The "what am I doing with my life?" thread

How the hell do you write a covering letter for a CV? I'm only applying for a Christmas Job in a couple of shops, nothing grand. So far I have:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am applying for any Christmas vacancies that you may have.

Having worked in the retail sector for 3 years, I have gained valuable experience in both sales and customer service and therefore believe I would be a valuable member to your team during the busiest time of the year.

Now what? :roftl:

Caz, how about mentionning what PERSONAL qualities you have as a result of your previous work experience? Eg, Liking working with the public, helpful, reliable, able to use your initiative, can work on own but like working in a team, hard-working etc etc. I'm sure you can think of others which are appropriate to yourself. Hope this helps! :wink2::thumb_yello:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Caz, how about mentionning what PERSONAL qualities you have as a result of your previous work experience? Eg, Liking working with the public, helpful, reliable, able to use your initiative, can work on own but like working in a team, hard-working etc etc. I'm sure you can think of others which are appropriate to yourself. Hope this helps! :wink2::thumb_yello:

I'm pretty sure you write that in your personal statement on your CV?

My name's on the CV, no need to repeat it twice lol, plus when I sign off it'll have my name there, too...but thanks for trying to help!

You're welcome!

Like I said, it's a detail, not exactly a mandatory thing! :wink2:

Oh, and good luck! :thumb_yello:

Oh, yes, that is something that would improve the letter, and give a better first impression! :thumb_yello:

I'm pretty sure you write that in your personal statement on your CV?

Okay, I wasn't very clear, I don't mean go into detail giving examples of how in such-and-such a job eg you worked with the public and as a result really enjoy it working with people etc etc. You're right, the place for this sort of detail is in the personal statement.

I mean just literally mention a couple/three (?) qualities which you may not have mentionned already (with examples to illustrate these) in the personal statement bit of your CV/application form.

Alternatively, pick a couple of the most appropriate qualities which you think the job requires which you've mentionned already, and say something along the lines of: "Finally, as you will see from my personal statement, I am reliable, hard-working and enjoy working with the public" (words to that effect! Pick your own qualities to mention!)

The covering letter should be brief but it's like a 'taster'/attention grabber - you want to just highlight the main qualities you have to make the employer want to know more!!

Good luck! :wink2:

How the hell do you write a covering letter for a CV? I'm only applying for a Christmas Job in a couple of shops, nothing grand. So far I have:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Having worked in the retail sector for 3 years, I have gained valuable experience in both sales and customer service and therefore believe I would be a valuable member to your team during the busiest time of the year.

Tell them what your experience is and why it's valuable. Say why you think they should hire you, and also why you're interested in the job. Also, maybe something like "I'm writing to apply for any Christmas employment opportunites you may have..." for the introductory sentence? The word 'vacancies' makes it seem a little like you're just applying for whatever they throw at you, whereas an 'opportunity' sounds more like you're super excited for whatever they can offer you :naughty:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Could you mention your availability? What shifts are you prepared to do, what hours, how quickly can you be called on to come in or do you need to know shifts in advance? You don't have to put all of that in, but give some thought to what you are prepared to do, and try and state it as succinctly as possible.

I was also going to suggest that you put in some of the personal attributes you have, like the other girls have suggested. Are you quick? Professional? Friendly? Helpful? Cheerful? Determined? Able to work well without supervision? Reliable? Adaptable? Focussed? Goal oriented?

Depending on the job, some of these things will be more important than others, but it doesn't hurt to work out what your best attributes are and what are most likely to be valued in a Christmas position and sell yourself by mentioning the top 3 or so. Then the rest of the list can be put into your CV.

What about a sentence like "I have developed a range of skills in my three years in retail, including blah, blah and blah amongst many others." ?

We were also always told to write something saying that you looked forward to hearing from them and that you thanked them for their time. Is that still done these days?

I am currently working on my senior year in college. I'm student teaching and am getting my degree in Elementary education. I'm also working at an apartment agency....it's like no job I've ever done before, so I am learning and trying to become great at what I have to do.

This year has been a very exciting and nerve-racking one all the same. I'n eager to graduate and to be finished with academics, as well as I am trying to enjoy my last days at it.

I am also very in love and content in the relationship that I am in. When I consider how my life was last year and how unhappy I was back then, I am just so glad with how my life has changed.

Wedding bells (or at least engagement bells lol) may be ringing before the year is over, so THAT is something I am highly anticipating (understatement of the year!)

Tell them what your experience is and why it's valuable. Say why you think they should hire you, and also why you're interested in the job. Also, maybe something like "I'm writing to apply for any Christmas employment opportunites you may have..." for the introductory sentence? The word 'vacancies' makes it seem a little like you're just applying for whatever they throw at you, whereas an 'opportunity' sounds more like you're super excited for whatever they can offer you :naughty:

Hmm, maybe opportunity WOULD be a better word lol

Could you mention your availability? What shifts are you prepared to do, what hours, how quickly can you be called on to come in or do you need to know shifts in advance? You don't have to put all of that in, but give some thought to what you are prepared to do, and try and state it as succinctly as possible.

I was also going to suggest that you put in some of the personal attributes you have, like the other girls have suggested. Are you quick? Professional? Friendly? Helpful? Cheerful? Determined? Able to work well without supervision? Reliable? Adaptable? Focussed? Goal oriented?

Depending on the job, some of these things will be more important than others, but it doesn't hurt to work out what your best attributes are and what are most likely to be valued in a Christmas position and sell yourself by mentioning the top 3 or so. Then the rest of the list can be put into your CV.

What about a sentence like "I have developed a range of skills in my three years in retail, including blah, blah and blah amongst many others." ?

We were also always told to write something saying that you looked forward to hearing from them and that you thanked them for their time. Is that still done these days?

Mentioning availabilty on a covering letter might seem a bit too picky IMO...I also asked my sister on whether I should something like that and she said no :dunno: I suppose because a covering letter is only meant to be short and pretty straight to the point. "I'm looking for work. I'm good. Hire me." :roftl:

It's the qualities I find quite hard. I know I have to write them, I just don't really know what qualities to choose :roftl: I'm pretty friendly. I guess I'm quite professional. I'm usually quite cheerful and reliable...I just don't want to sound like a show off lol :roftl:

And yes we do write that, I just haven't got that far yet :naughty:

Thank you everyone for your help, it's greatly appreciated :flowers2:

Well I want to be a radio presenter and even tho alot of people don't have any belief in me that I could possibly do it as I'm very shy, some people do and I'm trying to take the confidence from the positive and gonna try my best and get an A in Media so I can do it! :thumb_yello:

..If that doesn't work out, I'm gonna learn to drive and get a job delivering pizza!! :naughty:

Well I want to be a radio presenter and even tho alot of people don't have any belief in me that I could possibly do it as I'm very shy, some people do and I'm trying to take the confidence from the positive and gonna try my best and get an A in Media so I can do it! :thumb_yello:

..If that doesn't work out, I'm gonna learn to drive and get a job delivering pizza!! :naughty:

sounds like a good plan! :biggrin2:

I'm not sure what I want to do later..

I know I want to do "something creative" but it is very hard to find something that I really really like.. I love movies & photographie, so I probably want to do something with that.. I just don't want to do something "boring"!

Huh, that sounds similar to me:blink:

Well, I'm still at school and I have four more years to go, so things can still change (I used to want to become a teacher, but nah... school all my life).

I think a radio presenter would be a cool job, getting to interview musicians:teehee: and of course selecting music for the show and talking to people with an actual feedback.

I also can sing well, but I'm totally untrained. The station I fancy has their own band, so maybe I could even join them...

Yeah, I would really like to do that, but I have no real idea how to get there. Studying Media? There's a journalism school in Munich... Dunno, I'd also like to study abroad, London maybe. But then again, that's sooo expensive:boxed:

I'm bored at school, I'd like to take part in some private exchange with America for example. Huh, but I'm running out of time for that. The last two years must be spent at home because of the preparing for the A-Levels, and there's no chance I can do it this year.

That's a disadvantage of the shortening of our school time, people used to have one more year:aah:

Anybody got help for me?:wink2:

Next year I wanna study Business at Amsterdam or Groningen, and get a master in Marketing :biggrin2:

I think it would be so awesome. I'd like to get a job in advertisement, or something with marketing or commercial economics. And something international ofcourse. My dream is to go to Latin America for a year, and learn very good Spanish. :biggrin2:

Well, I'm still at school and I have four more years to go, so things can still change (I used to want to become a teacher, but nah... school all my life).

I think a radio presenter would be a cool job, getting to interview musicians:teehee: and of course selecting music for the show and talking to people with an actual feedback.

I also can sing well, but I'm totally untrained. The station I fancy has their own band, so maybe I could even join them...

Yeah, I would really like to do that, but I have no real idea how to get there. Studying Media? There's a journalism school in Munich... Dunno, I'd also like to study abroad, London maybe. But then again, that's sooo expensive:boxed:

I'm bored at school, I'd like to take part in some private exchange with America for example. Huh, but I'm running out of time for that. The last two years must be spent at home because of the preparing for the A-Levels, and there's no chance I can do it this year.

That's a disadvantage of the shortening of our school time, people used to have one more year:aah:

Well, you've still got four years left, so I wouldn't worry too much right now.:wink2: I graduate in June and I haven't decided yet. But it sounds like you're into music, which is a wonderful thing--talk to the radio station you like, maybe you can get a part-time job there. If not, at least you can get some valuable information from them. You could take singing lessons, too, although I never did and I'm considering a career as a singer. If there's a musi program at your school get involved and see how you like performing. Try things out--go and get as much experience as you can and see what you really love doing the most.

As for the exchange--DO IT. Seriously. My boyfriend lives near Munich too and he came to my school for ten months last year...during which time he got a girlfriend, made the best friends he's ever had and discovered what he's really passionate about. Our school is pretty welcoming but I think as a general rule, if you're a German exchange student, you're automatically awesome.:naughty: Your English seems nearly perfect so I don't think you'd have any trouble.

Well, you've still got four years left, so I wouldn't worry too much right now.:wink2: I graduate in June and I haven't decided yet. But it sounds like you're into music, which is a wonderful thing--talk to the radio station you like, maybe you can get a part-time job there. If not, at least you can get some valuable information from them. You could take singing lessons, too, although I never did and I'm considering a career as a singer. If there's a musi program at your school get involved and see how you like performing. Try things out--go and get as much experience as you can and see what you really love doing the most.

As for the exchange--DO IT. Seriously. My boyfriend lives near Munich too and he came to my school for ten months last year...during which time he got a girlfriend, made the best friends he's ever had and discovered what he's really passionate about. Our school is pretty welcoming but I think as a general rule, if you're a German exchange student, you're automatically awesome.:naughty: Your English seems nearly perfect so I don't think you'd have any trouble.

Yeah, I'm definitely into music a lot. I used to be in the school's choir, I actually think I'm going to rejoin next year or sth. Last year there was a big musical project but I was still too young.

That music thing is one of the reasons why I think radio would be great 'cause when I'm interested in something I will remember plenty of facts about it which should be useful I guess:naughty:

Getting information - yeah, right, I should really write a letter/e-mail and ask what education/skills you need to actually become a presenter there.

The exchange -- I'm in charge to try and find an offer, but I really don't know about how to organise this. I still very much hope I can do it. I'm just looking for something shorter, you know, at most half a year.

Off for now.:bye:

Does your school have a Media studies subject? I didn't discover my school had one till I came to choose my GCSE options. If they do, take it! Because if you can get a qualfication in media (or getting a distinction = A) it will help getting you into a place into future education in media such as journalism and radio presenting..

I'm trying to get work experience at a radio station as I have to do work experience next June and with those sort of things on your CV when you apply for job they will more likely go for people with experience in someway.

Do you play an instrument? Because if you can sing, all you need is an instrument then you could become a musician and meet celebrities, etc.

Thanks for your help Mana, you're a doll :huglove:

What sort of writing have you done? What did you love? What did you hate?

How many years did you study for?

I studied Media for 4 years and received As and Bs in English, GCSE AND A-Levels..

Just saw this, after getting home from my decadent travels. :naughty:

I've done all sorts of writing - corporate writing (as in, website/brochure/presentation content), speechwriting, news journalism, feature journalism, and some travel writing. The only thing I haven't really done much of is fiction.

The journalism program I took was two years, and it was very hands-on; teaching things like how to outline an article, how to conduct interviews, and some photography/desktop publishing.

I love the fact that journalism allows me to talk with interesting people who I wouldn't otherwise talk to. I love learning about people and topics, and that's the best part about it. I love diving into a topic and getting all the relevant facts; then regurgitating it in a way that's easily digestible for anyone who is interested in it. :wub2:

What I hate is working to impossible deadlines on boring-as-hell stories. Like when there's some snoozefest story about a local garbage dump or sewage treatment plant, and I've got three hours to get in touch with City Hall's main sewage guy and a local city council member, interview them about the sewage plant and then write the article. :bleh:

Then of course, if the sewage guy/council member isn't available to interview it's hard to meet the deadline, and then the paper's editor yells and gets all bitchy. There's no "craft" to writing like that; it's grunt work, and frankly I don't like that at all.

So after 4 years in university and thousands in debt, I still have no idea what I'm going to do with my life.

Cheers. :cheers:

I'm still paying off my student loans, and I have a less clear idea now at nearly 25 what I want to do with my life than I did at 19 or 20. :bleh:

I'm starting to think now that what I really need is a job that I can "own". Something that I can feel personally invested in, like whatever I'm working on is my baby and I want it to succeed. I've got this random idea that I'd like to start a music management company, but I live in a boring city with no real music scene. Sigh.

How the hell do you write a covering letter for a CV? I'm only applying for a Christmas Job in a couple of shops, nothing grand.

How's that going for you?

I am also very in love and content in the relationship that I am in. When I consider how my life was last year and how unhappy I was back then, I am just so glad with how my life has changed.

Wedding bells (or at least engagement bells lol) may be ringing before the year is over, so THAT is something I am highly anticipating (understatement of the year!)

Whooaaaa! That's awesome! When that happens, I expect you to post a thread about it, and then to put a link to the thread on my wall so that I don't miss it. :naughty:

Just saw this, after getting home from my decadent travels. :naughty:

I've done all sorts of writing - corporate writing (as in, website/brochure/presentation content), speechwriting, news journalism, feature journalism, and some travel writing. The only thing I haven't really done much of is fiction.

The journalism program I took was two years, and it was very hands-on; teaching things like how to outline an article, how to conduct interviews, and some photography/desktop publishing.

I love the fact that journalism allows me to talk with interesting people who I wouldn't otherwise talk to. I love learning about people and topics, and that's the best part about it. I love diving into a topic and getting all the relevant facts; then regurgitating it in a way that's easily digestible for anyone who is interested in it. :wub2:

What I hate is working to impossible deadlines on boring-as-hell stories. Like when there's some snoozefest story about a local garbage dump or sewage treatment plant, and I've got three hours to get in touch with City Hall's main sewage guy and a local city council member, interview them about the sewage plant and then write the article. :bleh:

Then of course, if the sewage guy/council member isn't available to interview it's hard to meet the deadline, and then the paper's editor yells and gets all bitchy. There's no "craft" to writing like that; it's grunt work, and frankly I don't like that at all.

Cheers. :cheers:

I'm still paying off my student loans, and I have a less clear idea now at nearly 25 what I want to do with my life than I did at 19 or 20. :bleh:

I'm starting to think now that what I really need is a job that I can "own". Something that I can feel personally invested in, like whatever I'm working on is my baby and I want it to succeed. I've got this random idea that I'd like to start a music management company, but I live in a boring city with no real music scene. Sigh.

How's that going for you?

Whooaaaa! That's awesome! When that happens, I expect you to post a thread about it, and then to put a link to the thread on my wall so that I don't miss it. :naughty:

LOL oh, Mana, believe me you will know about it! You and everyone else I've ever known... :naughty:

It's funny, a large number of my friends have been getting married/engaged this year...and all the while I'm trying to not think about getting engaged and just let it happen on his time. But geez louise, it is hard not to think about when it's in my face all the time! ;)

Thanks for your help Mana, you're a doll :huglove:

What sort of writing have you done? What did you love? What did you hate?

How many years did you study for?

Quoting this again...

My editor emailed me tonight and said that in the morning, he needs me to go on a tour of a waste processing plant, and write an article about it. :aah:

This is what I don't like about writing for a daily paper. Could there be anything more dull to write about? Anything at all?

And now I have to interview people about waste processing, and fake being actually interested. Hooo, boy. :roftl:

LOL oh, Mana, believe me you will know about it! You and everyone else I've ever known... :naughty:

It's funny, a large number of my friends have been getting married/engaged this year...and all the while I'm trying to not think about getting engaged and just let it happen on his time. But geez louise, it is hard not to think about when it's in my face all the time! ;)

I totally understand. I had a bunch of friends get engaged before Andrew and I did, even couples who hadn't been together as long. So I know that the waiting really is the hardest part. :naughty: