Cooking with Chickadee - The Recipes Thread

Christine

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it Christine! I had to go pick up my daughter from Playschool.

OK, I will cut and paste a few recipes into here to get people started... Feel free to add your own!

Australian Tablespoons are 20ml not 15ml, so please take that into account with your baking.

Easy Banana Cake

60g butter

1/2 cup caster sugar

1 egg

1 tspn imitation vanilla essence

1 cup self-raising flour

1/4 cup milk

1 ripe banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 20cm ring tin. Melt butter in large saucepan, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, then add sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat well with a wooden spoon until smooth. Sift in flour, then add milk and mashed banana. Stir until just mixed. Spread evenly in tin. Bake for 30 minutes. Ice cake when cold. (It didn't say anything about letting it sit in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack but I did that...)

Icing

1 cup icing sugar

1 Tblspn butter

1 tspn lemon rind

1 tspn lemon juice

Sift icing sugar into bowl. Add other ingredients and a little bit of hot water. Mix until desired consistency achieved. Spread over cold cake.

You beat me to it Christine! I had to go pick up my daughter from Playschool.

OK, I will cut and paste a few recipes into here to get people started... Feel free to add your own!

Easy Banana Cake

60g butter

1/2 cup caster sugar

1 egg

1 tspn imitation vanilla essence

1 cup self-raising flour

1/4 cup milk

1 ripe banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 20cm ring tin. Melt butter in large saucepan, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, then add sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat well with a wooden spoon until smooth. Sift in flour, then add milk and mashed banana. Stir until just mixed. Spread evenly in tin. Bake for 30 minutes. Ice cake when cold. (It didn't say anything about letting it sit in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack but I did that...)

Icing

1 cup icing sugar

1 Tblspn butter

1 tspn lemon rind

1 tspn lemon juice

Sift icing sugar into bowl. Add other ingredients and a little bit of hot water. Mix until desired consistency achieved. Spread over cold cake.

i think i will have to make this some time :D

Australian Tablespoons are 20ml not 15ml so take that into account with your baking.

Chocolate Fudge Cake

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

3 tablespoons cocoa (not the drinking stuff)

1 cup caster sugar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon imitation vanilla essence

1 tablespoon white vinegar

1/2 cup vegetable oil or applesauce

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 20cm ring tin. Sift the first three ingredients into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk until smooth. Pour into tin. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool in tin for 10 minutes then turn out of tin onto rack to cool. Ice when cold.

Icing

1 cup icing sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa

1 tablespoon butter or margerine

Mix with a little hot water and ice cake. If you make it a bit runnier it runs down the sides of the cake and looks artistic. For me that hides the fact that I can't ice cakes.

Australian tablespoons are 20ml not 15ml so take that into account with your cooking.

Hearty Beef Stu

3 cloves garlic

2 onions

2 carrots

3 sticks celery

3 tablespoons oil (I don't use anywhere near that much!)

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/4 cup tomato paste

3 tablespoons wine vinegar (it doesn't say which colour but I use red)

2 teaspoons grated orange rind

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 1/2 cups hot water

2 beef stock cubes

1 kg chuck or topside steak ( I used round steak, it was still good)

2 tablespoons cornflour

2 tablespoons water

I don't use the cornflour and water. I throw about four potatoes in instead, cut into pieces.

Crush, peel and chop garlic. Peel and chop onions. Peel and dice carrots and celery. Heat oil in a frying pan and saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery (and potatoes) for 5 minutes. Add thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, wine vinegar, orange rind, cumin, hot water and crumbled stock cubes to frying pan. Cut meat into four pieces ( I don't do this. I cube it instead as it's easier for my toddler to manage and if you have a bit less meat, it looks like it's gone further hehe). Place in a casserole dish (needs to be a biggish one). Pour over mixture in frying pan. Cover and cook at 180 degrees C for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Mix cornflour and water together. mix into meat 10 mins before the end of cooking (if you're using them).

They look delicious, Chickadee. So, 60g of butter is around 1/4 cup of butter, right? I usually only measure butter by TBL or cup :blush-anim-cl:....so I went to this site to try to figure it out. Do you think I'm right?

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm

I'll have to go have a look for you...

hmmm what is caster sugar? just regular sugar? :blink:

I have a book with a glossary that describes what it's called in other countries. Just have to find it...

They look delicious, Chickadee. So, 60g of butter is around 1/4 cup of butter, right? I usually only measure butter by TBL or cup :blush-anim-cl:....so I went to this site to try to figure it out. Do you think I'm right?

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm

thanks for the recepies CD...

i'm gonna try the banana cake :lick_lips:

and thanks for the link lilmot!

i always have trouble with amounts too:naughty:

I just weighed 60g of butter and tried to fit it into 1/4 cup and it didn't fit. It was slightly more than 1/3 cup but not quite 1/2 cup. Sooo.... I really don't know!!!! Maybe just take a guess and see? If it doesn't work so great, you can always adjust it and try again. That's what I do.

Weetbix cake

3/4 cup of sugar

1 cup dried fruit of your choice (I find mixed dried fruit with the glace cherries in is the nicest)

1 cup of milk

3 Weetbix, crumbled

1 cup self raising flour

Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl and leave for 1 hour. Then sift in the flour. Mix well. Pour into a greased loaf tin. Bake at 150 degrees C for 45-50 mins.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/chickadee_in_oz/IMG_1537.jpg

I took photos of this one for OKD on the Aussie thread part 15 :naughty:

the worlds best chocolate self-saucing pudding:

For 6 servings:

¾ cup sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1½ cups self raising flour

1 large egg

¼ cup canola oil

1 cup milk

Sauce

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

½ cup sugar

1¼ cups boiling water

Turn the oven on to heat to 180°C. (Ignore if you’re going to use the microwave instead!)

Measure the sugar, cocoa powder and flour into a 2.5L microwave or oven proof casserole dish and stir together well to mix evenly and make sure there are no lumps.

Break the egg into another small bowl, then add the oil and milk and whisk together. Pour this into the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined (avoid over-mixing as this will toughen the pudding).

To make the sauce, stir the cocoa powder and sugar together in a small bowl. Add the boiling water and stir until the sugar dissolves, then pour this over the pudding batter.

Place in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes until the centre feels firm when pressed gently, or, cover and microwave on High (100%) power for 8-10 minutes or until done (test as above).

Cdeeeeeeee ..... can you weigh a single (or 3) weetbix for me pleeaaase? :wub2:

Can I use fruity -bix? It only has berries in it though, no raisins ... hmmm, but I am far too lazy to go to the shops :naughty:

Three weetbix weighed roughly 60g. Mind you, they were home brand, maybe not quite the same size as real weetbix, but i don't think it matters that much.