The "what am I doing with my life?" thread

I wonder if we were trying for any of the same cities. I was trying for everything from the East Coast over to Texas.

Nope, I'm a northwest girl :biggrin2:

I need cities that feel like small towns, preferably with mountains/water nearby. Missoula, Montana was the first place I've ever called "home", so I'm aiming for that feeling.

Vancouver, BC feels like home, but moving to another country poses all kinds of interesting challenges, I'm not quite ready for, but it's high on my list of ultimate destinations (London because second, but that's because that's where most of my friends ended up.)

So, Portland, OR and Salt Lake City, UT are my top two contenders with Seattle being my backup. Even though a bunch of my friends live there, I really don't want to. I hate Seattle. I've never really been able to articulate why. It just doesn't agree with me.

I like Portland, but I'm not in love with it the way I am Vancouver. Next month, I'll find out how I feel about Salt Lake when I visit my friend for my birthday.

People say I should go where I'll find a job I love, but I'd rather work a job I hate in a place I love than a job I love in a place I hate. It's deeply important for me to feel good when I'm outside. Otherwise, I feel like I'm suffocating. No job can make up for the lack of air.

The MOST I know about astrology is what it says on the placemats when you go to dinner at a Chinese Restaurant! :roftl: I am an Aquarius . . . on the Chinese calendar . . I am a Snake - and it is completely ME. So go figure. :naughty:

Not only do I know that I'm tiger, but I know that I am a wood tiger. I don't really know what it means, but it sounds cool. Wood plus water equals growing things :biggrin2:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the characteristic traits are also mine. Loyalty, stubborness, wariness, short temper, determination, being logic-based, but passionate and all of these things to a fault. :naughty:

Also, while I reckon astrology is a load of cobblers, I love being a Scorpio, and I think it's the most kick-arse starsign :naughty:

ME TOO! :biggrin2:

*sneaks in*

I'm being contrary by annoncing that I think star signs are a load of bullcr*p.

:cheerful_h4h:

Astrology IS a load of crap. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to take some, like, science classes or something.

But I still like my starsign.

Uhh... Evolution? Evolution is the best explanation out there... but I won't argue, unless you turn around and mention Creationism, at which point I'm leaving this thread to rant somewhere I can't get banned, about how much I hate Religion. :naughty:

Uhh... Evolution? Evolution is the best explanation out there... but I won't argue, unless you turn around and mention Creationism, at which point I'm leaving this thread to rant somewhere I can't get banned, about how much I hate Religion. :naughty:

I'm not going to turn all Christian on you, dont worry :roftl:

I don't think Evolution is the best explanation; i think both creation and evolution are religions. (i'm still looking for the best explanation) for two scientifical reasons.

This is my reasoning;

The first law of thermodynamics states "that energy can be transformed (changed from one form to another), but cannot be created or destroyed."

Then how did stuff start evolving if energy cannot be created? it doesnt make sense from a scientifical perspective.

Evolution also states that the whole world 'came from a high-density spinning dot that exploded and started the evolutionary process"

If the whole universe cam from a spinning dot, why do some planets spin in different directions? Why do some MOONS from one planet go in different directions?

I could go on all day about the flaws in both evolution and christianity. Thats why its stupid to put evolution in science, when the two have nothing to do with each other. Science is TESTING and EXPERIMENTING, not trying to prove a theory.

I think when push comes to shove, they're both religions and both have religious followers who are completely blinded to the flaws :dunno:

My cousin actually made a good point about evolution the other day he said why monkeys don't become human now? and why some did and some didn't?

Eaasy :roftl:

Racinghorse: Okay like I said, I'm not arguing with you, coz to be honest I've already let rip about religion in schools, homophobia, racism and the general idiocy of the human race on two forums, facebook and with my brother at no one in particular TODAY ALONE. I'm agitated and in no mood to argue. Also it's 4am here.

Evolution doesn't require additional energy. I may well get into trouble for saying this, but anyone born with Downs Syndrome, Siamese twins, etc and any other malformations or disabilities in their genetic make up is essentially the kind of mutation that occurs from time to time. It's like those animals that are born with extra limbs or whatever. It happens constantly - and the weaker mutatations die out (in nature, anyway, not in the human world of medicine and superb care), while the stronger ones live on and eventually outlive their predecessors, as they become the dominant form of species. It's not like Pikachu evolving into Raichu, and it doesn't expend any additional energy.

Regarding the Big Bang - they do say they don't know for sure in fairness, but it's better than 'And on the first day, He created Light!' or whatever, so I'm willing to hear them out. In fairness, when the Large Hadron Collider does it's thing in a few years, if the world doesn't get sucked into a black hole (it won't, that's hype) we may be a little closer to understanding the 95ish% of energy we actually can't understand just yet, dark energy and so on. :wink2: As well as that, I'd rather follow a theory that largely works and has a few holes, than 'God happened.' We don't know everything, but that's no reason to dismiss the largely accurate discoveries of science. I prefer to pick a side and learn about it - if everyone sat back and believed nothing the race would end up even stupider than it already is.

My cousin actually made a good point about evolution the other day he said why monkeys don't become human now? and why some did and some didn't?

Eaasy :roftl:

That's not a good point, that's not knowing anything about evolution. Why some did and why some didn't? Because that's how they evolved! It's chance, luck, genetics, trial and error in mutations. Also, it takes place over a VERY VERY long time - you don't actually see it within a couple of lifetimes. What your cousin said is not a question ABOUT evolution, it's the question to which 'evolution' is the ANSWER.

THAT'S IT. I'M DONE.

Go read a book on it - evolution isn't even my strong point. Come back to me when you want to talk quantum physics.

Edited by Nollaig

I was thinking of starting a similar thread, for people in my position--those just about to go into post-secondary studies :naughty:

But this seems like a good place to come...I'm in my last year of Canadian high school; however, my game plan at the moment is to move back to England in the summer. I've wanted to go back for years, and figured that because I'm also a British citizen that I'd be eligible for unis there.

However, after some research, it turns out that I have to live there for three years in order to become a resident and be eligible for non-international fees. :blink:

Even so, I still think I'm going to do it...I'll set up a billing address, and then bugger off around the world for three years, find spiritual enlightenment, and come back knowing fully what I want to study as a career. :naughty:

That's not a good point, that's not knowing anything about evolution. Why some did and why some didn't? Because that's how they evolved! It's chance, luck, genetics, trial and error in mutations. Also, it takes place over a VERY VERY long time - you don't actually see it within a couple of lifetimes. What your cousin said is not a question ABOUT evolution, it's the question to which 'evolution' is the ANSWER.

THAT'S IT. I'M DONE.

Go read a book on it - evolution isn't even my strong point. Come back to me when you want to talk quantum physics.

Yo chill out he doesn't know **** about these stuff i was just joking....:naughty:

Wow, this thread has moved from 'what am I doing with my life?' to astrology.

That's quite a leap.

I can't comment on astrology, as it'll start a debate. For those who care about astrology, I'm a Scorpio, and surprisingly a textbook one.

My brother is also a Scorpio (three years and two days between us) and he is my exact opposite. My dad is a Capricorn, and exactly the same as me.

Go figure.

It's not *just* about your sun sign, it's about your moon sign as well, what DATE you were born and the time...and obviously your upbringing comes into it too. I won't say it's exactly accurate, but there's a fair amount that's quite true in my opinion. Astrology that is, not horoscopes :naughty:

Completely agree with you on evolution by the way.

Ooh I'll have to download! You don't want to hear me sing. The only time I can sing semi-okay is when I'm in the car and when the music is loud so you can barely hear me. :aah:

It sounds like you should get trained in something that way you can start knocking peoples socks off! Oh btw, I replied to you in the BIOTG video thread. I had forgotten you had written a rant to me so I wrote one back. :aah:

Okay, hope you like it lol...:naughty:

Oh did I rant at you? :roftl: Sorry :blush-anim-cl: I'll go have a look haha

This is a really interesting thread :thumb_yello: I hope I'm not ruining the lovely religious discussions by writing about what I'm doing with my life though lol

I finished 'highschool' (the Dutch equivalent of it) when I was 17, I had no idea what I wanted, the only things I liked were making clothes and bags and talking about music, but everyone who didn't know what they wanted went to become a teacher, so I figured I could do that too. I went there for 1 week and it was the worst week of my life, so I quit and felt entirely lost. I worked as a mail delivery girl for the rest of the year but spent most of my time and money on going to gigs. I decided that I should do something with my creativity so I started making and selling my infamous fishbags. That worked out so well I thought I might aswell do something with fashion, so I went to fashion school the next year. The first year was really fun, I learned a lot about designing and sewing and making patterns and modelling, and had a really fun work experience job at a costume rental company. Meanwhile I was taking a lot of trips to several European countries, and found out that was something I really really loved doing. My second year in fashion school was considerably less fun, all the teachers I had to work with were horrible and everything was focusing on boring theory instead of designing and sewing, plus I had a horrible horrible workexperience job at a bridal shop, so after a lot of drama I decided to quit. I learned a lot in the following year, I took lessons to learn to make corsets, I took a creative writing course, and I went on even more trips. But I got really short on money so I had to get a job, and ended up working at HEMA, a department store. I worked there for 6 months and well, I hated it. I got paid a lot and I could take days off quite easily so I survived, but I really really hated it and counted the minutes every day until I got to go home. In the end they got rid of me because of the financial crisis, every HEMA had to fire the last person they hired and that just so happened to be me. I hated the job anyway so I couldn't really care less, and in the end it was the best thing that could've happened to me. I started thinking about what I really wanted in life, and I realised it was NOT another stupid job like that. So I decided to do what no one ever me to do, go to university. The only thing I'm good at besides arty stuff and being a rock-geek is English and writing, so I'm going to study English next year. I didn't have the right highschool diploma, so I'm getting some certificats this year so I'll get into uni after next summer. Hopefully I'll be able to do a big part of my studies in the UK, because it's my dream to move there eventually. Actually, the most perfect way next could turn out is if I could go to uni in Newcastle and be with the boy I'm in love with (I met him this summer and we fell in love, only he then went back to his ex but dumped her again recently, I'll be seeing him in a few weeks and PRAY I'll get him back) I don't know exactly what I'm gonna do once I've got my degree, but I love writing so hopefully I can do some journalism courses and do something in that direction....

So, if any of you really young girls are afraid they won't find their way in life, don't worry, I'm turning 22 in 3 weeks and I've only just found out what I really want to do!

Hey! Cool thread!

So I'm in my 3rd year of university now, studying French and English languages and literatures. I love it :D

Next year, if my parents allow it and if I'm accepted in the programme, I'm going to teach French as a language assistant, in England. For one year. :D I've been wanting to do that for over 2 years now. I want to improve my English. I want to work in England cause I love this country. And I want to acquire experience in teaching, cause it's what I want to do; become a high school teacher (and teach English and French, obviously).

After my year abroad (if I can do it of course mwa ha), I'm going to do my Masters in English and French literatures. Write my Masters paper in English hehe! And after that, I have to attend a "high school of teaching" (that sucks, but I need to attend it in order to become a teacher). Eventually, I can start looking for a job in a high school!! :D

I've always wanted to become a teacher, so for me it's never been hard to find my goal in life :original:

@Caz: I don't know how it works in England, but here in Switzerland, you can talk to professionals if you have no clue about what you want to do in life. It's called like "professional orientation". You talk to someone and they will ask you questions about what you like to do, what you dislike etc... and try to help you find a job you might want to do :original: My brother went there, and it helped him :thumb_yello:

@Caz: I don't know how it works in England, but here in Switzerland, you can talk to professionals if you have no clue about what you want to do in life. It's called like "professional orientation". You talk to someone and they will ask you questions about what you like to do, what you dislike etc... and try to help you find a job you might want to do :original: My brother went there, and it helped him :thumb_yello:

yeah, over here it's called "Connexions". I went there after I did 2 years doing A-Levels and ended up doing childcare because I like children. Not the direction I want to go in, though :dunno: Oh well, at least I know what I DON'T want to do lol. :aah:

Good luck with you by the way!

yeah, over here it's called "Connexions". I went there after I did 2 years doing A-Levels and ended up doing childcare because I like children. Not the direction I want to go in, though :dunno: Oh well, at least I know what I DON'T want to do lol. :aah:

Good luck with you by the way!

Thanks! :D

Well yeah, it's also good to know what you DON'T want to do:teehee: Apart from that, I don't really know how to help you. It's your choice and I understand it's a hard one to make :( But you're a talented girl and I'm sure you'll find something you want to do eventually :original:

Thanks! :D

Well yeah, it's also good to know what you DON'T want to do:teehee: Apart from that, I don't really know how to help you. It's your choice and I understand it's a hard one to make :( But you're a talented girl and I'm sure you'll find something you want to do eventually :original:

lol, thank you...and I appreciate everyone's help :)

@OhMyMika!!: Some people think they know it all when they say stuff like that, and they are blatently incorrect. Once he knows and you know, all's right with the world. Also apologies, I was already p*ssed when people started up.

@Cazgirl: Love you but will never budge on astrology. Will grant you it's interesting to read about though. ASTRONOMY, now there's a topic I like! :naughty:

@Riverstwilight: I studied Philosophy of Mind, Science and Free Will, hence my interest in physics and particularly the probabalistic nature of quantum physics versus the deterministic nature of all larger systems.

@Everyone else: I can tell you what I DON'T want to do with my life, and THAT is become a public speaker. I suck at it :naughty:

@Cazgirl: Love you but will never budge on astrology. Will grant you it's interesting to read about though. ASTRONOMY, now there's a topic I like! :naughty:

Quite like astronomy myself! Learning about Space was the best thing Science lessons ever had to offer lol :aah:

Actually on-topic - if I had the brains I would have studied astrophysics, I'd love to have been an astronomer or anything like that related to the study and exploration of space (other than an astronaut, coz I'm definately not brainy enough for that!) And I'm pretty good with theoretical physics, I've learnt most of it just from reading books as I didn't study it in school, but the mathmathics cripples me. CANNOT do math, and unfortunately you need to be able to do it at the highest possible standard to even pass first year in Astrophysics here. In the course in my uni, last year, only one student actually graduated.