"Mercury rising": Mika on Vanity Fair October 2009 from Mikasounds

mari62

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sick of Mika being compared to other people, and his music being compared to other peoples' as well!

Well, I don't mind if they compare him to Freddie Mercury or his music to early Elton John or George Michael in general - I fully understand that and it is a compliment.

However, comparing particular songs to certain others without any recognisable similarity makes absolutely no sense and is just stupid.

That Dutch DJ who leaked the album compared Rain to Spice Girls music on a tv show...:blink:

:shocked:

Wonder where that came from... pop like Spice Girls and not rock like Guns N' Roses or what is the base of the comparison?

:blink:

Harmonies of Father Figure in I See You?????

Someone needs to clean their ears :cool: - otherwise nice review

Thanks for posting it:thumb_yello:

:flowers2:

I've already pointed it out to you once- forget which thread it was- in the audio section I think. First time I heard the snippet I thought it was a sample

Is this the UK vanity fair or the US?

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I've already pointed it out to you once- forget which thread it was- in the audio section I think

....thought you meant Touches You and I replied it was more like IWYS:teehee:...

Let's clarify, shall we?

So which part of FF for which part of I See You?:blink:

I've already pointed it out to you once- forget which thread it was- in the audio section I think. First time I heard the snippet I thought it was a sample

Is this the UK vanity fair or the US?

....thought you meant Touches You and I replied it was more like IWYS:teehee:...

Let's clarify, shall we?

So which part of FF for which part of I See You?:blink:

Sorry- got confused- think it must be Touches You they're thinking of too!

Sorry- got confused- think it must be Touches You they're thinking of too!

I think George Michael is written all over on Touches You :teehee: ....

It is the lyrics, the music, the effects, the 'story'.. everything.:naughty:

I wouldn't point on any particular song though (or if I had to, it would be IWYS,) because my impression derives from several GM songs...

... it's like Grace Kelly sounding like a Queen record.. you can't say which Q song because it is not about one particular melody, it is the built up of the song... :wink2:

I think George Michael is written all over on Touches You :teehee: ....

It is the lyrics, the music, the effects, the 'story'.. everything.:naughty:

I wouldn't point on any particular song though (or if I had to, it would be IWYS,) because my impression derives from several GM songs...

... it's like Grace Kelly sounding like a Queen record.. you can't say which Q song because it is not about one particular melody, it is the built up of the song... :wink2:

Well, seriously, with Touches You I thought it was a sample at first. I might not be able to arge it logically, but that was my first impression, and I suspect it might have been VF's

Well, seriously, with Touches You I thought it was a sample at first. I might not be able to arge it logically, but that was my first impression, and I suspect it might have been VF's

what is VF?:blink:

I think I would have recognised if it was a sample:teehee:

thanks for posting :thumb_yello:

Thanks for posting it:thumb_yello:

:flowers2:

hahahahhaha

:roftl:

i listened the live version of I See You and it`s fantastic :fangurl:

but the "father figure" thing is quite funny :naughty:

thank you marina:thumb_yello:

love how he says that he writes honest songs:wub2:

haha thats what i thought too when i read this!

Thanks for posting Mari! :wink2:

I'm actually really upset with what is written in this short article. :mad:

I think that it is quite insulting to MIKA actually: "creepy ballads"?! WTF?! "Another World" and "Erase" may be intense lyrically, but they are certainly not creepy by any measure.

And the whole "Father Figure" business?! I'm the first to admit that I don't have the most musical of ears, but I just listened to FF and am listening to "I See You" as I type this, and I hear NO SIMILARITIES whatsoever, NONE.

The only good thing about this article, insofar as I'm concerned, is the picture they chose of MIKA. He looks SOOO GOOD in it! :mf_lustslow:

EDIT: I got so hung up on all the negativity in this article, that I did not notice the nice words written about TBWKTM: "addictive, upbeat pop anthems". That's pretty good!

Edited by The Dragon Lady
I wanted to add a precision to what I've already written.