Mika's new "kick-ass" single

LilStar

Sorry :blush-anim-cl:

I was only looking at the Mika article - I've only just noticed the other ads :blush-anim-cl:

I'll take myself off to the naughty corner :sad:

No it was an honest mistake.

Here is the article for those who shouldn't go there:

Mika's kicking ass

It has been widely debated that Mika stepped through an enchanted wardrobe or fell into a large rabbit hole after celebrating the New Year, but now he’s back from Neverland and planning to kick some chart-topping 'ass', with...wait for it...Kick Ass.

Mika's new single is featured on the soundtrack to the upcoming action/ comedy/drama of the same name. The film's about a despondent teenager who adopts a superhero identity to fight crime, but with no special powers in his fingertips. Mika, whose fingertips are itching with talent, will be welcomed back with open arms by devoted fans, who anticipate another number filled with high-pitched wailing, piano bashing and dancing on living room furniture.

Yet, this track is more designed for nightclubs and Facebook house parties, which is a slight departure from his sugar coated debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. The average Joe turned superhero theme will appeal to socially inept, day dreamers who are likely to be absent from G-A-Y past midnight. But this is strangely addictive and it won’t take long for the superhero in all of us to surface on the dance floor; just don’t blame it on too much vodka

I love the article!

Mika will kick ass with Kick-Ass!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mika's kicking ass

It has been widely debated that Mika stepped through an enchanted wardrobe or fell into a large rabbit hole after celebrating the New Year, but now he’s back from Neverland and planning to kick some chart-topping 'ass', with...wait for it...Kick Ass.

Mika's new single is featured on the soundtrack to the upcoming action/ comedy/drama of the same name. The film's about a despondent teenager who adopts a superhero identity to fight crime, but with no special powers in his fingertips. Mika, whose fingertips are itching with talent, will be welcomed back with open arms by devoted fans, who anticipate another number filled with high-pitched wailing, piano bashing and dancing on living room furniture.

Yet, this track is more designed for nightclubs and Facebook house parties, which is a slight departure from his sugar coated debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. The average Joe turned superhero theme will appeal to socially inept, day dreamers who are likely to be absent from G-A-Y past midnight. But this is strangely addictive and it won’t take long for the superhero in all of us to surface on the dance floor; just don’t blame it on too much vodka

I love the article!

Mika will kick ass with Kick-Ass!

That's a brill article! T4P!!

A "single" is not a track on an album. It's a product in and of itself - back in the day it was a physical disc with an A and B side. The majority of music buyers don't have a use for this product anymore because they can simply buy the track on the album whenever they want to and have done away with physical media players.

They don't even have to wait to hear this song on the radio because as soon as the album is available they can preview it on iTunes, on the artist's website, etc.

This whole concept of a single is obsolete from the music buyer's perspective. The #1 song on the charts on any given week is meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Blame It On The Girls was a hugely popular song with the record buying public. Getting tons of radio play, video play, etc. How on earth could it compete in unit sales with, say Madonna's premiere single of her as-yet-unreleased album in any given week? It could easily be the case that millions of people already own a copy of BIOTG because they bought TBWKTM or even bought the BIOTG track 3 or 4 months before the single was released. What would possess them or anyone else to run out and buy it on the day the record company decides that this song is now going to be a single?

The traditional singles concept doesn't have any use in the year 2010 except for record companies to have an excuse to keep pushing their artist with radio and TV and just generally trying to get them more attention.

The only way to make the single a desirable product again is, like Caz Girl said, when there are no individual album tracks available at all times to mitigate the impact of a single release.

So basically the fact of the matter is that iTunes and similar pay-per-track services have changed the commercial music landscape, and no one has figured out yet exactly how to keep up.

It's interesting what people have been saying about physical singles. I don't recall being able to buy physical singles here even 10-15 years ago, well before iTunes came into the picture. If you wanted to own a song, you had to buy the whole album. Looking back, I can't recall seeing physical singles in shops here since the days of cassette singles - where A side and B side mean just that - literally. :old:

You argue that singles aren't relevant - well, neither are albums. Nowadays, are people even buying whole albums? Looking at my own music-buying habits, I only buy albums if I'm really enamoured with the artist and will buy everything they release, or if I've researched the whole album and believe I will listen to the vast majority of the songs. So what motivation is there for people to buy whole albums? If you can cherry-pick the three songs you like best for $3, why spend $10 on a whole album?

I'm abit of a sucker for a proper single release ... most of the bands I've followed over the years have had really good b-sides ... (Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Garbage, Franz Ferdinand etc etc etc) so I've bought everything just for those - I love being able to buy stuff on 12" or 7" record ... I love owning a CD single ... I'm abit of a hoarder really ... It will be a shame to have that end ... but I know it probably will ... :aah:

I'll keep collecting up until then though :wub2:

So basically the fact of the matter is that iTunes and similar pay-per-track services have changed the commercial music landscape, and no one has figured out yet exactly how to keep up.

It's interesting what people have been saying about physical singles. I don't recall being able to buy physical singles here even 10-15 years ago, well before iTunes came into the picture. If you wanted to own a song, you had to buy the whole album. Looking back, I can't recall seeing physical singles in shops here since the days of cassette singles - where A side and B side mean just that - literally. :old:

You argue that singles aren't relevant - well, neither are albums. Nowadays, are people even buying whole albums? Looking at my own music-buying habits, I only buy albums if I'm really enamoured with the artist and will buy everything they release, or if I've researched the whole album and believe I will listen to the vast majority of the songs. So what motivation is there for people to buy whole albums? If you can cherry-pick the three songs you like best for $3, why spend $10 on a whole album?

You're right, splitting an album into its constituent tracks has almost rendered the album obsolete. The whole music industry is in a mess.

There's still a big market in the UK for physical singles. The sale of 7-inch vinyl singles actually went up last year. And I would still rather have a CD than an MP3 version of an album, the sound quality is so much better. But then I suppose if people only listen on an iPod they don't really care. :dunno:

Traditionally singles are "tasters" for albums, but if the single really is dead, how will people ever get to hear new music? Radio stations tend to stick to the familiar and I think it will become even harder for new bands to break through. Even for established acts, if you don't make the Radio One playlists you have no chance of decent sales.

Hopefully there will be a way forward out of this. I know a lot of bands are experimenting with different ways of releasing their music, it will be interesting to see if any model really works.

Traditionally singles are "tasters" for albums, but if the single really is dead, how will people ever get to hear new music? Radio stations tend to stick to the familiar and I think it will become even harder for new bands to break through. Even for established acts, if you don't make the Radio One playlists you have no chance of decent sales.

Exactly. This is exactly my point. Singles are meant to promote the album, which is why I think singles should be released first and then the album last.

haha, cassette singles... we never got those in germany, it went from records straight to CDs. :naughty: i only owned one cassette single in my life (back for good by take that), which i had ordered from the US. :teehee:

have been buying 7" singles since the 80s though, they're just cool, and cd singles all through the 90s up until now. of my fave artists of course, but also of songs i liked, but didn't want to buy the whole album. meanwhile you mainly get the charts and new releases as cd singles in record stores, but up until a few years ago, there were as many cd singles as there were albums in the shops, they had several shelves for them. :bleh:

Mika's kicking ass

Good article:thumb_yello: At least this kind of UK on line press trully appreciate Mika. :wink2:

Ohhh!! We get to choose our own songs for our cinema's playlist now :naughty: Yeah you know what's coming, I wrote down Mika's "Kick Ass" song. They can't promise anything (:sneaky2:) but at least I tried, and if it does get played in my cinema people will hear it. And of course I shall answer all questions related to the song :biggrin2:

Ohhh!! We get to choose our own songs for our cinema's playlist now :naughty: Yeah you know what's coming, I wrote down Mika's "Kick Ass" song. They can't promise anything (:sneaky2:) but at least I tried, and if it does get played in my cinema people will hear it. And of course I shall answer all questions related to the song :biggrin2:

That's great news CG!

aaaaah, bavaria's no.1 radio station bayern3 played kick ass today! :woot_jump: it was on a request show this afternoon, some dmfc members had written them during the week to request it, and they called one of us back and played the song! :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

sadly i've missed it. :sad: written them to ask when they'll play it again. :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by mellody

Oh. The UK is so much different from the Netherlands. I don't expect such problems here at all.

Is it okay to put up posters of the film then?

:naughty: That was just a guess, AMP - I don't know if he changed the title.

The posters are up in all the cinemas ( I feel like adding a little sticker : "Featuring the brilliant new single by Mika" :teehee:)

:naughty: That was just a guess, AMP - I don't know if he changed the title.

The posters are up in all the cinemas ( I feel like adding a little sticker : "Featuring the brilliant new single by Mika" :teehee:)

I thought you meant the BBC changed the title.

You should add the sticker, and take of pic of it too!:naughty:

The song is on Radio 2's playlist!

Mika: We Are Young.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/music/playlist/

Wow, that's great! France is really behind the UK on that one, I haven't heard Kick Ass anywhere or even heard that Mika was involved in a movie soundtrack yet. But even the movie in itself is not mentioned much. Maybe they'll talk about it when he's in Paris this week..