Mika "Castrato" at Fiat Launch

Gatagordinha

:roftl:

Arion McNicoll

In a PR gimmick that was surely devised by the most cunning of advertising minds, the new Fiat 500 ‘flew’ over London last night on the British Airways London Eye precisely 500 hours into 2008 to celebrate its UK launch.

Already set to become ‘much beloved’, the update of the old Cinquecento was unveiled to coincide with Fiat’s 50th birthday in July last year amid a flurry of praise, celebrity and nostalgia. Last night’s London launch reprised the Italian event with 2007’s breakthrough castrato, Mika, crooning his way through his hit song.

Also at the event were supermodel Eva Herzigova, reality TV survivor Kelly Osbourne, celebrity daughter Jade Jagger and UK model Agyness Deyn.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article3231320.ece

LMAO, I mean we know Mika has three and a half octaves but I'm pretty sure he isn't a castrato !!! Yes I know they don't mean it, but it's still funny.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you think it's funny..? i think it's rather rude.. doesn't it mean neutered..?

horrible.

Yes it can and does mean neutered, but I think they are referring to the phenomenon of male operatic castrati and comparing Mika's high voice to that of a castrato singer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrati

I suppose it could be seen as intentionally rude towards Mika but I interpreted it more as thoughtless ignorance!

The castrati were prized for their voices so in some ways it's a compliment :wink2: .

The castrati were prized for their voices so in some ways it's a compliment :wink2: .

:no:

I am afraid not.... It's an offense, given the circumstances.

:thumbdown:

Besides, Mika does not have a soprano voice but a wide vocal range - the falsetto is just part of it.

I wonder of anyone has ever called Justin Timberlake a castrato....

:sneaky2:

I think it is narrow-minded, offensive and stupid to call him a castrato.

Shouldn't we do something about it?....

I think it is just an ill-judged and ignorant comparison. Whoever wrote it obviously knows nothing about Castrati. They just think it's funny to imply Mika is castrated! I was actually laughing at their ignorance, not at the thought of Mika being somehow 'not a man' :boxed:

I could be wrong. Perhaps it was a thinly veiled insult. We see plenty of those don't we and I'm usually the first to complain :wink2:

We could always question it by leaving a comment with timesonline, but I tend to think it'd be lost on them...:boxed:

eew:boxed:

castrato is the same word in italian and to me is totally wrong in that context:thumbdown:

breakthrough castrato sounds even like they want to put him off the competition:mf_rosetinted:

why the reporter had to insert that superfluous adj..maybe coz it can be interpretated in a sligtly negative meaning?:sneaky2:

breakthrough castrato sounds even like they want to put him off the competition:mf_rosetinted:

Yeah, well. Mika has to put up with A LOT of jealous men's comments doesn't he.

Face it you blokes. HE's HOT. And we LIKE him. :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

Deal with it.

castrato????it's an awful word in italian!:blink: I'll make this guy become castrato!:mf_rosetinted:

:naughty: it's a london "journalist" innit?...

we'll show him how to pay attention at the words'meaning:glasses3:{puts the golf club in the luggage }

:roftl:

Arion McNicoll

In a PR gimmick that was surely devised by the most cunning of advertising minds, the new Fiat 500 ‘flew’ over London last night on the British Airways London Eye precisely 500 hours into 2008 to celebrate its UK launch.

Already set to become ‘much beloved’, the update of the old Cinquecento was unveiled to coincide with Fiat’s 50th birthday in July last year amid a flurry of praise, celebrity and nostalgia. Last night’s London launch reprised the Italian event with 2007’s breakthrough castrato, Mika, crooning his way through his hit song.

Also at the event were supermodel Eva Herzigova, reality TV survivor Kelly Osbourne, celebrity daughter Jade Jagger and UK model Agyness Deyn.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article3231320.ece

LMAO, I mean we know Mika has three and a half octaves but I'm pretty sure he isn't a castrato !!! Yes I know they don't mean it, but it's still funny.

I've left a comment on the site. They ought to be ashamed of themselves! You get certain celebs taking drugs and getting boozed out of their minds, and no one says anything about them being bad role models or anything else. Mika has done nothing wrong, and gets slagged off right, left and centre. It's disgraceful!

Love today, from Marilyn

I have checked: you can leave comments....

I need to go home from work now but I think I definitely will say something...:sneaky2:

I submitted a comment to them :wink2: Good luck with yours!

I've left a comment on the site. They ought to be ashamed of themselves! You get certain celebs taking drugs and getting boozed out of their minds, and no one says anything about them being bad role models or anything else. Mika has done nothing wrong, and gets slagged off right, left and centre. It's disgraceful!

Love today, from Marilyn

I have also written a long comment (even had to cut it because of the lack of space..)...

.... do you think it will appear on the site??? If not, I have another plan..:sneaky2:

the ending by -o means that it comes from Italian doesn't it? I think it means the singers in that case. or does it still have the first meaning of sb who is actually castrated? doesn't sound like it to me, although I think they might be playing with words to insult him in some way

the ending by -o means that it comes from Italian doesn't it? I think it means the singers in that case. or does it still have the first meaning of sb who is actually castrated? doesn't sound like it to me, although I think they might be playing with words to insult him in some way

yep we know both the meanings..

newspapers are never objective and in the articles just one word in a certain position can communicate a whole deployment