Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't usually read plays.

Isn't Equus about a boy who falls in love with a horse:blink:

I don't either but we had to read both of them for my english class last year and they were amazing :wub2:

Well...I guess you can put it that way. Generally yes, but it does have a much deeper meaning than that and it sent me into a bit of a depression because I began questioning my thoughs of going into psychology at a time that was a little late to change my mind about the future. I loved it tho :wub2:

I don't either but we had to read both of them for my english class last year and they were amazing :wub2:

Well...I guess you can put it that way. Generally yes, but it does have a much deeper meaning than that and it sent me into a bit of a depression because I began questioning my thoughs of going into psychology at a time that was a little late to change my mind about the future. I loved it tho :wub2:

I never read those for my English class, wish we would of though:naughty:

I never read those for my English class, wish we would of though:naughty:

I advise reading them on your own then. W;t is about a woman (a real hardass, if you'll forgive the term) who end up with cancer and realizes that she never really lived her life and suddenly it's too late.

Of course in class we picked apart each word and the symbolism of different parts and that made quite a difference I'm sure. But it was really good :wub2:

I advise reading them on your own then. W;t is about a woman (a real hardass, if you'll forgive the term) who end up with cancer and realizes that she never really lived her life and suddenly it's too late.

Of course in class we picked apart each word and the symbolism of different parts and that made quite a difference I'm sure. But it was really good :wub2:

WOW:shocked:

I'm going to have to read that!

Of course, only in english:roftl:

• 1 month later...

Today I finished reading "Go Ask Alice" (recommendation by Brianna akak foalbaby14). I have to say, it was pretty good and a very easy read. The part (more towards the end) when she eats the drug laced chocolate covered peanut and then hurts herself (bangs her head, scratches etc) made me so sad. Basically the ending of the book made me sad. :emot-sad:

I'm reading the new Grisham, The Associate. It's really good.

In The Associate, Grisham once again provides the kind of legal suspense novel that made him famous. This time the protagonist is Kyle McAvoy, who is forced to take a job as an associate in a top law firm after he is blackmailed with a secret from his past. In his job, he has to lie, cheat, steal and risk his life. The Associate is reminiscent of Grisham's first major bestseller, The Firm.

Am reading Wuthering Heights now. :original: I don't really know whether I like it or not, I've just read a few pages. :teehee:

I have read Thursday's Children for the 4th time yesterday, and I really love it. It's about a boy, Doone Penny, and he wants to be a ballet dancer, but his sister, Christal Penny wants that as well, and their mother doesn't want Doone to be a dancer.. That doesn't sound that special, but I really love the book.

Edited by Shikutukumimika

• 4 weeks later...
Today I finished reading "Go Ask Alice" (recommendation by Brianna akak foalbaby14). I have to say, it was pretty good and a very easy read. The part (more towards the end) when she eats the drug laced chocolate covered peanut and then hurts herself (bangs her head, scratches etc) made me so sad. Basically the ending of the book made me sad. :emot-sad:

Yay! You finished it:biggrin2:

OMG that part is so sad:tears:, that just shows what drugs can do to your life:no:

It's on of my all time favorite books:wub2:

I've read 3 books since the start of March...

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" - Stieg Larsson

"The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" - Stieg Larsson

"Hunger" - Michael Grant

The two Stieg Larsson books are part of the Millennuim trilogy and are great! Full of plot twists! The author spends a lot of time at hte start of the book (basically 1/3 of hte book) setting the scene, and once that's done, it's all action and doesn't really stop! The first book is called "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".

Hunger is the 2nd book by Michael Grant. The first one is called Gone. Basically what happens is that everyone over 15 has disappeared, and a kid called Sam has been put in charge to look after everyone. It is a little violent in places, but it's a very interesting read!

I was going to read Thoreau's Walden but when I started it, even though I instantly loved him and found some amazing words of wisdom, I realized my brain wasn't willing to read that right now. So I picked up an easier read. Stephen King's It :biggrin2:

I just started it but I realized that King may have a sense of himor that I hadn't noticed when I read some of his other books. I'm tempted to go back and read them to see. It's a very sarcastic, kinda dark humor. Which I love. But, he must be pretty humorous in general, I mean, look at the books he writes. They're riduculous! Same with the movies. They're really rather stupid :lol3: But I love him for that. For not really wanting to be taken seriously.

I was going to read Thoreau's Walden but when I started it, even though I instantly loved him and found some amazing words of wisdom, I realized my brain wasn't willing to read that right now. So I picked up an easier read. Stephen King's It.

Yeah, there is a slight difference between the two :teehee:

I just relate to what you said. I tried Walden at various times in my life. My husband and I even went to Walden, but I couldn't read it.

I also tried to read House of Seven Gables just doesn't happen for me.

I wonder if I try again if it would work out different.

I fell in love Gogol when I was a teen. That set me up for Russian authors.

Recently, Bill Mayers New Rules for in bed reading. Otherwise I have been pondering my next book a lot lately so I may read back and see what suggestions strike me.

Yeah, there is a slight difference between the two :teehee:

I just relate to what you said. I tried Walden at various times in my life. My husband and I even went to Walden, but I couldn't read it.

I also tried to read House of Seven Gables just doesn't happen for me.

I wonder if I try again if it would work out different.

I fell in love Gogol when I was a teen. That set me up for Russian authors.

Recently, Bill Mayers New Rules for in bed reading. Otherwise I have been pondering my next book a lot lately so I may read back and see what suggestions strike me.

Just a little :naughty:

I thinkI might be able to read it some time but I had just finished Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar which kinda took a mental toll on me. Not by way of it was a hard book to read, quite the oppisite: I couldn't put it down and I breezed through it in a few days, but it was a very...strongly written book. One I really realted to and got sucked into and it left me feeling kinda empty when I finished it.

I picked up Walden cause I've been wanting to read it for a while (and I like to walk around with an impressive book in my hand :teehee:) But it was just too much stress on my brain right now.

You WENT to Walden? :shocked: Was it beautiful? :wub2:

It might be worth a try. I often pick up books I tried to read before and hated when I was younger only to love them now. It seems like they can be appreciated differently at different times in one's life.

Just a little :naughty:

I thinkI might be able to read it some time but I had just finished Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar which kinda took a mental toll on me. Not by way of it was a hard book to read, quite the oppisite: I couldn't put it down and I breezed through it in a few days, but it was a very...strongly written book. One I really realted to and got sucked into and it left me feeling kinda empty when I finished it.

I picked up Walden cause I've been wanting to read it for a while (and I like to walk around with an impressive book in my hand :teehee:) But it was just too much stress on my brain right now.

You WENT to Walden? :shocked: Was it beautiful? :wub2:

It might be worth a try. I often pick up books I tried to read before and hated when I was younger only to love them now. It seems like they can be appreciated differently at different times in one's life.

The Bell Jar is pretty intense. I actually have a collection of books about break downs. The Yellow Wallpaper, The Snake Pit, The Shutter of Snow, The Quiet Room and some others I can't bring to mind right now.

I usually go for John Saul after a intense read.

Oh wow...what a wonderful thread!

Reading is one of the things that makes me what I am (a crazy girl! LoL).

I love my books and I have a special relationship with each one of them. :fangurl:

Uhm...my favourite one? WUTHERING HEIGHTS.

It changed my life,and it's always the first in the book shelf, I always have to "caress" it and to read a few pages again.

Mmm...currently I am reading "On the Road" by Kerouak...and it's pretty amazing too.

Beat generation in its pure essence. Admirably written and it really catches you attention.

I'm curious to finish it :)