Understanding Grace Kelly

morkmika

Greetings from Philadelphia

New to Mika, love Mika, so excuse me for going over gtound that's been trodden. You know, Grace Kelly was from Philadelphia and I met her. I dated her niece collage. It was funny that when Mika started his Philly tour he didn't make mention of her.

So here are my questions. I don't remember her having a "queasy smile," not in real life or in movies. Well in "Dial M for Murder," she was queasy but she was going for her gallows. And wouldn't be ever again with her gayish boyfriend (played by Robert Cummings) who was not not nearly as hot as her husband, played Ray Milland.

Don't see her looks as so sad. What did she have to be sad about? Beautiful. Great film career. Married a prince! Had her own country. And people liked her.

He is right that she was both wholesome and while "loathsome" is a little strong, she did apparently have a wild teenage time while putting forward this wholesome image. And she was pretty randy in "Rear Window."

So help me out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't referring to GK as having a queasy smile or being wholesome or loathsome, he's referring to himself.

The story behind Grace Kelly is that he wrote it after being told by record executives that he would be ok if only he could model himself on other artists they mentioned.

He went away and wrote this song basically asking, why don't you like me the way I am.

IMO Grace Kelly could have been substituted with anyone.

Oh! Welcome, by the way!

Do I attract you?

Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?

Am I too dirty?

Am I too flirty?

Do I like what you like?

I could be wholesome

I could be loathsome

I guess Im a little bit shy

Why dont you like me?

Why dont you like me without making me try?

I try to be like Grace Kelly

But all her looks were too sad

So I try a little Freddie

Ive gone identity mad!

I could be brown

I could be blue

I could be violet sky

I could be hurtful

I could be purple

I could be anything you like

Gotta be green

Gotta be mean

Gotta be everything more

Why dont you like me?

Why dont you like me?

Why dont you walk out the door!

How can I help it

How can I help it

How can I help what you think?

Hello my baby

Hello my baby

Putting my life on the brink

Why dont yo like me

Although the title implies a lot more reference to Grace Kelly - I think the words I highlighted in "red" is the only part that describes her.

I think his intention was to convey that he can "act" the part of so many different personalities, but that he chooses his own identity in the end.

wel_ani4Tay.gif

Hi Morkmika!

Welcome to the MFC!

Perhaps you should listen to some interviews with Mika on Youtube. He explains (has to do it over and over again:thumbdown: ) the song a lot.

I give you one link, it is from a dutch talkshow called Jensen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Naa3wOi17g

I bet you can find the other interviews quite easily on YT!

I read that in America, Grace Kelly didn't get played because the radio stations thought Mika was saying he wanted to be a woman! If people don't know the story behind Grace Kelly, maybe it could be confusing. But it's still an awesome song which has become a world classic already!

Welcome to the MFC. It's great to have another new American fan. More proof that Mika is slowly breaking America!

It's more like you guys have explained it all so well already there's not much else to say:wink2:

yeah, I wanted to answer the question but then I read your posts...and they pretty much say it all:thumb_yello:

:naughty:Fair enough then!

All makes a lot of sense. I think a lot of Mika's music is about being yourself and screaming for people to let you be yourself. Gay, straight. Skinny or big girl.

One more question. What does he mean when he ends with ker-ching?

All makes a lot of sense. I think a lot of Mika's music is about being yourself and screaming for people to let you be yourself. Gay, straight. Skinny or big girl.

it's gotta be a big "up yours" losers who didn't believe in me (record companies etc who wanted to mould him into someone else) cos now this record is the one that is the MONEY record and you LOST out bigtime. :punk:

"Kerching" - it's the sound of a cash register.

It's more like Ka-Ching-a and i think its kind of like a "got it?" like, i'm done i've had what i needed to say, more power to ya thing. You get the feeling of it here its at about 3:55 is when it starts.

he really does it at the end, but in concert he kind of plays a game with the audience with the kachinga:) Its great fun;D

It's more like Ka-Ching-a and i think its kind of like a "got it?" like, i'm done i've had what i needed to say, more power to ya thing. You get the feeling of it here its at about 3:55 is when it starts.

he really does it at the end, but in concert he kind of plays a game with the audience with the kachinga:) Its great fun;D

Oh, I hate it when he does that as well, I never join in with it. :mf_rosetinted:

Does everything have to make sence maybe? :mf_rosetinted:

:thumb_yello:

Bernie Dodd is a young Broadway director.....one of those directors (like This Simon Cowell who told Mika some years ago he was rubbish at an audition) who can decide of your future existence (or not) into the music industry and that's probably why mika quoted "The Country Girl" : "Last time we talked Mister Dodd you reduced me to tears, I promise you it wont happen again" says Georgie...

all the "quotes" in te song GK were recorded by an actress in Los Angeles, using the original microphones from "Fantasia" and "Mary Poppins"