Mika Gets To Work On Sophomore Album

greta

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3id08e9f14f520f15d5e1e7d3c55219167

May 23, 2008

By Lars Brandle, London

Mika is making headway with the follow-up album to his mega-hit debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion," Billboard.biz can reveal.

Mika caught up with Billboard.biz Thursday afternoon during the prestigious Ivor Novello Awards ceremony, where he collected a gong for songwriter of the year.

"I'm writing my second album," he said, confident that at least three tracks were already in the bag. "It's all about building those songs after the process of the first album, and they're coming along, which is comforting."

The album, explained the U.K.-based, Lebanese-born singer, doesn't yet have a date. Or a release date. "There's a lot of debate and discussion as to when it will come out though. Now I'm just focusing on writing the songs."

When asked whether it would have a similar feel to the first album, Mika gave simply gave this reporter a wry smile.

"Life in Cartoon Motion" (Casablanca/Island) has three IFPI Platinum Europe Certifications, for pan-European shipments in excess of three million units. In Britain, the set is certified four-times platinum (1.2 million copies) after 67 weeks on the Official U.K. Albums Chart, where it is currently at No. 54.

Mika has a raft of European dates booked this summer, beginning July 3 at the Rock Werchter in Leuven.

sophomore...I always loved this word! {from the ancient greek sophos=wise + moros=fool} :naughty:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think HJ will be on the album... he always presents HMDYLM like a new song from the second album but never for HJ...

you're right !

That should have been on the EP.!

now im kind of scared for the second album...

anyway what do we have in bag? HDYLM, Loverboy and what? i dont know about HJ, its a really different song

What makes you think Loverboy will be on it?

What makes you think Loverboy will be on it?

oh because i read it on his personal BLOG on his personal myspace...lol,no really, i dunno maybe because i love it, its a a good reason,no?:naughty:

hey greta sophomore sounds like suffa, suffer, suffer more, suffer a second time...it makes sense, i like semaphore a lot, nice word

:yay: thats really good news! just knowing that somethings happening is exciting!:D

personally I hope we don't know any of the songs until they're released. I know that HMDYLM is probably on it, but I don't wanna know the rest till its out, it makes thinngs build up more in my opinion

When asked whether it would have a similar feel to the first album, Mika gave simply gave this reporter a wry smile.

T4P Greta! ..... Really can't wait to listen to it.......

Didn't he sing a new song in NY last year? Century Man I think it was called.

Yes- I really liked it. It had a lyric that's in "Stuck In The Middle" also. He said he had just finished it that day, so I don't know if he was considering it for the album or if it was just part the whole impromptu show thing. I remember thinking it had some Elton-esque qualities in the voice arrangement, but the writing was pretty interesting. If I remember correctly (I'm trying really hard now :naughty:) there was a story going on. It had some very interesting elements. :biggrin2:

now im kind of scared for the second album...

anyway what do we have in bag? HDYLM, Loverboy and what? i dont know about HJ, its a really different song

Loverboy? Where did you hear this? :blink:

Although I think I'd prefer to have LB and HJ on the album rather than HMDYLM..but meh, it's up to Mika! :biggrin2:

HJ MAY be on there ... i mean, he's developed the sound since it first appeared on stage (acoustic martin+mika duet --> entire band, fuller sound) but i don't recall ever hearing him say it was gonna be on the second album....just HMDYLM.

Yes- I really liked it. It had a lyric that's in "Stuck In The Middle" also. He said he had just finished it that day, so I don't know if he was considering it for the album or if it was just part the whole impromptu show thing. I remember thinking it had some Elton-esque qualities in the voice arrangement, but the writing was pretty interesting. If I remember correctly (I'm trying really hard now :naughty:) there was a story going on. It had some very interesting elements. :biggrin2:

I heard it was "Looking at life from the perspective of a boy"

well... if he needs ideas, all he has to do is come read in here!

surely our mini sagas should inspire him for his 2nd album!

:naughty::naughty:

yup. The song would be called "My fans are psycho's" :mf_rosetinted: