The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

I TOTALLY agree with you, Marilyn, and said basically the same thing weeks

ago. It made no sense at all to release this single so long after the

movie debuted --the buzz was gone!

And of course the Kick-Ass EP (with BIOTG and I See You)

is NOT available in the US at all, so I

can't download that. Worse still -- originally you could

download the individual songs of the soundtrack here in the US, but a

few days before the single was released that changed. There is only

one song now that you can download by itself -- the one by Pretty Reckless. :sneaky2:

(I did download the individual song Kick-Ass

while it was still available, but obviously that didn't count toward the

numbers for the charts.) Furthermore, I can't even buy the actual

soundtrack CD here in the states, I'd have to get that as an import.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I just don't understand this. :no:

It's so freakin' sad that the media aren't supporting Mika. The first London date at Hammersmith was sold out - it's clear us Brits do actually like the guy, but for the regular fans (i.e. the ones who don't obsessively google him/check up on him etc) they're not gonna know about new releases unless it's been promoted, promoted, and promoted a bit more. Lady GaGa's Bad Romance was on the music channels every freakin' second , is always in the magazines and is always on radio. Rihanna's Umbrella song...don't even get me started on that one.

Deb, I know it might not be exactly our place to question such a thing to Team Mika, and may be considered cheeky and interfering, but can we ask their thoughts on these chart positions and lack of promotion? I, including the rest of the fan club I'm sure, am being increasingly frustrated about this.

Mika clearly wanted Kick Ass to be a success as he told Mellody to get everyone to contact Radio Stations. Yeah it kinda went wrong and blame was placed in a couple of directions, but it seems that us, the FANS, are the only ones who are trying. Of course we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but as far as I'm concerned the only things these promoters could be doing are filing their nails. Mika deserves better.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so freakin' sad that the media aren't supporting Mika. The first London date at Hammersmith was sold out - it's clear us Brits do actually like the guy, but for the regular fans (i.e. the ones who don't obsessively google him/check up on him etc) they're not gonna know about new releases unless it's been promoted, promoted, and promoted a bit more. Lady GaGa's Bad Romance was on the music channels every freakin' second , is always in the magazines and is always on radio. Rihanna's Umbrella song...don't even get me started on that one.

Deb, I know it might not be exactly our place to question such a thing to Team Mika, and may be considered cheeky and interfering, but can we ask their thoughts on these chart positions and lack of promotion? I, including the rest of the fan club I'm sure, am being increasingly frustrated about this.

Mika clearly wanted Kick Ass to be a success as he told Mellody to get everyone to contact Radio Stations. Yeah it kinda went wrong and blame was placed in a couple of directions, but it seems that us, the FANS, are the only ones who are trying. Of course we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but as far as I'm concerned the only things these promoters could be doing are filing their nails. Mika deserves better.

HEAR HEAR! Much as I enjoy Lady G's music, I am getting sick to death of her being all over the place and her songs all over everywhere. I was also upset over what happenned when Mellody tried so hard to help Mika, after he asked her to, and it ended up going wrong. But if the promoters are not going to do the job they're paid to do, surely the fans have to step in and help Mika!!

I think the worst thing is that we all had such high hopes for Kick-Ass. It was the theme to a cool movie, there was a brilliant video, and most of the comments about the video were great! It did not occur to me at the time that hardly anyone would actually play the song, and as you said, the fans on here know everything about what Mika is doing, but the many who enjoy his music, but arn't as obsessed as us on MFC, wouldn't have known the song existed.

As far as I'm concerned, his team have let him down and it's his career that could suffer if he doesn't have another hit record. I think they need to explain themselves at the very least.

HEAR HEAR! Much as I enjoy Lady G's music, I am getting sick to death of her being all over the place and her songs all over everywhere. I was also upset over what happenned when Mellody tried so hard to help Mika, after he asked her to, and it ended up going wrong. But if the promoters are not going to do the job they're paid to do, surely the fans have to step in and help Mika!!

I think the worst thing is that we all had such high hopes for Kick-Ass. It was the theme to a cool movie, there was a brilliant video, and most of the comments about the video were great! It did not occur to me at the time that hardly anyone would actually play the song, and as you said, the fans on here know everything about what Mika is doing, but the many who enjoy his music, but arn't as obsessed as us on MFC, wouldn't have known the song existed.

As far as I'm concerned, his team have let him down and it's his career that could suffer if he doesn't have another hit record. I think they need to explain themselves at the very least.

yeah it's really difficult if the promoters doesn't help :(

here in Mexico sometimes we go out to give flyers to the people with info about Mika but some people don't even read it ¬¬

and we always say send messages to the record company asking them if they can program his videos in musical channels like mtv or vh1 and they just say "ahh yes...next weekend..." but it doesn't happen u.u

I'm really sad that Mika, an amazing and unique artist, doesn't get the attention that he deserves :(

Same thing here in Romania...

Last Saturday I was in some mall when I heard Rain, I was like "okay, they always play Rain or Happy Ending, so nothing special" but right after that I heard the beginning of WAG and went :blink: it was the first time I ever heard it in a public place and not just at home or in my headphones! :lmfao:

What I don't understand is why they seem to have left Kick Ass out of the list exactly in the closest city where I actually could have gone to see it :loco: AND, as you all said, why the promoters are acting so weird with Mika's song, I have some friends in my class who would've never found out that Mika has a new song if I hadn't told them about it :aah:

I noticed that Katy Perry's new song California Gurls was released to radio on May 7th, and by May 11th it was available on iTunes.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily fair to compare the two situations because of the whole movie element, but Kick Ass was released to radio (or at least to the Sun) in mid-March, but not available as a single until May. And look at WAG. It was released to radio in July but the single wasn't out until what, September? :blink:

I don't get that. It seems Katy's people are of the opinion that today's gotta-have-it-now music consumer will want to get their own copies of a song as soon as they hear it. Whereas it seems Mika's people don't necessarily share that opinion. :dunno:

And it is already in the top 10 in many countries, only because it is advertised on the first page of iTunes, not because it's better or even as good as Kic-Ass. After listening to it on Youtube I can't even remeber the chorus anymore.

kick ass entered the german charts at no. 54. http://www.mtv.de/charts/germany :biggrin2: that's 2 chart positions better than rain was here, and regarding the fact that it's no physical release and not in the slightest promoted by the german record company (apart from it being featured on the kick ass movie website), i think that's not too bad. :wink2: hope it'll get higher in the charts in the next weeks, and not drop out after 3 weeks like rain did.

I noticed that Katy Perry's new song California Gurls was released to radio on May 7th, and by May 11th it was available on iTunes.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily fair to compare the two situations because of the whole movie element, but Kick Ass was released to radio (or at least to the Sun) in mid-March, but not available as a single until May. And look at WAG. It was released to radio in July but the single wasn't out until what, September? :blink:

I don't get that. It seems Katy's people are of the opinion that today's gotta-have-it-now music consumer will want to get their own copies of a song as soon as they hear it. Whereas it seems Mika's people don't necessarily share that opinion. :dunno:

Mika's promotion people deserve to be fired!

I'm deadly serious!

TBWKTM is #10 this week in France :thumb_yello: If I remember well it has been in the top 25 ever since its release in September, and it has (of course may I say as it's in France) reached #1. I am happy about it, but I find it so strange that the effect is not the same in some other places, particularly in the UK. British people loved him with LICM didn't they? Do they really find TBWKTM not good, do they not know about it or have they just changed their minds about Mika? :dunno:

Of course when I say 'them' it is really vague, I'm not blaming anybody just trying to understand, but we'll never get any answer I guess.

Last thing is, even here BIOTG and Kick-Ass haven't been physically released. How strange is that? Are they not gonna release any song anymore?

Mika's promotion people deserve to be fired!

I'm deadly serious!

talking about which, here's the newsletter i got from universal germany today... ok, surprised that they're sending a mika newsletter at all, i get one only every few months... but turned out it's not really a mika newsletter but a wouter hamel newsletter! :aah: ok i don't mind if they promote him as well, he's good, but seriously, 4 links to him, and what link do we get for mika? we are golden "out now"! :aah::doh: it's nice that they mention kick ass in the first paragraph, but why the f* didn't they manage to just put a download link to it in their mail, is that really asked too much?! :aah:

2hrmkuv.jpg

That is THE one thing that is most confusing to me --

They tell me about a new song.

I hear the new song on the radio.

I love it and want to buy it.

I go to iTunes... and find it won't be for sale for another 6 weeks! :boxed:

I'm sorry, but 6 weeks from now I've moved on. Call it a short attention

span, but seriously -- if I hear it on the radio TODAY, I want to buy

it TODAY, not in several weeks, when I'm starting to get tired of it.

OK, I know I'm preaching to the choir here -- most of you agree with me.

But this is just the most confusing strategy -- and it doesn't really seem

to be effective, at least not to me.

*agrees!*

I agree completely. Also when TBWKTM came out I saw about three short adverts for it. Other stars seem to have much more advertising for their albums. When Bad Romance was first played on the radio, it was supposed to be out a few weeks later, but when people started to want to download it from iTunes, they bowed to public demand for the song and allowed it to be downloaded much earlier. I know this, because my husband is a Gaga fan. Why can't it be the same for Mika's songs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow this thread hasn't been used for quite a while!

Just to say that TBWKTM is the #12 best selling album of 2010 in France so far, with around 90000 copies.

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/Les-Enfoires/news-70478.html

It seems quite good considering most fans probably bought it before 2010 started, don't you think?

Just to say that TBWKTM is the #12 best selling album of 2010 in France so far, with around 90000 copies.

It seems quite good considering most fans probably bought it before 2010 started, don't you think?

I guess most french fans already bought that on 2009 :wink2:

Goodness gracious me! I was thinking about this thread earlier today, wondering if all of the festival appearances have made the album sell more copies?

It seems like Mika has given up on this album though. Up to now there's no sign of a new single from it. Yet he could still release some good singles from the album. I think Touches You would be the obvious choice for a single. Maybe once he's having a break from the touring and writing the new Magnum Opus in the studio, he might release a new single from this poor old 'BOY'.

POP sale chart on Biggest Online Record Shop in Korea

1. Michael Jackson - King Of Pop (The Korean Edition)

2. Mika - The Boy Who Knew Too Much (Deluxe Edition)(2CD)

3. Susan Boyle - I Dreamed A Dream

4. Lady GaGa - The Fame Monster (Deluxe Edition)(2CD)

5. Jason Mraz - Beautiful Mess: Live On Earth

6. Sting - If On A Winter's Night

7. Westlife - Where We Are

8. Mika - Life In Cartoon Motion

9. Christina Aguilera - Bionic (Deluxe Edition)

10. Beyonce - I Am... Sasha Fierce (Platinum Edition)

LICM is still being sold much more than CA or Beyonce's latest album :aah::aah::aah: and TBWNTM NEVER falls down from chart top 5 from september 2009 :mf_rosetinted::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Goodness gracious me! I was thinking about this thread earlier today, wondering if all of the festival appearances have made the album sell more copies?

It seems like Mika has given up on this album though. Up to now there's no sign of a new single from it. Yet he could still release some good singles from the album. I think Touches You would be the obvious choice for a single. Maybe once he's having a break from the touring and writing the new Magnum Opus in the studio, he might release a new single from this poor old 'BOY'.

I think he'll finish 2nd album after this festivals....:sad: cannot understand why TBWNTM not worked well in Europe or US.....:dunno: he did great in Korea but Korea is just a small market for him....so US and Europe fans gotta support him much more....!!

LICM is still being sold much more than CA or Beyonce's latest album :aah::aah::aah: and TBWNTM NEVER falls down from chart top 5 from september 2009 :mf_rosetinted::biggrin2::biggrin2:

GREAT news!!! thanks for posting girls:thumb_yello:

I think he'll finish 2nd album after this festivals....:sad: cannot understand why TBWNTM not worked well in Europe or US.....:dunno: he did great in Korea but Korea is just a small market for him....so US and Europe fans gotta support him much more....!!

*Agrees*

Wow, both albums are diong really great in Korea, yeah.. I don't even know if there's a chart or not in my country. Charting isn't that popular here.. :sad: