The Butterfly Lounge & Mika

Guest MsDivine

Do you feel that Mika is representing Big Girls at his show in a positive manner?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that Mika is representing Big Girls at his show in a positive manner?

• Absolutely!
    • I don't really think so!
    • The Big Girls look great in their costumes, so who cares what they do!
    • Big Girls bending over during concert and shaking their butts is not very positive!
    • If the audience is laughing at them I would say NO!
    • Depends on which live performance you have seen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to say hello and get your opinion here.

Thanks,

Kathleen aka owner of The Butterfly Lounge

Hey!! Great to have you here! Mika's Big Girl song gets so much stick here in the UK. The media say it's patronising fat women! Yet I think it's great, and I'm big, and it's really all about accepting who you are, and loving yourself. It's also about saying that Big Girls are still desirable and there are men out there who will want them!

HI Kathleen!!! Great to see you here!

I think "Big Girls" is nothing but positive. I'm a big girl and it makes me feel good every time I hear it.

I love the idea of the Butterfly Lounge, too. What a great place...I'd love to come if I'm ever in LA. I would really love to buy a t shirt or sweatshirt with your logo on it. It's very beautiful!

Hi Kathleen,

Welcome aboard the Good Ship Mika!!

It really is cool that you've joined us on here.

As one of the "Big Girls" who appeared in the video I think everything Mika does is positive and having big girls on stage in the sexy costumes his mum has made always looks great. I'd love to wear the costume on stage on day.

I'd also love to come to the Butterfly Lounge too.......who knows, maybe I'd get chance to combine the two and appear at the Butterfly Lounge wearing the costume!!! :wink2::naughty:

I can actually see how this is possibly a sensitive issue... women are already sexualized enough, and "empowering" Big Girls by putting them into corsets so they, too, can be objectified and shake their T&A for other people's titillation is not necessarily all that great. One can say that their outfits play into the mainstream idea of "sexy" and that a woman's self worth should rest on more than whether a man declares that she, too, can be sexy (and thus available for men's sexual pleasure).

However, I think that all the Big Girls I've seen on stage so far have just come out looking so amazingly gorgeous, and have been having such an obvious good time, that all of that melts away under the undeniable fact that they're feeling great and having immense fun with it all. It's not very serious anyway, so the girls are playing with the corsets, saying "I can be a pin-up for the moment too!" but, since it's so cheeky and playful, you know that's not ALL they are.

And I've never seen anyone laugh at them onstage. :shocked: They're all bloomin' bombshells!

--Jack

I can actually see how this is possibly a sensitive issue... women are already sexualized enough, and "empowering" Big Girls by putting them into corsets so they, too, can be objectified and shake their T&A for other people's titillation is not necessarily all that great.

So Big Girls cannot be sexualised or be objectified unless they are in a corset? Words spoken by a thin girl with issues with big women IMO So is putting a Big Girl in a corset wrong Jack?

Big women are rarely portrayed in a good light and in our society are usually classed as social outcasts. Thank god there is someone who is doing it and giving us a voice.

I'm obviously not sexy then as I am a big woman as far as you are concerned. If there were skinny girls dancing on stage with Mika, would this be an issue too? I don't think so.

Thank you Mika for "empowering" me.

So Big Girls cannot be sexualised or be objectified unless they are in a corset? Words spoken by a thin girl with issues with big women IMO So is putting a Big Girl in a corset wrong Jack?

Big women are rarely portrayed in a good light and in our society are usually classed as social outcasts. Thank god there is someone who is doing it and giving us a voice.

I'm obviously not sexy then as I am a big woman as far as you are concerned. If there were skinny girls dancing on stage with Mika, would this be an issue too? I don't think so.

Jems, you are one of the sexiest people I know and I would love you whatever size or shape you are:wub2:

......................... Thank god there is someone

who is doing it and giving us a voice.

I'm obviously not sexy then as I am a big woman

as far as you are concerned. If there were skinny

girls dancing on stage with Mika, would this be an issue too?

I don't think so.

couldn't have said it better myself, Jemma!

You look great in your corset!

I think Mika should get a special Nobel Prize-type award

for boosting confidence of many women around the world.

I can actually see how this is possibly a sensitive issue... women are already sexualized enough, and "empowering" Big Girls by putting them into corsets so they, too, can be objectified and shake their T&A for other people's titillation is not necessarily all that great. One can say that their outfits play into the mainstream idea of "sexy" and that a woman's self worth should rest on more than whether a man declares that she, too, can be sexy (and thus available for men's sexual pleasure).

However, I think that all the Big Girls I've seen on stage so far have just come out looking so amazingly gorgeous, and have been having such an obvious good time, that all of that melts away under the undeniable fact that they're feeling great and having immense fun with it all. It's not very serious anyway, so the girls are playing with the corsets, saying "I can be a pin-up for the moment too!" but, since it's so cheeky and playful, you know that's not ALL they are.

And I've never seen anyone laugh at them onstage. :shocked: They're all bloomin' bombshells!

--Jack

Come on Jemma, you know Jack is not trying to say that big women can't look good in corsets.............simply that adding big girls into the mix with skinny girls and expecting them all to fulfill stereotypes that are (on the whole) set by men isn't the answer.

You know I speak from experience here too!!

I love dressing up and looking stereotypically sexy (anyone who's seen my facebook or myspace will know just how narcassistic I am!) and I am a very big girl. I have no lack of confidence due to my size and would love to wear the corsets and strutt about on stage with Mika. (Jemma, I was so jealous of your costume from the last London gig!) However, I think that says more about my personality than it does about my size!!

The thing is, and I've raised this point before, I really don't think Mika has that much interest in the subject..........yet lots of big girls are hailing him as their hero. He was looking around for inspiration for songs to fill LICM.....saw the documentary and the rest is history. It may well be controversial to say it but as a big girl who was in the video I feel justified in saying it. I suspect he wonders what all the fuss is about and whether it was worth the justifying he's had to do about the song in the media. It's a lot of responsibilty heaped on one young man's shoulders.....

hello....

My opinion is that Mika saw that skinny women were held out of the club and weren't let in and he was like... Hmmm....."But I wanna go in and give hugs"

so...He wrote the song cause he wants the whole world to get along.

And that's why I luvvves him :blush-anim-cl: