The Crowd Control Issue

Marilyn Mastin

Hi there everyone.

There have been concerns raised recently about fans being allowed to crowd onto the stage in one, or more, of Mika's concerts in the US.

A. Clay PMd me with her concerns and we discussed them at length, then decided to contact the club moderators, to ask if Mika's team could be warned that this is a very dangerous thing to allow to happen.

Our concerns were three-fold:

One: Mika's safety, as no one can ensure that the only people at the concerts are genuine fans. Some people might want to hurt him.

Two: Concern for the other fans. They could get hurt. That would be terrible

Three: If any accident was to happen, Mika himself would be blamed. We did not want anything to ruin his monumental efforts to get through to the American people.

Sienna has informed me that the situation had, indeed come to the moderators' attentions, and that Mika's team will be made aware of our concerns about safety. It also seems that things have calmed down somewhat, and not as many people went on stage in the more recent shows. Sienna also thought it was a good idea to start a thread to discuss the issue and make fans aware that the fanclub is concerned with the issue and will try to make Mika's team aware of it too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww

It's just a bit of fun :wink2:

But I understand. It is quite dangerous, sometimes.

Fun for those who get on the stage but not fun for the people struggling to breathe crushed up against each other and the barrier.

British people, remember Hillsborough?? Whenever I hear of something like this (and some people's reports from NY were very scary) I think of Hillsborough. It can, and does, happen that people lose their lives when crushed....

It really is very worrying....what if someone really does try to hurt Mika??

My god....just the thought of it made me shiver..:blink:

I don't worry so much about Mika's safety, just the fans.

But I do worry about Mika's reputation if a fan were to suffocate.

So, good idea to bring this to the attention of his management.

I was surprised he did it too. Somehow it doesn't seem 'like Mika' to do something like this, I'm hoping it was just a rush of blood to the head and that he can see now it was a bad idea. We all live and learn, and he is human after all!

I was watching Koko (Over My Shoulder) on Youtube last night. I cannot believe how it can be the same person sitting there all demure and ethereal at the piano - and now, 12 months later, actively organising stage invasions.

In my opinion he doesn't need a load of people on stage. Actually I only want to see him. I wonder what his next tour will be like sometimes. Everythng but the kitchen sink on stage???

Just having a ponder this morning...:blink:

Don't bring ideas into his head....:naughty:

LOL just another one of our glorious English expressions!!! I hope you are making a note of them all because I will be giving a Colloquial English Exam soon :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: Actually, a kitchen sink might be fun. If it were a steel one he could use it instead of the tinbin for his topless drumming (which will by that time have evolved into nude drumming, so doubt..).

But sorry, this is way off topic lol.

LOL just another one of our glorious English expressions!!! I hope you are making a note of them all because I will be giving a Colloquial English Exam soon :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: Actually, a kitchen sink might be fun. If it were a steel one he could use it instead of the tinbin for his topless drumming (which will by that time have evolved into nude drumming, so doubt..).

that's colloquial? we use it in common speech here in Canada:)

OMG, now I have to look up colloquial.....:boxed:

But, did I use a correct expression or where mickeying :naughty: me????

colloquial: tot de omgangstaal behorende, gemeenzaam, spreektaal. colloquial talents: talent van converseren.

MFC'ers do have a great colloquial talent!! (I will defo pass your English exam!!:roftl: )

(Edit: I use a very, very old english-dutch dictionary from 1946! It's a family-heirloom...)

OMG, now I have to look up colloquial.....:boxed:

But, did I use a correct expression or where mickeying :naughty: me????

Colloquial roughly means slang or informal language.

The 'glorious expression' I was referring to was 'everything but the kitchen sink' but you seem to have understood that one, so no, I wasn't taking the mick:naughty:

So anyway getting back on topic, Mika, no kitchen sinks on stage and no fans either (serious face now:no:)

You're right, this is a serious topic.

However it will be great fun to be on stage with Mika and the band, it can be in fact dangerous. And also not to much fun for those who cannot come on stage: they are way behind as it is not standing on the first rows. And then they have to watch those people who were in front anyway, and climbing on stage. (I hope this makes a little bit sense! To me it does:mf_rosetinted: )

In my opinion he doesn't need a load of people on stage. Actually I only want to see him. I wonder what his next tour will be like sometimes. Everythng but the kitchen sink on stage???

Just having a ponder this morning...:blink:

Don't bring ideas into his head....:naughty:

Stop it both of you:naughty: , now I have visions of Mika running around the stage being chased by a massive inflatable kitchen sink:roftl:

Is there any footage of this .. must say Im curious :bleh:

I found this:

You can't really tell from this though, I don't think.

btw strange venue..and the stage looks so tiny!!

I think FD meant of the kitchen sink scenario:roftl: :roftl:

I'm sure SOMEONE can make it...would be funny...

I think FD meant of the kitchen sink scenario:roftl: :roftl:

I'm sure SOMEONE can make it...would be funny...

:roftl: Well I suspected he might mean that...but then I thought, naah, serious thread, serious Fred.:naughty:

Silly me.

Inflatable sink? He could do a whole new pre-Lollipop skit, not with animal costumes but with kitchen-themed inflatables. Microwave, kettle, toaster. George Foreman. etc.

I really disagree with what's been said here so far. Mika is an adult and has a full team working for him. I'm sure they are aware of the risks and have discussed this issue before. Secondly, you can't really talk about a "stage invasion", it's only some 10 people, that he himself picks up from the crowd.

I don't know if people here realize that but among all the concerts I've done so far, Mika gigs are by far the most "civilized". The pushing isnt that bad, there is no bad fight, people don't stage dive etc.

Beware of what you wish for, more security for the guy? Fair enough. But if someone really wanted to hurt him, he'd do it during a signing. So, shall Mika stop meeting the fans too? That's when he's the most exposed... just think about it.