REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA LA Surprise Show 04-15-09

Blue Sky

I always find that my voice sounds SO stupid when I watch these videos afterwards :thumbdown:. And I also just say whatever comes to my mind on those occasions and then later feel like an idiot :naughty:

I love the excited voice - it's on so many of the vids and it's you.

I have just spent a happy morning following all the links and finding things I hadn't seen before. Lovely.

Thanks to everyone who went for sharing this with us :wub2:

And it's only half past 9, I could watch them all over again.:roftl:

I haven't actually noticed a difference in his pronunciation of "thought" - I'll have to keep an eye (ear?) out for that one.

One I have noticed is his pronunciation of "water" - even when singing, like in Billy Brown. Sometimes it's a very British "waugh-ter". Other times it's a very American "wadder."

I took a linguistics class, and since then accents have fascinated me. And Mika's such a good subject to study with his peculiar, dynamic "airport accent." :wink2:

I went back to the... 70 ? 80 ? recordings I have of BB and couldn't really hear the 'wadder' versus 'waughter' that you mentioned in your latest post, as it is most of the time covered up by the chorists or altered by his own very high pitched voice.

But I did try and pick up in several interviews the US alteration of some 't' sounds and couldn't find any.

A beautiful example of his very posh British accent is at the CBS studios.

While Jason Bellini speaks as if his mouth were full of porridge :naughty: Mica speaks beautiful BBC English. For instance when JB asks him about his 'idendidy' he answers about his 'identity' .

That would go against what I wrote before, ie that he is flexible, a bit of a chameleon, and takes on the accent of the people he is with but on that day he was so untypically defensive and tense that he may have, unconsciously, been trying to distance himself from JB :wink2: .

Anyway, and isn't that the most important thing, he always manages to spoil us with a few 'baaah' for 'but' or 'bi' for 'bit' :wub2: .

Thank you, Sire :huglove: !

Cheers,

Id3

You're very welcome :)

Yeah, now that I look back on it we were really close:shocked:

And if you're wondering why I'm laughing in basically all of the videos, it's Sara's fault :naughty:

Okay, what did she do to you!:sneaky2:

Just kidding…:naughty:

I second that. The first live performance of this song is not complete without fans' reactions. I absolutely love it

Oh yes!

Of course I’m looking forward to listen to the album versions but I wouldn’t want to be without this experience, hearing them fresh and new from the man on stage, on the shaky video clips, follow his facial expression when he’s singing the songs for the first time in front of an audience, together trying to figure out what on earth he’s singing and…you know what I mean!:blush-anim-cl::wub2:

I went back to the... 70 ? 80 ? recordings I have of BB and couldn't really hear the 'wadder' versus 'waughter' that you mentioned in your latest post, as it is most of the time covered up by the chorists or altered by his own very high pitched voice.

But I did try and pick up in several interviews the US alteration of some 't' sounds and couldn't find any.

A beautiful example of his very posh British accent is at the CBS studios.

While Jason Bellini speaks as if his mouth were full of porridge :naughty: Mica speaks beautiful BBC English. For instance when JB asks him about his 'idendidy' he answers about his 'identity' .

That would go against what I wrote before, ie that he is flexible, a bit of a chameleon, and takes on the accent of the people he is with but on that day he was so untypically defensive and tense that he may have, unconsciously, been trying to distance himself from JB :wink2: .

Anyway, and isn't that the most important thing, he always manages to spoil us with a few 'baaah' for 'but' or 'bi' for 'bit' :wub2: .

Thank you, Sire :huglove: !

Cheers,

Id3

:roftl:

Playing analyst, are we????:naughty:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Actually, I think you have a point there! He was very defensive poor guy.:wub2:

Linguistics are interesting, most of the time you can hear from where a person is coming and to me it is a challenge to even in my own city trying to do that guessing.

Sometime it’s unbelievable how really small differences reveals where a person has grown up and in what circles they have got their language.

Have you visited the Freddies English course thread?

:roftl:

Playing analyst, are we????:naughty:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Actually, I think you have a point there! He was very defensive poor guy.:wub2:

Linguistics are interesting, most of the time you can hear from where a person is coming and to me it is a challenge to even in my own city trying to do that guessing.

Sometime it’s unbelievable how really small differences reveals where a person has grown up and in what circles they have got their language.

Have you visited the Freddies English course thread?

Guilty as charged, Your Honour :blush-anim-cl: ...

I must say Sire looking and sounding like a field mouse trapped in a town house instead of being his usual Tiger-like self was absolutely f...ascinating !

And in spite of the porridge in the mouth accent, Jason Bellini was a formidable interviewer or should I say cat in the town house :wink2: ? Same difference anyway :naughty: .

Nope.

Cheers,

Id3

thank you christine!! i had never seen your videos as they were down before i had a chance. they are so clear!

i love his voice.:wub2:

i also :wub2: the little smiles he makes when he sees that the fans are responding/singing back to his new songs!

i also :wub2: the little smiles he makes when he sees that the fans are responding/singing back to his new songs!

Yeah it was really something the way everyone started singing Blame it on the Girls with virtually no prompting from him.

They are top quality :thumb_yello: !

I was wondering... how long will it take for a new MFC to choose Toy Boy as an alias :wink2: ?

Cheers,

Id3

Yeah, now that I look back on it we were really close

We WERE!!!! :shocked: We were perched onto the stage, which was so tiny that Mika could hardly fit all his stuff on. Shocking. This was definitely the dream "livingroom gig" :wub2:.

And if you're wondering why I'm laughing in basically all of the videos, it's Sara's fault

Oi! What are you accusing me of this time, Missy? :naughty: I behaved quite well that night, heheee

I have a question. Well, a question and a request actually...

First how on earth do you manage to stay 10 to 12 hours in front of a theatre on the day of a gig ?

I don't mean that you would get bored, I could settle down for a week if I had a couple of good books with me. But how do you answer calls of nature ? At some concerts people just do it where they are ... don't tell me you did !

It's the worst part of queuing for such ridiculous lengths of time. We had to sneak into a nearby pub, but when they copped onto the fact that all of us were doing the same thing, they told us that the toilets were for customers only. I am thinking very seriously that for future gigs, instead of popcorn making machines and icecream vans and whatnot, Mika actually rents us a portaloo :roftl:.

And this is a serious suggestion, I am dead serious here. It's always a big problem.

Second, could somebody comment the picture or the gang of fans with Mica taken after the gig, put a name on each face ? Not every MFCer know who is who ...

Cheers,

Id3

I will try, but truth is, I get a bit confused with the screen names of the couple of mfc'ers who I met in LA, as I am remembering them by their real name, so I will skip those.

From left to right:

Back row:

Christine, Sivan, Mika, Vanessa, LA Fashionista, ? , lovemepls

Middle row:

sariflor, CharlotteChristy, daydreambeliever, Fmbm (with glasses), lollipop_monkey

Front row:

Standard toaster

Ok so it looks like there is only one that I'm not sure of, that is ok then. I remember her but for some reason her name now escapes me!!! Sorry guys but it was a good number of new faces and I had had no sleep for a few days, I am sure that I can be excused :naughty:.

I love the excited voice - it's on so many of the vids and it's you.

I have just spent a happy morning following all the links and finding things I hadn't seen before. Lovely.

Thanks to everyone who went for sharing this with us

And it's only half past 9, I could watch them all over again.

Well, I'm glad that I didn't spoil the experience then :naughty:

i also love the little smiles he makes when he sees that the fans are responding/singing back to his new songs!

Yes, that is one of the most endearing things to me as well, his reaction of happiness when he sees how well the new songs are being received.

I am convinced that when he started the first one and he said "ooh, a new song, everyone's now thinking 'will it be crap'?", he actually WAS worried about people thinking that.

So when he saw that we loved them, he was ecstatic. That was adorable to see first hand, and also especially as we were the ones providing the feedback. I was conscious of the fact that I was just standing there, grinning like a fool, and with this super warm feeling inside that was no doubt written all over my face. Sad, I know :naughty:, but hey.

He says, "Everyone’s like, ‘it’s new, is it going to be crap?’ Noooooooooooo (talk to the hand)"

I love it.....

and I love

“This is one of the ones; it’s called Toy Boy: no-one’s heard, and it’s in A?

I like the singing but I just don’t……what?

You have to be quiet; it’s all about the words, sorry to be a dick!”

Thanks for sweet videos, Christine!

In my opinion I have postconcert depression. I look out for all video from this concert. I write down and look one after another continuously. Also I listen to them in mp3, when I in the street or on work.

I do not have not enough 4 more pieces... your videos sariflor, I have fallen in love at first sight

So when he saw that we loved them, he was ecstatic. That was adorable to see first hand, and also especially as we were the ones providing the feedback. I was conscious of the fact that I was just standing there, grinning like a fool, and with this super warm feeling inside that was no doubt written all over my face. Sad, I know :naughty:, but hey.

You know, this is one area where I have to be careful not to take a holier-than-thou approach to MFCers versus non-MFCers.

I can't help but love the fact that the front row was filled with the most dedicated fans, people who REALLY wanted to be there, who were hanging onto his every note. Not the "regular" people a few rows back who were chattering through Toy Boy. :mad3:

Was it you screaming Relax! Sariflor? By the look on his face, he seemed to think it a good idea- I'm optimistic

It was me, yes...a few times :blush-anim-cl::roftl:. I keep going: "we want Relaaaax!!!" Oh god :naughty:.

Later at the meet & g I said that he should habe done Relax, and he replied that he wanted to do it, and that was why he was sitting there, but that he couldn't remember the chords so he would embarrass himself, hence why he did GK instead. Sigh.

In my opinion I have postconcert depression. I look out for all video from this concert. I write down and look one after another continuously. Also I listen to them in mp3, when I in the street or on work.

I do not have not enough 4 more pieces... your videos sariflor, I have fallen in love at first sight

I have the same disease, Lena: I listen to the mp3's on my way to work and watch the videos at home :mf_lustslow:

From left to right:

Back row:

Christine, Sivan, Mika, Vanessa, LA Fashionista, ? , lovemepls

Middle row:

sariflor, CharlotteChristy, daydreambeliever, Fmbm (with glasses), lollipop_monkey

Front row:

Standard toaster

Ok so it looks like there is only one that I'm not sure of, that is ok then. I remember her but for some reason her name now escapes me!!! Sorry guys but it was a good number of new faces and I had had no sleep for a few days, I am sure that I can be excused :naughty:.

Can it be Jemappelle or Cynthia as we called her back in the days?:wink2:

You know, this is one area where I have to be careful not to take a holier-than-thou approach to MFCers versus non-MFCers.

I can't help but love the fact that the front row was filled with the most dedicated fans, people who REALLY wanted to be there, who were hanging onto his every note. Not the "regular" people a few rows back who were chattering through Toy Boy. :mad3:

They were chattering through all the songs, you can hear it very clearly on the mp3 recordings and it is so sad!

How can anyone do that?:sneaky2:

Was it irritating when you were there or didn't you hear it then?

I have the same disease, Lena: I listen to the mp3's on my way to work and watch the videos at home :mf_lustslow:

You too converted video of the same songs several times, but different records it seemed, what them is a lot ?I like your video sariflor..MVI 2271 BIOTG ( and otheeeers) hmhm:crybaby::crybaby:

Yes, that is one of the most endearing things to me as well, his reaction of happiness when he sees how well the new songs are being received.

I am convinced that when he started the first one and he said "ooh, a new song, everyone's now thinking 'will it be crap'?", he actually WAS worried about people thinking that.

you can see that he is happy to see the smiles on people's face. and then he can enjoy singing it

i know... i could hear them talking as well. how rude!!

maybe they were just happy to get free tickets:sneaky2:

and I love

“This is one of the ones; it’s called Toy Boy: no-one’s heard, and it’s in A?

I like the singing but I just don’t……what?

You have to be quiet; it’s all about the words, sorry to be a dick!”

He says "I like this song a lot, but I just don't remember..."

I think he was just trying to excuse himself for not being sure what key it was in.

I am not in depression yet, still on a high. I have only just started listening to Blue Eyes today because I've been focused on Blame it on the Girls and Toy Boy so far.

Thanks Christine! Awesomeness. Mika is awesomeness. :wub2:

I'm still so thrilled that you all made the most of this occassion and shared your experiences, vids and pics. Awesomeness. *sigh*