REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for MIKA @ Enmore SYDNEY Nov 24 2009

Blue Sky

I just had this massive compulsion to show Mika every time he glanced my way that I knew every word, and was having the best time of my life. I screamed so much I have a sore throat and husky voice. And I still feel as though I lived every song with him and paid full attention to every word. The only song I managed to be mostly still for was I See You, and that was hard to do, but I needed to be able to remember that I had appreciated the song as much as I possibly could.

I’m feeling overwhelmed at the memory again, and I’m not sure where to begin next, so I’ll post this and think some more.

I am overwhelmed just reading this:tears::tears::wub2:

You describe so well how I felt at my only real Mika concert and I am sure more than ever I will feel like this next Monday too. When you are ready to write more, I will be thrilled to read it.:aah:

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At first, it was the standard result, but as the evening progressed, it very quickly became clear how contagious Mika is, and for the last few songs and the end it seemed ot me that the whole crowd was ecstatically on its feet and waving arms.

And singing.

I’ve never heard anything like it. From the beginning, every song, every word was being sung by enough of the audience to make it very clear to Mika and the band how well the entire crowd knew it all. I think it was Dr John that clinched it for me. It’s not being touted as a single, but it was the first song he played from the new album, and there was no lessening in the crowd volume at all!!! Same for Pick Up Off The Floor. If any two were going to be unknowns, I would have picked them. But everyone obviously loves them all.

So we had the songs, where Mika and the band were louder than the audience singing, but if you really wanted to concentrate fully and totally on hearing Mika, a little bit of effort was required. (That includes the effort to escape the draw of the voices and the need to join in again and be involved in the joy.) And then he would finish a song and the applause would start, and it did not stop until he started speaking or the first bars of the next song began, and we waited for the right moment to begin the singing. And it was singing, except for where Mika deliberately raised our volume, and we had to be louder. He was using us as a strong backing voice for his harmonies and we did it! That seems rare to me, and it usually seems that when he starts to try the harmony, the audience tries to go with him, rather than supporting him. But we did it! He was braver with that more towards the end, as you would understand, but wow!

And it’s not that the speaker volume was low. I was singing and screaming, and could only hear myself as a thin thread of sound. It was just the number of us involved that made us so loud. Have I said wow enough times yet?

wow indeed!! it's really amazing that an audience that as you said is usually quite tough was so enthusiastic this time:wub2:

and love how you wrote that people knew all the new songs!! thats what makes an album really successful when audiences know and love all the songs not a just a few hits.

Hey my name is Kylie. I am new to the fan club. I was a Big Girl last night and had the best time ever. All the members of the club are beautiful people and made me feel so welcome. We were sitting out the front of the waiting for the concert to start. Would have to say sitting out the front with the fan club was the best thing I have ever done. As I was sitting out the front Tegan asked me if I would like to try out to be a Big Girl. We went back stage where I met Mika's mum. She is such a wonderful lady. Sitting Back stage waiting to go on is when the nerves really set in. I would have to say it wasn't for the other 3 beautiful girls that were dancing with me on stage I don't think I would have been able to do it. We were sitting out the back and I saw Mika walk past OMG. It came to the time when we had to actually get changed the feeling is unreal. We heard the music start my heart started racing then it came time to dance. I went out there nice and scared lol only to find out that I had a ball. :biggrin2:

Once again I would like to thank the Fan Club for making me feel so welcome and will enjoy reading all the reports. Hope to catch to you all again soon .

welcome to the MFC!!! thanks for your lovely report!

:naughty: ah yes, boy do i remember.

at that point i felt so hopeless, so cut off from the world.. like everything to do with Mika wasnt really real.

i should have known better.. i'm a very determined person, and i always get there in the end. BUT. this is not a end. this is a BEGINNING. Because on my way back to where i was staying in the wee hours of this morning, i realised, i'm going to do this all my life. I'm always going to go see Mika as long as he keeps performing. The MFCers, the gig, MIKA .. i havent been so happy in a long time.. i waited and saved so hard for this concert.

I really hope Mika comes to NZ, if he doesnt, I'm already working out how much I need to save each week to have enough money to come back to Australia by October next year :naughty:

So it is October then?

Why was Cherisse talking about how they're coming back in Feb last night? =/

Hey y'all!!

After a long time lurking, and after meeting you lovely bunch, I feel able to post! It was a joy to meet you all. It was great seeing a live show again (last one I was was the Doug Anthony Allstars in 1994 and the one before that was when Split Enz disbanded for God's sake!!!!).

I loved the absolute BLAST of music from Orianthi. Holy CRAP! :punk: It was a wall of sound. So damn powerful. Despite her music being so vastly different from Mika's, I think she did BLOODY well for a support act, and enlivened the audience sufficiently.

I really hope that the tour in 2010 comes off, and that we get a gig in Canberra. Highly unlikely, but I REALLY dislike Sydney. (Apologies to those who live in Sydney) I need time to process the whole shebangabang, and will try to get my head together to post about the concert.

Yes, if you get a chance, have a chat to Owen. He was a lovely Welsh accent, and I wished I could have kept him talking more for that alone. A very nice guy. I was very concerned that all the crew look very tired. But ya know, that's just the mother in me. On a more reassuring note though, it is very evident that the whole group are very close knit and absolutely loving what they do.

His Nibs has a very loving environment and that's the main thing.

I am really inspired by this whole experience. I feel the need to attack my art supplies and journals. :dance_man:

I just had this massive compulsion to show Mika every time he glanced my way that I knew every word, and was having the best time of my life. I screamed so much I have a sore throat and husky voice. And I still feel as though I lived every song with him and paid full attention to every word. The only song I managed to be mostly still for was I See You, and that was hard to do, but I needed to be able to remember that I had appreciated the song as much as I possibly could.

I’m feeling overwhelmed at the memory again, and I’m not sure where to begin next, so I’ll post this and think some more.

I am overwhelmed just reading this:tears::tears::wub2:

You describe so well how I felt at my only real Mika concert and I am sure more than ever I will feel like this next Monday too. When you are ready to write more, I will be thrilled to read it.:aah:

Omigod Blue Sky - I was just about to quote the exact same part.:shocked:

I feel the exact same way at his gigs.

Maybe it's a universal Mika fangurl feeling. :naughty:

suzy, i am not quite sure who u are talking about :S haha i'm new

Babspanky? She is a long time contributing supporter/member of this place (and MIKA) and a very good friend who would find your little story about Owain instructing you Big Girls how to dance and shake your booty very, very amusing! :roftl:

And btw, (where are my manners?) WELCOME! The MFC is a place of so many awesome people as you have experienced meeting some of them :wub2:

You will be hooked. :naughty:

Hey y'all!!

After a long time lurking, and after meeting you lovely bunch, I feel able to post! It was a joy to meet you all. It was great seeing a live show again (last one I was was the Doug Anthony Allstars in 1994 and the one before that was when Split Enz disbanded for God's sake!!!!).

I loved the absolute BLAST of music from Orianthi. Holy CRAP! :punk: It was a wall of sound. So damn powerful. Despite her music being so vastly different from Mika's, I think she did BLOODY well for a support act, and enlivened the audience sufficiently.

I really hope that the tour in 2010 comes off, and that we get a gig in Canberra. Highly unlikely, but I REALLY dislike Sydney. (Apologies to those who live in Sydney) I need time to process the whole shebangabang, and will try to get my head together to post about the concert.

Yes, if you get a chance, have a chat to Owen. He was a lovely Welsh accent, and I wished I could have kept him talking more for that alone. A very nice guy. I was very concerned that all the crew look very tired. But ya know, that's just the mother in me. On a more reassuring note though, it is very evident that the whole group are very close knit and absolutely loving what they do.

His Nibs has a very loving environment and that's the main thing.

I am really inspired by this whole experience. I feel the need to attack my art supplies and journals. :dance_man:

Hi Annie - I'm so glad you posted!

I'm just trying to gather my thoughts for what Mika said when, and all that, so when I get it wrong. please post again and fix me up!

Edited by mouselle
spelling

Many of these new reports reference Owain (part of the travelling Team Mika) - so thought I'd mention how much of a history this man has with us - here is an old thread that was started way back in his honour (and although, not too many people knew who the heck he was back then):naughty::

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10170&highlight=owain

Edited by Suzy

Babspanky? She is a long time contributing supporter/member of this place (and MIKA) and a very good friend who would find your little story about Owain instructing you Big Girls how to dance and shake your booty very, very amusing! :roftl:

And btw, (where are my manners?) WELCOME! The MFC is a place of so many awesome people as you have experienced meeting some of them :wub2:

You will be hooked. :naughty:

lol owen was pretty awesome and funny "shake your ass and tits girls" thats exactly what he said in his hot accent :P

oh and whos mana? haha

and thanks , the people i met yesterday were so amazing!!! i had so much fun. they we're all really fun and friendly and very generous considering i wasnt even part of the MFC

Many of these new reports reference Owain (part of the travelling Team Mika) - so thought I'd mention how much of a history this man has with us - here is an old thread that was started way back in his honour (and although, not too many people knew who the heck he was back then):naughty::

Thanks Suzy. He's new to me, so I'll enjoy checking out his thread as soon as I finish my report marathon!

Thanks Suzy. He's new to me, so I'll enjoy checking out his thread as soon as I finish my report marathon!

I'm sure WE are all much more interested in more of your details about THIS gig! :naughty: Keep it going! Loving it! :thumb_yello:

There's just something about reading fresh, new encounters from people who haven't seen MIKA before or in a very long time. I realize that it isn't even about MIKA himself, but more about almost re-living our own memories, emotions and feelings from our first time through your experiences :wub2:

Edited by Suzy

LOL suzy, another mistery revealed :naughty:

i always give up with hints in MFC, i feel discuraged not being part of the joke :naughty:

tell me

is he big big big? :blink:

I just had this massive compulsion to show Mika every time he glanced my way that I knew every word, and was having the best time of my life. I screamed so much I have a sore throat and husky voice. And I still feel as though I lived every song with him and paid full attention to every word.

I think a lot of people feel this up at the front and that's why he gets such an extraordinary response from his audiences. Sometimes I am really tired from travelling and queuing but I almost feel like, if I'm taking up a space in the front, it's my job to show that kind of support.

In Seattle they'd slipped in 3 rows of seats at the front that were sold 48 hours before the gig. You could see Mika having to work harder to get the energy of the room up with the people in the front not playing the role in the same way that really big fans always do.

Oh! What a night!

Oh Ellen, I just loved your story. What surprises - one minute you think you're going to miss out on Mika being in Australia and the next thing you know you're in Sydney enjoying the gig and running into Mika by accident. Such a charming story and good for you to have the presence of mind to speak to him about your music, etc. I never would have!

Part 4 The concert. (What was sung and said and done)

Relax – the spaceman arrived with a blaze of energy that inspired us for the rest of the night. I have no doubt that there were people who had never seen Mika perform live before who were taken to a different world at that moment of that first dash and arrival at the front of the stage. Suddenly he was there. Blazing is the word that seems right. He owned the stage from that moment and never let us go.

Big Girl – it surprised me being so soon. Our girls (which includes all of them now!) did a fantastic job. I was so thrilled that our two newest ones got the chance and grabbed it. They sashayed beautifully, and it was so special watching big girls I knew and had queued with!

Stuck in the Middle – One of my favorite songs ever. I love the song, I love how Mika plays with it and changes it and he varied it again slightly for us, making it very special for me.

Dr John – Mika wore the orange feathered hat put it on and off, and at one point (not sure if it was this song or later) I was wondering if he was being tempted to throw it into the crowd, and had an idle thought wondering how hard he would find it to replace it! He was swinging it back and forth with a considering look on his face. ..

Touches you – a new favorite of mine. I haven’t been watching the US concert videos, so I am not sure if it was new, but he made a gesture I had not read of in the reports. When he sang the chorus line of ‘Touching me, touching you,’ he touched his forehead, lips and heart, each time.

Pick up off the floor – his first piano song of the day. With the piano right in front of me, I had the best imaginable view. The piano was turned enough so that he was almost facing me, and I could see a three-quarter face, and all of his body, just not all of his hands. He was so animated in the song, his face was making so many exaggerated movements as he was singing, so there are pictures of mouth wide open, others of tongue poking out, and he was still managing to sing every word. He seemed to me to be so fired up he could not contain himself to behave coherently. It was well beyond the usual level of ‘animated at the piano so the audience stays interested and involved’.

One foot boy – The one foot boy sign was passed to Mika, and he passed it through his legs, slightly suggestively, with a wicked grin, from behind to the front, and then passed it back a little later. It was more suggestive than lewd in my opinion.

He was making a gesture during the song that disturbed me, with a two finger gun to his temple, made with his hand flat against his cheek to not be very obvious about it. It was during the lines ‘Gonna shoot somebody Help me drive this craziness away’, which fits the lyric perfectly. Ok, I’m over being disturbed. It fit the lyric and I still love the song.

Blame it on the Girls. – With great delight Mika divided us into two groups for a competitive sing-off. I thought he was looking forward to it, as we had already been amply proving our willingness to sing all night. No encouragement required!

We did it twice, and it was clear that a little bit more warning or build up from Mika would be nice, as each time the team assigned to sing the first line was caught off guard, and floundered a little, letting the opposing team triumphantly sing much louder on the second line. Luckily the chorus repeats, and the first team could make a recover on the second pass. I was so pleased my team was voted winner twice, as we were definitely the side of the audience which was least inclined to jump and lean yearningly towards Mika with our arms outstretched. I felt the loudness of our singing satisfactorily redeemed our honor and asserted our commitment in a fully adult way (giggle).

Happy ending – I was thrilled he included this song in our show as we had wanted it last visit, but been denied due to his lack of a backing singer. Imma was fantastic, the song was fantastic, wow.

Billy Brown – it’s possible he was going to say something about the song before he started, as he often does, but he seemed to pause, and consider the volume of the audience noise, and just started playing the piano. From the first note, he had quiet, and then we sang. It was awesome. At the end, he did a finishing line about ‘Billy Brown broke his heart’, and I did a “huh, what? Now that’s a new twist on the story!” But he immediately went into the next song, and distracted me instantly.

I See You – It really is the classic, perfect song for fans, who adore from afar, and are barely and rarely known. It doesn’t matter to me what his reasons were for writing it. At the time he sang it to me, it was my feelings he was expressing. Hard to keep still, impossible not to be totally engrossed in listening. Luckily the rest of the audience sang nicely and covered my silence.

At the end of I See You, he moved to the piano for his next song, and said he had a confession to make. His band was going to laugh at him forever more, because he had made a gesture he had always mocked in others. He had thumped his fist on his heart twice then opened his arms to the audience. What was worse, he had done it twice! He then did it again at the piano to demonstrate what he meant. The band members were falling over themselves laughing at him. He looked up at us, and said “Way to spoil the mood!” Then he did the heart thump gesture as a parody of himself one last time. The band was still laughing.

He glared at them, and looked at the keyboard, moved his hands a little, then looked up and said, “What’s worse is, I’ve forgotten what f***g key the next song is in!” He glared at his still laughing band, and said something about,”And they’re not helping me yet!” Martin was still laughing and moved fairly slowly and casually to his song list on the floor and glanced at it before telling Mika, “A flat” (Martin got it right – I may have got it wrong).

Rain –It’s never been a song I like hugely, but it so works as a live song. Fabulous.

Somewhere before now he introduced his band. He left Cherise until last, and then said “I’d like to introduce my drummer, Bang Bang!” Cherise threatened him with her drumsticks, so he relented quickly, and said her full name properly.

This is all incredibly long, so I’ll post this far and carry on in yet another part.

Thanks for your encouragement, because I feel like I’m writing far too much, but I can’t stop! I need to remember it all!

My friend and I made a poster of a boy that said "blame it on the boys" and during the song he took it off us and danced a bit with it (and rubbed it between his legs? haha)

But I was in shock so didn't take pics. hopefully someone managed to get some.

Choo! It's you!

It's me! Mici! (mi-ki, Bianca you cheeky minx) aka Glue Girl.

I have Mika's intimate meet and greet with your poster filmed on my wee camera. I will post it soon when I figure out how...:thumb_yello:

I haven't posted anything yet about the gig because I have JUST GOT HOME.

Bloody tired.

No voice.

I will post very soon but before I go I have to say I have never had so much fun with so many out of tune people in my life! :naughty:

Mi-Ki

Oh! What a night!

I wasn't even meant to be going, but then at the LAST minute, as in, 3.30pm on the 24th (yesterday), my mum sped to my school and picked me up, telling me to hurry because she needed to get the other kids. She drove past their school and it wasn't until we were on the freeway that I realised where we were going. I started crying and saying thank you so much!

Flight left at 5.30, and from there we hurridly booked into our hotel and raced to Enmore.

I didn't get any photos as my mum forgot to pack the camera :sneaky2:, but that didnt matter

THE SHOW WAS AMAZING! Seriously, the best day of my life. He was so fun, so much energy. It was such an amazingly brilliant night. When he sung Happy Ending, I cried.

I was in such a good position too, floor! I didn't know but my mum had booked the tickets the day they were for sale! :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

My favourite song was Happy Ending and Lollipop.

However, that was not the best bit!

I went back to the hotel and attempted to sleep, but I was on such a high!

Then, today, I was walking around Sydney, the city, as I have only ever been there once before, 5 years ago. I decided to take the ferrie to Manly (LOVELY!), and as I was getting off, back into Syndey, I decided, for no reason, to go for a walk down the not so known areas. I was walking for hours and my mum called telling me that I needed to meet her at the Opera House in 30min. So I was in a VERY big hurry. I walked so fast down all these streets and roads and as I was running, I accidentally bumped into a man coming out of a radio station building.

The conversation went as follows:

Me: Oh, ****, I'm sorry

Man: Hehehehe, it's okay.

Me: *Look up as I recognised the voice* OH MY!

MIKA: :blink: what?

Me: You're Mika

Mika: Am I?

Me: I think so

Mika: You're right

Me: :biggrin2: I saw you last night

Mika: Really? Did you like it?

Me: YES! You're like...my idol and rolemodel.

Mika: You want to be a skinny male, or do you sing?

Me: Both! Nah, I joke. I sing badly

Mika: Sing!

Me: okkayyy, *sings a few lines of like a virgin by madonna (first thing that came into my head*

Mika: Oh nice. You're quite good. Do you play instruments?

Me: Umm, violen, piano and trumpet

Mika: Amazing.

Me: Sorry, you're probably very busy. I shall leave you to it

Mika: I best be off, see you again sometime? Maybe at you're own show?

Me: Oh, I don't know about that. But I hope I see you live again, maybe when I move to London?

Mika: When?

Me: 2012

Mika: Just in time for the Olympics. Yes, you definatly will. And if I ever need a violen player, I'll give you a call

Me: You don't have my number

Mika: True, I'll ask you for it at the next gig. Make sure you come round and annoy me after the next show

Me: I will :biggrin2:

Mika: See you later.

As he ran off heaps of other people started going after him, and his bodyguardy people (who were standing next to him during our entire conversation) were trying to get people away

I may not of met him at the show, but I still got my 2min convo with him:biggrin2:

Can I say Holy F***ing Hell?

Touches you – a new favorite of mine. I haven’t been watching the US concert videos, so I am not sure if it was new, but he made a gesture I had not read of in the reports. When he sang the chorus line of ‘Touching me, touching you,’ he touched his forehead, lips and heart, each time.

I first noticed it in LA although he may have done it before. Mana and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows and I said "Who the hell has been touching Mika since Montreal?" :das:

He had really ramped up his performance since the first couple of gigs. Definitely one of the highlights of the night for me and it was a shame that after LA he was hampered by the foot brace.

Somewhere before now he introduced his band. He left Cherise until last, and then said “I’d like to introduce my drummer, Bang Bang!” Cherise threatened him with her drumsticks, so he relented quickly, and said her full name properly.

Didn't he call her Bam Bam (from the Flintstones) the other day or did I just imagine that? I wasn't paying close enough attention but that's what I thought I heard.

Thanks for taking so much time with your report. I'm really enjoying it!

asking if he's big in size, or maybe i'm misunderstanding who he is:teehee:

No he's just average size, not very tall, definitely not heavy. :naughty:

He's usually close at hand in the wings behind Mika's keyboard because he looks after Mika's vocals and keyboards and a few other things.

I first noticed it in LA although he may have done it before. Mana and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows and I said "Who the hell has been touching Mika since Montreal?" :das:

He had really ramped up his performance since the first couple of gigs. Definitely one of the highlights of the night for me and it was a shame that after LA he was hampered by the foot brace.

Didn't he call her Bam Bam (from the Flintstones) the other day or did I just imagine that? I wasn't paying close enough attention but that's what I thought I heard.

Thanks for taking so much time with your report. I'm really enjoying it!

Bam Bam would be far more appropriate for her! I love it! Thank you!