The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

Hmmm... well, maybe since canadian artists don't get as much attention as british do, we are very "quick spread you wings and fly." not caring where they tour. :bleh:

Maybe- we're very prroud and supportive of our artists generally- and love to see them succeed elsewhere BUT get resentful if we feel they're not really interested in us. And I repeat, this is a national thing, not my own reaction. (although when the US tour was announced, I was surprised)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, it seems that hes trying too hard to conquer the US. He brings it up a lot. Tours in those areas alot.

And to do what? Lose all his other fans in the rest of the world 'cos they haven't seen hide nor hair of him lately?

The US used to be majorly influential but i get the feeling that its not anymore. When I visit other countries I really get the feeling that the US has lost the respect of SO many other countries because of the war overseas, and also because of the common image protrayed of America; unwelcoming to outsiders and with a lot of fast food and digital entertainment devices.

I'm not taking a stab at the US, far from it. But to me it just seems clear that the US is unwilling to accept Mika, and for the time being he needs to let them be and focus on the reste of the world. The US will catch up when they realise Mika is hitting #1 again and again all over the world and they are missing out. Who cares how many years that will take :dunno:

To me, it seems that hes trying too hard to conquer the US. He brings it up a lot. Tours in those areas alot.

And to do what? Lose all his other fans in the rest of the world 'cos they haven't seen hide nor hair of him lately?

The US used to be majorly influential but i get the feeling that its not anymore. When I visit other countries I really get the feeling that the US has lost the respect of SO many other countries because of the war overseas, and also because of the common image protrayed of America; unwelcoming to outsiders and with a lot of fast food and digital entertainment devices.

I'm not taking a stab at the US, far from it. But to me it just seems clear that the US is unwilling to accept Mika, and for the time being he needs to let them be and focus on the reste of the world. The US will catch up when they realise Mika is hitting #1 again and again all over the world and they are missing out. Who cares how many years that will take :dunno:

as an American, I completely agree with you. America is portrayed badly throughout the rest of the world. I'm not saying we should ditch everything and become Europe,(actually, I think that would be bad for us) but we need to somehow show people that Americans aren't overweight, uncultured fools.

Well, the US is majorly influencial and it will probably always be that way. And they never really had respect, a lot of people don't agree with the ways of their presidents, and honestly you can't group everyone into that bandwagon (Americans are some of the nicest people :wub2:)

But basically US is like the first domino, like with the recession something bad happens there and we're all affected. So yeah, I can see why you'd want to make it there, (If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere, it's up to you, new york new york...etc.)

Let's put this in perspective people. He has done SEVEN DATES in the US supporting this album. I find it difficult to believe that this has impacted his sales around the world in any negative way.

I also wonder if it would have been best to hit the road supporting the album in Europe immediately after the album was released, but you can't point to a few dates in the US necessitating this decision. He has spent week after week doing things other than a full European tour, and the majority of that time was spent doing things other than touring the US as well.

I think its an interesting discussion and I hate saying ohh he should played the UK / Europe first as I have loads friends in the USA and I never felt jealous , rather I was hoping all the effort he put in over there would help to make him the golbal star we know he is ..

If he toured Europe first would his album sales be higher? dont know .. its an interesting point , overall I guess it was a decision to try and break the US

Just seems a long time between album release and Europe tour with lots of "bits" thrown in here there and everywhere as promotions

I absolutely cannot see record buying public in the UK 'punishing' Mika because he started his tour in the US......If you think about it, would they care if Leona moved to the US and spent most of her time there? No, because she'd still be their Hackney girl. :pinkbow:

However, this "we're very proud and supportive of our artists generally" comment is very interesting. I never posted on this, but I don't think Joe Public in the UK considers Mika a British artist. I was reading the main Queen fan site in 2007-2008 and to my surprise many posters thought Mika was non-British and the nicer ones wanted him to cover "Mustapha" as they thought he was a muslim (:blink:) and the cruel ones were appalled that he was even nominated for a Brit Award as a UK artist in 2008.. :shocked:

And that was a Queen fan site where you normally wouldn't expect any racist and homophobic remarks, although there are many :cool:

Anyway, I am not saying that the relatively lower sales of TBWKTM are in any way reflecting the increasing popularity of nationalist parties across Europe but if anyone bases their choice of musical taste on their 'patriotic' feelings, I don't think Mika would benefit from it in any way for he is proud to be half American half Lebanese and a cosmopoitan who has liberal views, which is basically a swear word nowadays..

Edited by suzie

I tend to think that a lot of this "breaking America" thing is more to do with the record company than with Mika himself. They probably wanted him to tour there first. But he DID do several TV appearances here, and he promised a UK tour. The problem is that our poor Mika can't be in more than one place at a time.

But he's on the Radio2 tonight as a DJ, and he was a DJ on Real Radio a couple of nights ago, and he mentioned the tour. So he is still in touch with Britain, and february will soon be here.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

:shocked:

When was that?

Didn't I type it yesterday? Then it was yesterday, cause I typed it a few hours after I had watched it.

About the promo:

They could have done way more than this over here. Loads of people over here didn't even know he had a new album out. There aren't any commercials about the album on tv and stuff like that.

Rain got a lot of airplay in the beginning, but the videoclip wasn't out, and the single wasn't officially released yet. So when it finally got released, it seemed people were done with it already. It has only been in the charts for a few weeks and it's highest position wasn't even in the top 10 yet.

The only Dutch channel I've seen Rain on was MTV Brand New.

His album nor his singles aren't in the charts. Not even in the top100.:boxed:

I absolutely cannot see record buying public in the UK 'punishing' Mika because he started his tour in the US......If you think about it, would they care if Leona moved to the US and spent most of her time there? No, because she'd still be their Hackney girl. :pinkbow:

I can't believe anyone in Britain even knows or cares that Mika went to North America for 2 weeks. He hardly took up residence here in an effort to break the US. I don't understand where this notion even comes from that he's wasting so much time on the American market. How much LESS time can he spend here than 2 weeks for heaven's sake? :aah: He did sell 500,000 albums in North America with LICM so 2 weeks promo and touring to support the second album is a bare minimal effort IMO.

However, this "we're very proud and supportive of our artists generally" comment is very interesting. I never posted on this, but I don't think Joe Public in the UK considers Mika a British artist.

I think this is one of the reasons Mika struggles for popular acceptance in English speaking countries. His exotic, multilingual image may be a draw for people in non-English speaking countries who normally can't relate to British or American pop stars, but for the Brits and Americans it's not appealing.

In the US especially I think he would have to play up the fact that he is a proud American and check the French/Lebanese/rootless gypsy thing at the door.

for he is proud to be half American half Lebanese and a cosmopoitan who has liberal views, which is basically a swear word nowadays..

HA! Its not a swear word in America! If your liberal the Americans mainstream media(or as bernie goldberg calls it, the "lame-stream":wink2:) will welcome you with open arms.

I can't believe anyone in Britain even knows or cares that Mika went to North America for 2 weeks. He hardly took up residence here in an effort to break the US. I don't understand where this notion even comes from that he's wasting so much time on the American market. How much LESS time can he spend here than 2 weeks for heaven's sake? :aah: He did sell 500,000 albums in North America with LICM so 2 weeks promo and touring to support the second album is a bare minimal effort IMO.

I think you're right Christine - two weeks is hardly a major event, and most of the British public don't even notice when Mika is in the UK, let alone abroad.

I think this is one of the reasons Mika struggles for popular acceptance in English speaking countries. His exotic, multilingual image may be a draw for people in non-English speaking countries who normally can't relate to British or American pop stars, but for the Brits and Americans it's not appealing.

It certainly appeals to me :das:

I think the problem Mika and all modern artists are facing is: how do you market yourself in a world where the internet makes new music instantly accessible? Gone are the days of phased releases around the world, when you could concentrate on one area at a time.

I think you're right Christine - two weeks is hardly a major event, and most of the British public don't even notice when Mika is in the UK, let alone abroad.

It certainly appeals to me :das:

I think the problem Mika and all modern artists are facing is: how do you market yourself in a world where the internet makes new music instantly accessible? Gone are the days of phased releases around the world, when you could concentrate on one area at a time.

*interrupts with a :lmfao:*

*leaves*

wow so we are even talking about nationalism now?:teehee:

i guess i'd nvr know how brits/americans think of him..... but is national identity really such a strong thing that the british public would consider him having ABANDONED them????:boxed:

American is really dominating the world-- not just talking abt the entertainment industry, but also poliically and economically-- at least to me it is. and i guess mika's team should face the fact that he cannot break thru the US market at the moment.

I suppose the surprise is not that the masses don't like an offbeat album like BoyWho but that so many people mistook LICM for brainless pop

yup, i suppose this is one of the reasons too!!

The British people I know definitely think of Mika as British. This is 2010 you know! He's got a posh English voice, he lives in London and he talks about British things- it's an obvious assumption to make, even ignoring the fact that GK was a massive hit- big enough for the media to mention his nationality. I'm actually quite offended that you think people that England would think "oh, he can't be one of us.." becasue he mentions a Lebanese mother and American father, lived in Paris.

Don't think we don't like foreigners, but lots of people like to hear of British people doing well, even if we've never previously heard of them. And that will include Mika UNLESS we get the idea that he doesn't really care for us- which is a conclusion we often rather touchily come to.

As to people not knowing he hasn't toured here, just about every interview he's done- including R2 last night- he's said something along the lines of "...I've got a new record... I've had a fab year... I've toured America, gigged all over the world" and people WILL have clocked the fact that he hasn't mentioned touring here. (I don't know why he doesn't seem to count the songs for sorrow tour or the London stuff- but he very rarely mentions it- I wanted to kick him last night)

Edited by Soaring Simpson

In the US especially I think he would have to play up the fact that he is a proud American and check the French/Lebanese/rootless gypsy thing at the door.

Exotic IS usually considered appealing in the UK, and we're impressed by multilingualism, (so long as we get our interviews in English). It might be different in America, but I'm not sure that Mika could pull off a "regular all American guy" character for long.

I think what he says about his music is also true of his character so far as media fascination is concerned- he's a little too weird for the mainstream and too nice for the indie/arty crowd.

HA! Its not a swear word in America! If your liberal the Americans mainstream media(or as bernie goldberg calls it, the "lame-stream":wink2:) will welcome you with open arms.

Over here it is the liberal economic policy that is blamed for the recession and this view seems to have provided ammunition for some right wing political parties to start a crusade on anything that is considered to be 'liberal', 'innovative' or 'different' in any walk of life..

(note: this comment of mine is not Mika-related, I don't want to bring this into this argument)

wow so we are even talking about nationalism now?:teehee:

i guess i'd nvr know how brits/americans think of him..... but is national identity really such a strong thing that the british public would consider him having ABANDONED them????:boxed:

American is really dominating the world-- not just talking abt the entertainment industry, but also poliically and economically-- at least to me it is. and i guess mika's team should face the fact that he cannot break thru the US market at the moment.

I think that if he wants to break through the US market, now is the time to do it with his second album. I think that's what they've been trying to do..put so much money into promoting this album and Mika in the US with the tour, the surprise event at that candy place etc. It just seems that maybe it hasn't worked :dunno:

I don't think he might have the chance to try and break through in America again..

Over here it is the liberal economic policy that is blamed for the recession and this view seems to have provided ammunition for some right wing political parties to start a crusade on anything that is considered to be 'liberal', 'innovative' or 'different' in any walk of life..

(note: this comment of mine is not Mika-related, I don't want to bring this into this argument)

That's interesting- people here are being rather critical of the government's excessive zeal for nationalising things, so it's rather the opposite- though again it's the right that are objecting

That's interesting- people here are being rather critical of the government's excessive zeal for nationalising things, so it's rather the opposite- though again it's the right that are objecting

I was referring to the financial deregulation (morgages made available widely and even being re-sold..etc) as a typical neoliberal policy. That was practised in the UK as well, and now government is trying to mend the broken Britain by nationalising things.

The British people I know definitely think of Mika as British. This is 2010 you know! He's got a posh English voice, he lives in London and he talks about British things

That's cool, because last time I read about his English in the UK media, he was ridiculed for his 'airport accent'..:cool:

I do not believe that this would represent people's way of thinking in as I know that Britain is a multi-cultural society that people living there should be extremely proud of. However, you do find a question mark about Mika's roots and nationality when you read non Mika-related sites and I have friends in London who did ask me where he was from... That is a fact. It also is a fact that in no way would a non-fan listen to a Mika interview when he is talking about his Britishness. Non-fans in the UK might come-across short captions under pictures that read : "Beirut-born crooner" ...etc. In my country he is simply referred to as a Lebanese singer. So that's why I think the argument that marketing him as a multicultural singer (that usually just becomes simplified in press releases as half-Lebanese) does not work in many countries.

Mika might be fully aware of this. He might deliberately only want people who couldn't care less about his background to listen to his music.

The problem, in my opinion, is that his music simply won't reach people if opinion leaders are already judgemental about his background.

Edited by suzie

That's cool, because last time I read about his English in the UK media, he was ridiculed for his 'airport accent'..:cool:

I do not believe that this would represent people's way of thinking in as I know that Britain is a multi-cultural society that people living there should be extremely proud of. However, you do find a question mark about Mika's roots and nationality when you read non Mika-related sites and I have friends in London who did ask me where he was from... That is a fact. It also is a fact that in no way would a non-fan listen to a Mika interview when he is talking about his Britishness. Non-fans in the UK might come-across short captions under pictures that read : "Beirut-born crooner" ...etc. In my country he is simply referred to as a Lebanese singer. So that's why I think the argument that marketing him as a multicultural singer (that usually just becomes simplified in press releases as half-Lebanese) does not work in many countries.

Mika might be fully aware of this. He might deliberately only want people who couldn't care less about his background to listen to his music.

The problem, in my opinion, is that his music simply won't reach people if opinion leaders are already judgemental about his background.

I didn't say people liked posh English accents :naughty: just that he has one. I wasn't talking about Mika interviews though- more about mentions along the lines of "one of the best selling British artists/singles/albums..." Though while non fans might not listen avidly to Mika interviews, people who have the radio on at home/car/work (hopefully) won't switch off when he comes on and so will have heard his English voice and what he chatters about. Having said that, there's also plenty of people who haven't heard of him at all and assume he's a band, or a woman.

I wouldn't count Mika as someone who doesn't care about nationality- I think he's proud of his Lebanese heritage, in fact I'm pretty confident he's said so- which is very un-English as we think it's silly to be proud of an accident of birth, that sort of stuff having been educated out of us in the 70s. (Me, I sort of envy national him his national pride, but I still think it's silly)

This sounds sort of confused, but I think when the British press say things like "Beirut born crooner" they're distinguishing him from the many other British celebs in the press, rather than suggesting he's an outsider- though I do think Mika likes to paint himself as an outsider

Edited by Soaring Simpson

As to people not knowing he hasn't toured here, just about every interview he's done- including R2 last night- he's said something along the lines of "...I've got a new record... I've had a fab year... I've toured America, gigged all over the world" and people WILL have clocked the fact that he hasn't mentioned touring here.

I still find it difficult to believe anyone cares about Mika's tour schedule. Even the majority of his fans don't know what he's doing most of the time. People who like him enough to seek him out on Twitter and Facebook still ask him...when are you coming to London/Toronto/New York the week he is scheduled to perform there. :doh:

I wouldn't count Mika as someone who doesn't care about nationality- I think he's proud of his Lebanese heritage, I'm pretty confident he's said so- which is very un-English as we think it's silly to be proud of an accident of birth, that sort of stuff having been educated out of us in the 70s. (Me, I sort of envy national him his national pride, but I still think it's silly)

This seems like a contradiction to me. The Brits aren't nationalistic but they are offended that Mika pays more attention to Americans?

From a Canadian perspective the Brits are very nationalistic. All the Brits I know are very proud of the fact that they are British (as well as being English or Scottish), both the ones living in the UK and abroad. In fact I seem to recall a St. George's cross flag planted at the head of one Mika queue and it wasn't just there for decoration if you know what I mean. :fisch:

I think the only thing that gives Canadians a sense of national identity is that none of us have a sense of national identity. :naughty:

I still find it difficult to believe anyone cares about Mika's tour schedule. Even the majority of his fans don't know what he's doing most of the time. People who like him enough to seek him out on Twitter and Facebook still ask him...when are you coming to London/Toronto/New York the week he is scheduled to perform there. :doh:

This seems like a contradiction to me. The Brits aren't nationalistic but they are offended that Mika pays more attention to Americans?

From a Canadian perspective the Brits are very nationalistic. All the Brits I know are very proud of the fact that they are British (as well as being English or Scottish), both the ones living in the UK and abroad. In fact I seem to recall a St. George's cross flag planted at the head of one Mika queue and it wasn't just there for decoration if you know what I mean. :fisch:

I think the only thing that gives Canadians a sense of national identity is that none of us have a sense of national identity. :naughty:

I'm distinguishing between national identity and national pride. I'd be surprised if people getting to know me couldn't guess I was British, but I'd never say "I'm really proud to have an English mother and father" (I've actually NEVER heard anyone say they're proud to be British/English) yet I do think Mika has said he's proud to be half Lebanese. I really don't get the concept- neither he nor I did anything to determine our nationality, so where does pride come into it? And I think that's what most English people feel. (Though actually it was in South Wales that any trace of national pride was educated out of me)

I don't know what you mean about the flag being "not for decoration"- some English people, fed up of being surrounded by flag waving Scots Welsh and Irish, have recently taken up the flag of St George, but surely they were simply trying to catch Mika's attention/ stand out from the crowd?

I tend as a default to support british athletes and stars etc, as do most people here, and there's a sort of identification with someone if they have a similar background to yours (although nationality is only one of many features- I identify with Madonna as a senior steel worker's daughter) but I don't have any sense of national pride- I didn't chose where I was born and I don't feel any better about myself if a British person wins an oscar or the Nobel peace prize or suchlike.

I'm distinguishing between national identity and national pride. I'd be surprised if people getting to know me couldn't guess I was British, but I'd never say "I'm really proud to have an English mother and father" (I've actually NEVER heard anyone say they're proud to be British/English) yet I do think Mika has said he's proud to be half Lebanese. I really don't get the concept- neither he nor I did anything to determine our nationality, so where does pride come into it?

I think that that pride only comes when you don't live in your own country (anymore). I would never say that I'm proud to be Belgian as long as I live in Belgium. But I do think that if I moved to... anywhere in the world, I would start to feel proud as well. I think it's just a part of finding out who you are, and where you belong. Does that makes sense? :dunno: