Mika new interview exclusive

veka

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Mika thought that Paul was unsure about the pronunciation of his name.. I think he was unsure whether Paul was just simply making fun of him or it was a way of him saying hello to a newbie on the music scene... and then he was happy to realise it wasn't the first....

After so many years of bullying, I would imagine Mika's thoughts were something like that.... Poor thing. I wonder how long he kept thinking about why Paul said that...

Yes, I agree, when you are bullied it can leave you with a psychological scar which makes you react defensively to comments like these when caught off guard. Bullying can make you feel people are making fun of you when they aren't, and it can be a lifelong handicap. I know because I'm like that. I sometimes miss teasing because my initial reaction is one of defensiveness.

At least Macca had the sensitivity to see that Mika hadn't got the joke and set him straight, awwww! I bet Mika felt a tiny bit silly then :naughty: .

Here it is if you still can't see it.

Q) Well, that’s quite some year you’ve had! Who surprised you most when you met them?

Dustin Hoffman. He made me realise the biggest are always the best. And Paul McCartney: the warmth and sincerity of what he says. I met Paul like a week ago and we walked past each other. He looked at me and he goes, ‘So, is it Me-ka or My-ka?’ and I was slightly despondent about that but I wasn’t rude as I get it all the time but I said, ‘Oh, it’s fine, it’s Me-ka.’

Q) You didn’t go mad?

I was fine about it. I didn’t say anything. Then he came up to me later that night and said, ‘You know what? I just have to tell you that I know your name is Mika. I think you took me seriously and I wanted to apologise. I know who you are and all about your music. Well done.’ And I thought to myself, ‘Wow, sometimes it pays not to be a dickhead once in a while. Know your place. Know who’s the boss and how it works out.’

Q) What are the rumours you’ve been working with Madonna?

I have absolutely no idea where they came from. They’ve been around about eight months and I keep denying it. I was even on Graham Norton the other night and I had to say, ‘It’s all make believe.’ He just looked a bit disappointed and went, ‘Oh!’ I think that was the only reason he booked me on his show.

Q) So, what does 2008 hold?

I’m on my American tour. Apparently, I sold out my New York show in a couple of days, which is amazing as we’re like a three- to four-thousand sized venue. Then I’m off to Canada to do arenas. I’m starting work on my second album. I already have, but I need more intense solitary work, just doing what I do. I will probably be doing a couple of slots at festivals in the Summer.

Q) Does second-album syndrome worry you at all?

I seem to have more of a sense of humour about it than most people. I just think as long as it is musically intense, really melodic and tells a story. I think a lot of the problem with artists is that they go, ‘I hate what I did!’ I created what I do out of my own volition to begin with so I’m not stuck in that awful situation where I’m just trying to show people who I really am. I don’t want to do that, I just want to show people who I can also be. But let’s not kid about it, it’s not going to be easy. The first one was no way easy. However I am obsessed about it and want to make it good. I have absolutely no idea of when it will come out though.

Q) Perez Hilton has been a big supporter of yours, hasn’t he?

Yeah, he has particularly in America and Australia. He does two things with his blog. On the one hand he does all the celebrity stuff, which gives him the hits, because people really want to read about them. But he also continually pushes new acts in a way that no other person can do. It really works! The amount of new acts he’s supported is just enormous. He really cares about the music. But I completely know that if I go out and make a complete tit of myself and get the attention then I’ll get grilled on his page as much as on any other.

Q) Does it make you hold yourself back?

No, not at all. I go out all the time. I just don’t hang out at Mahiki [where the likes of Prince William go].

Q) So, what’s your New Year’s resolution?

To be more money conscious. I’m not very good with it. Mind you, I haven’t seen any of it yet though!

Here it is if you still can't see it.

Q) Well, that’s quite some year you’ve had! Who surprised you most when you met them?

Dustin Hoffman. He made me realise the biggest are always the best. And Paul McCartney: the warmth and sincerity of what he says. I met Paul like a week ago and we walked past each other. He looked at me and he goes, ‘So, is it Me-ka or My-ka?’ and I was slightly despondent about that but I wasn’t rude as I get it all the time but I said, ‘Oh, it’s fine, it’s Me-ka.’

Q) You didn’t go mad?

I was fine about it. I didn’t say anything. Then he came up to me later that night and said, ‘You know what? I just have to tell you that I know your name is Mika. I think you took me seriously and I wanted to apologise. I know who you are and all about your music. Well done.’ And I thought to myself, ‘Wow, sometimes it pays not to be a dickhead once in a while. Know your place. Know who’s the boss and how it works out.’

Q) What are the rumours you’ve been working with Madonna?

I have absolutely no idea where they came from. They’ve been around about eight months and I keep denying it. I was even on Graham Norton the other night and I had to say, ‘It’s all make believe.’ He just looked a bit disappointed and went, ‘Oh!’ I think that was the only reason he booked me on his show.

Q) So, what does 2008 hold?

I’m on my American tour. Apparently, I sold out my New York show in a couple of days, which is amazing as we’re like a three- to four-thousand sized venue. Then I’m off to Canada to do arenas. I’m starting work on my second album. I already have, but I need more intense solitary work, just doing what I do. I will probably be doing a couple of slots at festivals in the Summer.

Q) Does second-album syndrome worry you at all?

I seem to have more of a sense of humour about it than most people. I just think as long as it is musically intense, really melodic and tells a story. I think a lot of the problem with artists is that they go, ‘I hate what I did!’ I created what I do out of my own volition to begin with so I’m not stuck in that awful situation where I’m just trying to show people who I really am. I don’t want to do that, I just want to show people who I can also be. But let’s not kid about it, it’s not going to be easy. The first one was no way easy. However I am obsessed about it and want to make it good. I have absolutely no idea of when it will come out though.

Q) Perez Hilton has been a big supporter of yours, hasn’t he?

Yeah, he has particularly in America and Australia. He does two things with his blog. On the one hand he does all the celebrity stuff, which gives him the hits, because people really want to read about them. But he also continually pushes new acts in a way that no other person can do. It really works! The amount of new acts he’s supported is just enormous. He really cares about the music. But I completely know that if I go out and make a complete tit of myself and get the attention then I’ll get grilled on his page as much as on any other.

Q) Does it make you hold yourself back?

No, not at all. I go out all the time. I just don’t hang out at Mahiki [where the likes of Prince William go].

Q) So, what’s your New Year’s resolution?

To be more money conscious. I’m not very good with it. Mind you, I haven’t seen any of it yet though!

Thanks for posting!:thumb_yello:

thanks!!!!:wub2:

I'm hoping that he'll be at Glastonbury again this year, but this time on the Pyramid stage and a bit further up the running order, or at V festival on the day before his birthday, as a headline act.:punk:

Good interview, and nice to see Paul McCartney giving him praise, between him and Brian May, the big guy has some heavyweight support behind him.

The second album is always the one the critics tend to focus on more than the first, not that I care what critics say, I like to make my own mind up, but a lot of people tend to listen to them, so I guess Mika will want to take a bit of time on it to get it right for himself, more than anyone else. But obviously the record company will take note of what the critics say, as it's their money going into it, so he may come under a little pressure there.

I don't doubt that the next album will be outstanding, we already know HMDYLM is an excellent song and I can imagine Mika will keep everything up to that standard, secretly hoping Holy Johnny will be on there too.

As far as Perez goes, Mika shows he is under no illusion that he is just as open to being savaged by him than anyone else, should he put a foot wrong. Guess that's why he is very careful about where he goes and what he does. Very canny.

I'm hoping that he'll be at Glastonbury again this year, but this time on the Pyramid stage and a bit further up the running order, or at V festival on the day before his birthday, as a headline act.:punk:

Good interview, and nice to see Paul McCartney giving him praise, between him and Brian May, the big guy has some heavyweight support behind him.

The second album is always the one the critics tend to focus on more than the first, not that I care what critics say, I like to make my own mind up, but a lot of people tend to listen to them, so I guess Mika will want to take a bit of time on it to get it right for himself, more than anyone else. But obviously the record company will take note of what the critics say, as it's their money going into it, so he may come under a little pressure there.

I don't doubt that the next album will be outstanding, we already know HMDYLM is an excellent song and I can imagine Mika will keep everything up to that standard, secretly hoping Holy Johnny will be on there too.

As far as Perez goes, Mika shows he is under no illusion that he is just as open to being savaged by him than anyone else, should he put a foot wrong. Guess that's why he is very careful about where he goes and what he does. Very canny.

well, he said before holy johnny will be in the new album, so unless he changes his mind, it should be there. :thumb_yello: same HMDYLM

Yes, I agree, when you are bullied it can leave you with a psychological scar which makes you react defensively to comments like these when caught off guard. Bullying can make you feel people are making fun of you when they aren't, and it can be a lifelong handicap. I know because I'm like that. I sometimes miss teasing because my initial reaction is one of defensiveness.

At least Macca had the sensitivity to see that Mika hadn't got the joke and set him straight, awwww! I bet Mika felt a tiny bit silly then :naughty: .

I agree, that is how I felt when I read this interview, and I am the same too, your left wondering, your inner voice gives you a little dig as if to say *ha ha, see they were right all along, your a weirdo/ugly/useless/ etc etc* whatever it is they chose to bully about. The self doubt can be well hidden but it is not so easy to totally get over it.

But Mika has an awesome sense of humour and fun that is one of his most endearing qualities, but he probably felt a little uncomfortable in front of PM and maybe even wondered to himself if PM knew much about him at all. (now he knows how WE feel in front of him lol, well some of us).

Also about the festivals, if I was Mika I wouldn't like doing them, cos aren't a lot of the bands and people who go to them sorta with the "in" crowd, and Mika is classed as uncool by a lot of people, they do have a kind of snobbery about it too and so maybe a lot of them wouldn't like to be "seen" going to watch him (they are of course fools, cos they have no idea what they are missing), but I guess Mika was used to that kind of reaction in the beginning but not so much now cos WE LOVE HIM lol but it could feel ratehr uncomfortable now.

ps. I hate arena's I would hate to have to go to another one of those to see him (you may as well just stay and watch tv cos that is all you see.

Anyway thank you for posting it.

I agree, that is how I felt when I read this interview, and I am the same too, your left wondering, your inner voice gives you a little dig as if to say *ha ha, see they were right all along, your a weirdo/ugly/useless/ etc etc* whatever it is they chose to bully about. The self doubt can be well hidden but it is not so easy to totally get over it.

But Mika has an awesome sense of humour and fun that is one of his most endearing qualities, but he probably felt a little uncomfortable in front of PM and maybe even wondered to himself if PM knew much about him at all. (now he knows how WE feel in front of him lol, well some of us).

Also about the festivals, if I was Mika I wouldn't like doing them, cos aren't a lot of the bands and people who go to them sorta with the "in" crowd, and Mika is classed as uncool by a lot of people, they do have a kind of snobbery about it too and so maybe a lot of them wouldn't like to be "seen" going to watch him (they are of course fools, cos they have no idea what they are missing), but I guess Mika was used to that kind of reaction in the beginning but not so much now cos WE LOVE HIM lol but it could feel ratehr uncomfortable now.

ps. I hate arena's I would hate to have to go to another one of those to see him (you may as well just stay and watch tv cos that is all you see.

Anyway thank you for posting it.

I don't think he has that trouble at festivals, he always manages to get other acts to dress up in the animal costumes for him, and they wouldn't do it if they didn't want to. Okay I know they don't take off the heads so you can see them, but he does name them after, and they know that, so they wouldn't risk it if they were uncomfortable about it.

this part is intriguing:

not sure if its anything new or just what it means or means he starts at arenas or something...hmmmmmmm

Does second-album syndrome worry you at all

Yes, I have to say that I really felt for Mika when PM pretended not to know about him. I don't know if I've ever said it on here, but I was bullied at school as well, because I have calcium deposits in my brain which effect how it works, and I used to get episodes where I would go blank for a while. The kids called me "Dozy Marilyn Bradshaw!" and the teachers were no help. It was a bit like what happened with Mika. I lost a lot of schooling as well.

I think that is why I find Mika to be a true inspiration, to me, and to others, and I did understand how he felt when Paul played his joke. Sometimes it's hard to see the joke when it hits you in a sore spot, so-to-speak. I haven't always got those kinds of jokes either.

But God bless Paul, for all his fame and notoriety, he realised Mika was upset and made amends. I really admire him for that. It seems he's quite fond of Mika, and I'm happy about that as well. I hope Mika makes lots of powerful friends, because in years to come, I'm sure that MIKA HIMSELF, will be a powerful friend for up and coming stars of tomorrow.

Love today from Marilyn

I can't believe that he hasn't seen any of his money yet lol... I mean, it's been a year. Maybe he was just exaggerating.

Musicians or whatever get the royalties about two years after making an album (I think)

so...someone is doing arenas even though he promised not to:cool:

I think he's doing whatever he can do. He's playing an arena in Montreal because that's how many people want to see him in Montreal and he's playing a club in Toronto because that's how many people want to see him in Toronto.

If he continues to play small venues in Europe when the demand is 3 or 4 times what these places can hold, then he is going to continue to suffer from exhaustion related illnesses. It's crazy for him to play 4 gigs in 5 days in the south of England for instance when he could just play one night at the 02.

But God bless Paul, for all his fame and notoriety, he realised Mika was upset and made amends. I really admire him for that. It seems he's quite fond of Mika, and I'm happy about that as well.

I also think it was quite amazing that he joked with him in the first place. He must already know quite a bit about Mika and see him, perhaps not quite as an equal, but a colleague in some respect.

I wonder if he also worried that Mika was going to think he's an old fart who has no idea what's going on in today's pop music so he'd better said the record straight. :naughty:

I don't think he has that trouble at festivals, he always manages to get other acts to dress up in the animal costumes for him, and they wouldn't do it if they didn't want to. Okay I know they don't take off the heads so you can see them, but he does name them after, and they know that, so they wouldn't risk it if they were uncomfortable about it.

I was talking bout the crowd Rak, I know a guy from my work who went and when I asked if he had watched Mika he said "NO WAY" kinda thing, I told him I was disappointedly in him and that he didn't know what he had missed pfft as if he didn't go see Mika while he was at the festival.

I was talking bout the crowd Rak, I know a guy from my work who went and when I asked if he had watched Mika he said "NO WAY" kinda thing, I told him I was disappointedly in him and that he didn't know what he had missed pfft as if he didn't go see Mika while he was at the festival.

These festivals are so huge it doesn't matter. I think it's a great way to turn people onto his music because a lot of people in the audience will be there just to keep themselves occupied while they're waiting for other acts. I've heard many stories of disinterested people getting into it by the end of his set because he's such a great performer.

Honestly, I think festivals are the only way for Mika to make further inroads in the UK because he's been all over radio for a year and anyone who was going to like him on that basis already does.

He just needs to stick with festivals that are appropriate for pop music like Glastonbury and not try to fit into a roster that's too hardcore.