I wish Mika were openly gay

Toy Boy 88

I know it may sound selfish, but if Mika were to disclose his sexuality, I think he would create a very positive perception of gay men in the music industry.

However, I also like fact that he's comfortable enough with his sexuality that he's unbothered by what people think.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it may sound selfish, but if Mika were to disclose his sexuality, I think he would create a very positive perception of gay men in the music industry.

However, I also like fact that he's comfortable enough with his sexuality that he's unbothered by what people think.

I think it's great that some gay people in public life are happy to discuss their sexuality in public - it is much better than having to keep things secret, and provides role models for young people growing up.

But I do not want to live in a world where everone is required to declare their sexuality - it's nobody's business but theirs, and the world is complicated, feelings change, emotions are not straightforward.

I wouldn't want Mika to be defined as "a gay artist" (even if it were true - we don't know) as if that was the only interesting thing about him. No artist is ever labelled a "straight artist" - labels are used by the media to keep people in their place. They get in the way of legitimate appreciation of the music.

I'm glad Mika is as private as he is - so the music can speak for him :thumb_yello:

"I think it's great that some gay people in public life are happy to discuss their sexuality in public - it is much better than having to keep things secret, and provides role models for young people growing up.

But I do not want to live in a world where everone is required to declare their sexuality - it's nobody's business but theirs, and the world is complicated, feelings change, emotions are not straightforward.

I wouldn't want Mika to be defined as "a gay artist" (even if it were true - we don't know) as if that was the only interesting thing about him. No artist is ever labelled a "straight artist" - labels are used by the media to keep people in their place. They get in the way of legitimate appreciation of the music.

I'm glad Mika is as private as he is - so the music can speak for him "

Well said Naectegale!

I wouldn't find better words.

I do understand your point of view , but as others have said Mika don't want to emphasis on his personal life , but on his music ! We all know how promoting his personal life to the public can be dangerous for an artist , how his private life can be used and abused by media to entertain the public. And for me , even though I myself am gay , it doesn't make any difference. I don't like Mika because he is ( is he actualy ?? :teehee: ) gay but I've been in love with his music since I first heard Grace Kelly...so it's not a big deal for me. Incidently : Elton John is gay , so is Rufus Wainwright ! Has the perception of gay men in music industry changed ? I don't think so...

Finally an interesting topic to wake up to this morning...:thumb_yello:

There are many sides to this and I will follow with a longer post later on, but first let me just say that it would be great if this thread did not turn into an argument into whether Mika is or is not gay but rather focus on the question if famous gay people /musicians should come out or not...

PS: Naectegale, I loved your post:wink2:

deep down i think we all want to know, but the end of the day who cares we love mika for who and what he does. im gay too but not alot of my friends dont know as i think its my life and what i like. we are in 2009 not 1809. :biggrin2:

I find it interesting that my Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :wub2: , Mr Mercury was "straight" when he started in the music business then very soon discovered he was gay .. and never openly came out,he wouldnt discuss it and why should he? .. he was possibly the greatest performer of all time and didnt distract in any way from what he was.

For me I like that , I like that he doesnt say and it adds some "mistique" to who he was.

For Mika ... I hope he doesnt , thats his call end of the day , I dont think Mika coming out (if he is gay) would really matter , would it make him a role model?

Finally an interesting topic to wake up to this morning...:thumb_yello:

There are many sides to this and I will follow with a longer post later on, but first let me just say that it would be great if this thread did not turn into an argument into whether Mika is or is not gay but rather focus on the question if famous gay people /musicians should come out or not...

PS: Naectegale, I loved your post:wink2:

This is a very interesting issue. I love many things generally related to gay culture, but I would imagine artists want to be defined by their music and not their sexuality. On the other hand, as a fan I enjoy seeing Mika more relaxed in publicity (about this issue).

And what I just wrote was very poor English, sorry... :aah: I hope you could understand it.

Nectar, loved your post too :wink2:

I find it interesting that my Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :wub2: , Mr Mercury was "straight" when he started in the music business then very soon discovered he was gay .. and never openly came out,he wouldnt discuss it and why should he? .. he was possibly the greatest performer of all time and didnt distract in any way from what he was.

For me I like that , I like that he doesnt say and it adds some "mistique" to who he was.

For Mika ... I hope he doesnt , thats his call end of the day , I dont think Mika coming out (if he is gay) would really matter , would it make him a role model?

I think Freddie illustrates my point that people shouldn't have to "declare" their sexuality & that it is not a clear-cut issue. For Freddie there was a (visible to his friends) shift from "straight" to "gay" but it was never straightforward - was he genuinly straight or just confused or just experimenting? how far did he shift? If he was gay, why did he have so strong a relationship with Mary Austen that he left her the bulk of his estate? Only Freddie could say what his instincts and motivations were at any given time in his life, and even then he may not have been certain himself.

Sticking simple labels on complex people is a waste of time.:thumb_yello:

I don't believe in putting a lot of pressure on gay men to come out, but it's people who do more than they "have to" that I tend to respect- so if Mika's gay, I'd think more highly of him if he came out. I also think the mystery is a bit pointless even, if the desire for secrecy is affecting his songwriting, damaging.

Yet, as there are a lot of openly gay men about these days, if he's straight, he would be much more valuable as a role model, to (I think) quite a few young men. showing them that straight men don't have to conform to the sterotype. Some of the WAG threads on here seem to suggest that if a guy can dance he must be gay. (Did we learn nothing from Billy Elliot? Were we perhaps distracted by the beautiful shots of Middlesbrough?) Ditto if he likes fancy clothes or giggles. Yet there have been plenty of times in the past- the seventies, the Regency- where those have all been the norm for straight men.

Also (as an aside) if he's straight but taken for gay, even by has fanclub, what a lot of interesting things he's got to write about!

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I'd quite like to quote these two...

I think Mika should do what he likes. If he wants to keep it private then he should keep it private, I respect that. I won't pry. I won't judge. I won't nick-pick. Mika is Mika. That's all I need to know.

Has anyone ever felt the need to tell everyone they were openly straight?

Suzy, LOVE your post :wub2:

he never denied being gay.and never said he was straight. but is it really necessary to say"i sleep with boys/girls."

if i was gay and totally happy with it or i was straight, i would never be comfortable to say with whom i prefer to sleep with. it's just personal:aah:

you can still be whatever you want without saying it out loud in public.i don't even see "coming out" as "coming to terms with your sexuality":dunno:

he's dropping enough clues anyway,doesn't he?:wink2:

Has anyone ever felt the need to tell everyone they were openly straight?

:roftl::thumb_yello:

I can only say whatever floats his boat.

To me personally, (I don't know how often I said it during the last 28 months :roftl:) nothing would change if he publicly announced that he's gay.

But then I'm straight and to be honest, I have no idea about what it would mean to the gay community or any gay or bi or otherwise non straight individual if he did so. Thus I'm probably not really entitled to discuss it here. :dunno:

However, I wouldn't want to see him become political or activist. I prefer him as an artist with the mission to brighten up people's faces without carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. There's the Bob Geldofs and Bonos for that. Let him be just MIKA for now. Only my opinion, of course.

I take back everything I've said recently about sharing opinions on a public forum in a friendly way and hope this thread will disappear as fast as it was created.

If this is Mika's official fan club forum, I want threads to be approved by DA MIKA before they appear on line. And this is my official opinion on the matter.

Sire, feel free to slap me publicly or privately. *makes curtsey*

Now I'm off to lunch before I eat the keyboard out of anger.

he never denied being gay.and never said he was straight. but is it really necessary to say"i sleep with boys/girls."

if i was gay and totally happy with it or i was straight, i would never be comfortable to say with whom i prefer to sleep with. it's just personal:aah:

you can still be whatever you want without saying it out loud in public.i don't even see "coming out" as "coming to terms with your sexuality":dunno:

he's dropping enough clues anyway,doesn't he?:wink2:

It's not necessary for him to say anything to the general public. Only if I was about to be in a relationship with him (not very likely, I admit, since I'm old enough to be his mother :teehee:) would I have any "right" to know about his preferences. Otherwise, it's his business who he tells, and when, and how much is exposed in the public arena.

I'm interested in him as a performer, not as a soap opera character. I simply don't need to know all the personal stuff, if he doesn't want to tell me.

I take back everything I've said recently about sharing opinions on a public forum in a friendly way and hope this thread will disappear as fast as it was created.

If this is Mika's official fan club forum, I want threads to be approved by DA MIKA before they appear on line. And this is my official opinion on the matter.

Sire, feel free to slap me publicly or privately. *makes curtsey*

Now I'm off to lunch before I eat the keyboard out of anger.

Why are you angry? is it because of the original question or because of an answer?

It is his choice what he's doing with /in his private life or at his house

and he also said something like "Single in public home something else "at a show

I want him to be happy with whoever he is or he shares his bed with :thumb_yello:

I do understand why it is so important for gay people, particularly young ones, that they have role models not only for society to understand them but also for themselves: to be able to accept themselves... I know Western society is more acceptable now but it is not the case in other parts of the world or in certain cultures and religions ... I imagine for someone growing up in a non-accepting environment it is extremely difficult to come out even to their families and friends, especially if they cannot reference their ’condition’ to well-known and respected people... At the same time, they might have even met comments even before they knew they were gay, like being called a sissy..etc. ...as there are always the thugs who ’know’...

I really can’t imagine what can be replied to such comments except for ’Why you staring? Do you think that you know? I am not what you think I am. I am golden’ I mean, that’s the best possible reply I can think of at the moment...:cool:

I think having to hide one’s sexuality must be frustrating in itself and I don’t judge people on their decision to do so... However, getting married and having a family is another matter – a sign of weakness, probably – and one shouldn’t forget that several people might be hurt eventually.

Anyway, I apply this rule for famous people coming out as well...

If a musician thinks they run the risk of being ignored or even banned in certain parts of the world if they ’come out’, I fully support the decision they keep their private life private. Such statements might even interfere with people’s interpretations of songs and art, whilst if the audience in theory knows nothing, there is more guarantee of free association. However, if one uses clear gay references it is basically ’admitting’ it – though I hate this word, as it has a negative connotation. I prefer to say that I like it when someone references their own identity in subtle ways so that it is interpreted based on the intellectual level of the listener, meaning that the audience usually believes only what they want to believe... and that’s the beauty of it.

:wub2:

ive got to agree i would like to know if he was gay , my gaydar says he`s gay but it could be an act ... if he did come out he could lose a many fans just for being gay !

*worships Freddie's paragraph about Freddie M*

Just to add to what you said if Mika came out...

It certainly wouldn't make him a role model, however some well meaning person or people may want to push him to support a cause relating to gay people (like gay marriage... which I know is legal in the UK, but it's the most relevant thing I can think of that gay people in Australia have been campaigning for :dunno:... I'm sure you get the idea)...

Personally, my thoughts on his sexuality don't really matter (I will say that I have my suspicions, but they don't really matter)... I just don't think it would be fair if people came up to him as soon as he came out wanting him to be the new poster boy for gay people... if he wanted to be the poster boy for gay people, then good on him... :biggrin2: