The "what am I doing with my life?" thread

Yes, we did, it was nice to meet you! :)

I mostly want to translate in the future, though I could possibly teach English or something too. My childhood dream was actually to become a professional musician :biggrin2: but I now think that I ought to make a career out of languages, and then if I ever actually complete enough of my songs (I have hundreds lying around unfinished! XD; ), perhaps I could put them up on YouTube or something LOL. :)

You do music too? You should definitely finish your songs and let us hear them!

Hey! Cool thread!

So I'm in my 3rd year of university now, studying French and English languages and literatures. I love it :D

Next year, if my parents allow it and if I'm accepted in the programme, I'm going to teach French as a language assistant, in England. For one year. :D I've been wanting to do that for over 2 years now. I want to improve my English. I want to work in England cause I love this country. And I want to acquire experience in teaching, cause it's what I want to do; become a high school teacher (and teach English and French, obviously).

After my year abroad (if I can do it of course mwa ha), I'm going to do my Masters in English and French literatures. Write my Masters paper in English hehe! And after that, I have to attend a "high school of teaching" (that sucks, but I need to attend it in order to become a teacher). Eventually, I can start looking for a job in a high school!! :D

I've always wanted to become a teacher, so for me it's never been hard to find my goal in life :original:

@Caz: I don't know how it works in England, but here in Switzerland, you can talk to professionals if you have no clue about what you want to do in life. It's called like "professional orientation". You talk to someone and they will ask you questions about what you like to do, what you dislike etc... and try to help you find a job you might want to do :original: My brother went there, and it helped him :thumb_yello:

I can definitely see you as a teacher! Oh, I envy people who know what to do with their life, I still don't know, as my age... :biggrin2:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in my 2nd year of university and I'm studying kinesiology and I have loads of massage courses ,biomechanics ( where we learn all the muscles and parts of the human body),biochemistry, psychology ,history and other subjects concerning these kind of stuff .

I'm seeing myself helping people ,especially kids with disabilities or in a gym or fitness club I'm not seeing myself in a hospital

awwwwwwwww

Kinesiology is amazing :wub2:

biochemistry :fangurl:

i LOVE chemistry :mf_lustslow: but i can`t see myself working in a factory or a lab :boxed:

My greatest aspiration in life is to travel the world.

I want to visit as many places as I possibly can. Have my passport full of stamps and visas. Just to experience as much as I can.

I'm going to do that one day. I promise.

Don't laugh.

I want to visit as many places as I possibly can. Have my passport full of stamps and visas. Just to experience as much as I can.

Don't laugh.

That's my plan too kinda :naughty:

High5 :roftl:

@Riverstwilight: I studied Philosophy of Mind, Science and Free Will, hence my interest in physics and particularly the probabalistic nature of quantum physics versus the deterministic nature of all larger systems.

Yes, I definitely like your brain :wub2:

Topics I can't get enough of:

religion

philosophy

physics

quantum physics/mechanics

social systems (esp gender issues)

entymology (I think that's how it's spelled)

semantics

grammar

To a lesser degree:

communication

psychology

sociology

I am especially happy when any combination of those fields overlap. I have been arguing with myself about what I want to major in since I was 13 because I want to study all of those things. Fortunately, most of my friends have turned out to be people with giant brains who happily share their knowledge with me. Thus the highest compliment I know how to give anybody is, "I would like to eat your brain."

I think I settled on English as a major so that I could learn to write well about any and all of those subjects.

People whose brains I would like to eat:

all of my friends

any engineer

Mika

Neil Gaiman

Joss Whedon

Jonathan Coulton

etc.

Edited by riverstwilight

Yes, I definitely like your brain :wub2:

Topics I can't get enough of:

religion

philosophy

physics

quantum physics/mechanics

social systems (esp gender issues)

entymology (I think that's how it's spelled)

semantics

grammar

I am especially happy when any combination of those fields overlap. I have been arguing with myself about what I want to major in since I was 13 because I want to study all of those things. Fortunately, most of my friends have turned out to be people with giant brains who happily share their knowledge with me. Thus the highest compliment I know how to give anybody is, "I would like to eat your brain."

It's the overlap I love. In first year I studied Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and English (literature, mainly). In second and third year I did a joint honours in Philosophy and English Lit. But I still love the overlaps, in my opinion nobody can ever be an expert in psychology, physics, biology, philosophy or sociology without dipping into the other areas - they're all just different ways of looking at exactly the same thing. No one will ever be enough. I similarly want to study a multitude of areas in great detail but due to a lack of funds I've settled for the buying the books and teaching myself. I like astrophysics as much as quantum physics - I actually have no interest in regular physics, it's the stuff we CAN'T see that I like :biggrin2:

Regarding grammar and communication - I'm a grammar nazi (usually) but beyond that I don't care, except I would that it were proper to speak as people once did in jolly ole England. :naughty: I can't get enough of Jane Austen (chicklit, I know) for the way they speak and the sarcastic humor.

Religion - meh. I have little to say on Religion beyond defining the difference between organized Religion and faith, the former being stupid and corrupt, and the latter being a matter of opinion at best, but irrelevant realistically. I don't know why people get so uptight about God and the afterlife - the only thing certain in life is that we will all die, better to get over your fear now and live this life to it's fullest coz you ain't getting another chance. (See any science book for further details.)

If I could do anything with my life, I'd go back to college over and over until I was about 40 to learn everything in every area I love :naughty:

Right thread for me! Pretty much because I have no idea what am I doing.:boxed:

I'm stuck. Big time. At the age of 27. :aah:

So this is my anthem these days :naughty::aah:

biochemistry :fangurl:

:

:shocked: are you sure? and serious?

that was complete nightmare for me...all those cycles in metabolism :boxed: I would learn and learn and than forget them in two blinks of an eye :aah:

It's the overlap I love.

Me too! That's why I've just applied to a school with an interdisciplinary program that focuses on the overlaps. My friend graduated from there and has promised me a campus tour when she comes up for a visit in January.

I like astrophysics as much as quantum physics - I actually have no interest in regular physics, it's the stuff we CAN'T see that I like :biggrin2:

I like knowing how things work, especially the relationships between things.

I'm a very relational thinker both in the sense that I love relationships and in the sense that most things get connected up in a web in my brain. I have many arguments with my friend, who is a linear thinker (as most people are), because she keeps expecting me to focus on one thread of the thought web right at the point where it's connected with about ten other threads and I keep telling her that it isn't that simple. Well it is, but it isn't. We have a lot of fun trying to agree.

Religion - meh. I have little to say on Religion beyond defining the difference between organized Religion and faith, the former being stupid and corrupt, and the latter being a matter of opinion at best, but irrelevant realistically.

That is a vast oversimplification, but certainly a valid perspective within the context of the way we use language these days.

I have a ceaseless passion for religion because of what it means to people and how it contributes to culture and how people express a variety of things. Extremism would and does exist without religion. Religion is just the most volatile and common of the topics it's applied to. While religion and faith can be two separate things, neither would exist without the other because at the earliest stage of our developement, there would have been nothing to have faith in without religion and there would be no way for religion to develop if we did not have faith in something ("we" as a species, not "we" as a modern people.)

I love my own journey through the topics as well as the communal aspects of journeying through those topics within the context of a social group. If it didn't mean anything, people wouldn't kill each other over it.

The stupidity and corruption exists within people, not within the topic, but because it exists within people, it gets projected onto the topic and the topic gets twisted into a social system designed to oppress others "for their own good". But that ties in with social systems in general because of how people oppress each other for a variey of reasons, many of which are so deeply accepted as reality that people don't even do it consciously. It's "just the way the world works, man." Well, it is and it isn't.

I love religion for all of the ways that it overlaps with culture, power structures, art, literature, history, etc. It is a vastly rich field of study whether one focuses on one religion in particular or one studies comparative religions.

If I could do anything with my life, I'd go back to college over and over until I was about 40 to learn everything in every area I love :naughty:

40? I couldn't learn everything I wanted to know if I lived to be 100 and spent every day of that time in school. I've just had to content myself with learning as much as I can whenever and wherever I get the opportunity to add something new to my thought web, which isn't so much a widely spaced garden web as a tightly woven cobweb....and it's SO TINY compared to all there is to know.

Knowledge sponge, indeed.

Don't laugh.

I'd love to do the same!

Okay, since teen magazines failed rather epically, I decided to look at other magazines for an older target audience. So I was flicking through some in WHSmith today and a lot of them are just about celebrities (i.e Jordan feuds with ex-hubby Pete! AGAIN! For the gazillionth time this month! We CAN'T get enough! *VOMIT*) and so I thought...okay, I REALLY don't want to do that.

And then I looked through magazines that are for ... more upper class women, shall we say. You know the kind; those big hefty magazines that cost about a fiver and have a ton of adverts in them.

I'd like to write, but not about people necessarily, but about things, experiences and stuff like that...but most of the articles in these hefty magazines are about relationships and sex or whatever...basically stuff I'm really inexperienced in :naughty:

So I flicked through "company" magazine for a last shot of inspiration...and I think I found it. I was just losing hope when I saw a couple of pages about Fashion Week.

And then it hit me.

Metaphorically.

Why couldn't I go to places or events and write about them? Like...like a blog I guess, but you know, get PAID for it? Think about last September for example when all that Mika stuff happened. That would have been an amazing write up.

Hello everyone. What am I doing with my life?

Not much really. The computer went wrong this weekend. I've just had to re log into Mika fanclub. I was walking to the bathroom and I fell in the floor. How does that sound?

It sucks.:aah::aah:

Hello everyone. What am I doing with my life?

Not much really. The computer went wrong this weekend. I've just had to re log into Mika fanclub. I was walking to the bathroom and I fell in the floor. How does that sound?

It sucks.:aah::aah:

CLAAAAAARRREEEE :huglove:

welcome back! *pats on head*

but most of the articles in these hefty magazines are about relationships and sex or whatever...basically stuff I'm really inexperienced in :naughty:

Given the way they tend to write, they aren't any more experienced than you are. Not that I am, but I've studied up enough to know when other people are full of it. It's biology and chemistry, not rocket science. :bleh:

Why couldn't I go to places or events and write about them? Like...like a blog I guess, but you know, get PAID for it?

Look at writing for travel magazines or for something like National Geographic. There are entire companies devoted to producing travel brochures and they always need people to write copy for their pamphlets. They might be American-based, but they do exist.

Have you ever considered journalism? You could be a correspondent that travels around to get the news in other places.

That is a vast oversimplification, but certainly a valid perspective within the context of the way we use language these days.

By organised religion, I mean the political instution of the church. By faith, I mean belief in anything we don't have even the tiniest bit of scientific evidence or logic to promote, and more specifically, faith in things that go against all laws of science. Like the Flying Spaghetti Monster. He's as close to a God as I need, for he mocks Creationists.

I love religion for all of the ways that it overlaps with culture, power structures, art, literature, history, etc. It is a vastly rich field of study whether one focuses on one religion in particular or one studies comparative religions.

Religious influence in things is fine, but personally, I believe in science. I'm not even saying science is right - I CHOOSE to believe it is. Therefore, FOR ME, religious belief is negated and all I can tolerate is 'I believe there's *something*', coz I had that feeling once too. Then I read some books and took Philosophy classes. I'm from a Catholic country and was raised Catholic, so I know nothing about other religions except if my god told me to wear certain clothes I'd tell him to piss off.

40? I couldn't learn everything I wanted to know if I lived to be 100 and spent every day of that time in school.

By the time I hit 40 I'd forget the earlier stuff, and would have to start over. I'm studying loads at the moment, especially Archaeoastronomy as I think that's fascinating. Anything anthropological, historical, archaeological etc I also love.

Given the way they tend to write, they aren't any more experienced than you are. Not that I am, but I've studied up enough to know when other people are full of it. It's biology and chemistry, not rocket science. :bleh:

Look at writing for travel magazines or for something like National Geographic. There are entire companies devoted to producing travel brochures and they always need people to write copy for their pamphlets. They might be American-based, but they do exist.

Have you ever considered journalism? You could be a correspondent that travels around to get the news in other places.

Oh I know it's not rocket science, but a bit of first hand experience wouldn't go amiss, I think LOL.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of writing about places as in...countries or whatever (though it's a good excuse to have a holiday LOL) I was thinking more like events that take place round the country. Maybe I could have written my perspective about Fashion Week, or V Festival, or ... WHATEVER :aah: