The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

A little ray of hope, TBWKTM has actually gone up in the UK charts from 69 to 68 this week (I did say it was a little ray) :naughty:

Sad , this is really sad actually , why after so many great reviews :blink:

Album fault , managers fault ?

The dreaded 2nd album Im afraid , shame I thought he made a strong one

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad , this is really sad actually , why after so many great reviews :blink:

He did make a strong one ... he just needs more exposure ... I really hope TBWKTM does sell well for him ... it's still only two months .... :aah:

I just hope he's not too down about sales right now .... because he is amazing ... it just needs a kick .... :wub2: Maybe Rain will do it ... I really hope so :boing:

LOL Silver, your post made me giggle and cry at the same time... :aah:

I also don't understand why has the sale gone bad so fast... :boxed: He's been touring around the world so much,doing shows, radio shows,... And the reviews were fairly VERY GOOD too.

I think he chose a veerry goood moment to release his album, along with Tokio Hotel, Pixie Lott, Britney Spears, Cheryl Cole, Robbie Williams, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Barbra Streisand, Leona Lewis etc... :boxed:

Sigh :sad:

He did make a strong one ... he just needs more exposure ... I really hope TBWKTM does sell well for him ... it's still only two months .... :aah:

I think he's never had more promotion and exposure before than with this album :blink: He's been travelling around and promoting both the EP and the new album so much, even before it was actually released..

I think he's never had more promotion and exposure before than with this album :blink: He's been travelling around and promoting both the EP and the new album so much, even before it was actually released..

Yet people still aren't buying it :aah: I don't know what the answer is .... people are just ... odd .... :lmfao:

He did make a strong one ... he just needs more exposure ...

I think the album IS great and the exposure was absolutely at the right level...

I think it is WAG that decided it... I think it IS a great song (once you understand it:teehee:) but the arrangements killed it...

It has great lyrics, good melody but the way it sounds just contradicts what Mika is all about... You remember how we were missing the choir in it and all other songs we were comparing it with? It would have been a 12 week No 1 had it been released by Katy Perry or Pink. However, Mika's fans / audience are different..

I can clearly remember that when I first heard it I though there was something sinister going on, like Mika being re-positioned as the 4th Jonas brother..etc. Only when I saw the video did I realise that it was most definitely not the case...:teehee:

Anyway, there are other songs on the album as well I'd prefer to have been arranged differently but I think WAG is the most typical example when the packaging contradicts the content... and I am NOT talking about the song itself. I love the acoustic versions of it...

Edited by suzie

I think the album IS great and the exposure was absolutely at the right level...

I think it is WAG that decided it... I think it IS a great song (once you understand it:teehee:) but the arrangements killed it...

It has great lyrics, good melody but the way it sounds just contradicts what Mika is all about...

You remember how we were missing the choir in it and all other songs we were comparing it with?

It would have been a 12 week No 1 had it been released by Katy Perry or Pink. However, Mika's fans / audience are different..

I can clearly remember that when I fist heard it I though there was something sinister going on, like Mika being re-positioned as the 4th Jonas brother..etc. Only when I saw the video did I realise that it was most definitely not the case...:teehee:

Anyway, there are other songs on the album as well I'd prefer to have been arranged differently but I think WAG is the most typical example when the packaging contradicts the content... and I am NOT talking about the song itself. I love the acoustic versions of it...

I agree with you Suzie, just wanted to add something...

As far as I'm concerned Mika did well with WAG in UK, he was 4th in the charts,wasn't he? It's not a bad thing,it was pretty high positioned.

But the thing that surprises me is that the ALBUM is positioned so low. It's almost as if he's released an album that's not comercial enough.

I also think that the crucial error was the one his managment made - they should've made a huge UK tour to promote this album right after the album was released. Like he did with LICM in 2007, he did a gig in every single city or little town in UK.

He's kind of neglected UK, which isn't so smart because he's a British singer-songwriter after all.

And about WAG - when I first heard it I didn't really like it. The chorus reminded me of Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is A Place On Earth",then I hated the part where he said "We are not what you think we are, we are golden, we are GAWLDEN".

Then, after I listened to it carefully like 10 times, I started liking the song better, but still there was simply something wrong.

I think it's the video that takes the song into a whole new 'dimension', at least that's what I feel - I don't like listening to WAG without watching the video, like I said it in the other thread just a while ago..

So I think he just shouldn't have released WAG as the 1st single.

I really like the acoustic version too, and not to mention some of the remixes.

Regarding my previous post. I pmd B!anka about the promotion thread she opened for members in untoured or underdeveloped countries, and she wishes to keep it just for that, so I'll open a seperate thread where people from Britain can talk about stratedgies to help Mika's album sales in the UK.

I've just thought of something - street teaming. I'm familiar with it as Depeche Mode, IAMX and Patrick Wolf all have fans who do it.

For those unfamiliar with the concept I think all you have to do is produce items that you believe will best help generate sales of the album (i.e. flyers, posters etc.). I think it is a good way of getting people more interested in a particular artist or group and fans all over the world can do it.

What do you think?

I've just thought of something - street teaming. I'm familiar with it as Depeche Mode, IAMX and Patrick Wolf all have fans who do it.

For those unfamiliar with the concept I think all you have to do is produce items that you believe will best help generate sales of the album (i.e. flyers, posters etc.). I think it is a good way of getting people more interested in a particular artist or group and fans all over the world can do it.

What do you think?

I've just opened a UK Promotion Of Mika thread in the Chat About Mika section, so we can discuss our plans better over there in a thread especially for that purpose. I like the street teaming Blossom, and would like to learn more about it. The new thread can be for all of our ideas for boosting Mika's sales.

I've just opened a UK Promotion Of Mika thread in the Chat About Mika section, so we can discuss our plans better over there in a thread especially for that purpose. I like the street teaming Blossom, and would like to learn more about it. The new thread can be for all of our ideas for boosting Mika's sales.

*runs off to join 'UK Promotion' thread*

f*ck. i never look at charts positions tbh, but inspired by the discussion about the uk charts, i wanted to look how tbwktm was doing in germany - and found that it dropped out of the top 100 this week!! :shocked::no::tears: we definitely have to do something for germany as well! will think of a plan and of course involve the german forum. the times are good - new single out this week (in germany on friday), xmas coming soon... that should help us! :thumb_yello:

f*ck. i never look at charts positions tbh, but inspired by the discussion about the uk charts, i wanted to look how tbwktm was doing in germany - and found that it dropped out of the top 100 this week!! :shocked::no::tears: we definitely have to do something for germany as well! will think of a plan and of course involve the german forum. the times are good - new single out this week (in germany on friday), xmas coming soon... that should help us! :thumb_yello:

I think every country is having this problem.

It's number 157 in the US right now. It actually peaked at number 19, which was higher than LICM, but still, it's dropping rapidly.

This theory may have been brought up, but do you think it's because people rarely buy full albums anymore...they just buy individual songs? I know that I will only buy a full album if I REALLY want it, otherwise, with iTunes, I just buy one song. That and there's all the illegal downloading that takes away from the album sales....

I think every country is having this problem.

It's number 157 in the US right now. It actually peaked at number 19, which was higher than LICM, but still, it's dropping rapidly.

This theory may have been brought up, but do you think it's because people rarely buy full albums anymore...they just buy individual songs? I know that I will only buy a full album if I REALLY want it, otherwise, with iTunes, I just buy one song. That and there's all the illegal downloading that takes away from the album sales....

you're right with all that, but do you think it has changed that much in the last 2 years? :blink: LICM was in the german charts for over 60 weeks, and TBWKTM just 6?! :boxed: that difference can't be explained just by downloading issues imo.

one reason might be, like someone mentioned, that the big tour only starts next year, while 2007 he's been touring everywhere when the album came out. plus in germany he didn't have any tv appearances so far with the new album, iirc. he did radio promo in june, and the 2 exclusive radio gigs in sept+nov (which meant some more radio promo on a few selected stations), some interviews for magazine/online, but no tv, like he did in uk, italy, us, netherlands, france, etc. the baden-baden show will be on tv in january+february, but those aren't the most popular tv-stations really... :boxed:

not to talk about the german mikasounds website, which is updated only with the most necessary stuff and generally doesn't really make you interested imo.

Edited by mellody

you're right with all that, but do you think it has changed that much in the last 2 years? :blink: LICM was in the german charts for over 60 weeks, and TBWKTM just 6?! :boxed: that difference can't be explained just by downloading issues imo.

one reason might be, like someone mentioned, that the big tour only starts next year, while 2007 he's been touring everywhere when the album came out. plus in germany he didn't have any tv appearances so far with the new album, iirc. he did radio promo in june, and the 2 exclusive radio gigs in sept+nov (which meant some more radio promo on a few selected stations), some interviews for magazine/online, but no tv, like he did in uk, italy, us, netherlands, france, etc. the baden-baden show will be on tv in january+february, but those aren't the most popular tv-stations really... :boxed:

not to talk about the german mikasounds website, which is updated only with the most necessary stuff and generally doesn't really make you interested imo.

Ah true, true. I think the US is a hard market to be in if you aren't "cookie-cutter" music that is "popular" today, but he's done a lot of promo here. In your case, I assume that you're right about the lack of promo and concerts. Someone also mentioned that it's odd that he started off with a North American tour instead of a European one. Hopefully the big tour in the early winter and the release of Rain can help this out.

Well the German mikasounds website should hire you! just put some of the pics you got at the gigs on the front page. THAT will get people interested!:naughty:

Ah true, true. I think the US is a hard market to be in if you aren't "cookie-cutter" music that is "popular" today, but he's done a lot of promo here. In your case, I assume that you're right about the lack of promo and concerts. Someone also mentioned that it's odd that he started off with a North American tour instead of a European one. Hopefully the big tour in the early winter and the release of Rain can help this out.

I too thought it was odd that he started out with a North American tour instead of a European one. I wonder if he was thinking that starting out in North America might cause the US warm up to him a little. I wish the US would. We really need his beautiful music here! Where I live, he is never played on the radio and I haven't seen any TBWKTM video on US TV (in my area). He was on Ellen and David Letterman, which helped, but I wish they could have done more.

I try to do my part. The day TBWKTM was released I purchased CD's for some of my friends as gifts and as a way to promote his music. Most of them hadn't heard of him before except my praises about him. I told them that if for some reason they didn't like the CD to please pass it on to one of their friends. I figured that if it wasn't going to get played on the radio this would be the next best thing. But most of my friends really liked their CDs and wanted to keep them!

And here's a funny story....I gave a CD to one of my friends who didn't really care for MIKA's music. But she took the CD home anyway to play it for her husband. His reaction was so-so. Last weekend, she left her husband with her grandson while she went shopping. Her husband was playing The Beatles when she left. When she came back home, lo and behold, MIKA was playing, full-blast, and both her husband and grandson were dancing around the room! She said to her husband, "I thought you didn't really like this music?" He replied, "I guess it is growing on me. I am starting to really like it."

So the moral of my story is that most people are probably a little slower at accepting MIKA's music. It might take them awhile to say "Hey, I like this". It is just a matter of getting the music out to the masses. Where I live in the US, this is next to impossible. I agree that MIKA is in it for the long haul. Just because it isn't at the top of the charts right now doesn't mean that it won't be a success. It will.

Maybe we should just ask non Mika fans who liked the first album, but not the second, why they don't like it as much, or why they didn't like WAG. We're Mika fans so we're NEVER going to understand it!

Has anyone had feedback on this?

Still think its WAG and its lyrics...

And the sexuality issue, much as I hate to say that and ridiculous as it is...

I too thought it was odd that he started out with a North American tour instead of a European one. I wonder if he was thinking that starting out in North America might cause the US warm up to him a little. I wish the US would. We really need his beautiful music here! Where I live, he is never played on the radio and I haven't seen any TBWKTM video on US TV (in my area). He was on Ellen and David Letterman, which helped, but I wish they could have done more.

I try to do my part. The day TBWKTM was released I purchased CD's for some of my friends as gifts and as a way to promote his music. Most of them hadn't heard of him before except my praises about him. I told them that if for some reason they didn't like the CD to please pass it on to one of their friends. I figured that if it wasn't going to get played on the radio this would be the next best thing. But most of my friends really liked their CDs and wanted to keep them!

And here's a funny story....I gave a CD to one of my friends who didn't really care for MIKA's music. But she took the CD home anyway to play it for her husband. His reaction was so-so. Last weekend, she left her husband with her grandson while she went shopping. Her husband was playing The Beatles when she left. When she came back home, lo and behold, MIKA was playing, full-blast, and both her husband and grandson were dancing around the room! She said to her husband, "I thought you didn't really like this music?" He replied, "I guess it is growing on me. I am starting to really like it."

So the moral of my story is that most people are probably a little slower at accepting MIKA's music. It might take them awhile to say "Hey, I like this". It is just a matter of getting the music out to the masses. Where I live in the US, this is next to impossible. I agree that MIKA is in it for the long haul. Just because it isn't at the top of the charts right now doesn't mean that it won't be a success. It will.

I think he went to America first because he (or his record label) felt that this was the market he needed to break. I think they thought that Mika had Europe in the palm of his hand. But they underestimated the fickleness of some of the European market, especially the UK

Maybe we should just ask non Mika fans who liked the first album, but not the second, why they don't like it as much, or why they didn't like WAG. We're Mika fans so we're NEVER going to understand it!

Has anyone had feedback on this?

Still think its WAG and its lyrics...

And the sexuality issue, much as I hate to say that and ridiculous as it is...

I asked a lot of friends of mine. it's always the same. :boxed:

He's to gay to be in the top 10. Who wants to see this gay..like..unfit..

man dancing around like a little child in this room ?!

Let's face it. People want to see sixpacks and sex. something like lady

gaga or shakira. Mika is one of this different artists like.. well.. let's say

Tokio Hotel. Not everyone likes their music and style. and it's the same

with mika. i don't really want to compare mika to tokio hotel but.. erm :boxed:

does anyone know what i mean ? :blink::biggrin2:

I asked a lot of friends of mine. it's always the same. :boxed:

He's to gay to be in the top 10. Who wants to see this gay..like..unfit..

man dancing around like a little child in this room ?!

Let's face it. People want to see sixpacks and sex. something like lady

gaga or shakira. Mika is one of this different artists like.. well.. let's say

Tokio Hotel. Not everyone likes their music and style. and it's the same

with mika. i don't really want to compare mika to tokio hotel but.. erm :boxed:

does anyone know what i mean ? :blink::biggrin2:

yes I get that a lot .. thats the conviction of supporting some one different , its nice not to be a sheep :biggrin2:

I follow and do what I want , Im strong in what I believe , but I get this A LOT ...

It is update day at Billboard.

WAG is number 8 on the Dance/Club Chart.

TBWKTM is number 9 on the France Albums Chart.

TBWKTM is number 30 on the European Albums Chart.

I am thinking that WAG will remain on the Dance/Club Chart for quite a few weeks.

I am hoping that soon Rain & BIOTG will be hits on the Dance/Club Chart too.