Cover Song Fantasies

Scut Monkey

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Cause once in a while we like to discuss music and not underwear while waiting for the new record and tour, in the "Mika's Next Album" thread several people started discussing what songs they would love to hear Mika cover in the future. So I decided we should give the discussion its own thread.

In the past Mika's covered Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin", Eurythmics's "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" and "Missionary Man", Michael Jackson's "I Want You Back", Massive Attack's "Teardrop", Nina Simone's "I Got Life", Candi Staton's "You Got The Love", Prince's "When Doves Cry", The Gossip's "Standing In The Way of Control", The View's "Same Jeans", Dave Matthews' "Satellite", Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" (and let me know if I've missed any others). What do you think he should cover in future? What would be your ultimate Mika cover song?

What about "Cant Stand Losing You" By The Police. I swear he did a cover of that....

What about "Cant Stand Losing You" By The Police. I swear he did a cover of that....

It wasn't that well received, though... but I think if he did a straight (as in

non-disco/dance version) cover version of a Police tune -- maybe Roxanne or

Don't Stand so Close to Me -- I think that could be way cool.

Oooh, I know! What about Every Breath You Take? :)

dcdeb

Bizarre Love Triangle...(the song by New Order and not the predicament of being tangled in one. Which might actually be interesting if Mika was involved...)

:naughty:

It wasn't that well received, though... but I think if he did a straight (as in

non-disco/dance version) cover version of a Police tune -- maybe Roxanne or Don't Stand so Close to Me -- I think that could be way cool.

dcdeb

Thanks for linking to the video, I haven't heard it in a while. I like his version of Can't Stand Losing You. It's extremely different from the original but that makes it cool in its own right. I'd love to hear more electronica/dance/disco tracks from him in future. Especially something along the mellower lines of Relax or You Got The Love (which was awesome :punk:).

As for The Police tunes, Roxanne would be fabulous. But God please not Every Breathe You Take, the cheese factor is simply too high for my tastes.

Thanks for linking to the video, I haven't heard it in a while. I like his version of Can't Stand Losing You. It's extremely different from the original but that makes it cool in its own right. I'd love to hear more electronica/dance/disco tracks from him in future. Especially something along the mellower lines of Relax or You Got The Love (which was awesome :punk:).

As for The Police tunes, Roxanne would be fabulous. But God please not Every Breathe You Take, the cheese factor is simply too high for my tastes.

America- Simon and Garfunkel

Tiny Dancer- Elton John

Mrs. Robinson- Simon and Garfunkel

Hey Jude- Beatles

Something- Beatles

Here Comes The Sun- Beatles (finnish it please!)

The Stranger- Billy Joel

Come What May- Ewan!

Daydream Believer- Monkees

Love and Memories- O.A.R.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic- The Police

^ i have every little thing she does is magic by them on my list, but i passed every breath you take, its too boring for him anyways. I think this one could be fun tho:wink2:

America- Simon and Garfunkel

Tiny Dancer- Elton John

Mrs. Robinson- Simon and Garfunkel

Hey Jude- Beatles

Something- Beatles

Here Comes The Sun- Beatles (finnish it please!)

The Stranger- Billy Joel

Come What May- Ewan!

Daydream Believer- Monkees

Love and Memories- O.A.R.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic- The Police

^ i have every little thing she does is magic by them on my list, but i passed every breath you take, its too boring for him anyways. I think this one could be fun tho:wink2:

You have some really good ones! I love them all...:wub2: The Stranger!...Tiny Dancer!!...HERE COMES THE SUN!!:mf_lustslow::punk:

...Daydream Believer...:naughty:

It's really tough for me to come up with some of my own. I've been thinking about it for days...

For purely selfish reasons, I'd love to hear him cover the song Amanda by Boston.

:)

I'll second that! :naughty:

I would love that. Although, I have a a version of it from some American collegiate a capella band that I've listened to far more than the original. The tempo is way slowed down...that's how Mika should do it. :thumb_yello:

Hmmm...

I'm thinking some beatles... Obla-Di Obla-Da, like Suzy said. Here comes the sun. Let it Be?

Elton John, Your Song would be.. amazing.

Come What May

I also think Killing Me Softly might be good too...

Other than those (which were pretty much already said) I don't know what else! I'd have to think ;)

[i'm Too Sexy (for my shirt blah blah blah) could be pretty entertaining :das: but I don't think I'd want him to haha]

the real challenge would be "hallelujah" written by leonard genius cohen, only two singers made an extraordinary cover of it jcale and jbuckley and i'm not even a fan of buckley but this guy made this song incredibly beautiful and soulful and his voice is so clear and pure on it and i dont think anyone could ever do something more beautiful, many people (and still recently) have tried to cover it but it was just absolutely awful....so it's a fantasy, i wonder how mika would sing it and make it his own way...

the real challenge would be "hallelujah" written by leonard genius cohen, only two singers made an extraordinary cover of it jcale and jbuckley and i'm not even a fan of buckley but this guy made this song incredibly beautiful and soulful and his voice is so clear and pure on it and i dont think anyone could ever do something more beautiful, many people (and still recently) have tried to cover it but it was just absolutely awful....so it's a fantasy, i wonder how mika would sing it and make it his own way...

Have you heard Rufus Wainwright's version by any chance? It's stunning.

:roftl: It would be fun to see them try :naughty:

I know...I've tried singing Mika's songs and although I know all the words I feel so embarassed at what my voice sounds like:blush-anim-cl: My voice is pretty bad. But I don't care because I sing/hum/dance along anyways.

But there is a new SingStar game coming out and Mika's "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) is going to be on it!!! I can't wait...me...singing along with Mika...on a game...AMAZING!!!

Oh My Gosh! I love Hallelujah. It makes me shiver every single time I hear it. I especially love the first verse...but the whole thing is just genius...

Have you heard Rufus Wainwright's version by any chance? It's stunning.

yes i have...and i know many of you are fans etc. so dont hate me but no i really dont like it.

btw, as i have the opportunity to talk to rw fans, is his version of hallelujah your favourite one? i mean please be honest, compared to jcale's and jbuckley's ones... can you xplain me exactly? or is just something you feel and cant be xplained ? in this case i understand and need no answers ;)

yes i have...and i know many of you are fans etc. so dont hate me but no i really dont like it.

btw, as i have the opportunity to talk to rw fans, is his version of hallelujah your favourite one? i mean please be honest, compared to jcale's and jbuckley's ones... can you xplain me exactly? or is just something you feel and cant be xplained ? in this case i understand and need no answers ;)

My favorite version is Jeff's to be honest...

Oh My Gosh! I love Hallelujah. It makes me shiver every single time I hear it. I especially love the first verse...but the whole thing is just genius...

yes it's pure genius, cohen is a real real genius...my god the first verse, the lyrics are just amazing... btw what do u understand of the first verse? what kind of a song is it for you? does it make you sad or something opposite or....?