The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.. this thread is depressing :tears:

i hope its just a sign of the changing times..

Cheer up :original:

Mika will have a long career - he is too talented not to - and he loves performing live and is spectacularly good at it, which seems to be what people think will make reputations and money in future.:thumb_yello:

Ellie I haven't read any specific reviews of Rain - yet I have heard a positive buzz about Rain - but TBWKTM received RAVEreviews!

I know, I know and quite rightly so!! WAG did too, often. But something seems to have happened since then. I just find it bizarre when its such a lovely song with good lyrics that its not at least getting critical acclaim....:huh::huh:

That's exactly the problem, Mika isn't appealing to people outside his core fans.

And let's be honest there hasn't been much promotion/performances of Rain for it to be top 40 :huh: And Radio play helps to back up with the promotion and it just hasn't happened for him.

I wish he didn't do the US tour straight after promoting WAG here. He should have concentrated hard in making himself MORE relevant in the UK and expose people to his new album. Having just one or two weeks of promotion and then shooting off isn't going to help promotion wise because frankly Mika isn't a big of an artist for his music just to do the talking... as we've seen with how Rain is doing atm.

Think you're right there - odd decision to head for the hardest market first before shoring up sales in the homeland.

I don't think anyone else will agree with me, but trying to look at it from the point of view of someone neutral who maybe bought LICM but isn't a keen fan, I don't think his videos are doing him any favours either.

Still, maybe its all part of a cunning plan...:wink2:

I feel like I am missing something!

I hope I am not in denial which would be odd as I usually am very realistic whether I like the facts or not.

But there is something just off about the sales figures of TBWKTM.

I don't understand.

I keep searching & reading everything I can get my hands on.

One of the reasons I think I am missing something is that there is NO yapping in print or any other media that Mika is finished, washed up, a one hit wonder etc. etc. - There would be if the sales were as low as what I keep finding.

The media out there are like sharks - if they smell blood they scream it loud & often whether it is based on fact or not.

There isn't a bigger than normal negative movement against Mika out there.

Which brings me back to - I am missing something.

Is anybody else scratching their head trying to figure it out??

I hope I am not in denial which would be odd as I usually am very realistic whether I like the facts or not.

I don't understand.

One of the reasons I think I am missing something is that there is NO yapping in print or any other media that Mika is finished, washed up, a one hit wonder etc. etc. - There would be if the sales were as low as what I keep finding.

The media out there are like sharks - if they smell blood they scream it loud & often whether it is based on fact or not.

No...it's just Mika is not relevant enough atm...at least. Not enough that even when he is "flopping" which he is in the UK...the media probably think people don't care enough to read about it. Well they certainly don't care enough to buy his new album/single :dunno:

I don't understand.

Well there was that written interview where they said he'd already sold over a million copies of his second album and had proved his doubters wrong.

Then on the Breakfast Show on BBC1, the presenter said his album was doing fantastic.

He's also in the lineup for the Royal Variety Show, and he wasn't even on that in 2007!

So I don't know, but I hope you are right in what you say.

I find this thread so depressing :tears:

He's amazing ... I just want the rest of the bloody world to wake up and realise this .... I can't believe he probably won't be in the top 40 with Rain on Sunday .... it's unbelievable - surely it's a mistake :(

No...it's just Mika is not relevant enough atm...at least. Not enough that even when he is "flopping" which he is in the UK...the media probably think people don't care enough to read about it. Well they certainly don't care enough to buy his new album/single :dunno:

Sorry Showtunes17 I don't buy that.

There would be an "eating frenzy!"

You live in the UK where the press is Horrible!

The American Tabloid Press - who aren't even very aware of Mika - would be having a field day!!

We are missing something.

Well there was that written interview where they said he'd already sold over a million copies of his second album and had proved his doubters wrong.

Then on the Breakfast Show on BBC1, the presenter said his album was doing fantastic.

He's also in the lineup for the Royal Variety Show, and he wasn't even on that in 2007!

I have been spending too much of my googling time looking for music charts.

Maybe I should be looking at - are second albums relevant?

How does the industry view the success or failure of the sophomore album?

That doesn't mean that I think it is NOT succeeding - because I am still trying to figure that out & not ready to let it go that - I have missed something.

I find this thread so depressing :tears:

He's amazing ... I just want the rest of the bloody world to wake up and realise this .... I can't believe he probably won't be in the top 40 with Rain on Sunday .... it's unbelievable - surely it's a mistake :(

Me too Laurel!!!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I think I am going to spend most of the weekend googling & searching for how the industry tracks their sales, how they gage success & see whereever else it leads me to.

Maybe by Monday I will have some answers

I will repeat one thing that I have said here & I believe - Nobody including Mika, his Management Team, Universal & the press -tabloid & legitamite - are acting like TBWKTM isn't doing well.

In the music business, the entertainment business - there are NO SECRETS!

It would be out there!

Think you're right there - odd decision to head for the hardest market first before shoring up sales in the homeland.

I don't think anyone else will agree with me, but trying to look at it from the point of view of someone neutral who maybe bought LICM but isn't a keen fan, I don't think his videos are doing him any favours either.

Still, maybe its all part of a cunning plan...:wink2:

Not even Rain?:boxed:

I don't understand.

I’m afraid that this is the worst that could happen, the silence, the meh, “he’s not good enough to buy but either not interesting enough to yell at”!!!!!:shocked:

I think I just scared myself; I want Mika to be big and make a big footstep in the music history, like Beatles!:wub2:

So what you’re saying is that we actually don’t know the true about the sale figures!

Sorry Showtunes17 I don't buy that.

There would be an "eating frenzy!"

You live in the UK where the press is Horrible!

The American Tabloid Press - who aren't even very aware of Mika - would be having a field day!!

We are missing something.

Well i'm sorry but that is definitely what is happening here...

I’m afraid that this is the worst that could happen, the silence, the meh, “he’s not good enough to buy but either not interesting enough to yell at”!!!!!:shocked:

Exactly :sad:

Not even Rain?:boxed:

I think I just scared myself; I want Mika to be big and make a big footstep in the music history, like Beatles!:wub2:

So what you’re saying is that we actually don’t know the true about the sale figures!

I honestly don't know. But we do seem to be getting mixed messages. On the down side, I bought a copy of Heat this week, hoping to see a review of Rain. They had a list of their recomended top ten downloadable singles, and Rain wasn't even on it. He's not on Radio One's playlist, and never was on the A-list with Rain. It just seems to me that everyone in the media (in the UK) has given up on on the song before it's even been out a week! I think this is a tragedy, I really do!

On the up side, no one is saying Mika's album isn't selling. No Mika hating critics are calling him a has been. As someone has said, the press in this country would really pounce on Mika, if there was something to pounce on. It's not fair, but it IS true that they would.

So at present I don't know what to believe.

It'd be too stupid to call him a has been - he is only on his 2nd album. It's getting really good reviews but just not performing well as people would like it to be. If the album was crap AND performing badly THEN the press would be ON him.

Also nothing is missing...There is no way getting away from the facts - he isn't selling well both album and single wise atm.

Lack of promotion is the key reason why.

Edited by Showtunes17

guylainem123 I agree with you.

How can Mika get requested if you don't play Mika in the first place??? DUH!

I searched VirginRadio96 - there are a lot of them in different Canadian cities each with different contact addresses.

I think I will make a list to post here later or tomorrow & also contact them myself.

Thanks Marilyn - just finished sending.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

the one i listen to is Virgin Radio in Montreal, they also have a tweeter account which is @VirginRadio96

Okay Here is Billboard's Latest:

WAG is number 5 on the Dance/club Chart - that is up from last week.

TBWKTM is 42 on the European Album Chart - unfortunately that is down.

Worldwide Albums hasn't been updated yet today.

That is the one I am anxiuosly waiting to see.:shocked::blink:

Okay guys as promised here are all of the Virgin radio 96 contacts throughout Canada that I could find:

< mbergman@virginradio.ca >

< bharris@radio.astral.com >

< VOD1069@virginradio.ca >

< mtremblay@radio.astral.com >

< wwebster@radio.astral.com >

< jwinskell@radio.astral.com >

I am including Marilyn's suggestion of Radio One in the UK:

< http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/help/contactus/ >

If you put them all in one email it shouldn't be time consuming.

I think sometime over the next week I am going to start a new thread with radio contacts throughout the world.

We need to get radio's attention!!

thanks for those addresses. the top one is mark bergman. interesting enough, when mika was in montreal in 2007, mark had done a great interview and had also spoken to him on a phone interview when GK went to #1.

i don't even think that mika went to english radio stations this time around... only the french ones.

the one i listen to is Virgin Radio in Montreal, they also have a tweeter account which is @VirginRadio96

thanks for those addresses. the top one is mark bergman. interesting enough, when mika was in montreal in 2007, mark had done a great interview and had also spoken to him on a phone interview when GK went to #1.

i don't even think that mika went to english radio stations this time around... only the french ones.

Kudos to Mark Bergman.

I am so disillusioned with English speaking Canada this time around!!

I couldn't find interviews, reviews, nothing!

I know I am obsessed - but there should be a happy medium & Canada should have stepped up to the plate.

Montreal was the only Canadian city that welcomed Mika & made a big deal that he was in Canada.

We are going to have Mikafy our fellow Anglo Canucks!!

It'd be too stupid to call him a has been - he is only on his 2nd album. It's getting really good reviews but just not performing well as people would like it to be. If the album was crap AND performing badly THEN the press would be ON him.

Also nothing is missing...There is no way getting away from the facts - he isn't selling well both album and single wise atm.

I think one of the problems is that he went on tour too soon.

What do you mean? He hasn't been on tour yet. :blink:

Okay, not tour as in "major tour", but he did do a tour in america/canada and now he's off in the far east. I don't know what it is really, but wasn't he in the UK everytime one of his singles was released in 07? I know he's performed Rain on TV a few times but that was way before its release, besides Children In Need. (well, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I can't keep up with his schedule :aah:)

I don't know.

I just don't know.

I feel like I never see him anywhere :blink: He was in loads of things when WAG come out, but now it's almost like he's disappeared from the media. Seeing his name pop up 3 times in Star magazine almost gave me a heart attack.

[/b]

I am confused here!

I have seen tons of promotion.

I think one of the problems is that he went on tour too soon.

I don't understand your remark at all!!??.

The Uk & European Tour is still 2 1/2 months away!

Mika needed to be in North America as soon as he did.

I think it is radio air play - but - who knows????

I still think I am missing something as Mika, Universal & Mika's Team are not running scared & the Tabloid Press is not printing his career eulogy on the front page- bite my tongue!

I am beginning to suspect a Sherlock Holmes Mystery. :roftl::roftl:

I still think I am missing something as Mika, Universal & Mika's Team are not running scared & the Tabloid Press is not printing his career eulogy on the front page- bite my tongue!

look below...(or...above? :blink:)

Okay, not tour as in "major tour", but he did do a tour in america/canada and now he's off in the far east. I don't know what it is really, but wasn't he in the UK everytime one of his singles was released in 07? I know he's performed Rain on TV a few times but that was way before its release, besides Children In Need. (well, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I can't keep up with his schedule :aah:)

I don't know.

I just don't know.

I feel like I never see him anywhere :blink: He was in loads of things when WAG come out, but now it's almost like he's disappeared from the media. Seeing his name pop up 3 times in Star magazine almost gave me a heart attack.

I don't know.

I just don't know.

Maybe he's not in UK / EU media right now, (allthough the KGV visit did appear in the media over here....) but he is being covered a lot in the press of the country/continent where he is at the time. There was lots of stuff about australia, now about asia. He can't be everywhere at once you know. He'd never be able to leave the UK if he had to do all possible promo. + isn't it always like that? With a new album, artists always get a lot coverage, then it just dies out a bit I guess :dunno:

I am confused here!

I have seen tons of promotion.

I think he (or his people) made the decision to go to America first, because he never gets radio play there and they want him to succeed in The States. This is just a theory of mine, but I don't think it's lack of promotion exactly. But there was a lot of confusion, wasn't there, about whether his second single would be Rain, or BIOTG. Channel 4 showed the video of BIOTG, but the Rain vid wasn't shown at all. Even when Mika was on some radio show and they asked him about his next single, he said, "I don't know (pause) probably Rain."

I'm not saying this is the problem. But it could be ONE reason why Rain hasn't taken off in the UK. It wasn't hailed as the next single until it almost came out.