Lady Gaga (and Mika) to perform for the Queen in London - dec. 7 2009

Droopsy

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow.. looking at Mikas performance.. it was good, and then suddenly.. i cant tell what it is, just before the spoken bit, he looks like hes in pain and his singing goes kinda off.. and to me it looks like he battles through the rest of the song :blink:

I thought the same thing! He did go off at that point. He was struggling the rest of the time. This is why I wished he had not sung Rain and had sung one of his ballads instead. Some performances of Rain are brill, but others are a bit off. Rain is okay in the gigs when his fans are there, but NOT the best choice if he only has one song and millions of viewers, a lot of whom are Mika-haters and are just waiting for any excuse to diss him.

I thought the same thing! He did go off at that point. He was struggling the rest of the time. This is why I wished he had not sung Rain and had sung one of his ballads instead. Some performances of Rain are brill, but others are a bit off. Rain is okay in the gigs when his fans are there, but NOT the best choice if he only has one song and millions of viewers, a lot of whom are Mika-haters and are just waiting for any excuse to diss him.

Well, yes, you're right there, but that is the problem: he always has these issues with the songs that feature a lot of falsetto, which is why Rain is always a problematic song when he does it live.

You can always hear that when he starts the chorus, his voice always goes down in volume, and it always sounds strained. Sometimes more, others less, but it always shows some strain, because that falsetto doesn't come naturally. At times where he's been doing more gigs, or traveling more, or when he's just more tired and whatnot, the strain is more noticeable.

This is why I always say that it would be better for him and for the quality of his performances if he laid off the falsetto (which, incidentally, is what many people who are non fans tell me annoys them about him, even when they like the lower registries) and stuck to more natural ranges instead. I truly believe that it would be a more relaxed experience for him (you can just SEE how he always tenses up when the falsetto bit is coming) ,and it would just sound nicer.

Personally I really think that he's too focused on the falsetto, on sticking it in there, and that it very often makes him sound strained.

WAG is difficult to 'get' as a concept, Rain is difficult to sing live .... not really the best choices to promote the album with....:cool:

I wonder what would have happened if first single was I See You, the second one One Foot Boy and the third Rain and the fourth one Pick up Off the Floor...

I think Mika singing a ballad would have probably had the same 'shocking' effect on people when they first heard him with Grace Kelly....but :dunno: what do I know...

PS: Mika was good but Lady Gaga's performance was really amazing, by the way...:thumb_yello:

Edited by suzie

WAG is difficult to 'get' as a concept, Rain is difficult to sing live .... not really the best choices to promote the album with....:cool:

I wonder what would have happened if first single was I See You, the second one One Foot Boy and the third Rain and the fourth one Pick up Off the Floor...

I think Mika singing a ballad would have probably had the same 'shocking' effect on people when they first heard him with Grace Kelly....but :dunno: what do I know...

That is a very good point...And I always did feel that WAG was the wrong choice as first single, because the song is a bit too "teenager-y" for non fans and the general public to get, and Ran I really like, but it goes wrong very easily when he sings it live...I wonder what their strategy will be now, what to release and when, etc...

PS: Mika was good but Lady Gaga's performance was really amazing, by the way...:thumb_yello:

I thought that her performance was fantastic, fabulous voice, but that the song totally left me cold. I don't like that song very much tbh.

He sounds like I do when I am trying too hard to remember to breathe correctly so that I don't screw up, so I end up screwing up more than usual because I'm trying so hard to avoid screwing up. Blasted perfectionist tendencies.

Awwwwwwwwww ... it just makes you wanna give him a big hug .... or is that just me :blink:

:lmfao:

He sounds like I do when I am trying too hard to remember to breathe correctly so that I don't screw up, so I end up screwing up more than usual because I'm trying so hard to avoid screwing up. Blasted perfectionist tendencies.

Well, then if he's sounding wrong, the realist in him should come out and tell him that he's not getting it right, and he needs to change the tactic :naughty:.

It really makes me sad and I cringe whenever he does the strained falsetto, because other people (non fans) won't ever get to see his fantastic live performances, and they can't see his brilliancy if all they get is some strained over the top performance. I do feel that he hasn't been paying a lot of attention to his breathing technique for a while now. Sometimes it's painful to hear how you can very clearly hear the "gasping" sound before he sings a line, and that is something that you should never hear in singing.

Maybe he hasn't actually been practising his singing and working on his voice for a long time? These things need to be constantly trained, and maybe he hasn't been doing it. It's a shame really because he's so fantastic, and then occasions like these kind of take him back to square one when it comes to public opinion.

Awwwwwwwwww ... it just makes you wanna give him a big hug .... or is that just me :blink:

:lmfao:

I must be hyper critical and merciless, because instead of wanting to hug and comfort him, my reaction is to cringe and get a bit annoyed at him for being so stubborn and not singing in lower tones that he can actually do properly in a live performance :boxed:.

:naughty: He should really hire me, he'd get more constructive criticism than he can ever imagine if I worked for him, he would certainly NOT be adored and pampered :roftl:. As much as I admire and love him, I can't close my eyes to reality :wink2:.

Well, then if he's sounding wrong, the realist in him should come out and tell him that he's not getting it right, and he needs to change the tactic :naughty:.

It really makes me sad and I cringe whenever he does the strained falsetto, because other people (non fans) won't ever get to see his fantastic live performances, and they can't see his brilliancy if all they get is some strained over the top performance. I do feel that he hasn't been paying a lot of attention to his breathing technique for a while now. Sometimes it's painful to hear how you can very clearly hear the "gasping" sound before he sings a line, and that is something that you should never hear in singing.

Maybe he hasn't actually been practising his singing and working on his voice for a long time? These things need to be constantly trained, and maybe he hasn't been doing it. It's a shame really because he's so fantastic, and then occasions like these kind of take him back to square one when it comes to public opinion.

I must be hyper critical and merciless, because instead of wanting to hug and comfort him, my reaction is to cringe and get a bit annoyed at him for being so stubborn and not singing in lower tones that he can actually do properly in a live performance :boxed:.

:naughty: He should really hire me, he'd get more constructive criticism than he can ever imagine if I worked for him, he would certainly NOT be adored and pampered :roftl:. As much as I admire and love him, I can't close my eyes to reality :wink2:.

Well I do do the cringe and being abit dissapointed for him ... and then I just want to hug him ... I do wish sometimes he didn't do all the fancy falsetto stuff - because I do love his lower tones/voice - but I suppose it's part of who he is now .... it divines him as an artist and makes him abit different - and well I kind of like different :aah:

In performances where he's relaxed, he's perfectly capable of managing his air, but when he gets the nerves, the same thing happens to his body as everybody else's. The chest locks up and the air doesn't cooperate. Without the air you can't hit the notes.

Yes, it is down to nerves...On the acoustic tour he learnt it quickly that he shouldn't start the show with Lady Jane, for example... :teehee:

As opposed to some other artists who go off key when they get tired singing, he goes off key (doesn't hit the right note or the note high enough) when he is still nervous... So the most difficult songs should all be in the middle of the set when he is already calm, relaxed and familiar with the audience.

A further proof of his nerves working against him is that he basically talked himself into the King's Singers being professionals as opposed to him. As a result, he became so nervous he couldn't hit the first note after his speech...:roftl:

:blink:the realist part of his personality?:blink:

Where and when did you meet that one?:mf_rosetinted:

Rain is okay in the gigs when his fans are there, but NOT the best choice if he only has one song and millions of viewers, a lot of whom are Mika-haters and are just waiting for any excuse to diss him.

... yes, another song should have worked better probably for the 'masses', especially because he always sings this one now despite the fact that it flopped as a single in the UK. There are so many other great songs on the album he could promote TBWKTM with.

I think Rain not being the best choice for such an event is partly down to the fact that he is risking not hitting the right notes, partly because some people get annoyed by his falsetto (though that he cannot help and doesn't even want to) but also because the uptempo version of the song is basically almost impossible to be recreated live.

I wonder what their strategy will be now, what to release and when, etc...

Strategy?

We have seen the record company strategy in the advert on Mikasounds, and also their enthusiasm about WAG being released first as a surefire hit...

If they had a strategy of any sort, they would have released Rain as soon as it was clear WAG was not selling well anywhere...

The week after Robbie's new album came out I already saw a second video off his album being played on MTV. I think it must have been the mixed reaction the first single Bodies was received with. And they were so damn right..

as for Mika's strategy, I think it is to do it the way he thinks is best despite it all. :cool:

Edited by suzie

I totally agree with you. His fans should not be thinking "there there Mika, let me hug you better." A true fan SHOULD be constructive. If I had not been a Mika fan and had heard him singing Rain last night, I would not have been impressed and certainly would not have rushed out to buy the album. It's only because I know how awesome he can be that I wish he wouldn't put his voice through such acrobatics just for the sake of it. I also tend to think that he uses the falsetto unnecessarily. I prefer WAG without those high bits like "hiding" and "magpie". The song sounds better when he sings those parts in one key.

My son actually said that he didn't think Rain would be a hit, because Mika has trouble singing it, and he thought One Foot Boy might be the most unique one to release. While my husband likes I See You, and said that that could be a big hit. I also love Pick Up, as it is so soulful and would make anyone's heart melt towards Mika.

But there are so many people ready to insult Mika all the time and it upsets me when they do, so I wish he would, maybe, ask his fans' opinion sometimes, or hire someone to advise him who has his best interests at heart.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I totally agree with you. His fans should not be thinking "there there Mika, let me hug you better." A true fan SHOULD be constructive. If I had not been a Mika fan and had heard him singing Rain last night, I would not have been impressed and certainly would not have rushed out to buy the album. It's only because I know how awesome he can be that I wish he wouldn't put his voice through such acrobatics just for the sake of it. I also tend to think that he uses the falsetto unnecessarily. I prefer WAG without those high bits like "hiding" and "magpie". The song sounds better when he sings those parts in one key.

My son actually said that he didn't think Rain would be a hit, because Mika has trouble singing it, and he thought One Foot Boy might be the most unique one to release. While my husband likes I See You, and said that that could be a big hit. I also love Pick Up, as it is so soulful and would make anyone's heart melt towards Mika.

But there are so many people ready to insult Mika all the time and it upsets me when they do, so I wish he would, maybe, ask his fans' opinion sometimes, or hire someone to advise him who has his best interests at heart.

Sorry ... I'm not a true fan because I didn't criticise him -and said I wanted to hug him ... flipping piffle - I really think you should think before you write something - I take offence at that .... you be a fan the way you want to - don't tell me what to think or feel

I think the problem has more to do with his breathing than his range.

Breathing isn't a fully voluntary function. We do have some voluntary control over it, but we have to balance control with the natural need for oxygen. He's increasingly active on stage, which sucks a lot of oxygen. Throw nerves on top of that and the voluntary muscle control goes out the window.

He may very well be keeping up his vocal training, but not so much his aerobic training. In performances where he's relaxed, he's perfectly capable of managing his air, but when he gets the nerves, the same thing happens to his body as everybody else's. The chest locks up and the air doesn't cooperate. Without the air you can't hit the notes.

Yes and no. I was actually talking about two different things that I noticed: One being the "going off key" at the falsetto or high parts when his voice just can't hit the right note, which I don't think happens due to nerves but just due to the combination of the fast tempo of the songs and the notes themselves, and the second being the loud "gasping" sound that you can often hear before he sings each verse when he does a small acoustic type song, and this is just incorrect technique.You're supposed to breathe rythmically and not let the air in all at once and making such a loud noise:naughty:.

Re the aerobic training, I think that anyone who can pull off the shows that Mika does, jumping around for so long and singing at the same time, has an incredible aerobic stamina, so I don't think that his problem comes from there. He can sing well after jumping around for 2 hours, so he will definitely be capable of singing well while he only exerts himself for 3 minutes :teehee:.

Of course sometimes it's a matter of nerves, yes, and that was very evident when he started doing Lady Jane live for example, but there are quite a number of occasions where I have noticed this, and it didn't seem to be due to nerves or physical stress. Also, as a singer, if he really struggles with the nerves in the sense that it makes him breathe incorrectly, he needs to find a way to relax before a tricky song. I just don't think that it should be happening so often, that's all. Of course one can have bad days, etc, but if it always happens with a certain song, then the song or the singing aren't right :dunno:

Constructive criticism is important, but without the balance of "there's more to life than this one thing" it's just destructive. That road leads to overcompensation and self-destruction. I would rather he have someone nice to hug than go down that road.

:aah:I'm sure that he has nice people to hug, and that he won't take a little fan's criticism to heart in that way. Even in the (highly unlikely) case that he would read this, I'm quite sure that he knows how I like and admire him and his work, and that I support him despite being critical, so I can't see him becoming self destructive because of my input :lmfao:

Well I do do the cringe and being abit dissapointed for him ... and then I just want to hug him ... I do wish sometimes he didn't do all the fancy falsetto stuff - because I do love his lower tones/voice - but I suppose it's part of who he is now .... it divines him as an artist and makes him abit different - and well I kind of like different :aah:

Yes, I also like him being different, and he still is anyway (falsetto or no falsetto). I just rather he showcases himself in a more positive way, so that people see how amazing he can be, than shoot himself in the foot doing things like these :blink:, you know?

I'm glad that he isn't willing to settle and that he continues to strive to make use of his full range instead of sitting around going "tralala" in a comfortable range like certain other artists I could mention *COUGH*lillyallen*COUGH*

He struggles with it sometimes, but it gets it right more often than not. If he quit just because it wasn't always easy, I don't think he'd be the artist we all love.

That is the thing tough: he still sings other songs that are quite tricky, where he's using his full range without straining it. Example: Happy Ending, Pick Up Off The Floor, One Foot Boy...

He just needs to keep the high notes to songs that don't require him to go from A to Z too fast, which makes him do a half baked job otf it, that's all.

Yes, it is down to nerves...On the acoustic tour he learnt it quickly that he shouldn't start the show with Lady Jane, for example... :teehee:

As opposed to some other artists who go off key when they get tired singing, he goes off key (doesn't hit the right note or the note high enough) when he is still nervous... So the most difficult songs should all be in the middle of the set when he is already calm, relaxed and familiar with the audience.

Yep, I can also see that. Once he's all warmed up and relaxed, he sings everything much better. And the Lady Jane thing was a prime example, poor thing :naughty:.

... yes, another song should have worked better probably for the 'masses', especially because he always sings this one now despite the fact that it flopped as a single in the UK. There are so many other great songs on the album he could promote TBWKTM with.

I think Rain not being the best choice for such an event is partly down to the fact that he is risking not hitting the right notes, partly because some people get annoyed by his falsetto (though that he cannot help and doesn't even want to) but also because the uptempo version of the song is basically almost impossible to be recreated live.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. That Rain is too quick a change and too 'fast and upbeat' a song to get it right.

Strategy?

We have seen the record company strategy in the advert on Mikasounds, and also their enthusiasm about WAG being released first as a surefire hit...

If they had a strategy of any sort, they would have released Rain as soon as it was clear WAG was not selling well anywhere...

The week after Robbie's new album came out I already saw a second video off his album being played on MTV. I think it must have been the mixed reaction the first single Bodies was received with. And they were so damn right..

as for Mika's strategy, I think it is to do it the way he thinks is best despite it all. :cool:

Yeah, I sometimes really have doubts about the way Universal are handling things...

If I had not been a Mika fan and had heard him singing Rain last night, I would not have been impressed and certainly would not have rushed out to buy the album. It's only because I know how awesome he can be that I wish he wouldn't put his voice through such acrobatics just for the sake of it. I also tend to think that he uses the falsetto unnecessarily. I prefer WAG without those high bits like "hiding" and "magpie". The song sounds better when he sings those parts in one key.

I agree there, I do think that he sometimes uses it unecessarily. In WAG iI also prefer the way he does it without the high bits. And Pick Up is just absolutely stunning, especially live :wub2::wub2::wub2:

He always gets that one right and it's so beautiful.

I thought the acoustics and mixing for this show made him sound better than usual. :teehee:

Of course I can no longer be objective about his performances as I've pretty much OD'd on them. When Bublé came on afterwards I got goosebumps and that really doesn't happen with Mika, sadly.

As long as Mika is running around he's never going to be able to recreate these tricky vocals. When you're in the audience it doesn't matter, when it is mixed on a TV show it becomes a little more obvious. Unless he stands pretty much still like Leona Lewis, Adele, Mariah, etc. he's never going to have perfect vocals.

Perhaps in this case he could have gone the GaGa route as she has the same problems. It's always a trade off with her dancing performances and her voice and this time she chose to focus on her vocals.

I thought the acoustics and mixing for this show made him sound better than usual. :teehee:

Of course I can no longer be objective about his performances as I've pretty much OD'd on them. When Bublé came on afterwards I got goosebumps and that really doesn't happen with Mika, sadly.

As long as Mika is running around he's never going to be able to recreate these tricky vocals. When you're in the audience it doesn't matter, when it is mixed on a TV show it becomes a little more obvious. Unless he stands pretty much still like Leona Lewis, Adele, Mariah, etc. he's never going to have perfect vocals.

Perhaps in this case he could have gone the GaGa route as she has the same problems. It's always a trade off with her dancing performances and her voice and this time she chose to focus on her vocals.

i think she was more or less forced to focus on vocals, her sets aren't exactly queen friendly!

when he came on, i 'eeped' a lil' bit and when he walked on with miley at the end, well, somehow i thought they looked good together... then i slapped myself REALLY hard and now think against the idea :lol3:

x

Wow. That's the first time anything on the internet has ever made me throw up in my mouth a little bit....and I've been on the internet for 13 years.

I am equally impressed and appalled.

I missed the end bit ... I went to the toilet .... :lmfao: