Mika in the spanish press (Journalist meeting on Friday 8 May)

Queenie

Thanks for these articles :wink2:

Can't wait to hear those songs.... hmmm so exciting ! :mf_lustslow::mf_lustslow:

For the ones who want to know, for this Bordeaux mystery gig : someone called the theatre and this gig has been canceled.

Maybe it happened the same for the Dubin one....

That's interesting, T4P:wink2:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

Two more articles:

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/467796/0/mika/disco/ep/

(says nothing new)

http://www.los40.com/articulo/noticias/Mika-aterriza-Madrid-presentarnos-nuevo-album/l40actn01/20090511l40l40not_2/Tes

(this one is interesting :wink2:)

I'm so sorry, but I don't think I'm able to translate them properly. If anyone could... :blush-anim-cl:

Some news, please some spanish native could translate it???

I see you es una balada etérea con piano y cuerdas, en que el artista ha rememorado lo que se siente al tener quince años, estar enamorado de alguien y quedarse embobado mirándole sin atreverte a confesarle tus sentimientos. Touches you es un tema funky que recuerda a Prince, con un estribillo irresistible: "Quiero ser tu hermano, tu hermana, tu padre, tu suéter, quiero ser aquello que te toca". Good gone girl se abre como una canción de cabaret que acaba resolviéndose en un pop luminoso con ecos de los Beach Boys. Por último, pudimos escuchar el tema que cerrará el álbum, una balada jazzística en que la voz de Mika, sentado al piano, parece transmutarse en la de la cantante Billie Holiday. ???

I see you is an ethereal ballad with piano and strings, in which the artist remembers what is like to be fifteen years old, to be in love with someone and to stare at them with loving eyes without daring to confess your feelings. Touches you is a funky song that reminds of Prince, with an irresistible chorus: "I want to be your brother, your sister, your father, your sweater, I want to be what touches you". Good gone girl opens like a cabaret song that ends up with a luminous pop with echoes of Beach Boys. Finally, we could listen to the song that will close the album, a jazz ballad in wich the voice of Mika, sat at the piano, seems to be transformed into the voice singer Billie Holiday.???

I hope it's ok, I didn't realize translating was so difficult!:boxed:

I see you is an ethereal ballad with piano and strings, in which the artist remembers what is like to be fifteen years old, to be in love with someone and to stare at them with loving eyes without daring to confess your feelings. Touches you is a funky song that reminds of Prince, with an irresistible chorus: "I want to be your brother, your sister, your father, your sweater, I want to be what touches you". Good gone girl opens like a cabaret song that ends up with a luminous pop with echoes of Beach Boys. Finally, we could listen to the song that will close the album, a jazz ballad in wich the voice of Mika, sat at the piano, seems to be transformed into the voice singer Billie Holiday.???

:thumb_yello: Thank you :)

Now we know what Mika was doing last Friday. He had a meeting with a few journalists (20 people) to talk to them in a meeting about his EP, his tour & his album. Here you have an article in "El Mundo" newspaper. There a few more, but it´s the only i´ve translated at the moment (sorry for the mistakes. i did it in a hurry xD)

Enjoy! :thumb_yello:

1241942532_0.jpg

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2009/05/10/cultura/1241942532.html

Mika faces his 2nd album

His optimism & pretending "naif" sound convinced 5 millions of people who bought his debut album in 2007. And many more who danced & shared drinks with him & Grace Kelly herself. Mika, british with lebanese origins, is confronting the challenge to face the public after his great success. Pressure? Of course.

Tall & very thin, with hat, garish colours & constant friendliness, Mika (Beirut, 1983), has showed in a record studio in Madrid, control remote in hand, some of his songs for his 2nd album, which will be released this autumn, recorded between London & Los Angeles. A crisis antidote that, miraclously & maybe for a few minutes, dye the darkest expectations in bubblegum pink shade.

"The idea was to reflect my teenage years, between 15 & 18, more or less", he explains sip after sip of his Mahou (Queenie´s Notewell done Mika. Great spanish beer xDD), with the charming naturalness among unknown people judging his songs. With the first album -"Life in Cartoon Motion"- he achieved a Brit & a Grammy nomination- was the soundtrack of his childhood.

In the seven songs that he shows, he talks about school desk love never confessed the other one, and the horrific jealousy that you can only feel when the hormones don´t agree among themselves. Happy sounds (so much that, one of the songs finds the inspiration directly from California by The Beach Boys) and a retro ballad too you can´t understand without his listless piano and a lot of rocks on your whisky.

Meanwhile, this former contratenor (his falseto comes from there), pampers his side project: a curious acoustic EP in limited edition with 4 songs ('Blue Eyes', 'Toy Boy', 'Lonely Alcoholic' y 'Lady Jane'), based "in ridicilous & dark fairytales" and called "Song for Sorrow", overcoming the inicial blocking to compose his official 2nd work.

The album will be accompanied with a luxurious hard cover book with illustrations, between childish & gore, where his favourite creators give their vision about the stories that Mika suggests: from the designer Paul Smith, in which stores the EP will be released & in this artist´s webpage, to the photographer David Mackie, the cartoonist Al Columbia or the pop painter Peter Blake, designer of the unforgettable "Sgt Pepper´s" (1967) cover for The Beatles.

The album-book will be purchased from May 25. The ones who don´t want to wait to the physical format, can download the four songs starting this Thursday on his website. In June, Mika will make an acoustic tour starting in Berlin on June 1, making stops in Amsterdam, Brussels, Milan, London, Bordeux (France) (Queenie´s Note: ???) & ending in Paris on June 12.

Another one!!

http://jenesaispop.com/2009/05/09/mika-presenta-su-disco-personalmente-a-la-prensa/

Mika launches his album in person to the press

Mika is making a small tour in 7 european cities where he plays himself his new record for the press. Madrid stop has been on May 8. 20 journalists were invited to a small studio where Mika, remote control in hand, showed 8 songs of his new record, releasing this Autumn. Before this, he will release "Songs For Sorrow", a limited edition EP with a luxury design with the collaborations of Owen Pallett, having a shared song in the album "Toy Boy"

Mika explained that if "Life In Cartoon Motion" was an album about his childhood, from 6 to 11 years, this is about "the turbelence age", from 15 to 18. Something that reflects in some of the lyrics, like "We Are Golden", a lively song that seems to talk about supporting someone, or "I See You", a song that he introduced as "the first time you like someone but you don´t tell, but at least, you look at...". "Touches You" talks about jealousy,for the first love or for a sweater, and "Blame It On The Girls", apparently, talks about "escurrir el bulto" (Queenie´s note: According to a translator, dodging the issue).

The record´s song is clearly pop & continuist from the 1st album. "I see you" is a big ballad & "Touches You" has a darkest shade. The first single could be "Blame It On The Girls", because it´s full of claps & sticky rhythms, or "We Are Golden", having teenage chords clearly identical by "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" by Belinda Carlisle.

The song that probably will make in "2009 best songs" list will be the song that Mika thinks for the 2nd single, "Rain", the electro song á la "Relax·, with a powerful bridge that repeats "I hate days like these" & the chorus in falsetto. It ends with real rain sound. The album ends with a soundtrack style, musical style song, included as well in the EP, "Toy Boy", having a Disney movie sound, very different from the whole pop album & very interesting. There´s no doubt his clear influence with Kurt Well that he proclaims, & with Final Fantasy. The new EP book in limited edition will be released on May 25 and on his website on May 14.

After playing his tunes to the journalists, Mika shared drinks & canapés with the press, like he was one of us. He cares to talk with people, 3 or 4 people groups, sharing impressions about the album & anecdotes for a couple of hours. He talks about his several visits to Madrid, how much he loves Barcelona, even filled with tourists, and how hard it was to find a party area in Valencia. He also talks about his fanatism for Rufus Wainwright & his fear of knowing him, in case he disappoints him. Charming & smiling, Mika convinces everyone that the world with him is much much better. Doom, da da-di da-di doom. Da da da-di da-di.

THANK YOU for posting!!! :huglove:

Oh boy, I'm getting excited! :boing:

The more I hear of them, the more I'm loving the sounds of I See You, and Touches You:wub2:

Very good, but when are they going to stop comparing Mika to other people?????

I'll try to translate the other articles, but it won't be possible for a few hours. You know, that annoying thing called work :sneaky2:

That's okay, thanks for the translations so far:wink2:

Thanks! I think that's perfect :thumb_yello:

That sounds so interesting!! Thanks for translating! :huglove:

Ok work can wait:naughty:

I love this article.

From Los40.com

Part 1

Last week, we got a surprise invitation we could not reject: Mika was going to be in Madrid to present in exclusive his new cd to a select group of journalists. The date was Friday, the 8th at a hidden recording studio, and Los40.com was there to tell you everything.

After leaving at the door mobiles and recording devices, we were led to a room where Mika greeted us in person. Tall, very thin, with a hat and a perennial smile on his lips, the artist talked to us briefly about the details of his next two installments (?). To listen to his awaited second album it will be necessary to wait until September, but can open our appetite (*) with Songs of Sorrow, an acoustic EP with four songs in which the artist has wanted to change his register: as he told us, his desire was to write a collection of songs that were "dark fairy tales". Two of them are already on his web page, but we could listen a third, titled Toy boy, which twisted theme Mika explained to us, between laughs:" It's about a doll that is left by its owner, a child. His mother grabs it and decides to use it to do a voodoo to his husband, who has left her". Musically, the song is inspired by old Disney movies of the forties. Songs of sorrow will go on sale on May 29, in a limited edition that will include a book of illustrations inspired by the songs of the album, featuring diverse top artists.

*The spanish girls can correct me. Some are spanish expressions that I don't know how to translate

I love this article.

From Los40.com

Part 1

Last week, we got a surprise invitation we could not reject: Mika was going to be in Madrid to present in exclusive his new cd to a select group of journalists. The date was Friday, the 8th at a hidden recording studio, and Los40.com was there to tell you everything.

After leaving at the door mobiles and recording devices, we were led to a room where Mika greeted us in person. Tall, very thin, with a hat and a perennial smile on his lips, the artist talked to us briefly about the details of his next two installments (?). To listen to his awaited second album it will be necessary to wait until September, but can open our appetite (*) with Songs of Sorrow, an acoustic EP with four songs in which the artist has wanted to change his register: as he told us, his desire was to write a collection of songs that were "dark fairy tales". Two of them are already on his web page, but we could listen a third, titled Toy boy, which twisted theme Mika explained to us, between laughs:" It's about a doll that is left by its owner, a child. His mother grabs it and decides to use it to do a voodoo to his husband, who has left her". Musically, the song is inspired by old Disney movies of the forties. Songs of sorrow will go on sale on May 29, in a limited edition that will include a book of illustrations inspired by the songs of the album, featuring diverse top artists.

*The spanish girls can correct me. Some are spanish expressions that I don't know how to translate

That's very interesting! Thanks for the translation :)

Part 2:

After this beggining, time came to introduce what will be his next cd. According to the artist, his first cd dealt with his infancy, and this second album reflects his experiences, fears and hopes as a teenager. The style of the new album continues from Life in Cartoon Motion, with luminous, vitalist and very, very catchy tunes, but it is possible to appreciate a more mature composition. First we listen to Blame it on the girls, a song where the percussion is the protagonist, and in which Mika delights us with a piano solo of Latin vibe.

We are Golden, which is outlined as the first possible single, is a teenage anthem, with a boys choir singing proud:" We are not what you think we are". Then we listen to Rain, which is already confirmed as the second single, a song for the dance floors in the style of the well known Relax. I see you is an ethereal ballad with piano and strings, in which the artist remembers what it feels like to be fifteen years old, to be in love with someone and to stare with loving eyes without daring to confess your feelings . Touches you is a funky song that reminds us of Prince, with an irresistible chorus: "I want to be your brother, your sister, your father, your sweater, I want to be what touches you". Good gone girl opens like a cabaret song that ends in a luminous pop with echoes of Beach Boys. Finally, we could listen to the song that will close the album, a jazz ballad in which the voice of Mika, sat at the piano, seems to be transformed into that of singer Billie Holiday.

I love this article.

From Los40.com

Part 1

Part 2:

After this beggining, time came to introduce what will be his next cd. According to the artist, his first cd dealt with his infancy, and this second album reflects his experiences, fears and hopes as a teenager. The style of the new album continues from Life in Cartoon Motion, with luminous, vitalist and very, very catchy tunes, but it is possible to appreciate a more mature composition. First we listen to Blame it on the girls, a song where the percussion is the protagonist, and in which Mika delights us with a piano solo of Latin vibe.

We are Golden, which is outlined as the first possible single, is a teenage anthem, with a boys choir singing proud:" We are not what you think we are". Then we listen to Rain, which is already confirmed as the second single, a song for the dance floors in the style of the well known Relax. I see you is an ethereal ballad with piano and strings, in which the artist remembers what it feels like to be fifteen years old, to be in love with someone and to stare with loving eyes without daring to confess your feelings . Touches you is a funky song that reminds us of Prince, with an irresistible chorus: "I want to be your brother, your sister, your father, your sweater, I want to be what touches you". Good gone girl opens like a cabaret song that ends in a luminous pop with echoes of Beach Boys. Finally, we could listen to the song that will close the album, a jazz ballad in which the voice of Mika, sat at the piano, seems to be transformed into that of singer Billie Holiday.

You're my hero! Thanks so much for translating! :huglove::flowers2:

Part 3 and final:

After listening, we were led to an improvised bar in the study, where we had the opportunity to talk face to face to the artist. Mika had made clear that he was not interested in giving interviews, only to chat informally with the journalists and to exchange impressions. During the conversation, Mika spoke about the unique relationship he keeps with his fans via the web: "They are the reason of my success. They are very respectful with my private life, although, as they all know where I live, I always find someone camping in front of my house.":shocked: Also he told us that, when performing live, his nerves prevent him from enjoying the experience in its entirety: "I gave my best concerts when I was fifteen, in my bedroom, singing in my underwear in front of the the mirror":roftl:. Finally, before leaving to enjoy Madrid nightlife, Mika offered us a small reflection on his music:" Any feeling can serve as inspiration, also the negatives. Anger is an excellent engine (motor?) to write songs. But it is important not to transmit this negative attitude, the music must embrace the listener, not reject them.

Needless to say, the smilies are mine.:biggrin2:

I love this article.

From Los40.com

Part 1

Nice that he cleared up the Toy Boy theory.:thumb_yello:

Part 2:

I see you sounds so familiar:roftl:

For the rest it sounds really interesting.

Can't wait to hear everything.

Part 3 and final:

After listening, we were led to an improvised bar in the study, where we had the opportunity to talk face to face to the artist. Mika had made clear that he was not interested in giving interviews, only to chat informally with the journalists and to exchange impressions. During the conversation, Mika spoke about the unique relationship he keeps with his fans via the web: "They are the reason of my success. They are very respectful with my private life, although, as they all know where I live, I always find someone camping in front of my house.":shocked: Also he told us that, when performing live, his nerves prevent him from enjoying the experience in its entirety: "I gave my best concerts when I was fifteen, in my bedroom, singing in my underwear in front of the the mirror". Finally, before leaving to enjoy Madrid nightlife, Mika offered us a small reflection on his music:" Any feeling can serve as inspiration, also the negatives. Anger is an excellent engine (motor?) to write songs. But it is important not to transmit this negative attitude, the music must embrace the listener, not reject them.

:

:roftl:Especially love the mirror part

thx for these articles ..can't wait to have songs of sorrow in my ears ...

and can't wait to see him in paris now ..i'm sure his album is a great one ..can't wait too .:wink2: