Cooking with Chickadee - The Recipes Thread

Christine

I'm happy for you that it went so well!:thumb_yello:

Chocolate...:wub2:...remember the Chocolate Silk Pie?:thumb_yello:

Which I still haven't tried to make yet... Pies are something else I'm not experienced with, so will have to put it on my challenge list. Slices were at the top, but I think I'm happy there so...

Pies

Cheesecake

Pavlova

That's the beginnings of my challenge list of things I don't currently know how to make and intend to tackle. I'm sure I can add more if I think:naughty:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, no. That's OKD's metier don't you think?

Oh yeah, I made pictures of the "process" of the one I made a little while ago, but it didn't turn out :thumbdown: But the pictures are still usable I guess.

How to Make an OkD-style Ebola Cake

(It's pretty obvious/self explanatory)

Step 1. Prepare any plain/vanilla/whatever cake mix. (Not the one I used in this cake, I obviously stuffed some step up, because this cake died)

P1070102.jpg

Step 2. Divide cake mix into bowls of however many colours you want. If you want white, obviously just leave it as it is. If you want chocolate, then add cocoa (you might have to use the electric mixer again for that one). For the colours, add a fricking LOT of food colouring, roughly half of one of those little bottles. When I was making this cake with the pictures here I had basically no food colouring left because I'd used it all on the last cake :no: So I only had blue and green, and not really enough blue.

P1070104.jpg

P1070106.jpg

Step 3. Put into prepared cake tin, in relatively big alternating blobs. Try and make it so each slice will get some of each colour.

P1070108.jpg

P1070109.jpg

Step 4. Mix it a tiny bit with a knife or something, but not too much or you just get a grey-ish mess.

P1070111.jpg

Step 5. Bake it. If you made the cake mix correct in the first place, then you will end up with an ebola cake. If you didn't, then you will end up with a flat flour-y colourful thing, like this:

P1070112.jpg

P1070113.jpg

And here is one that I prepared (properly) earlier:

P1050730-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers

Ingredients

- 12 fresh jalapeños

- 1/2 cup of cream cheese

- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese

Instructions

1) Preheat the oven to 350.

2) Cut off the tops of the jalapeños and clear out the seeds and ribs.

3) Discard seeds and ribs but keep 3 tops.

4) Finely dice the three jalapeño tops.

5) In a bowl, soften the cream cheese until smooth and evenly mix in the finely diced jalapeños tops.

6) Fill the jalapeño "boats" with the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.

7) Place the filled jalapeños in glass pan and heat in oven for about 10 minutes (or until shredded cheese gets golden and bubbly).

Also note:

* Before cutting the tops off, place the jalapeño on the table to find out which way it lays flat. That way, it won't roll over as much. :naughty:

* The heat lies mainly in the seeds and ribs, so try and get rid of as much of it as you can.

* Low/ non fat cream cheese would work fine

* Try out different (shredded) cheeses: marble, cheddar, gouda etc.

* These taste great right out of the oven (be cautious of the hot cheese and don't burn your mouth) and at room temperature- making them a great hors d'oeuvre for a party.

* If you need to make more or less, just adjust the amount of ingredients to suit your needs.

* Wash your hands and all untensils well used after working with the jalapeños.

ENJOY! :biggrin2:

Sounds spicy! I don't think I could convince my son to go there, but I have some friends who would:bleh:

Yes, if your son doesn't like spicy food, please don't make them for him. :naughty: But, on the other hand, those friends that you have that would try them...if they like spicy food, I think they would enjoy these. :)

• 8 months later...

Vegetable Pilaf with Almonds

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

30g flaked almonds

315g long grain brown rice

1 stick celery, chopped

125g green beans, chopped

125g zucchini, chopped

125g broccoli florets

1 small green capsicum, chopped

30g currants

2 teaspoons grated orange rind

juice of 1 orange

600ml boiling water

1 bay leaf

1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Heat oil in a large saucepan, to a medium heat. The onion should sizzle a bit but not brown too quickly. Cook onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the onion browns too quickly, turn down the heat.

Add garlic, almonds and rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.

Add the vegetables, currants, orange rind, orange juice, boiling water and bay leaf. Bring to the boil (ie large bubbles breaking on the water surface), cover with the saucepan lid, and turn the heat down and simmer (very small bubbles just gently breaking on the water surface) for 30 mins, or until rice is cooked. (Brown rice is chewier than white rice and will still have a bit more "firmness" to it than white rice, but it shouldn't be hard or crunchy). Add soy sauce and cook covered for a further 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

Serves 4.

It's a good idea to try to make the vegetable pieces of a similar size so they all cook evenly, and to make the size of the pieces larger for the vegetables that cook quicker.

For instance, I would have my celery slices be a couple of millimetres wide, but my zucchini slices a fair bit wider cos it cooks quicker and will otherwise be too mushy. Cut your green beans into roughly 2 cm pieces.

Broccoli florets means cutting the broccoli into the small "flower bunches" that it naturally forms. Does that make sense?

Any other questions, just ask.

Recipe from The No Meat Cookbook.

Cottage Pie with Lentils and Vegetables

220g red lentils, washed

2 bay leaves

500g assorted chopped vegetables, such as carrots, Brussel sprouts, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, pumpkin, parsnip, celery or cabbage

6 large potatoes

2 tspn sesame seeds (optional)

1/4 tspn paprika

Sauce

1 tspn olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

3 Tblspn tomato puree or paste

1 1/2 Tblspn cornflour mixed with 2 Tblspn water

2 Tblspn chopped fresh parsley or 2 tspn dried parsley

Preheat oven to 180degrees Celcius.

Combine lentils and bay leaves in a saucepan, add enough water to cover them, bring to the boil, then cover with a saucepan lid, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 500ml of the water for the sauce. (If you don't find that you have 500ml water left, don't worry. You will just get it from the tap later). Remove the bay leaves and discard. Spread the lentils over the base of a 2 litre capacity oven proof dish (a casserole dish or a pyrex dish works nicely. They should have the capacity written on the bottom somewhere, but if you are unsure, pour two litres of liquid into the dish. It should be about 3/4 full. If it's too close to the top, it may spill over the sides. If it's in too large a dish it will cook too quickly).

Peel the potatoes, chop evenly into 2-3cm cubes, place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and cook for approx 15 minutes. Start testing the potatoes with a fork to see if they are cooked. When the fork goes in to potatoes without too much resistance, but before the cubes are falling apart, drain the water from the potatoes, into a colander or sieve, then return to the saucepan, add a little marg or butter if liked, and begin to mash with a potato masher. As the potato gets smoother add some milk, and stir in until you are happy with the consistency (ie not too stiff, not too sloppy).

Cook the vegetables in boiling water for 5 minutes until just tender or microwave until just tender (ie no longer hard but still firm and not cooked completely). Drain the vegetables and place on top of the lentils.

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan to medium heat, cook onion for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add garlic, reserved lentil water and tomato puree. Bring sauce to to the boil, then stir in cornflour/water mixture and parsley. Return the sauce to the boil and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until the sauce boils and thickens. Keep stirring it during this time so that it doesn't catch on the bottom of the saucepan.

Spoon the sauce over the vegetables, then spoon the mashed potatoes over the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and paprika (optional). Bake in oven for 40 minutes.

Serves 4.

This recipe might seem fiddly, but you can do it in stages. You could make the mashed potato the night before or earlier in the day and leave it in the fridge till you need it, although it is easier to spread it while it's still warm.

The lentils and veges can also be cooked earlier and placed in the oven dish, and then you only need to make the sauce and chuck the mashed potato on top.

Maybe keep this recipe for a day when you're going to be home most of the day and have some time up your sleeve.

Recipe from the No Meat Cookbook.

They are yummy. And I'm writing them out like people don't know how to cook cos they are kind of for OKD, and she told me she can't cook.

I need to hang out some washing but I'll put some more up later.

I can't cook either, so thank you :naughty:

Crustless Curried Vegetable Flan

30g butter

3 cups assorted vegetables (peas, sliced leek, chopped shallots, graped carrot, chopped red capsicum, grated zucchini, corn kernels etc)

1 tspn curry powder

500g Light sour cream

5 eggs, lightly beaten

1/3 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)

Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and saute the vegetables until golden and almost cooked (still over that low heat). Add the curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes. Cool slightly, so that you don't "cook" the eggs or curdle the sour cream. I cool it a bit more than slightly... Combine the sour cream, eggs and flour (ie mix them together in a bowl, but be gentle). Add the cooked vegetables and combine. Pour mixture into a buttered quiche dish and bake at 180deg C for 1 hour or until golden and set. Serve sliced into wedges.

Serves 6.

This can be served on its own, warm or cold or as an accompaniment to a main course.

From the Pauls Cookbook

Mexican Corn Chowder

440g can corn kernels, drained

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tspn salt

40g butter

2 large onions, chopped

1/2 red capsicum, deseeded and finely chopped

425g can chopped peeled tomatoes

1/4 cup tomato paste

4 cups vegetable stock

1 tspn dried oregano

1 potato, peeled and diced

420g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

300mls thickened cream

Blend 3/4 cup corn kernels in a food processor or with a slender blender until smooth. Combine garlic and salt to form a paste. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, and cook the garlic paste, onion and red capsicum for 5 mins or until soft. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, simmer for 10 minutes. Add the stock, oregano, potato, kidney beans, pureed corn and remaining corn kernels. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 20 mins. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Add cream and allow to heat through, but don't let it boil again.

Serves 6.

You can replace the cream with milk if you prefer.

Wow, Chickadee...:drool: Fancy coming to stay for a bit? :naughty:

They sound absolutely scrumptious.

Rice patties:

My boyfriend's mum showed me this one while I was in Germany...for anyone who often has leftover rice that they don't know what to do with (i.e our family), this is easy and delicious.

I don't know the exact quantities of what you add...I just sort of wing it every time...but I'll hedge a guess:

Basically, for about every cup of cooked rice, add in a mixing bowl:

1 egg

1/4 cup grated cheese

1 tsp (??) flour

1 tbsp coconut milk

Salt, pepper, and herbs/spices to taste. I recommend thyme and lots of curry powder but whatever works.

To cook:

Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pour in a fairly generous amount of cooking oil. When the pan has heated up, scoop a loaded dessert spoon full of mixture into the pan and flatten it with a spatula. Flip it over after maybe 30 seconds, and continue to do so until both sides are evenly brown. Et voila!

They take about ten minutes all in all. I'm going to be eating a lot of these in university. :naughty:

Rice patties:

My boyfriend's mum showed me this one while I was in Germany...for anyone who often has leftover rice that they don't know what to do with (i.e our family), this is easy and delicious.

I don't know the exact quantities of what you add...I just sort of wing it every time...but I'll hedge a guess:

1 egg

1/4 cup grated cheese

1 tsp (??) flour

1 tbsp coconut milk

Salt, pepper, and herbs/spices to taste. I recommend thyme and lots of curry powder but whatever works.

To cook:

Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pour in a fairly generous amount of cooking oil. When the pan has heated up, scoop a loaded dessert spoon full of mixture into the pan and flatten it with a spatula. Flip it over after maybe 30 seconds, and continue to do so until both sides are evenly brown. Et voila!

They take about ten minutes all in all. I'm going to be eating a lot of these in university. :naughty:

I must try that. Our family always has rice leftover, we never learn. :naughty:

Rice patties:

1 egg

1/4 cup grated cheese

1 tsp (??) flour

1 tbsp coconut milk

To cook:

They sound yummy and easy. Think I'm gonna have to try those.

Chickpea and Broccoli Curry

425g can four bean mix, drained

425g can chickpeas, drained

1 Tblspn olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 tspn crushed fresh garlic

1-2 Tblspns mild curry powder (whatever your tastebuds can cope with)

1 tspn ground cumin

3/4 cup coconut milk

1/2 cup vegetable stock

300g broccoli florets

1 red capsicum diced into 2 cm pieces

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan (I use a large electric fry pan) to a medium heat and add the onion, garlic and spices. Cook for 3-5 minutes then add the bean mix and chickpeas. Stir through the coconut milk, vegetable stock broccoli and diced capsicum. Cook for 5-8 mins, stirring occasionally until the vegetables and beans are tender. So that the meal doesn't stick, I usually turn the fry pan down to a simmer heat and put the lid on. This does mean that it can take a little longer to cook. You just have to check when the veges feel cooked but not too soft.

Serves 4.

I don't find this recipe has enough veges in it, so I always chuck in extra. Like a bit of celery sliced, some green capsicum, and some snow peas or green beans. Maybe some carrot. Anyway, it's up to you. The thing is, if I add extra veges, I add the rest of the can of coconut milk. You need a bit of extra sauce to make up for the extra veges and it does reduce down a bit, so your meal is not swimming in coconut milk.

I serve this with boiled rice, but you could serve it with noodles if you prefer.

From the That's Life, 250 best-ever recipes book

Edited by chickadee

Question for chickadee:

If you were to teach someone living in another country a couple of typically Australian recipes, what would you teach? People in Japan often ask me, and I don't think we eat anything so terribly different from the rest of the Western world...

I think our salads are great, but I'd be interested in your thoughts:wink2: