NME on Beth Ditto - mentioning Mika

robertina

Live In Liverpool

Apr 3, 2008

So, Beth Ditto in 2008. Is she a super-subversive riot grrrl heroine bravely infiltrating the mainstream, boldly taking her ideals to a forum larger than a few fanzine-reading ****wits? Or an ultra sell-out who’s happily traded all them principles for a showbiz life? Swapping crass punchlines with those knobs on The Friday Night Project, sipping cocktails with Kate Moss and doing really bad duets with Mika at really, really bad awards ceremonies…

Both valid viewpoints, but what is beyond doubt is that The Gossip are now The Beth Ditto Show. A shame, because as anyone who saw any of their pre-circus gigs will attest, The Gossip used to be a collective unit in the best possible sense – Beth’s primal holler no more centre-stage than the lo-fi Zep raunch being blasted out behind it. Hunt down 2003’s ‘Undead In NYC’ if you need recorded proof. ‘Live In Liverpool’, by contrast, committed to tape on July 9, 2007, documents a time long after that Cool List topping and the subsequent Bethmania. So the screams throughout opener ‘Eyes Open’ are of the type associated with a Take That audience, not a Huggy Bear one. There are Aaliyah and George Michael covers and – of course – a distinctly more manic reception for the opening bars of ‘Standing In The Way Of Control’ than for any of the other songs, and while there is still Nathan and Hannah’s amazing musicianship, there’s also still a sense that this is Big Star And Backing Band. Mainly, it’s hard to know who this record is actually for. The hardcore will find ‘Live In Liverpool’ too light while new converts would be better off delving into the treasure trove of old albums.

Moreover, releasing a so-so live album is not the best riposte to all those “but they’ve only got one song!” jibes. With the news that they’re going R&B we have no doubt the results will be brilliant. Until that happens, though…

http://www.nme.com/reviews/the-gossip/9602

as we are bored........

as we adopted beth ditto in mfc..........

as we must be impartial towards what's being written about mika........

here you are, another NME point of view......:blink:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly I didn't like that bunch the Brits..but NME is the worst paper, I mean I read some absolutely hylarious satire of the event written in some blogs :newyear:

ok, speaking of the mikster...the set design was fantastic, and so the idea of reunite his "commercial" songs in that way..but his voice was really worn out

I'm not gonna go into the whole 'each to their own' thing but really, I've been fed up with that 'magazine' for years.

NME is just a rubbish magazine run by a bunch of snotty student w***ers. I've read issues of it before and honestly I've only ever come across worse journalism in the Sun. They review gigs but they don't mention the quality of live performance (just that the audience are a bunch of wrist slitting emos (stereotyped much?)) and the one song they did mention they got the title completely wrong. I mean honestly, people read reviews to find out whether it's worth paying £20 to see a band, tey don't read reviews to find out whether there's going to be a bunch of wrist slitting emos there.

They're so up their own backsides it's unbelievable. I really do want to burn that magazine sometimes.

ok, speaking of the mikster...the set design was fantastic, and so the idea of reunite his "commercial" songs in that way..but his voice was really worn out

oh yes sure!!!i saw you in that movie! the clothes were so great, those shades of blue and the indian rose on your 19th centurys hat in the second scene was just a pure wonder...what? the way you acted?

NME is just a rubbish magazine run by a bunch of snotty student w***ers. They review gigs but they don't mention the quality of live performance (just that the audience are a bunch of wrist slitting emos (stereotyped much?)) and the one song they did mention they got the title completely wrong. I mean honestly, people read reviews to find out whether it's worth paying £20 to see a band, tey don't read reviews to find out whether there's going to be a bunch of wrist slitting emos there.

i honestly dont think that a single person reads the NME to find out whether its worth paying £20 to see a band or not or to know who is the best dressed singer of the month...they stereotype because thats what they do: caricature, and whether you like it or not caricature and satire are a writing exercise, its true its written by students and everyone and anyone , and so what?

talking about the NME i remember they found mika pretty cool at the very beginning, then all of a sudden he became uncool, i wonder who he snubbed again:naughty:

oh yes sure!!!i saw you in that movie! the clothes were so great, those shades of blue and the indian rose on your 19th centurys hat in the second scene was just a pure wonder...what? the way you acted?

touchè:naughty:

another Gray Skelly pic just 4 ya..I really don't like the white umbrella tho :newyear:

2375224236_0d04a01b72_b.jpg

touchè:naughty:

another Gray Skelly pic just 4 ya..I really don't like the white umbrella tho :newyear:

lol, wtf, u speak french now, bene,bene! how do you say touche in italian btw?(fck im on a kwerty now and cant find the accent) anyway yeah@ella, i dont really like it either,lol, it doesnt seem to be good quality :sneaky2:

i like the paper unbrellas, i m sure they have nice ones in russia.

lol, wtf, u speak french now, bene,bene! how do you say touche in italian btw?(fck im on a kwerty now and cant find the accent) anyway yeah@ella, i dont really like it either,lol, it doesnt seem to be good quality :sneaky2:

i like the paper unbrellas, i m sure they have nice ones in russia.

I can't speak french:fisch:

touchè..love that, in italian is like "beccato" but not..:bleh:

why Russia?:blink:

I really don't know NME well enough to have an opinion, but I have always said that I don't particularly like Beth, and that the duets that Mika did with her were IMO a shambles......

Plus the Brits Awards show, together with the TV shows, has to be the worst performances that I've seen Mika do.

His voice was clearly off (due to illness), and he looked uncomfortable as hell. Plus Beth I just don't think much of...

His live shows are SO incredible, that it really saddens me when I see these shows, as they just don't compare to his REAL shows, and I think of all the people who don't get to see that side of him and will only have an opinion of what he's like based on these performances...:boxed:

I really don't know NME well enough to have an opinion, but I have always said that I don't particularly like Beth, and that the duets that Mika did with her were IMO a shambles......

Plus the Brits Awards show, together with the TV shows, has to be the worst performances that I've seen Mika do.

His voice was clearly off (due to illness), and he looked uncomfortable as hell. Plus Beth I just don't think much of...

His live shows are SO incredible, that it really saddens me when I see these shows, as they just don't compare to his REAL shows, and I think of all the people who don't get to see that side of him and will only have an opinion of what he's like based on these performances...:boxed:

I agree with you. People might think he's really bad live.:boxed:

It's such a pity, cause the set looked great, he looked great, but the duet wasn't good.

About the tv shows: At some tv-shows, he wasn't really good indeed, but at some, he was! For example Taratata

He is ill alot huh?:boxed:

Despite the fact his voice wasn't at it's best, I thought Mika put on a cracking performance at the Brits. And we all know he never seems comfortable playing to an audience that he doesn't know.

TBH, after yesterday my opinion of the NME has spiralled dramatically downhill, since I heard them call Morrissey a racist. I can't say I've ever heard him say anything remotely racist, unless there is some interview I missed.So as far as I'm concerned, they can stick their opinions.

I'm not gonna go into the whole 'each to their own' thing but really, I've been fed up with that 'magazine' for years.

NME is just a rubbish magazine run by a bunch of snotty student w***ers. I've read issues of it before and honestly I've only ever come across worse journalism in the Sun. They review gigs but they don't mention the quality of live performance (just that the audience are a bunch of wrist slitting emos (stereotyped much?)) and the one song they did mention they got the title completely wrong. I mean honestly, people read reviews to find out whether it's worth paying £20 to see a band, tey don't read reviews to find out whether there's going to be a bunch of wrist slitting emos there.

They're so up their own backsides it's unbelievable. I really do want to burn that magazine sometimes.

Buuuuurn baaaby buuuurn:naughty:

after yesterday my opinion of the NME has spiralled dramatically downhill, since I heard them call Morrissey a racist. I can't say I've ever heard him say anything remotely racist, unless there is some interview I missed.

well, morrissey was just strongly attached to the past and against immigration(clearly right handed but not racist though), the NME has been a fan of him for years and years and years, they said he was the best artist of all time and i m pretty sure they still mean it....this story is really old and boring and they are all coming back with it because there is nothing new...morrissey and NME are really close and honestly the truth is that no one actually cares about the NME or morrissey anymore

I thought he said in the after interview that he had bronchitis? Why don't people get there facts , or add the facts with the story?.... Pfttttt

Yeah, when I had bronchitis, I couldn't breathe, and coughed a lot. I suppose he could have been getting over bronchitis. Never was 100% sure of this "fact".

Yup, definately not one of his best and may have given the wrong impression to people who don't know better.

Yup, definately not one of his best and may have given the wrong impression to people who don't know better.

My nan liked him, said he had a nice face and that his trousers actually fit :mf_rosetinted:

(I'm not kidding, I met her on the bus and we were discussing it with her friend, and I was like "I love you nan!" and then she told my mum over the phone and nan was like "Cor you'd have thought he was her boyfriend or summit" xDDDD)

My nan liked him, said he had a nice face and that his trousers actually fit :mf_rosetinted:

(I'm not kidding, I met her on the bus and we were discussing it with her friend, and I was like "I love you nan!" and then she told my mum over the phone and nan was like "Cor you'd have thought he was her boyfriend or summit" xDDDD)

Bless! He has got a nice face!