Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

Am reading Wuthering Heights now. :original: I don't really know whether I like it or not, I've just read a few pages. :teehee:

I have read Thursday's Children for the 4th time yesterday, and I really love it. It's about a boy, Doone Penny, and he wants to be a ballet dancer, but his sister, Christal Penny wants that as well, and their mother doesn't want Doone to be a dancer.. That doesn't sound that special, but I really love the book.

I've read 30 or 40 pages I think.. :teehee: I don't get the whole story. :teehee:

the story is not that easy to get until you reach the 2nd or 3rd chapter.

I was totally fascinated by Heathcliff's character, which is one of the best ever written.

Let me now if you managed to read some more pages! :thumb_yello:

Two days ago I started to read "The lovely bones" because I loved the movie and I was curious about the book, but you know, so far I think book is a bit better :naughty:

Books are always better than the movie :naughty:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody in this thread - sorry can't remember who- recommended "the know it all " by A.J. Jacobs, I'm reading it now and I love it! its really funny and I like all the little facts :biggrin2: so thank you to who recommended it!

The Bell Jar is pretty intense. I actually have a collection of books about break downs. The Yellow Wallpaper, The Snake Pit, The Shutter of Snow, The Quiet Room and some others I can't bring to mind right now.

I usually go for John Saul after a intense read.

Oh! YAY! *adds books to list*

I LOVE books about break downs and insanity in general! I'm definitely going to have to read these. Have you read Girl Interrupted? I thought that was a pretty amazing book too! :aah:

Somebody in this thread - sorry can't remember who- recommended "the know it all " by A.J. Jacobs, I'm reading it now and I love it! its really funny and I like all the little facts :biggrin2: so thank you to who recommended it!

That would be me. :bleh: I'm glad you like it! :D

Pretty easy read, yeah?

Oh wow...what a wonderful thread!

Reading is one of the things that makes me what I am (a crazy girl! LoL).

I love my books and I have a special relationship with each one of them. :fangurl:

Uhm...my favourite one? WUTHERING HEIGHTS.

It changed my life,and it's always the first in the book shelf, I always have to "caress" it and to read a few pages again.

Mmm...currently I am reading "On the Road" by Kerouak...and it's pretty amazing too.

Beat generation in its pure essence. Admirably written and it really catches you attention.

I'm curious to finish it :)

I loved Wuthering heights too! But I thought it was really depressing in the middle when Cathy died.....have you tried 'Jane Eyre'? It is really good...I started reading it at a friend's recommendation...I found the beginning a bit boring so I skipped to the middle :teehee: where the protagonists meet hehe...and I was hooked :shocked: it is one of those books that get you...I still read bits of it every now and then...it's the most unconventional love story in classic literature...highly recommended...

I loved Wuthering heights too! But I thought it was really depressing in the middle when Cathy died.....have you tried 'Jane Eyre'? It is really good...I started reading it at a friend's recommendation...I found the beginning a bit boring so I skipped to the middle :teehee: where the protagonists meet hehe...and I was hooked :shocked: it is one of those books that get you...I still read bits of it every now and then...it's the most unconventional love story in classic literature...highly recommended...

Uhoh! thanks for that :thumb_yello:

I started once to read it but I was totally stopped by the first 20 pages..but I guess I'll follow your advice.

Oh, and another higl recommended book is LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER...

I can just say :shocked: :shocked:

Maybe because I love D.H. Lawrence ( Sons and Lovers is a masterpiece), maybe because I love the descriptions of England's landscapes, or maybe because the story is extremely well developped, but this book is a treasure everyone should discover once in a lifetime.:wink2:

Uhoh! thanks for that :thumb_yello:

I started once to read it but I was totally stopped by the first 20 pages..but I guess I'll follow your advice.

Oh, and another higl recommended book is LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER...

I can just say :shocked: :shocked:

Maybe because I love D.H. Lawrence ( Sons and Lovers is a masterpiece), maybe because I love the descriptions of England's landscapes, or maybe because the story is extremely well developped, but this book is a treasure everyone should discover once in a lifetime.:wink2:

I've heard of 'Lady Chatterley's lover'. and 'Sons and lovers'..will try it...thx for the recommendations!...haha yea Jane Eyre was quite boring at the beginning but in the chapter where Jane meets Mr. Rochester...things start to get exciting:thumb_yello:

I've heard of 'Lady Chatterley's lover'. and 'Sons and lovers'..will try it...thx for the recommendations!...haha yea Jane Eyre was quite boring at the beginning but in the chapter where Jane meets Mr. Rochester...things start to get exciting:thumb_yello:

I just picked Jane Eyre from the shelf! :D

I've just read The best little girl in the world by Steven Levenkron. It is the best book about anorexia I have ever read. I love his writing style. He doesn't just tell what happened, but he also lives in the story. He writes like he feels the pain, the happinesses, the tears and everything else together with the characters. Am going to read The luckiest girl in the world too.

I'm reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath right now, I quite like it. Thanks to whoever was talking about it when I was looking for something to read.

• 2 months later...

k, i know there is something up now a days, its like the age of the vampires or whatever, but, i was looking for another novel to read after i finished all the harry potters. i tried reading the twilight novels but.. i couldnt get past the 3rd one.. it kind bored me. (sorry if you like twilight) so.. i waited, hoping to find a good story. and then i did. VAMPIRE ACADEMY!!! by richelle mead.

if you have never heard or read the books you should. they are really good. and i was hook when i read the first chapter. she has 5 of them out and is working on the 6th.

it does have a love story to it, but it goes beond that, there is a strong friendship bond. and its about this girl's journey in her life.

i really like them and i wanted to share my love for them with all of you

so check it out if you want.

thanks for listening if you read it :thumb_yello:

I'm reading, like, 10 books right now. And, yes, I can follow all of the story lines at once. It's just how my brain works.

Anywho, my favorite out of them is She's Come Undone. It's got it's depressing moments but for some reason I just can't put it down!

Also, Inkspell just flat out rocks! It's the second in a series but once you start reading about Dustfinger you'll wonder why this guy only exists in a book within a book. (I think they messed up the movie, cuz they tried to fit all the books into it. . . ) Plus, it's just an amazing adventure that they go on, it takes reading to a whole new level! When I first read it I started reading aloud because I wanted to see if I could bring something out of the book like Silvertounge! It really is an amazing book. :D

I've been reading "No One Here Gets Out Alive" (a Jim Morrison biography) and I must say it's an excellent book - I went through over half of it in practically no time at all. I don't think it will take me much longer to finish it!

After that I have a number of autobiographies/biographies to sink my teeth into! :wub2:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm such a book reader! I LOVE reading!! I can read like probably 100 books a year if I get my hands on that many :biggrin2: Lets see this year I've so far read all of Jane Austin's books.. love those!! a few random books can't remember the authors or titles :blink: errrmm... the vampire diaries series.. still prefer twilights series.. uhh I read the Host a book by Stephenie Meyer... you get the picture.

I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera now.. I wanted to read it in English, but my library only had the Dutch version.. So I'm reading it in Dutch. I wanted to read it after I'd seen the movie, which I wanted to see after I read a story in which it came up. :aah: I'm not that far, but I love it so far. :biggrin2:

i use to love reading but i hardly read anymore =/ and now my english levels have gone down so badly :sneaky2:

i wanna start reading again but i always start reading a book but never end up finishing it :boxed:

anyone recommend anything? something that isnt too long and is fun, and funny?