The "what am I doing with my life?" thread

So it seems lately as I look around MFC that there are a bunch of us asking the age-old question, "what am I doing with my life?"

Some people are already in careers and not sure if they want to stay with what they're doing. Some people have just finished school and with the current icky economy, are having a hard time getting into their chosen field. Others are still wondering which path to take, and considering all their options.

So, discuss. Where are you at? What are you doing with YOUR life? And if you've got it all figured out, tell us what you're doing and how you got there. :biggrin2:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems lately as I look around MFC that there are a bunch of us asking the age-old question, "what am I doing with my life?"

Some people are already in careers and not sure if they want to stay with what they're doing. Some people have just finished school and with the current icky economy, are having a hard time getting into their chosen field. Others are still wondering which path to take, and considering all their options.

So, discuss. Where are you at? What are you doing with YOUR life? :biggrin2:

Mine i dunno, but yours i believe your goal in life is to beat the Magic Points leader...:roftl:

THANK YOU MANA :bow:

Currently I am working in a cinema and have done for 3 years. The job sucks. The money sucks. The people are nice, but it's got to a point where not even the people can keep me there anymore.

I'm getting a lot of pressure from the family to find a new, well paid job and it's really getting me down as some people probably realised from my tweets. They don't mean to pressurise me, they mean well, but it's SO SODDING HARD. And I've given tons of thought, I even tried to make a plan at work. It consisted of exactly this:

WHAT DO I LIKE DOING: Singing, dancing, acting, drawing, writing

WHAT DO I WANT FROM LIFE: Success

WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE ME? : Right back on square one. Great plan Caroline.

-_-

My dad wants me to do something with Art but I personally just don't see myself doing it :dunno: I definitely 100% rule out Animation, I wouldn't have the patience for it.

My mum thinks I'm good at practically everything, which is no help at all.

I don't have a lot of confidence in my abilities, I'll admit that.

I studied A-Level English Combined (Got a B overall, with high A's on some papers, which is why I'm considering writing for teen mags Mana), Drama and Media Studies (would also go well with magazines).

I also studied childcare for a year and counselling for a year.

I've been dancing since I was 4, I'm also an untrained singer.

Okay guys....

GO!!

:roftl:

THANK YOU MANA :bow:

Currently I am working in a cinema and have done for 3 years. The job sucks. The money sucks. The people are nice, but it's got to a point where not even the people can keep me there anymore.

I'm getting a lot of pressure from the family to find a new, well paid job and it's really getting me down as some people probably realised from my tweets. They don't mean to pressurise me, they mean well, but it's SO SODDING HARD. And I've given tons of thought, I even tried to make a plan at work. It consisted of exactly this:

WHAT DO I LIKE DOING: Singing, dancing, acting, drawing, writing

WHAT DO I WANT FROM LIFE: Success

WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE ME? : Right back on square one. Great plan Caroline.

-_-

My dad wants me to do something with Art but I personally just don't see myself doing it :dunno: I definitely 100% rule out Animation, I wouldn't have the patience for it.

My mum thinks I'm good at practically everything, which is no help at all.

I don't have a lot of confidence in my abilities, I'll admit that.

I studied A-Level English Combined (Got a B overall, with high A's on some papers, which is why I'm considering writing for teen mags Mana), Drama and Media Studies (would also go well with magazines).

I also studied childcare for a year and counselling for a year.

I've been dancing since I was 4, I'm also an untrained singer.

Okay guys....

GO!!

:roftl:

Hi Caz

What about advertising or marketing? they would both use your writing and arty skills :thumb_yello: (and a bit of psychology)

Hi Caz

What about advertising or marketing? they would both use your writing and arty skills :thumb_yello: (and a bit of psychology)

Hi Nectar!

people keep giving me the graphic design idea...i did study graphics as it goes at GCSE...had to make some sodding perfume box and absolutely LOATHED it lmfao...designing I could perhaps do but when it gets to computer work I just hit a brick wall haha, because we had to plan it on paper and then take it to a computer and design it on there :doh:

thanks for the help though...

RIGHT NOW - what I am doing with my life, is raising my kids well. And doing a damn good job if I do say so myself. My boys are 100 times more MEN then their fathers could have ever even dreamt of being. But, in 3 years Austin is going to college . . M.I.T . . and Alysia will soon follow him (not to Boston) but to his own chosen college <hopefully in Florida> THE REAL QUESTION FOR ME, will begin at that moment! WHAT THE EFF am I going to do without them? I have had a baby/child/kid with me since I could do algebra. I HONESTLY do not know WHAT I AM GOING to do with my life in just a couple years. My life has never ever before been 'my own' I don't think I have a CLUE what to do with myself! I am going to be SO lost. I can't even think about it right now! :no:

pufffffffff

i have an idea of what i`m gonna do with my life.... i want to study medicine :biggrin2:

Maria Laura Zalazar M.D :mf_rosetinted: i can see that in my future :aah:

but i`m quite worried about something.. studying medicine is the most expensive thing i could`ve thought :aah: about $1500 a month :boxed:

and in a way i`m not sure about studying it.. it`s very very hard... about 6 years only to a doctor.. and then the intership about another 2 years.. and then for example to be a pediatrician another 3 years... :boxed:

Hi Nectar!

people keep giving me the graphic design idea...i did study graphics as it goes at GCSE...had to make some sodding perfume box and absolutely LOATHED it lmfao...designing I could perhaps do but when it gets to computer work I just hit a brick wall haha, because we had to plan it on paper and then take it to a computer and design it on there :doh:

thanks for the help though...

Could you train as a teacher? either primary school, or as an art/media/drama teacher for older kids?

Could you train as a teacher? either primary school, or as an art/media/drama teacher for older kids?

I couldn't be a teacher, I don't have the patience for it. I did work experience when I was studying childcare, in a nursery and then a primary school. I'm an untrained artist so wouldn't know what to teach people anyway. And I'm such a perfectionist anyway - watching all those 2 year olds sploge paint all over the tables instead of their paper was absolute torture :aah:

pufffffffff

i have an idea of what i`m gonna do with my life.... i want to study medicine :biggrin2:

Maria Laura Zalazar M.D :mf_rosetinted: i can see that in my future :aah:

but i`m quite worried about something.. studying medicine is the most expensive thing i could`ve thought :aah: about $1500 a month :boxed:

and in a way i`m not sure about studying it.. it`s very very hard... about 6 years only to a doctor.. and then the intership about another 2 years.. and then for example to be a pediatrician another 3 years... :boxed:

Good money though at the end of it :thumb_yello::naughty:

I couldn't be a teacher, I don't have the patience for it. I did work experience when I was studying childcare, in a nursery and then a primary school. I'm an untrained artist so wouldn't know what to teach people anyway. And I'm such a perfectionist anyway - watching all those 2 year olds sploge paint all over the tables instead of their paper was absolute torture :aah:

:roftl: Oh Dear! You can get specific subject training as part of the teacher training - but i don't think they can teach you patience :naughty:

I'm in a catch 22 at the moment.

I'm in no way well off, I never have been - I had to work for a year when I finished school to start funding university, and I had to continue working throughout to support myself. I've now graduated with a degree in English and Philosophy, so the path is open to go into Journalism, Library or archival work, teaching lecturing, or 'doing Philosophy' which involves writing papers and going to conferences, if I make it to PhD level.

Unfortunately, due to the recession here my job was cut, and I can't find another as I have no experience in anything, and so solid qualification. So right now, I need to go back to uni and do my Masters in something to get a job, but I can't do that until I've saved money.

So right now, I'm working on surviving until I can aspire to something more. I've gotten this far, I don't doubt I can go all the way.

While it's weird not having all my time and more taken up with work and studies, it means I can focus way more on my art, my book reviewing and other hobbies, all of which have gotten better and better recently. I'm really honing my digital art, courtesy of Mika inspiring me significantly and the yearbook providing an outlet. I regularly get sent new novels from authors and publishers which is a challenge in itself - reading new genres and honing my writing in case that's the direction my Masters takes. So I'm happy, if not a little restless, at the moment.

Where do I see myself in ten years? Who knows. I don't think like that - I take things one step at a time.

:roftl: Oh Dear! You can get specific subject training as part of the teacher training - but i don't think they can teach you patience :naughty:

lol :naughty: honest to God, I cringed whenever they asked me to do the art table. I was alright when I was with the babies, cos you just coo over them, but when you get to the 2+ room it was a completely different story. Either stick me with a baby or stick me with teenagers who are capable to listening and applying :roftl:

But I wouldn't wanna teach...I wanna DO something...if that makes sense...

But I do appreciate your help

I have lived over half my life and it sucked a lot of the time, but it sucks a lot worse now, kids have left home, hubby wants to retire to Devon, I kinda have no family or close friends, so I live on my pc, I work a little but the job sucks but keeps me afloat when I need it to go Mikaring, going Mikaring is kinda... well it takes my mind of the suckiness of things.

That question "what am I doing with my life" will crop up from time to time for us all, cos life throws different stages at us, just gotta do what feels right at the time.

I'm in no way well off, I never have been - I had to work for a year when I finished school to start funding university, and I had to continue working throughout to support myself. I've now graduated with a degree in English and Philosophy, so the path is open to go into Journalism, Library or archival work, teaching lecturing, or 'doing Philosophy' which involves writing papers and going to conferences, if I make it to PhD level.

Unfortunately, due to the recession here my job was cut, and I can't find another as I have no experience in anything, and so solid qualification. So right now, I need to go back to uni and do my Masters in something to get a job, but I can't do that until I've saved money.

So right now, I'm working on surviving until I can aspire to something more. I've gotten this far, I don't doubt I can go all the way.

While it's weird not having all my time and more taken up with work and studies, it means I can focus way more on my art, my book reviewing and other hobbies, all of which have gotten better and better recently. I'm really honing my digital art, courtesy of Mika inspiring me significantly and the yearbook providing an outlet. I regularly get sent new novels from authors and publishers which is a challenge in itself - reading new genres and honing my writing in case that's the direction my Masters takes. So I'm happy, if not a little restless, at the moment.

Where do I see myself in ten years? Who knows. I don't think like that - I take things one step at a time.

#1: Argh, I hate it when there's a loop!

#2: EXACTLY the same for me. My art got a lot better because of Mika and these projects.

That's really tough :huglove: I was lucky enough to get a full grant when I went to university. I feel so sorry for kids who have to fund themselves and get into massive debt at the beginnings of their careers.

It's good that you can use your time so productively. I hope the economy picks up and you can get back on track :thumb_yello:

:naughty:

I'm glad I figured out what I want to do in the beginning so I can get everything done quickly

Smart move. :naughty:

What is it exactly that you wanna do?

(Maybe your answer will inspire me. :mf_rosetinted:)

That's really tough :huglove: I was lucky enough to get a full grant when I went to university. I feel so sorry for kids who have to fund themselves and get into massive debt at the beginnings of their careers.

It's good that you can use your time so productively. I hope the economy picks up and you can get back on track :thumb_yello:

Thank you! I did actually get a grant, and I didn't have to pay any fees, except registration fee. I got €3000 a year, which didn't quite cover accommodation (usually about €4000 a year), then I also had to pay €800-€1000 a year on registration, and then another few hundred on books, €1000 on a laptop when I started and then I also had to feed and clothe myself, as well as travel home every weekend to work. Basically, the year out funded all the bigger costs, and the weekend work fed me. :roftl: As it stands, I'm not in any debt at all, I just need to stay that way til I get a job.

I'm a free lancer translator, a painter, do some children's bedrooms decoration for friends, 3 kids, Chron's disease, work at home...

My husband is planning on our 4th child...

I'm not...lolz

So i Mikaring here instead so he doesn't get the time to even think about it...

I'm also moving to a bigger house which keeps me a bit busy with the deco, but my next aim is to finish my Drawing/Painting/Sculpting degree i left when i got my first child and also considering taking the chance on an Architecture degree...my ultimate dream...

"

I'm also improving my cooking skills too, by attending a learn how to make sushi without loosing all you thumbs" night time classes ...

This is it... my humble wishes in life 15 days before i get 39yo...;)

Not much but it's what i'm into...