Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

I did! She's awesome. :wub2:

I also like, um.. Jodi Picoult, Steven Levenkron, Diane Duane, Susan Cooper, John Marsden, Aidan Chambers, Michael Chambon.. and more of that sort. I also really love this Dutch author called Floortje Zwigtman, but I don't think her books were translated into English.. So you probably don't know her. :naughty:

Which do you like?

Actually I pay attention more on the book/subject/story than the author :teehee:, but I like some brazilian authors like Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Álvares de Azevedo (both wrote poetry too), Machado de Assis, José de Alencar, Lygia Fagundes Telles (at the moment I remembering only these ones, but there's more:aah:) and some another foreign authors too like Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe and especially Diana Wynne Jones :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read anything for a long time, because of a lack of time. Today I searched some books on the net and I can't find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions of a book so thrilling and captivating you can't put it down?

I haven't read anything for a long time, because of a lack of time. Today I searched some books on the net and I can't find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions of a book so thrilling and captivating you can't put it down?

Ummmmmm... I guess it all depends on what sort of books you like.

One I would definitely suggest to anyone is "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. It takes a long time to get into them, but once the really interesting stuff started I couldn't put it down!

I read a lot of books, even comics :)

But, now, I have to read Slavoj Zizek's for my thesis. I think Zizek makes 'philosophy can be fun' .

Aah, I'm reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco too.

You read everything you can see, it's not only about text

Actually I pay attention more on the book/subject/story than the author :teehee:, but I like some brazilian authors like Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Álvares de Azevedo (both wrote poetry too), Machado de Assis, José de Alencar, Lygia Fagundes Telles (at the moment I remembering only these ones, but there's more:aah:) and some another foreign authors too like Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe and especially Diana Wynne Jones :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Me too, most of the time, but there are some authors that wrote loads of books and that write in that special way that's just awesome to read. And then when I read one book by them, I want to read other too. Or series of books. :teehee:

I'm re-reading Chrestomanci now, though I started with Charmed Life, and I should have started with The Lived Of Christopher Chant. But I didn't remember which one was first. :aah: But I've read them before anyway, so it's not like I missed important information. Though I did only read them in Dutch translation.. But that's okay. They are better in English though.

Me too, most of the time, but there are some authors that wrote loads of books and that write in that special way that's just awesome to read. And then when I read one book by them, I want to read other too. Or series of books. :teehee:

I'm re-reading Chrestomanci now, though I started with Charmed Life, and I should have started with The Lived Of Christopher Chant. But I didn't remember which one was first. :aah: But I've read them before anyway, so it's not like I missed important information. Though I did only read them in Dutch translation.. But that's okay. They are better in English though.

The story in ''The Lives of Christopher Chant'' happen 25 years before ''Charmed Life'' (there's on the first one) but there's no problem, I read first CL and then TLOCC, and I was looking on Wikipedia (in Portuguese, I didn't find it in English page, but there's too the cronological order of the stories ) and there's a part wich says the author reccomends we read the book in the following order:

''Diana Wynne Jones recommends reading ''Charmed Life'', followed by ''The Lives of Christopher Chant''. So ''Conrad's Fate'', ''The Week of Wizards'', The Magicians of Caprona and the short stories of ''Mixed Magics'' in any order after those (although two of the tales of this happening soon after the ''Wizards of Caprona''). ''The Pinhoe Egg'' goes right after ''Charmed Life'' and shortly after the events of "Soul Robber" and "The Carol Oneir's Hundrest Dream"(both tales of Mixed Magics).''

I didn't read ''Conrad's Fate''/ ''The Pinhoe Egg'' because I didn't find them to download in Portuguese (actually I found CF to download, but it was in English and my English vocabulary is in development :teehee:)

The story in ''The Lives of Christopher Chant'' happen 25 years before ''Charmed Life'' (there's on the first one) but there's no problem, I read first CL and then TLOCC, and I was looking on Wikipedia (in Portuguese, I didn't find it in English page, but there's too the cronological order of the stories ) and there's a part wich says the author reccomends we read the book in the following order:

''Diana Wynne Jones recommends reading ''Charmed Life'', followed by ''The Lives of Christopher Chant''. So ''Conrad's Fate'', ''The Week of Wizards'', The Magicians of Caprona and the short stories of ''Mixed Magics'' in any order after those (although two of the tales of this happening soon after the ''Wizards of Caprona''). ''The Pinhoe Egg'' goes right after ''Charmed Life'' and shortly after the events of "Soul Robber" and "The Carol Oneir's Hundrest Dream"(both tales of Mixed Magics).''

I didn't read ''Conrad's Fate''/ ''The Pinhoe Egg'' because I didn't find them to download in Portuguese (actually I found CF to download, but it was in English and my English vocabulary is in development :teehee:)

Yeah, I know.. But I wanted to read them in chronological order in the stories. Which would be first TLOCC, Conrad's Fate, Charmed Life, Pinhoe Egg. And Witchweek and Magicians of Caprona are kinda outside of the general story line, I think. They are just different. :teehee: And unfortunately, we don't have Mixed Magics. :aah: My mother once didn't buy it because she had read two of the stories somewhere else. But I think I might go and ask for it in a second hand bookstore. We've got like 5 or 6 of them in one street, just round the corner from my house. :naughty:

And by the way, I think your English is really good.

I did that with one author. I got one book in a series by Jonathon Kellerman and I loved it, then when I got another one I ended up getting the whole lot.

Dostoyevsky and all the Russian authors always have an hard time with me.

I don't know why, I don't get involved in their stories.

it's like...they're cold or something.

But someday, I need to challenge myself and read something like "War and Peace" and then I'll probably change my mind.

p.s. currently reading Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia"... is really a good book. I like Orwell's way of writing and this book is really a vivid portrait of Spain during the civil war.

Maybe you should try with "Anna Karenynna" before "War and Peace"?:wink2:

I'm professionally into books but when I was in Highschool "War and Peace" was pretty boring to me due to Tolstoy's extensive description of the war.:aah::naughty:

I loved Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Hardy...

I love Hardy's way of writing and the book is a good mixture between clichès and innovation ( for the 19th century, of course!)

That is a great book.

Yes, and I also love Polansky's film and two English TV serials.:wub2:

• 1 month later...

I've just finished Kate Atkinson; "Came early, took my dog"

It was really exciting, I like when the story slowly folds up, and new pieces and clues are added all he time.

Another book (I haven't read it yet)

I watched one Oprah episode where her guest was Ricky Martin, I didn't know much about him prior to that but he seemed like an interesting person so I've just bought his autobiography "Me." I hope it's good!

The Backdoor To Enlightenment

It's kind of a self-help book mixed with a mystery story. It's not just for Buddhists or people who only like self help books. Its got a sort of tresure hunt in it. As the story unfolds so too does the book reveal "secrets" to living a happy, more fulfilled life.

I've just finished Kate Atkinson; "Came early, took my dog"

It was really exciting, I like when the story slowly folds up, and new pieces and clues are added all he time.

Sounds interesting! I have read only her first novel (Behind the Scenes at the Museum), years ago. I'm just starting Blueeyedboy by Joanne Harris. I usually like her books.

I'm reading " Never Let me go " ,a book from Kazuo Ishiguro.

Yes, the movie is in the cinema now, and before I go to see it, I want to read it.

I find it very good . This is the trailer from the movie :

Oh I've read it and later I watched the film.

Please let me know your thoughts about them both!:thumb_yello:

Oh I've read it and later I watched the film.

Please let me know your thoughts about them both!:thumb_yello:

Ok, I will tell you :biggrin2:

Is the movie as good as the book :) ?

( Don't care about all the mistakes that I made in english please :s )

• 1 month later...
I'm reading " Never Let me go " ,a book from Kazuo Ishiguro.

Yes, the movie is in the cinema now, and before I go to see it, I want to read it.

I find it very good . This is the trailer from the movie :

I have watch the film like a month ago and I really loved it. Now Im looking for the book, but seems like an impossible to find it here...

Rereading The Stranger by Albert Camus.

I love all the absurd and melancholy things that he successfully wrote.

I read that one years ago, for highschool, one of those few I really enjoyed reading and loved a lot :wub2:

I have watch the film like a month ago and I really loved it. Now Im looking for the book, but seems like an impossible to find it here...

I read that one years ago, for highschool, one of those few I really enjoyed reading and loved a lot :wub2:

Yes, you right.

First time I read it, I was speechless.

I adore his philosophy of Sisyphus. In absurd of life, struggle is the best way. Even the struggle is nothing

Am reading "Life" of Keith Richards of the Roling Stones, an autobiography.

He writes like he's sitting next to you, telling the story of his life. Love it! Eventhough I've never been a real Roling Stones fan. I like many songs of them, but am not a die-hard RS fan. Still fun reading this book! :biggrin2: