Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give me a good list of books that have been turned into movies? Maybe some not so well known ones?

Interview With A Vampire - Anne Rice

Girl, Interrupted (:wub2:) - Susanna Kaysen

Lord Of The Flies (can't remember the author)

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

I REALLY recommend 'Girl, Interrupted' I haven't seen the movie yet, tho I know it is a movie, but the book was AMAZING! It's a memior of a woman who was a mental patient and the way she describes insanity really makes you question yourself.

Oh, and 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess was a FABULOUS book and movie! But be sure to get the UK version of the book because the American's took out the last chapter :rolls_eyes:

AND 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' I haven't seen that movie either but the book, which I read half of, was great. I loved the writing style :wub2:

'Interview With A Vampire' is one of my favourite books and movies ever. Tho I advise you watch the movie before reading the book because there area lot of differences but the movie itself IS a very good movie. The entire series, 'The Vampire Chronicles,' is very good so far. Somewhat erotic, especially in the later books, but still sophisticated and a good read. One of the few books I constantly have an urge to read aloud for some reason :wub2:

:biggrin2:

I REALLY recommend 'Girl, Interrupted' I haven't seen the movie yet, tho I know it is a movie, but the book was AMAZING! It's a memior of a woman who was a mental patient and the way she describes insanity really makes you question yourself.

It was a really good movie. I liked it.

Interview With A Vampire - Anne Rice

Lord Of The Flies (can't remember the author)

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Oh, and 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess was a FABULOUS book and movie! But be sure to get the UK version of the book because the American's took out the last chapter :rolls_eyes:

AND 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' I haven't seen that movie either but the book, which I read half of, was great. I loved the writing style :wub2:

'Interview With A Vampire' is one of my favourite books and movies ever. Tho I advise you watch the movie before reading the book because there area lot of differences but the movie itself IS a very good movie. The entire series, 'The Vampire Chronicles,' is very good so far. Somewhat erotic, especially in the later books, but still sophisticated and a good read. One of the few books I constantly have an urge to read aloud for some reason :wub2:

:biggrin2:

Hey thanks! :biggrin2: I will add them to my list of books to read. I actually started to watch Interview with a Vampire one night but didn't get to finish it because I had to go to bed. Work, bah!

It was a really good movie. I liked it.

Cool, my aunt has it, I'm going to have to borrow it :biggrin2:

Hey thanks! :biggrin2: I will add them to my list of books to read. I actually started to watch Interview with a Vampire one night but didn't get to finish it because I had to go to bed. Work, bah!

I loved the movie. I saw it before I even knew it was a book and loved it mmediately. it's one of the few movies I can watch over and over :biggrin2:

I just remembered a few more:

'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury, I still haven't seen the movie of this but I heard it was very different from the book in a bad way. They kinda ruined the meaning of the book. It was one of the best books I've ever read though. It was written beautifully, great diction and sentence structure. It was written in a way the made you feel whatever he wanted you to feel just by the way the sentences are formed. I think the movie was remade not too long ago and I herd the remake was better.

And 'Soilent Green,' I don't know who wrote the book and I haven't had the chance to read it because I can't find it anywhere but it's about...well I cant really tell you what it's about without ruining it. I do advise you look it up though. It's a very good idea and my dad said the movie was great.

And one more: 'Watership Down' I can't remember the author to this either but it's a book about rabbits. It sounds stupid, I thought the same, but it's not a children's book (as I also thought) in fact the ideas and way it's written is very adult. It's somewhat complex...but not at the same time. It's complex because the way of thinking is so simple...I know that's not a very good explination. And beautifully written. I can't explein this one very well, it's another book you'd be better looking up yourself. I've only seen half of the movie, which was a cartoon btw, and what I saw was ok but it lost a lot of the eloquence the book had.

:thumb_yello:

Awesome, can't wait to hear what you think.

So I started reaing "Sex, Drugs and Coca Puffs" last night.

Nix that, this morning at 1am. :aah:

I laughed (and I've never actually laugh while reading booksbefore) when he's talking about John Cusack. "It appears that countless women born between the years of 1965 and 1978 are in love with John Cusack. I cannot fathom why he isn't the number-one-box-office star in America, because every straight girl I know would sell her soul to share a milkshake with that motherf*cker. For upwardly mobile women in their twenties and thirties, John Cusack is the neo-Elvis." :lmao:

I haven't had much time to read more of it, so I'm only on the second part (the Sims one). Pretty good read so far.

You know how after reading so many books that kinda take a toll on your brain you want to read something stupid and fun?

Anyone read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich?

REALLY stupid comedy but sooooo funny! Simple writing so it's a nice break e books are actually quite s trt.hink abhayey the books are actually quite short. They're addictive too. I usually read one in about a day cause it's so funny you can't put it down :lmfao:

I loved the movie. I saw it before I even knew it was a book and loved it mmediately. it's one of the few movies I can watch over and over :biggrin2:

I just remembered a few more:

'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury, I still haven't seen the movie of this but I heard it was very different from the book in a bad way. They kinda ruined the meaning of the book. It was one of the best books I've ever read though. It was written beautifully, great diction and sentence structure. It was written in a way the made you feel whatever he wanted you to feel just by the way the sentences are formed. I think the movie was remade not too long ago and I herd the remake was better.

And 'Soilent Green,' I don't know who wrote the book and I haven't had the chance to read it because I can't find it anywhere but it's about...well I cant really tell you what it's about without ruining it. I do advise you look it up though. It's a very good idea and my dad said the movie was great.

And one more: 'Watership Down' I can't remember the author to this either but it's a book about rabbits. It sounds stupid, I thought the same, but it's not a children's book (as I also thought) in fact the ideas and way it's written is very adult. It's somewhat complex...but not at the same time. It's complex because the way of thinking is so simple...I know that's not a very good explination. And beautifully written. I can't explein this one very well, it's another book you'd be better looking up yourself. I've only seen half of the movie, which was a cartoon btw, and what I saw was ok but it lost a lot of the eloquence the book had.

Yay! A few more to look for. I did a search for Soilent Green. I can't find it in my library. I even ran a search for it on Barnes and nobel. Nothing.

You know how after reading so many books that kinda take a toll on your brain you want to read something stupid and fun?

Anyone read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich?

REALLY stupid comedy but sooooo funny! Simple writing so it's a nice break e books are actually quite s trt.hink abhayey the books are actually quite short. They're addictive too. I usually read one in about a day cause it's so funny you can't put it down :lmfao:

I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need a fun read. Something you can get lost it.

Hey purplegrape, thanks for recommending Nights at the Circus. I really like it :wub2:

My pleasure. I need to go to the library and get it back. It was overdue and I returned it just after I finished the first chapter in 'St. Petersburg.' :wub2:

My pleasure. I need to go to the library and get it back. It was overdue and I returned it just after I finished the first chapter in 'St. Petersburg.' :wub2:

Ooh that sucks. Yeah, I think I might want to buy it later, just 'cause I like it. I'm a little more than halfway through. I really want to read The Magic Toyshop next. :naughty:

Ooh that sucks. Yeah, I think I might want to buy it later, just 'cause I like it. I'm a little more than halfway through. I really want to read The Magic Toyshop next. :naughty:

I might just buy it instead of getting it from the library cause I know I'll love the rest of it as well :wub2:

Yeah, the rest of her novels are on my list of books to read :naughty:

So I did a little searching. There's a movie called Soylent Green based off the book 'Make Room Make Room' by Harry Harrison. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Room!_Make_Room!

Is this it?

So I did a little searching. There's a movie called Soylent Green based off the book 'Make Room Make Room' by Harry Harrison. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Room!_Make_Room!

Is this it?

Hmm, yes I guess so. Like I said, I haven't read the book yet but my dad told me it was by the same name. But yes, that seems to be it. That's the movie at least :thumb_yello:

Hmm, yes I guess so. Like I said, I haven't read the book yet but my dad told me it was by the same name. But yes, that seems to be it. That's the movie at least :thumb_yello:

Yay! lol I'll have to buy it sometime when I have a little extra cash. My library doesn't have it. :shocked:

Just finished 'No Time For Goodbye' by Linwood Barclay

Very good read, finished it in a few days. I became as paranoid as the characters. :naughty:

I'm thinking of starting 'The Magicians' by Lev Grossman. But I have so many library books right now it's hard to choose. :biggrin2:

And i've been reading the "Twilight" vampire saga since Xmas...:lmfao:

My daughter got it at Xmas, and she wants to read it, and i always read the books she wants to read first, just in case...:naughty:

Just finished "New Moon"...

Not sure if i'll let her read it, thoug...:no:

And i'm sick and tired of such vampiresque cheesy dialogues, FFS!

My daughter got it at Xmas, and she wants to read it, and i always read the books she wants to read first, just in case...:naughty:

Just finished "New Moon"...

Not sure if i'll let her read it, thoug...:no:

And i'm sick and tired of such vampiresque cheesy dialogues, FFS!

I didn't make it halfway through the first book. :blush-anim-cl: But I'm not allowed to bash them because my sister-in-law is a fan. I'll probably read them all at some point so I know what people are talking about . . . or watch the movies at least.

I've never been big on vampire books/movies, every once in a while I'll find one I like but it's not really something I'm into.

I didn't make it halfway through the first book. :blush-anim-cl: But I'm not allowed to bash them because my sister-in-law is a fan. I'll probably read them all at some point so I know what people are talking about . . . or watch the movies at least.

I've never been big on vampire books/movies, every once in a while I'll find one I like but it's not really something I'm into.

Oh, I'm not I bashing it, I just found the dialogues disappointing...:(

Everyone i know is mad about it and I understand why people like it...

I read the first 2 so i can say i liked it, too...:naughty:

I've also seen the movies with my daughter and i liked them, but still even at the movies dialogues were soooo cheeeesy for that kind of fiction, you now...:naughty:

I know now i'm going to be crucified by the Twilight Thread girls...or bitten!:roftl:

Oh, I'm not I bashing it, I just found the dialogues disappointing...:(

Everyone i know is mad about it and I understand why people like it...

I read the first 2 so i can say i liked it, too...:naughty:

I've also seen the movies with my daughter and i liked them, but still even at the movies dialogues were soooo cheeeesy for that kind of fiction, you now...:naughty:

I know now i'm going to be crucified by the Twilight Thread girls...or bitten!:roftl:

I understand where you're coming from. I love the books but I find myself cringing at some of dialogue when I watch the film.

I was eager to read it before Christmas. Or to read "Harry Potter" (at least the first book). :naughty: Think I got sick and tired of studies and better-read-3-times stuff and I seriously need some brainwash. :bored:

I also planned to read "Lovely Bones", cause there's a film coming out, and I don't want it to spoil the book. Maybe it's a better idea than Twilight? :blink:

I understand where you're coming from. I love the books but I find myself cringing at some of dialogue when I watch the film.

I was eager to read it before Christmas. Or to read "Harry Potter" (at least the first book). :naughty: Think I got sick and tired of studies and better-read-3-times stuff and I seriously need some brainwash. :bored:

I also planned to read "Lovely Bones"' date=' cause there's a film coming out, and I don't want it to spoil the book. Maybe it's a better idea than Twilight? :blink:[/quote']

Can't really say as i dunno "Lovely Bones", is it any good from what you heard?

Twilight is damn fine as long as if you don't mind about cheese dialogues...:naughty: