The "what am I doing with my life?" thread

Wow...it looks like I'm not the only one who wants to travel and eventually end up in England. Could Mika be a factor? :roftl:

I'm also not the only writer here, it seems. I've been looking into journalism, but I'm not sure--hence why the three years I have to live in the UK before I can go to Uni there would be pretty beneficial for me, I think. I love writing, but I love singing more...and unfortunately I also love money a lot. The three don't really overlap. I'm scared of committing because it would mean that I'd have to give one or even two up, potentially for good. So...I'll set up a UK home address, then up and go around the world for three years and hopefully gain some insight along the way.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know it's not rocket science, but a bit of first hand experience wouldn't go amiss, I think LOL.

I do not in any way disagree with that :biggrin2:

In fact, I've got high hopes for my future education in that regard :naughty:

I wasn't necessarily thinking of writing about places as in...countries or whatever (though it's a good excuse to have a holiday LOL) I was thinking more like events that take place round the country. Maybe I could have written my perspective about Fashion Week, or V Festival, or ... WHATEVER :aah:

Journalism might actually be a good avenue for you. It isn't just about reporting the news. Most newspapers have an Arts section devoted to write ups and reviews of what's happening in the local theatres and galleries and what's going on with new music and movies.

The only reason I would ever consider going back into journalism would be to review movies/write about the local theatre scene.

Wow...it looks like I'm not the only one who wants to travel and eventually end up in England. Could Mika be a factor? :roftl:

I'm also not the only writer here, it seems. I've been looking into journalism, but I'm not sure--hence why the three years I have to live in the UK before I can go to Uni there would be pretty beneficial for me, I think. I love writing, but I love singing more...and unfortunately I also love money a lot. The three don't really overlap. I'm scared of committing because it would mean that I'd have to give one or even two up, potentially for good. So...I'll set up a UK home address, then up and go around the world for three years and hopefully gain some insight along the way.

Mika isn't much of a factor for me. I've wanted to be in England from the first moment of I knew it existed (right around the time I was 6.) That interest was deeply reinforced by having some pen pals in London back in the day when people still wrote letters with paper and pen and spent money to send them through the mail. My interest has grown stronger as more of my friends keep moving there and I keep meeting more people who live there. I think I would like it there. Mika is most certainly ONE factor, but not a primary factor.

Something I've learned about life is that even if you commit to one thing, you don't have to give up other things. Different things have different levels of priority at different times in our lives, but we never fully give up our passions.

Even if I pursue writing as my primary occupation, there's nothing preventing from seeking vocal work gigs that can range anywhere from singing in a community choir to getting paid to record books on tape. Ideally, I would love to get a book deal and go on tour to promote my book because I LOVE public speaking. One doesn't have to become famous to do that. One just has to earn enough readers to be worth sending on tour.

I could always start off with profession and find that my hobby takes over and becomes my profession later in life.

The thing I want to do now doesn't have the become the thing I end up doing forever unless I want it to be. Start with one thing. Get your feet under you. Then, branch out.

Journalism might actually be a good avenue for you. It isn't just about reporting the news. Most newspapers have an Arts section devoted to write ups and reviews of what's happening in the local theatres and galleries and what's going on with new music and movies.

The only reason I would ever consider going back into journalism would be to review movies/write about the local theatre scene.

Yeah, it could the opening of a new musical, or a music video or something like that. Just anything that grabbed my interest and something interesting to write about

Mika isn't much of a factor for me. I've wanted to be in England from the first moment of I knew it existed (right around the time I was 6.) That interest was deeply reinforced by having some pen pals in London back in the day when people still wrote letters with paper and pen and spent money to send them through the mail. My interest has grown stronger as more of my friends keep moving there and I keep meeting more people who live there. I think I would like it there. Mika is most certainly ONE factor, but not a primary factor.

Something I've learned about life is that even if you commit to one thing, you don't have to give up other things. Different things have different levels of priority at different times in our lives, but we never fully give up our passions.

Even if I pursue writing as my primary occupation, there's nothing preventing from seeking vocal work gigs that can range anywhere from singing in a community choir to getting paid to record books on tape. Ideally, I would love to get a book deal and go on tour to promote my book because I LOVE public speaking. One doesn't have to become famous to do that. One just has to earn enough readers to be worth sending on tour.

I could always start off with profession and find that my hobby takes over and becomes my profession later in life.

The thing I want to do now doesn't have the become the thing I end up doing forever unless I want it to be. Start with one thing. Get your feet under you. Then, branch out.

Yeah. I've wanted to move back there for the past four years anyway, since before I knew who Mika was. I just miss it all the time...and my best friend in all the world lives there...and, no offence to Canada, but it actually has a history/culture. I figured that if I were to stay in Canada, I'd be in Montreal, so if I'm gonna be on the other side of the country anyway I may as well hop the other 2000 miles. :naughty:

Look at writing for travel magazines or for something like National Geographic. There are entire companies devoted to producing travel brochures and they always need people to write copy for their pamphlets. They might be American-based, but they do exist.

Writing for any glossy magazine with a familiar name isn't going to happen for our darling CazGirl without formal journalism education and several years of experience. The big magazines want you to have an extensive collection of clippings from other publications before they'll hire you for a staff job, or even on a freelance basis. That's a fine target goal for a few years down the road, but it's definitely not something for the beginning of one's career. And travel publications are ones everyone wants to write for. You might find one that will pay you twenty pence per word to write some copy, but they won't pay for your travel expenses, etc.

The thing about journalism is that at the start, it's bitchwork. You have to work your way up while writing about all sorts of things for sh*t pay. No one walks out of school and gets a gig straightaway working for the likes of Travel + Leisure, Teen Vogue or National Geographic. Magazines like that are the cream of the crop, and it takes a lot of hard work to get to that point.

Caz, if journalism is something you're seriously considering, know this; it's not about writing. Yes, what you produce is written content; but it's all about finding sources and conducting interviews. You have to be SO good at the writing part that it comes fast and naturally, because writing the article is only the last 30%. It's all about your research and your interviews.

You have to be totally confident in interviewing strangers, figuring out which questions to ask, learning how to phrase your questions in ways that get quotable responses, and knowing when to push forward and ask the hard questions. It's not about what YOU know, it's about what your SOURCES know.

For example, for Cosmopolitan you might have to ask a sex therapist, "So, Dr. Wallins, how would you suggest a woman who has had many partners go about choosing the right vibrator?" That kind of thing. Which would translate in your article into something like "Dr. Karen Wallins, a registered sex therapist in Bristol says that women who have had many partners should "start with the biggest vibrator that doesn't frighten them, and work their way up."

If the idea of interviewing strangers freaks you out, journalism might be a struggle for you. If you love the idea and are naturally interested in people and what they have to say, then by all means, go for it.

The thing I love most about journalism is the ability to learn so much random crap about the most random subjects. I interviewed a guy not long ago who spends his life dedicated to his career; going around the world and choreographing pyrotechnics (fireworks) displays to music. How cool is that??

Let me know if you have any other questions about journalism, marketing, or PR/corporate communications. I've done all of the above. :biggrin2:

Writing for any glossy magazine with a familiar name isn't going to happen for our darling CazGirl without formal journalism education and several years of experience. The big magazines want you to have an extensive collection of clippings from other publications before they'll hire you for a staff job, or even on a freelance basis. That's a fine target goal for a few years down the road, but it's definitely not something for the beginning of one's career. And travel publications are ones everyone wants to write for. You might find one that will pay you twenty pence per word to write some copy, but they won't pay for your travel expenses, etc.

The thing about journalism is that at the start, it's bitchwork. You have to work your way up while writing about all sorts of things for sh*t pay. No one walks out of school and gets a gig straightaway working for the likes of Travel + Leisure, Teen Vogue or National Geographic. Magazines like that are the cream of the crop, and it takes a lot of hard work to get to that point.

Ain't that the truth.

Maybe an assistant or assistant editor would be a route to go? There'd still be b*tch work but it'll get that foot in the door.

That's the route I'm trying to go. I don't want my own studio yet so I'd like to assist and retouch photos. Plus the more I think about it, I don't know as if I'd want to work for one of those big named brands. From what I've heard there's just all too much pressure and some photogs will shoot for hours and hours on end trying to get one shot. Honestly, if you're good you can get that shot and not spend 10+ on it. :teehee: I've gotten a super good shot of someone within 30 minutes and that was including setting up and breaking down. :teehee:

I've figured it out! Caz and I should start our own thing. She can be the writer and I'll be the photog. :naughty:It could be a Mika-zine!!! :roftl:

Writing for any glossy magazine with a familiar name isn't going to happen for our darling CazGirl without formal journalism education and several years of experience.

I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was simply suggesting possible carreer options so that she could look into what she might want to work towards, which would include further education for large publications.

However, there are several routes to writing. Education greases the wheel, but isn't necessarily essential. Small publications tend to be less picky about education and can be an in road to more significant work later on.

I was pointing in a possibly useful direction and leaving it up to her to explore to possibilities and figure out which would work best for her.

Education is important and in many cases essential, but it is not the only way to a productive life. Without knowing which resources might be available to a person, I prefer to point out possibilities rather than imply right off the bat that what they want is impossible without specific resources because it isn't impossible. Some roads are just longer than others and some require more creative solutions to problems than others. It's all a matter of how badly you want something, which resources you have, and what you are willing (and not willing) to do to get something. There's also a huge luck factor in there, but there's plenty one can do without the kind of luck that makes people famous.

Not that I encourage instilling false hope or discourage going to school. (I strongly encourage further education, but it isn't much good if you don't know where you want to go.) I just think it's better for people to know that there are more possibilities than they might consider at first glance and that it's good to let people know that the right kind of research could lead them in a direction they didn't realize they could because all the information implied that they couldn't go there. Sometimes it's true, but more ofte than not it just means you can't take a certain road to get there. That doesn't mean there aren't other roads that lead there. It's just a matter of figuring out which roads you are able to take.

It's better to encourage people to look for roads they weren't expecting to find while they are still young so that they don't grow old thinking that they took the only road they could, only to discover that there were other roads they could have taken when they were younger if only someone had let them know that the roads were there if they looked for them.

But that has more to do with the fact that I'm cranky that I'm about to turn 35 and I'm only just now figuring out that certain roads have been open to me for a very long time and I never knew they were there because everybody was too busy pointing out the roads I couldn't take. All I needed to do was look around and find that there are plenty of roads I CAN take. If I'd have known that 10 years ago, my life would be very different.

Edited by riverstwilight

If the idea of interviewing strangers freaks you out, journalism might be a struggle for you. If you love the idea and are naturally interested in people and what they have to say, then by all means, go for it.

And even if it does freak you out, school is good place to learn if you can overcome that fear in order to do something you really love or to find out that there is something in the same field that you would love even more because it wouldn't freak you out or to find out that there is something else entirely that you love.

Your personality isn't set in stone. When you are young, you have plenty of opportunities to explore your boundaries and learn your limits and figure out what is best for you. The worst thing you can do is lock yourself into thinking that you are always going to be the person you are today and that there is only one road for you and you have choose it now and commit to it and never do anything else. Life doesn't work that way. It can if you have a driving passion for something and really want to go for it (but even then, life can throw you curve balls.)

If you get overwhelmed by the number of options, just pick one, see where it leads, and if you don't like it, try something else. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you that we have at least one thread at the moment where people actually are talking, or writing. :blush-anim-cl:

Some times/ periods can be so slow in this place *yawns*!

Mana, interesting post...yes education and the right abilities are essential, I agree!:thumb_yello:

And about writing, one of my favourite topics as you all know by know…. what is it that keeps the readers interest like some member’s posts do even if they are long, word-rich and not even about Mika?:wink2:

Caz, if journalism is something you're seriously considering, know this; it's not about writing. Yes, what you produce is written content; but it's all about finding sources and conducting interviews. You have to be SO good at the writing part that it comes fast and naturally, because writing the article is only the last 30%. It's all about your research and your interviews.

You have to be totally confident in interviewing strangers, figuring out which questions to ask, learning how to phrase your questions in ways that get quotable responses, and knowing when to push forward and ask the hard questions. It's not about what YOU know, it's about what your SOURCES know.

For example, for Cosmopolitan you might have to ask a sex therapist, "So, Dr. Wallins, how would you suggest a woman who has had many partners go about choosing the right vibrator?" That kind of thing. Which would translate in your article into something like "Dr. Karen Wallins, a registered sex therapist in Bristol says that women who have had many partners should "start with the biggest vibrator that doesn't frighten them, and work their way up."

The thing I love most about journalism is the ability to learn so much random crap about the most random subjects. I interviewed a guy not long ago who spends his life dedicated to his career; going around the world and choreographing pyrotechnics (fireworks) displays to music. How cool is that??

Let me know if you have any other questions about journalism, marketing, or PR/corporate communications. I've done all of the above. :biggrin2:

Thanks for your help Mana, you're a doll :huglove:

What sort of writing have you done? What did you love? What did you hate?

How many years did you study for?

I studied Media for 4 years and received As and Bs in English, GCSE AND A-Levels..

And about writing, one of my favourite topics as you all know by know…. what is it that keeps the readers interest like some member’s posts do even if they are long, word-rich and not even about Mika?:wink2:

Let me know if you figure that out because I still can't figure out why people read what I write :naughty:

Caz, I was thinking... a cousin of mine is a dancer, and a bit of a fitness freak... she teaches classes at a gym, so if you're interested (and fit enough to do that sort of thing :teehee:) that might be something you could do for a bit of money rather than the cinema :dunno:... The main thing is to think about something you're gonna enjoy for a long time, something you can advance in and lean more in and most importantly, something you will enjoy!

Me... Well, I went to uni for 4 years and have a teaching degree, and have also completed a cert 3 and almost done a cert 4 in IT (Support and Websites)... Funnily enough, I have been "offered" a job working in a school getting laptops that the government gives out organised and will have to monitor them and stuff...

And I put offered in speech marks cause they're pushing my start date for work back because I apparently need to get a medical assessment done to make sure I will have all the resources I need (if they saw me, they'd realise that I don't need resources, except for a camp stretcher, pillow and blanket for a nap, and letting me work 3 days a week to start)... But that's the way the government works, and isn't really the point of this thread, sorry! :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks for your help Teegs, but I'd rather not teach, for I do not have the patience to teach people and would rather be a dancer rather than teach others how to do it...but I can't be a dancer anyway...so am thinking of Journalism! :thumb_yello:

I'm interested in teaching insofar as I love discussing things with people - which is why I'd love to go into lecturing in Philosophy - the 'kids' are between 17 and 23, as well as mature students, and it's more like having discussions than teaching a class (in my uni anyway, where the classes are small) - but either way they're equals, not children to be taught. So I find that quite appealing, but there's nothing else I can actually do with a Philosophy Masters if I didn't get into lecturing so I may go with the safer option (English).

Thanks for your help Teegs, but I'd rather not teach, for I do not have the patience to teach people and would rather be a dancer rather than teach others how to do it...but I can't be a dancer anyway...so am thinking of Journalism! :thumb_yello:

Why can't you be a dancer?

My mum thinks I should get a job singing on cruise ships. I think she may have presented me with a stroke of genius--especially since it pays rather extortionately, apparently. :biggrin2:

Why can't you be a dancer?

My mum thinks I should get a job singing on cruise ships. I think she may have presented me with a stroke of genius--especially since it pays rather extortionately, apparently. :biggrin2:

I'm too short. Best I could get is costume character work at Disney. Travlling = yes Disneyland = yes Costume Character = no thanks.

My sister is a dancer and she danced on cruise ships. The money wasn't bad but since she wasn't a singer, I don't know how much they get paid.

I'm too short. Best I could get is costume character work at Disney. Travlling = yes Disneyland = yes Costume Character = no thanks.

My sister is a dancer and she danced on cruise ships. The money wasn't bad but since she wasn't a singer, I don't know how much they get paid.

Seriously? That's just stupid. I mean, it doesn't compromise your ability, does it? What about ballet? You don't have to be tall for that, do you? Then again, i have no idea. I'm short too and that just pisses me off. :sneaky2:

Well, i actually have no idea what it pays. That's just what someone told me. :naughty:

Seriously? That's just stupid. I mean, it doesn't compromise your ability, does it? What about ballet? You don't have to be tall for that, do you? Then again, i have no idea. I'm short too and that just pisses me off. :sneaky2:

Well, i actually have no idea what it pays. That's just what someone told me. :naughty:

My sister, the dancer, is only an inch taller than I am and work is hard. This one time she got a job, was rehearsing on stage when the main guy saw the show being rehearsed and told others to sack her because of her height.

Sometimes you can go to an audition and get picked out before you dance. They could line you up, pick out a few people and say goodbye to the others. They could have turned down the best performers, but if they're looking for a certain look, then it's gonna happen.

BIOTG is a good example. Look at all the dancers - same height, same look.

My sister, the dancer, is only an inch taller than I am and work is hard. This one time she got a job, was rehearsing on stage when the main guy saw the show being rehearsed and told others to sack her because of her height.

Sometimes you can go to an audition and get picked out before you dance. They could line you up, pick out a few people and say goodbye to the others. They could have turned down the best performers, but if they're looking for a certain look, then it's gonna happen.

BIOTG is a good example. Look at all the dancers - same height, same look.

Argh. :mad3: The world has no sympathy for us tinies. But you seem to love it a lot, so please don't totally give up on it...it makes me sad when passionate people take other paths.

I'm soon 18 years old, and my biggest dream in life is to become an actress! But I have a problem which is that I don't have much experience because this is something I’ve just “discovered”, and here in Norway it’s only two schools where you can educate to become an actress, and both those schools only take in about 8 students each year. So the chances for me to get in to one of those schools are pretty small to be honest, and I think it’s difficult to find a good school somewhere outside my own country without travelling there, and that is something I don’t have the right economy to do… Is there someone who has an idea of what I can do to make my dream come true? Because this is something I really want to do every day for the rest of my life! :thumb_yello:

Argh. :mad3: The world has no sympathy for us tinies. But you seem to love it a lot, so please don't totally give up on it...it makes me sad when passionate people take other paths.

dancing is just one passion of mine. I have loads of others.

I'm soon 18 years old, and my biggest dream in life is to become an actress! But I have a problem which is that I don't have much experience because this is something I’ve just “discovered”, and here in Norway it’s only two schools where you can educate to become an actress, and both those schools only take in about 8 students each year. So the chances for me to get in to one of those schools are pretty small to be honest, and I think it’s difficult to find a good school somewhere outside my own country without travelling there, and that is something I don’t have the right economy to do… Is there someone who has an idea of what I can do to make my dream come true? Because this is something I really want to do every day for the rest of my life! :thumb_yello:

The only thing I can think of really is to start auditioning for everything you can find. If you've got the skills, you don't need a university degree to get accepted--build up your experience and see where it leads you!

The only thing I can think of really is to start auditioning for everything you can find. If you've got the skills, you don't need a university degree to get accepted--build up your experience and see where it leads you!

the problem is that, here in Norway there aren't many auditions, and if there are, they aren't open for everyone just those who are spesial-invited. So it's difficult to do that too... It's like I feel my only option is to move to another country and try out there...