers kreacher - it's funny (not) how ppl never seem to realise how hypocritical and bigoted they are being :sneaky2:

i'm glad you now have those laws though - that's great! :calp:

i can NEVER understand CHRISTIANS who use the bible to justify their homophobia...it's so obvious it's jsut a prop for them...if you discount the old testament (which they should or they would've committed a million infractions by the end of a day) then you're left with jesus's words - and he never said anything against homosexuals - he never even mentioned them!

but he did say all kinds of things about loving each other and your neighbor (feel free to ignore bigots!)

any any-homosexual comments in the new testament come from the later books and are not ascribed to jesus...

anyways wtf, arguing with such ppl is a waste of breath :no:

Just thought i'd put these here:

MikaHRC1.gif

MikaHRC2.gif

MikaHRC3.gif

MikaHRC4.gif

this tiny little interview made me so proud to be his fan, it just makes my heart swell :wub2:

Me too, I was so proud of him when I saw that. :wub2:

Although it did amuse me when he accidentally said "I totally support sex marriage - uh same sex marriage". :roftl:

Oh no, don't get me wrong! I don't think it was your responsibility to go and tell them off or anything since you weren't even a part of their conversation, I was just curious whether you said anything or not.

I love how the main banner on his website is in the colour of a rainbow. Latent, much? :naughty:

Guess I'm defacing god's temple an awful lot then, cutting my hair weirdly and getting piercings and planning on getting tattoos... :naughty:

You don't have to asnwer to this question if you feel uncomfortable about it, but I recall you once mentioned you're bisexual, right? Does your mum know about it?

As I've told plenty of times, my mum works for the church. But I'm proud that she's not homophobic, she actually voted for the gay president candidate. I haven't talked about homosexuality with her a lot because I feel kind of awkward about it since I have to hide my own orientation, but I think how she feels about it is that it's okay, there's nothing wrong with being a person who's of the same sex. The only negative thing I've heard her say is that she is a bit disgusted by bisexuals (oops, sorry mum!). She thinks it's weird and kind of perverse to be attracted by both sexes.

I'm glad you shared these things with us! :huglove::thumb_yello:

it's your temple, you should get to decorate it how you like! :thumb_yello:

i told her & my stepdad a long time ago but they've either forgotten or thought it was just a phase because they've not brought it up since. i'm not one to burst their bubble, it's much easier to not argue because, as Nas says, it's a waste of breath.

you mom sounds very cool for someone who works for the church. what about the rest of your family?

i was begining to think i couldn't talk of anything but Mika's butt and/or how gorgeous he is :teehee:

you guys have said too much awesome stuff for me to quote :aah:

that situation with the co-workers kreacher - it's funny (not) how ppl never seem to realise how hypocritical and bigoted they are being :sneaky2:

i'm glad you now have those laws though - that's great! :calp:

i can NEVER understand CHRISTIANS who use the bible to justify their homophobia...it's so obvious it's jsut a prop for them... if you discount the old testament (which they should or they would've committed a million infractions by the end of a day) then you're left with jesus's words - and he never said anything against homosexuals - he never even mentioned them!

but he did say all kinds of things about loving each other and your neighbor (feel free to ignore bigots!)

any any-homosexual comments in the new testament come from the later books and are not ascribed to jesus...

anyways wtf, arguing with such ppl is a waste of breath :no:

wow that was very well argued! *scribbles down notes for next time my parents bring it up*

btw the bit about getting tattoos & cutting the sides of your hair was meant to demonstrate how some christians don't count the old testement, how they obey some of god's commandments and not others :thumb_yello:

Just thought i'd put these here:

MikaHRC1.gif

MikaHRC2.gif

MikaHRC3.gif

MikaHRC4.gif

this tiny little interview made me so proud to be his fan, it just makes my heart swell :wub2:

i'm so glad he said spoke out about the issue. just for that i wanna run up and hug his neck :teehee:

Right now it's a discussion going on amongst researchers whether homosexuality is a matter of choice, which of course it's not. I'm fully convinced you are born with your sexuality, gay or straight, and it's absolutely nothing you can do to change it.

I'm also convinced that science will prove me right in the future!:biggrin2:

It's sad that a book on this subject even exists!:sneaky2:

And don't even get me started on how religion treats this...it's just sick and inhuman! I live in a country where the church doesn't have much of an influence, at least not so far, and we recently got it written in the law that people has the right to be married in church no matter if they are same sex couple or not! But of course there is a lot of fuzz about it!:naughty:

wow that was very well argued! *scribbles down notes for next time my parents bring it up*

btw the bit about getting tattoos & cutting the sides of your hair was meant to demonstrate how some christians don't count the old testement, how they obey some of god's commandments and not others :thumb_yello:

true dat! @ first bolded part:thumb_yello:

and yea i tote got that - amazing how selective they are, aren't they...:sneaky2:

I'm just ignoring that bit :teehee: he's so adorable i don't care!!! :roftl::wub2:

oh yea i remember that :roftl: 'sex-marriage'....yea!!:naughty:

Well said! :lmfao:

i told her & my stepdad a long time ago but they've either forgotten or thought it was just a phase because they've not brought it up since. i'm not one to burst their bubble, it's much easier to not argue because, as Nas says, it's a waste of breath.

you mom sounds very cool for someone who works for the church. what about the rest of your family?[/color]

You're much braver than I am then. I've never told my family about it and to be honest I don't think it's any of their business.

My brothers don't care if someone's gay and my dad is kind of the same. But I bet if they knew about my orientation or I was to date a girl it would be a totally different case. :naughty: Nah not really, they'd probably be surprised but I don't think it would be an issue for them.

This is why I loved seeing this picture.

marriage.jpg

Marriage according to the Bible? Coolies!

Well said! :lmfao:

You're much braver than I am then. I've never told my family about it and to be honest I don't think it's any of their business.

My brothers don't care if someone's gay and my dad is kind of the same. But I bet if they knew about my orientation or I was to date a girl it would be a totally different case. :naughty: Nah not really, they'd probably be surprised but I don't think it would be an issue for them.

This is why I loved seeing this picture.

marriage.jpg

Marriage according to the Bible? Coolies!

o gawd :doh: *epic face palm*

sad, sad, sad....

:roftl: at the bolded part - it took me a while to figure out what you meant, because another meaning for that word is as a mostly derogatory word for people from india/indian descent....i was like 'huh? bible + coolies?':blink::roftl:

Right now it's a discussion going on amongst researchers whether homosexuality is a matter of choice, which of course it's not. I'm fully convinced you are born with your sexuality, gay or straight, and it's absolutely nothing you can do to change it.

Me too, but I also think your sexual orientation can change throughout your life. For some it does and for others it doesn't, but I don't think that makes it impossible for some people to sometimes feel more attracted to women and sometimes to men, especially if they consider themselves bisexual.

And don't even get me started on how religion treats this...it's just sick and inhuman! I live in a country where the church doesn't have much of an influence, at least not so far, and we recently got it written in the law that people has the right to be married in church no matter if they are same sex couple or not! But of course there is a lot of fuzz about it!:naughty:

And as usual, you Swedes are ahead of us. :naughty: I'm glad to hear about that though! Go Sverige!

o gawd :doh: *epic face palm*

sad, sad, sad....

:roftl: at the bolded part - it took me a while to figure out what you meant, because another meaning for that word is as a mostly derogatory word for people from india/indian descent....i was like 'huh? bible + coolies?':blink::roftl:

Oh my god (no pun intended :teehee: ), I'm so sorry! I had no idea. :blush-anim-cl:

go sweden!!:thumb_yello:

as kites said - i think it's a little more complex than gay or straight..sexuality is flexible and fluid in some people and why should that make the person worthy of persecution more than having a fluid or varied appetite in food, for instance?

definitely if you're at the extreme ends of the kinsey scale you were born that way - gay or straight..but there is an in between and there's nothing wrong with that..

Me too, but I also think your sexual orientation can change throughout your life. For some it does and for others it doesn't, but I don't think that makes it impossible for some people to sometimes feel more attracted to women and sometimes to men, especially if they consider themselves bisexual.

And as usual, you Swedes are ahead of us. :naughty: I'm glad to hear about that though! Go Sverige!

Oh my god (no pun intended :teehee: ), I'm so sorry! I had no idea. :blush-anim-cl:

:naughty:don't worry i believe you...:aah:

go sweden!!:thumb_yello:

as kites said - i think it's a little more complex than gay or straight..sexuality is flexible and fluid in some people and why should that make the person worthy of persecution more than having a fluid or varied appetite in food, for instance?

definitely if you're at the extreme ends of the kinsey scale you were born that way - gay or straight..but there is an in between and there's nothing wrong with that..

Oh absolutely! What I mean is that if you are forced, by church, society or whatever to change, who you really are it will make you very unhappy!:thumb_yello:

Oh absolutely! What I mean is that if you are forced, by church, society or whatever to change, who you really are it will make you very unhappy!:thumb_yello:

that's for sure!:aah:

thought i'd share le glee kids having this convo:

[YOUTUBE]HxsSio4DzWo[/YOUTUBE]

"one of the 12 apostles might've been gay and my guess is simon, cos that name is the gayest"

:roftl::roftl:

"one of the 12 apostles might've been gay and my guess is simon, cos that name is the gayest"

:roftl:

i think Simon Peter sounds gayer cuz peter is slang for... you know :teehee:

While i was reading this thread my mother and stepfather were discussing how if they ever encounter this lady i work with who used to be a guy they would refuse to call her by her new name and my stepfather asked if "those kind of people are usually gay" :doh:

only knowing i'd soon come here and get revenge by posting of their ignorant intolerance for the world to read kept me from slapping them right then and there :aah:

:lmfao:

The guy with the guitar looks like young Johnny Depp! :teehee:

While i was reading this thread my mother and stepfather were discussing how if they ever encounter this lady i work with who used to be a guy they would refuse to call her by her new name and my stepfather asked if "those kind of people are usually gay" :doh:

only knowing i'd soon come here and get revenge by posting of their ignorant intolerance for the world to read kept me from slapping them right then and there :aah:

The bolded part reminded me of this tweet:

Julian Casablancas @Casablancas_J

i love it when people use twitter to immortalize how dumb and rude they are

:lmfao:

Is your co-workers former gender an issue for people at your work place, by the way?

One of my friends is actually transsexual, as in he feels like he's a 'she'. (I'm going to call him she from now on out of respect towards her.) I'm not sure whether she wants to undergo that surgery or not, we've never really talked about that. I'm so proud of her because even though the school we went to together a couple years ago was so small and people there were complete a**holes she never let that bother her. She even wore a dress to her graduation party, in front of the whole school and all her relatives. She's so brave and I totally admire her for being so true to herself, not giving a damn about what other people say about her. :wub2:

• 1 month later...
Totally decided to dig up this thread today, cuz I just wanted to ask a question for anyone who feels like answering:

Did you always know about your sexuality or was something you came to discover?

I worked out when i was 12 that i wasn't straight but it took a while to work out why, if that makes sense... :blink: (gay/bisexual/human kinda thing)

but one of my friends who recently came out says she's only worked it out in the last year and a half :thumb_yello: