Freddies English Teaching Course

let´s see how I can ask this...

I want to know if in this sentence "not" is the correct word or I should use just "no"...

I just want to know if you will be there... not that I´ve asked it several times....

"not" would be correct - but do you mean "not that I've asked the question several times"?

You would be more likely to say "I just want to know if you will be there... not that I haven't already asked....

"not" would be correct - but do you mean "not that I've asked the question several times"?

You would be more likely to say "I just want to know if you will be there... not that I haven't already asked....

ooh!! thanks!! so... the "wrong" thing in my sentence is writting "asked it" innit?

I used to hate "innit" but then I heard literary types explaining that (especially for s.o. learning English, it avoids needing to learn all the forms: "isn't it?" "hasn't it?" "wouldn't it" etc etc etc.

So it's more like "n'est-ce pas?" in French.

Living language :thumb_yello:

I used to hate "innit" but then I heard literary types explaining that (especially for s.o. learning English, it avoids needing to learn all the forms: "isn't it?" "hasn't it?" "wouldn't it" etc etc etc.

So it's more like "n'est-ce pas?" in French.

Living language :thumb_yello:

I used to have a hard time with things like that in my language too, but I've learned to accept that a language has to live and develop!:thumb_yello:

PERFECT THREAD!:thumb_yello:

i have a big question,i've asked a lot of people but haven't heard a same answer.

i have to say: thanks God or thank God?:blink:

as the common expression of relief, it's 'thank god!'...

you would use the other in sentences like "she thanks god for mika" :aah: or "thanks god, for answering my prayer!" (more often though one would be more formal with the latter ex. "thank you god for answering my prayer"...

you would use the other in sentences like "she thanks god for mika" :aah: or "thanks god, for answering my prayer!" (more often though one would be more formal with the latter ex. "thank you god for answering my prayer"...

thank you! i totally get it:thumb_yello:

Do we say "I could have swore" or "I could have swear?"

And second one: I don't know the differences between couldn't and can't. When do we use them?

It's "I could have sworn" or "I could swear".

Sorry I don't know enough about the technicalities of English grammar to explain the difference between "can" and "could" that would make any sense. :naughty:

Sorry I don't know enough about the technicalities of English grammar to explain the difference between "can" and "could" that would make any sense. :naughty:

Neither do I - we need Suzie :naughty:

It's something to do with the tense - conditional? for "could" - I could have gone to the beach (but I didn't), whereas "can" is something you are able to do - I can go to the beach

Neither do I - we need Suzie :naughty:

It's something to do with the tense - conditional? for "could" - I could have gone to the beach (but I didn't), whereas "can" is something you are able to do - I can go to the beach

I was asking my cousin why didn't he bring anything, and he said "Because my mum told me that I couldn't" :bored: so I thought "couldn't" is when you're not allow...?

I was asking my cousin why didn't he bring anything, and he said "Because my mum told me that I couldn't" :bored: so I thought "couldn't" is when you're not allow...?

In this case "could" is the past tense of can :)

It is also used as conditional, as in suggestions or advices (asking or giving), or even as a possibility that is no longer available (using your example, "I could have brought something, but my mom didn't allow me")

"Can" is more of a present and available possibility ("I can buy something" [it is possible to do it now])

I believe that's it, basicaly (though English is not my first language either, so if anyone could confirm that? :aah:)

In this case "could" is the past tense of can :)

It is also used as conditional, as in suggestions or advices (asking or giving), or even as a possibility that is no longer available (using your example, "I could have brought something, but my mom didn't allow me")

"Can" is more of a present and available possibility ("I can buy something" [it is possible to do it now])

I believe that's it, basicaly (though English is not my first language either, so if anyone could confirm that? :aah:)

That makes sense with your examples, but then it is also equally possible to say 'I could buy something now' or 'I can buy something now'.

It feels like 'could' is less certain, detailing a possibilty, whereas 'can' is detailing an ability.

I don't really know though :teehee:

So, basically, the verb only has "s" when it´s the third person (sigular) innit?