Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

However I peeked into the booklet already and I'm surprised about how DaWack's creations have developed from a rather simple (no, not in a negative way!) painting book style with colors focused on the primary palette to a more elaborate wanting-to-be-taken-seriously-as-an-artist approach. I'm not yet sure if I like it so much - or more so if I like it in the Mika context.

Anyway, from the booklet and reviews about the show itself I have the impression that this whole thing was more of a huge self-actualisation project in form of a gigantic playground for Mika himself in first place, for his sister with the artwork and also for Andy.

I will have to watch the show to see if it confirms my guess.

Yes, and yes.

Ie, I agree. It's more or less a bit what quite a few of us have been saying about the DVD...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been watching the PdesP show again and found my favourite part :wub2: : a couple of seconds starting at 48 mn 13 s, during Just can't get enough.

There is a young woman there (twentyish I would say), standing in the first rows, completely dazzled : while the other spectators sing along with Mika and the chorists she is totally motionless, staring at the stage with an incredible intensity ; she is literally alone with the performers.

She was filmed at the Olympia gig too (don't have the time to watch it right now but noticed her on the DVD), and she behaved in exactly the same way.

It is incredibly touching, you feel at the same time happy :cheerful_h4h: for her and wishing you could reach the same degree of blissfull concentration in the middle of such a crowd.

Is she one of us. Well, she obviously is a fan, but is she a MFCer ? Do you know her ? Did she spot herself on the DVD ?

I've got my copy :wub2:

But I won't be able to watch it before tonight :thumbdown:

However I peeked into the booklet already and I'm surprised about how DaWack's creations have developed from a rather simple (no, not in a negative way!) painting book style with colors focused on the primary palette to a more elaborate wanting-to-be-taken-seriously-as-an-artist approach. I'm not yet sure if I like it so much - or more so if I like it in the Mika context.

Anyway, from the booklet and reviews about the show itself I have the impression that this whole thing was more of a huge self-actualisation project in form of a gigantic playground for Mika himself in first place, for his sister with the artwork and also for Andy.

I will have to watch the show to see if it confirms my guess.

I kind of agree to a point, about this show being a self actualisation, but I'm not so sure it's to do with ego, as has been mentioned elswhere, more of a self confidence thing, to see if he could actually do it.

I 'm not sure that he's that sure of himself yet, that he feels the need to massage his own ego yet.

With the artwork, I'm sure Yasmine felt she wants to move on from the previous material, as does Mika, again not an ego thing, just a change of scenery, repetition would be boring.

And this is Andys first project with him, so we can't really compare it to anything yet.

Edited by RAK1

I kind of agree to a point, about this show being a self actualisation, but I'm not so sure it's to do with ego, as has been mentioned elswhere, more of a self confidence thing, to see if he could actually do it.

I 'm not sure that he's that sure of himself yet, that he feels the need to massage his own ego yet.

With the artwork, I'm sure Yasmine felt she wants to move on from the previous material, as does Mika, again not an ego thing, just a change of scenery, repetition would be boring.

And this is Andys first project with him, so we can't really compare it to anything yet.

I would say that it's partly the self confidence thing that you mention, and partly the ego thing. Maybe 50/50? Not saying that having an ego is a bad thing, in fact it's very human (and many artists have a particularly big one) but it's what I think may be the case.

I also agree with the fact that he sometimes doesn't seem to be quite sure of his own worth yet, but at others he comes across as quite cocky and self assured. I suppose that moments of self doubt are always plenty when one is a perfectionist (I speak from experience :wink2:).

About Andy...I really don't think that PDP could be called his project. Maybe the documentary part of it? The cameras filming the PDP show were not his, so unless he was "the one" doing all the editing,etc, I wouldn't even think that he was that majorly involved with it.

Not even the fan interviews were directly filmed by him, he was just standing by/directing his new "slave" Nathaniel :roftl:.

I would say that it's partly the self confidence thing that you mention, and partly the ego thing. Maybe 50/50? Not saying that having an ego is a bad thing, in fact it's very human (and many artists have a particularly big one) but it's what I think may be the case.

I also agree with the fact that he sometimes doesn't seem to be quite sure of his own worth yet, but at others he comes across as quite cocky and self assured. I suppose that moments of self doubt are always plenty when one is a perfectionist (I speak from experience :wink2:).

About Andy...I really don't think that PDP could be called his project. Maybe the documentary part of it? The cameras filming the PDP show were not his, so unless he was "the one" doing all the editing,etc, I wouldn't even think that he was that majorly involved with it.

Not even the fan interviews were directly filmed by him, he was just standing by/directing his new "slave" Nathaniel :roftl:.

Hahahahaha!

I like that, his slave, LOL!

Well ,did you not see how he was just bossing the poor Nathan around? :roftl::roftl: It looked like he (Andy) was really enjoying it haha!!

Bossy Andy, tsk! :bleh::naughty:

And all the while denying he's the boss, LOL!

BAD ANDY! heh heh.

I totally agree with that. I never meant it in an ego boosting look-how-great-I-am way. Just a few people having their heads full of ideas and being lucky enough to have the opportunity to actually carry them out.

You can easily see that Mika is not really that self-confident yet. The fact that he only has his France shows pressed on dvd says it all.

i got my DVD today!:yay:

even 1 day earlier:shocked:the delivery date was between 20-26 November:blink:

Amazon Rocks!:thumb_yello:

ps: after making fun of the essentiality of Deluxe version,turns out i actually ordered the deluxe one by mistake too:roftl:

Amazon sucks:thumbdown:

I totally agree with that. I never meant it in an ego boosting look-how-great-I-am way. Just a few people having their heads full of ideas and being lucky enough to have the opportunity to actually carry them out.

You can easily see that Mika is not really that self-confident yet. The fact that he only has his France shows pressed on dvd says it all.

It was the size and scope of the project that impressed Rob. (I made him watch it the night my dvd arrived - he was "reluctant".) He had no idea that Mika could command those sort of numbers or the budget that must have been involved. I think he thought it was a few weird Oldlings who turned up to see him and no-one else........ (sorry Oldlings lol)

Well ,did you not see how he was just bossing the poor Nathan around? :roftl::roftl: It looked like he (Andy) was really enjoying it haha!!

Bossy Andy, tsk! :bleh::naughty:

I know it is the trend for them all to have at least six names but is his name not Nathaniel!?:naughty:

It was the size and scope of the project that impressed Rob. (I made him watch it the night my dvd arrived - he was "reluctant".) He had no idea that Mika could command those sort of numbers or the budget that must have been involved. I think he thought it was a few weird Oldlings who turned up to see him and no-one else........ (sorry Oldlings lol)

Yes, Dave was impressed too................the first time:roftl:

when I got the DVD - I went through the documentary section first, which was OK, but the same idea kept repeating on and on... yes, it is interesting seeing the hard work put behind it - but it was a little too much... with the repetition... he sort of lost me with the fashion designer and Christian la boutin... I felt it was something probably meant a lot to him to add in the documentary ... but did nothing to me... getting a fancy jacket and shoes means nothing to me... with respect to his gig.. and how much value it added to his music and live performance..

The interviews with people... all the praise... was a little too much... though I loved the bit with his sister (the funny bits when they are joking about him being silent before the gig)

I have to admit that I have been a fan of is music and vocals from day 1.. and not his looks or the other things that attract many other fans... so on that level it was a little bit of a deja vu... In fact I feel good that I have seen him live in Beirut and Brixton cause the energy he had on stage on both occasions was way higher

I felt the whole gig/DVD is a personal ego boost and a challenge that he put to impress himself and entertain himself... when really all he needed was his piano and his lovely octaves to impress me as a fan...

ok... now, I know I might sound a little harsh... so, I will also talk about all the nice things about the DVD.. and things that brought a smile to my face

- The little jokes in the documentary (how he tried to call Es and convince her, and how he is usually silent before gigs)

when it comes to content... there was really not enough juice for me

Racha, I really enjoyed reading such a detailed review, that mentioned a lot of aspects of the dvd that haven't been much discussed yet. Mind, I think differently about most of them. This being MFC, I'd better point out that I'm responding purely because I l love talking about a dvd I enjoyed, and not to prove that anybody's "wrong" or "negative".

It was a big surprise to me too to see MW and CL on the documentary- I found MIka's absorption in his new clothes a little alienating, though I'm interested in fashion, and wondered why he thought his clothes were integral to the event planning. Against that, I thought those sections were among the most entertaining to watch, as both men (to me) had an interesting and energising screen presence. And that could be enough reason to keep them in- this documentary's only a bit of entertainment after all. More cynically, I also wondered if there were contractual obligations.

I liked the way the praise interviews were intercut with Mika looking literally green with fear on the way to PDP and, unlike a previous poster, don't see any reason to object to the fact that they were his managers, support act and MFCers- I'm not particularly interested in the opinions of rent-a-pundits and, besides, I don't think Mika does have the respect of the music industry generally, despite the Ivor.

I have difficulty believing he showed more energy onstage in Beirut- and didn't pick it up from your sadly deleted YouTubes. Surely if he'd shown more energy on the day he'd have exploded? I thought he looked athletic even compared to PDP's usual inhabitants. (Incidentally, as a rugby watcher, PDP held a glamour for me long before I'd heard of Mika- and I see it as a big minus that he apparantly avoided playing rugby as long as he could).

Speculatively, I wondered if the dvd was not so much an ego boost as maybe a justification for a change in direction- the praisers didn't just praise him, they emphasised Mika as a visual artist, and one who saw his first stadium show as "career defining". Even so, the big surprise to me was the lack of emphasis on musical changes- the new band members, the changed style of Holy Johnny (I prefered the plainer, less country, earlier version) the "rave" reworking of relax. I thought there was quite a change of sound but nothing was mentioned, although the changes were already public.

When it comes to content, I think a lot depends on how much you already know about this sort of thing. Although I'm a big fan of "Making the Video" and other "Making of" type stuff, I don't have a lot of time to watch TV so quite a lot was new to me- sorting out the screens, making the plastic masks, needing a model bird and being pleased it was rigid (why, it looked too stiff to me?). I work in local government, so this was a look at an almost unreal, creative world, which very effectively drew me in- and was different from the "Musician on the road" world shown on LiveICM. I've noticed in the past that MFC seems to have a high proportion of people in creative jobs or with visual hobbies, and imagine this affect how interesting you find the documentary.

One thing that's surprised me was how few people liked the guy doing a balancing act during the AOW intro (I remember that Sariflor loathes him and most of the rest of you seem to have only noticed his ass). I thought that he was the standout highlight of the visual section becuase, though I can't really articulate what Mika's lyrics mean, it seemed to complement them at some half conscious level.

Sorry, long review again, but I like talking about this stuff.

watched it...

i don't feel like writing a reviewbecause don't want to sound "negative"

just wake me up when the 2nd album is released:mf_rosetinted:

i'm really disappointed in this DVD and Paris show ! even the documentary part was... kinda boring.

only some new songs make feel like...erm... i used to feel:wub2:

i'm beyond ready for the 2nd album!

Racha, I really enjoyed reading such a detailed review, that mentioned a lot of aspects of the dvd that haven't been much discussed yet. Mind, I think differently about most of them. This being MFC, I'd better point out that I'm responding purely because I l love talking about a dvd I enjoyed, and not to prove that anybody's "wrong" or "negative".

It was a big surprise to me too to see MW and CL on the documentary- I found MIka's absorption in his new clothes a little alienating, though I'm interested in fashion, and wondered why he thought his clothes were integral to the event planning. Against that, I thought those sections were among the most entertaining to watch, as both men (to me) had an interesting and energising screen presence. And that could be enough reason to keep them in- this documentary's only a bit of entertainment after all. More cynically, I also wondered if there were contractual obligations.

I liked the way the praise interviews were intercut with Mika looking literally green with fear on the way to PDP and, unlike a previous poster, don't see any reason to object to the fact that they were his managers, support act and MFCers- I'm not particularly interested in the opinions of rent-a-pundits and, besides, I don't think Mika does have the respect of the music industry generally, despite the Ivor.

I have difficulty believing he showed more energy onstage in Beirut- and didn't pick it up from your sadly deleted YouTubes. Surely if he'd shown more energy on the day he'd have exploded? I thought he looked athletic even compared to PDP's usual inhabitants. (Incidentally, as a rugby watcher, PDP held a glamour for me long before I'd heard of Mika- and I see it as a big minus that he apparantly avoided playing rugby as long as he could).

Speculatively, I wondered if the dvd was not so much an ego boost as maybe a justification for a change in direction- the praisers didn't just praise him, they emphasised Mika as a visual artist, and one who saw his first stadium show as "career defining". Even so, the big surprise to me was the lack of emphasis on musical changes- the new band members, the changed style of Holy Johnny (I prefered the plainer, less country, earlier version) the "rave" reworking of relax. I thought there was quite a change of sound but nothing was mentioned, although the changes were already public.

When it comes to content, I think a lot depends on how much you already know about this sort of thing. Although I'm a big fan of "Making the Video" and other "Making of" type stuff, I don't have a lot of time to watch TV so quite a lot was new to me- sorting out the screens, making the plastic masks, needing a model bird and being pleased it was rigid (why, it looked too stiff to me?). I work in local government, so this was a look at an almost unreal, creative world, which very effectively drew me in- and was different from the "Musician on the road" world shown on LiveICM. I've noticed in the past that MFC seems to have a high proportion of people in creative jobs or with visual hobbies, and imagine this affect how interesting you find the documentary.

One thing that's surprised me was how few people liked the guy doing a balancing act during the AOW intro (I remember that Sariflor loathes him and most of the rest of you seem to have only noticed his ass). I thought that he was the standout highlight of the visual section becuase, though I can't really articulate what Mika's lyrics mean, it seemed to complement them at some half conscious level.

Sorry, long review again, but I like talking about this stuff.

Thanks SS for your feedback... I like the way you have interpreted things... and the way we have seen things in common and the way we have seen things in a different way...

I agree with you on the fashion bit... and thank you for pointing out the footage bit that shows Mika in his insecure moment.. cause with all the glam and praise.. I kind of lost subjectivity of him being humble in this whole experience... but come to think of it and after reading your feedback.. it is true.. he is a little kid sometimes... and that makes him much more approachable as an artirst... irrespective of all the praise that he added in his documentary... he was cute...

regarding the comparison with the Beirut gig ... or even brixton... Unfortunately I have deleted my videos... but there are still many youtube videos of Brixton and even Beirut that do not belong to me.. I suggest you search youtube... Take a look at them...

At the end of day, each one can subjectively experience things in their own way... and I have to admit that the best performance after Brixton was Beirut... and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is my home city.. am sorry that I have deleted my videos for personal reasons but there are still plenty of youtube videos to check... his vocals were perfect... his voice did not break at all ( that is my biggest love for mika... his voice and performance) ... Also, he had lots of spontaneous moments...

and he was not out of breath.... he was interacting with the audience on a different level that I did not whiteness in the PdP DVD... I guess no one would understand what I mean unless they were there and have seen his interaction with the crowd... no words can describe it... but one things is for sure... no matter how rehearsed it was in brixton or Beirut ... he still was not robotic and the flow of the gig was natural... the interaction with the audience was magical.. and there were some really amazing moments that I did not feel in the DVD.. then again, I was not there at the night... and am only comparing to my very subjective experience... so I guess this is just my way of seeing and experiencing the pleasure in the live gigs that I have attended... which am sure many might disagree with me

that being said... I still believe the DVD was very entertaining and probably a great souvenir for all the people who enjoyed that night.. and those who missed out on seeing him live the past summer - live..

he is a very talented live artist... so within the norm he is way beyond average... and maybe because I have so much respect for his art... and love for his music talent... I was a little demanding when it comes to my expectations from him, knowing that he put so much effort in this one Big gig....

again, I as I said before, the DVD is worth buying... and the documentary had many great moments... especially the part that explains his artistic audio visual vision ...

the praise was a little lame.. and the fashion bit was irrelevant... in my personal humble opinion...

I still love his music... and will always be the first to order his next album... I was entertained by the DVD... :thumb_yello: I was just expecting the music part to be up the same standards of the "less" glamorous gigs that I have seen live...

You inflicted it more than once? Wow! I am impressed :roftl:

Ruth..............this is ME you are talking to............it is a daily occurance:naughty:

SS and CC................I have read your posts with interest.....it REALLY is very intersting to read peoples opinions and I agree with your point SS about people viewing it very differently depending on what their experience/background is. Racha, a very good point about him being out of breath at times.............his performance is always very demanding physically but the distance he kept running from the stage to the catwalk obviously added to the demands. Certainly, it is my opinion that the performance was much better the following night in Arras.....he was just so much more visably relaxed

I know it is the trend for them all to have at least six names but is his name not Nathaniel!?:naughty:

Ermmm...I thought that Nathan was short for Nathaniel?:boxed::naughty: No??

T

regarding the comparison with the Beirut gig ... or even brixton... Unfortunately I have deleted my videos... but there are still many youtube videos of Brixton and even Beirut that do not belong to me.. I suggest you search youtube... Take a look at them...

At the end of day, each one can subjectively experience things in their own way... and I have to admit that the best performance after Brixton was Beirut... and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is my home city.. am sorry that I have deleted my videos for personal reasons but there are still plenty of youtube videos to check... his vocals were perfect... his voice did not break at all ( that is my biggest love for mika... his voice and performance) ... Also, he had lots of spontaneous moments...

and he was not out of breath.... he was interacting with the audience on a different level that I did not whiteness in the PdP DVD... I guess no one would understand what I mean unless they were there and have seen his interaction with the crowd... no words can describe it... but one things is for sure... no matter how rehearsed it was in brixton or Beirut ... he still was not robotic and the flow of the gig was natural... the interaction with the audience was magical.. and there were some really amazing moments that I did not feel in the DVD.. then again, I was not there at the night... and am only comparing to my very subjective experience... so I guess this is just my way of seeing and experiencing the pleasure in the live gigs that I have attended... which am sure many might disagree with me

I still love his music... and will always be the first to order his next album... I was entertained by the DVD... :thumb_yello: I was just expecting the music part to be up the same standards of the "less" glamorous gigs that I have seen live...

What you said there about Brixton and Beirut is exactly what I have been saying since day one after the PDP gig.

The "feeling" was not the same as in some other gigs of is that I've been to, not for me, and his singing was not the same (as good) either.

I watched the DVD today for the first time, but only had time to watch the concert part. So far I absoutely love it! Can't wait to see the rest of it tomorrow, or whenever I'll have enough time. I think the concert was simply amazing and breathtaking.

Ermmm...I thought that Nathan was short for Nathaniel?:boxed::naughty: No??

Well, I suppose, looking at the two words it would be difficult to argue otherwise:naughty: But I have never thought of the two as the same name:wink2:

I may be back in this place with a review when/if I can be bothered to have my rotten copy exchanged... I haven't watched more than about 5 minutes of the documentary yet (although that one is technically okay)... didn't really blow me away.

I'll give it another try when I'm less tired :bye:

A couple of mentions in the press about Mika's new DVD -- note that the competition in the one is over, but the other doesn't have a date, and the other has expired...

Mika-CoreNov-Dec0812.jpg

Mika-SundayMercury9thNov086.jpg

Mika-VerveNov0812.jpg

... no matter how rehearsed it was in brixton or Beirut ... he still was not robotic and the flow of the gig was natural... the interaction with the audience was magical.. and there were some really amazing moments that I did not feel in the DVD.. then again, I was not there at the night... and am only comparing to my very subjective experience... so I guess this is just my way of seeing and experiencing the pleasure in the live gigs that I have attended... which am sure many might disagree with me.

Yes it all boils down to personal experience and we've had similar experiences (Brixton + another extraordinary gig) which is probably why we have the same opinions.

Someone told me last night I was being too harsh and that people are just looking for things to criticize but you have to look at the opinions in the context of people's experiences.

My only objective complaint about the DVD is that some of the concert footage looks like it belonged on the cutting room floor but as Niki pointed out, perhaps this was necessary to keep the cameras unobtrusive for the live audience.

Everything else is subjective and I think any fan would want to watch the DVD and see for themselves especially if you were at the gig.

Everything else is subjective

Yes of course, absolutely.

But I do think that you can't compare Brixton gig to PDP! These gigs were absolutely different. You can just say that you prefer this kind of gig to another but you really can't compare...

I was at both gigs and of course the emotions are not the same as everything was at larger scale in Paris....

And I must add that living the PDP show and watching the DVD is also something completely different.....:wink2:

his singing was not the same (as good) either.

well here again I don't agree with you (:roftl:you must think that I'm persecuting you but I'm not!)

Actually I was surprised by the quality of the sound (especially that I was in the seat section where the sound can be sometimes awful) and by his voice too! I agree that he was sometimes out of breath but have you seen the size of the stage? and I found that Mika was successfully making a kind of "Madonnaish" performance running from one point to another!!! (without the playback of course:naughty:) What a breath!