2010 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS - Mika in Cornwall @Eden , 27-JUN

robertina

My first Mika concert last night and he was amazing ! The Eden Project was a perfect location - he really made me feel good. :thumb_yello:

Does anyone know the set list from last night? thanks

You know what, I tried to remember but got stuck after 4 songs lol

wow.... I was there last nite, and am so so sooo jelous of u guys getting to actually meet him!

was the first time ive seen mika, and wow.... im now totally head over heels.

Im new to this forum, and joined up because of the most amazing nite of my life....

Im still buzzing, it was just....wow..... Im loving everyones piccies and stories, i so wish id had met him!

wow.... I was there last nite, and am so so sooo jelous of u guys getting to actually meet him!

Im new to this forum, and joined up because of the most amazing nite of my life....

Im still buzzing, it was just....wow..... Im loving everyones piccies and stories, i so wish id had met him!

Don't worry AngieBee, there's always the next gig :wink2:

ha ha totally the same i was enjoying it all too much! :biggrin2:

Welcome both of you, what a gig to see him at for the first time, it was incredible!

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time and the pics and reports are amazing- thanks everybody

I can only second that!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE for the fantastic pics and detailed reports. Wish i could've joined you there...:wub2:

But i am so much looking forward to see some of you @ Fringe in Edinburgh in august for the first time! Can't wait! :wub2:

The bands look great. I had no idea you were doing these. The glow in the dark is a nice bonus.

They came up as an idea in the RSVP thread - I think Buttons had got some made for herself for Amsterdam, anyway she knew the website - I'm not quite sure how I ended up being the one getting them :dunno:

But it was great that Mika wore one too :biggrin2:

This is my report, although I think that there's no way that I'm going to be able to do the gig justice!

My daughter (Alice) and I arrived at about 4pm, having had the easiest drive ever from Looe in Cornwall. We set off at 3pm and found that there were almost no cars on any of the roads. It appears that a lot more people in England were following the football than here in Wales!

We were directed to the furthest car park from the venue, which I thought was a bit mean of Eden, saving all the closest spaces for the people who arrived later. It was a nice walk down the hill when we arrived, but an absolute killer at the end, when we had to climb back up at midnight.

I met Kath almost as soon as we had got inside, who explained the weird queuing “system” to me. It looked pretty unpredictable so we went for a walk around Eden and took in the sights for an hour or so. After watching the sound check (an unusual treat), we joined one of the two queues in the hope that we might get to the front. We probably would have managed it if it hadn't been for the people who turned up just before the gates were opened and pushed in. I didn't see a single MFC member do this, which in a way makes it even more annoying, because the pusher-ins don't even care enough to join us!

We ran full speed to the front and got 2nd/3rd row behind Vicky and Rose, which is my ideal spot, I was next to Silver and we shared a great view of Diana Vicker's cleavage. It wasn't really my type of music and I didn't expect to like her, but she was ok and she came across well in the way that she handled the button disaster.

It seemed like a very long wait until Mika finally came (maybe it was just the heat and all the waiting that stretched the time), but when he started it was the usual thing of completely forgetting how tired/hot/hungry/thirsty etc you are.

For me, this gig was outstanding in lots of ways, but mainly the setting. Eden is really gorgeous and being a deep valley, there were great views of it from the stage area, which is near the bottom of the valley. To be outside on a warm summer's evening and watching Mika is pure heaven. I loved the way that he played up to the theme of Eden by decorating the stage so extravagantly with hundreds of flowers (mainly sunflowers) and the floral backdrop was stunningly beautiful. His coat and hat with flowers on were both great and as for Imma's dress......well I'm sure sure that we all want to be Imma anyway, but she really did look magical in that dress.

Now I'm at the part where I'm supposed to write what I thought of his performance and comment on the individual songs, but I can never really do this. I must apologise for spending most of the gig in a dream-like state and can't recall individual aspects of it. All I can say, is that Mika was as addictive as ever, his singing beautiful and totally captivating, his every expression totally absorbing. I can't take my eyes off him when he's on stage and wouldn't notice if the sky caved in on me!

…........back down to earth for the practical stuff:

There wasn't much pushing or shoving in the crowd, but there was a steady nudging effect that resulting in us all being shunted sideways and poor Silver ended up losing much of her good view.

I was hoping that Alice might get lifted over the barrier like she did in Bristol, but the nice security bloke explained that it was against the rules when Vicky asked him. All the staff there, especially the security blokes seemed very friendly and helpful. I really don't think that they knew what to make of Mika fans, they'd obviously never come across a crowd quite like us before.

At the end we couldn't decide whether to wait around to try and see Mika or not, but Alice more or less begged me to let her stay. That made the decision a lot easier because I didn't have to feel guilty about keeping her up so late. There was a huge crowd of people waiting and I really didn't think that he'd do any signings. When he came out, he was so sweet and lovely and signed for dozens of people, which took him ages. The security guys had made a point of going round asking everyone not to take flash photos in Mika's face and yet some stupid, ignorant, inconsiderate morons insisted on dazzling him with their flashes. I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd just left at that stage, he must have been tempted! Being the lovely person that he is, he carried on working along the barrier and he even signed Alice's giant sunflower and my freak T-shirt, which was the icing on the cake of what was already an amazing evening.

It was great to meet all the MfCers again, it's a big part of what makes it so special. Big thanks to Jazzy for the T-shirt and Silver for the brilliant (literally!) wristbands. I had offered a lift to Allegra, Vicky and Silver, but a bus to St Austell turned up at exactly the right moment and I was going in the opposite direction, so they hopped on it and we set off home. The drive back was lovely. I normally hate driving in the dark, but it was a moonlit night, the roads were empty and we were on a Mika high. We got home at about 1pm, but I bet that we were asleep before a lot of the others!

What a gig...........loved every bit of it!:biggrin2:

My photos:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=54170&id=1582965744&l=c49f5fa958

Part 2...

Mama P came out in this long, light green coloured dress (green? greeny-blue?) and there was quite a few of us hoping to be picked. Mama P stood there ages wondering who was going to be who and didn't *really* want to turn anyone down. Mama P did look at me a couple of times though and smiled. I kinda wonder if she knew who I was. I had my Fokker hoodie with me so maybe she saw that. Anyway she picked 4 or 5 slim girls to be lollipop girls and I was like "Oh God, that's me out. There's no way I'm going to fit into a Big Girl costume" so I really thought there was no hope, but she looked at me and said "would you like to be Big Girl?" or something, so I replied "yes, thank you very much" and I smiled and she smiled and I walked out of her way so she could view everyone else. Sharonkitty, Disturbed Angel and their friends were picked, as were Jazzy, Ingie and Freddie but you aleady know that.

(off topic, Maria - the backstage crew person - saw my Fokker hoodie and she went "Oh I got mine the other day! They're lovely and comfy." :aah:)

As soon as I was picked for Big Girl I had a sudden minor panic attack inside as I remembered that Big Girls wore the huge masks and Lollipop Girls wore the veils. I was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my God. This is going to be horrific.

We walked inside and we practiced the march, Mama P grabbed my arm and placed me behind the last lollipop girl lol. So we started marching backstage pretending to hold flowers (we weren't throwing them at Mika at this gig) and Mama P stood there looking at everyone as we practiced.

So then we grabbed our stuff again and went behind the actual stage. I had my Fokker hoodie wrapped round my waist as it was getting bothersome holding it all the time :aah: I saw Sunshine and I smiled and said hello. He said hello back but I don't know if he knew who I was since we'd never met before lolz. I then saw Owain again and there was Fortune and John, Andy was there and he was talking to Freddie and then I saw Yasmine out and about about wearing her Fokker hoodie. No idea why, seeing as it was so hot :aah: We also saw Mika walking around wearing shorts, a while polo shirt (I think?) and his Kick Ass glasses. He said hi to a few people including me.

So then Mama P rounded us about and we tried on the corsets. I was second to last and I knew I was gonna be in blue, but Mama P tried on these different colours first and I was thinking "you know what, I'm really not quite this big" lol :roftl: I was wearing a baggy top though, so maybe that threw her off :roftl: She kept going "no it's too big, too big..." and she spent quite a while with me. I thought "oh dear, I'm going to be chucked out." but then she found a blue corset and went "perfect!" Phew.

After that we tried on the masks and I thought ohhhhhhh my God. Jazzy tried to reassure me though, saying that it really wasn't that bad or that heavy. So I tried on the orange one and...well. It wasn't as claustrophobic as I thought it was going to be as there was quite a bit of space, but the peek hole - which is the nose - was kinda high up so I couldn't really see a great deal. There were a lot of holes as well (the teeth?) but they were also hard to see out of. What I did was that I tilted my skull back a bit so I ended up having more of a gap and the bottom so I could see my feet more clearly. The skulls were hard to control though and kept wobbling about all over the place whenever you moved. Nevertheless, I survived the test and took it off.

We then told to leave and come back at 8:15, so we went. On my way out I walked past this tall woman and I looked up at her and realised it was Imogen Heap! I was like "whoa", and thought that maybe they'd sing "By The Time." I didn't bother her though so I just walked out and went back to the queue to meet up with the others.

We all went out in single file and I saw iMMa and Cherisse heading our way. They were saying hello to people as they walked passed and then they got to me and recognised me, so iMMa stopped and said "hello! How are you doing?" So I got to chat with iMMa and Cherisse for a bit. One of the other big girls stayed at chatted with them too but I can't remember who it was :blush-anim-cl: Anyway we talked about the Lebanon gig (iMMa said the cushions kinda hurt LOL) and about how I was burning (honestly, wearing factor 30 does nothing for me apparently :roftl:) and I told them that I was gonna be a Big Girl and they were like "Oh wow!" so we said goodbye and I said that I'd see them later.

6:30 came round quickly and everyone was let in the venue. MFC got front row! (As far as I know anyway) so I stayed with the other Fokkers whilst I killed some time. Nature soon called though so I went to the toilet and met up with Ingie, Fred and Jazzy. Ingie recorded me for the Birthday Project and time soon passed, so it was time for me to leave. (the other 3 didn't need to be there that early.)

So I left and then Maria came out wearing her Fokker hoddie! We waited a few minutes and then we got taken in to wear our costumes...

part 3 on the way! (longest report I've ever done I think :roftl:)

omg i was picked but i was terrified !!!!!

i had 2 say i couldn't do it

at least i said i couldnt before i got back stage

i think im probs the most unconfident person in the history of the mfc ahhhhh!!!

never mind theres always a next time ( i hope ):shocked::shocked::shocked:

omg i was picked but i was terrified !!!!!

i had 2 say i couldn't do it

at least i said i couldnt before i got back stage

i think im probs the most unconfident person in the history of the mfc ahhhhh!!!

never mind theres always a next time ( i hope ):shocked::shocked::shocked:

Oh was that you???? You were right next to me when you told Mama P that you wanted to do it but wasn't sure, and Mama P said that it was okay. That was you, right? Oh honey, hopefully there will be more gigs. Don't let your shyness get in the way! :)