It sort of confuses me that he's -apparently- working with so many different people at the same time, this time. I fully trust his decisions, though.

Is it usual for artists to do that, having several producers or whatever work on one single album?

I think it was also a practice on his previous album (Rain).

But the leading and main producer of the entire material should be Greg Wells, like before?:wink2:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan Wilson, who co-wrote Adele's "Someone Like You" has been working on two songs with Mika. He says the album is going to be amazing. :groovy:

Mika scoffs at Twitter and Facebook eh? :shun:

Before I went to my beloved lexicon I thought it meant barking, like a dog, but the translation true is even worse!:shocked:

Thanks Christine for the info!:wub2:

Thanks for the info Christine! :thumb_yello: This is interesting!

I can suddenly see a lot of new information, maybe even vlogs coming... Lol, how did you mods do this? :biggrin2:

The mods are tireless and just fantastic! To the mods!:flowers2:

It sort of confuses me that he's -apparently- working with so many different people at the same time, this time. I fully trust his decisions, though.

Is it usual for artists to do that, having several producers or whatever work on one single album?

Yeah, to me it raises the question: How much if Mika will it be on his third album?

I'm sure collaboration is good but to a certain extent I believe!?:boxed:

Greg has produced Katy Perry but not all of her tracks. So I think it's normal to use several producers on an album these days.

I think it was also a practice on his previous album (Rain).

But the leading and main producer of the entire material should be Greg Wells, like before?:wink2:

Mika didn't use different producers on TBWKTM. Rain was produced by Mika and Greg. The only other involvement was Imogen Heap. She tweeted that she was mixing By The Time on Pro Tools before she sent it off to Greg.

I don't know WHAT Mika is doing this time. And I find it ridiculous that we have to hear snippets from other people. If he needs to keep things under wraps for marketing purposes I understand that, but obviously others are free to talk about it to a certain extent. It sounds like he just can't be arsed.

I hope he realizes when he says he scoffs at Facebook and Twitter he is saying he scoffs at the almost 1.7 million people who use them to follow what he's doing. I mean he's not a Luddite for heaven's sake. He uses the internet himself, so he's not exactly ignorant.

Greg has produced Katy Perry but not all of her tracks. So I think it's normal to use several producers on an album these days.

Mika didn't use different producers on TBWKTM. Rain was produced by Mika and Greg. The only other involvement was Imogen Heap. She tweeted that she was mixing By The Time on Pro Tools before she sent it off to Greg.

I don't know WHAT Mika is doing this time. And I find it ridiculous that we have to hear snippets from other people. If he needs to keep things under wraps for marketing purposes I understand that, but obviously others are free to talk about it to a certain extent. It sounds like he just can't be arsed.

I hope he realizes when he says he scoffs at Facebook and Twitter he is saying he scoffs at the almost 1.7 million people who use them to follow what he's doing. I mean he's not a Luddite for heaven's sake. He uses the internet himself, so he's not exactly ignorant.

exactly... when I read about it this morning I promise I was about to unfollow him (sending him a F*CK YOU BASTARD in advance). I didn´t.... but I´m not happy about it...

Like Christine mentioned, Mika has never worked with more producers on his previous albums: he recorded and produced all the songs with Greg with the exception of BTT, which is pretty much Imogen's song, anyway. Their collaboration worked because Greg understands Mika really well. Although at the moment we have still no evidence that the album will be produced by more people, I must say I wouldn't mind it, as I do think it is healthy to work with different producers occasionally so that artists can renew a bit.

Yes, it is getting increasingly common that artists work with several producers on one album but I think it is because songwriting and producing is getting unseparable nowadays: songs are basically (re-)written with all those electronic sounds and layers (not sure about the professional words for these) so there is no clear dividing line between a writer and a producer.

Mika has so far been following a more traditional way of songwriting on his albums, so there was no need for the producer to feature in the songwriting credits or the other way round. However, if he worked with William Orbit, for example, I can imagine that guy's name to turn up as a producer but more likely, both a songwriter and a producer.

Yeah, to me it raises the question: How much if Mika will it be on his third album?

I'm sure collaboration is good but to a certain extent I believe!?:boxed:

I am actually looking forward to more collaborations as Mika feeds from these people. There were songwriting collaborations on the first two albums as well (basically, every other song has a co-writer), so Mika must have figured out by now which type of collaborations /songs work and which ones do not. Also, he might have particular people in his mind he'd like to work with so that he can get the sound he wants for the third album.

I think it was in this thread where you were mentioning the type of sound you are expecting. I'd say I'd like to hear a brave versatility in musical style.

exactly... when I read about it this morning I promise I was about to unfollow him (sending him a F*CK YOU BASTARD in advance).

He wouldn't have noticed it, anyway... :naughty:

Like Christine mentioned, Mika has never worked with more producers on his previous albums: he recorded and produced all the songs with Greg with the exception of BTT, which is pretty much Imogen's song, anyway.

Thank you both. I already knew that, though.

Yes, it is getting increasingly common that artists work with several producers on one album but I think it is because songwriting and producing is getting unseparable nowadays: songs are basically (re-)written with all those electronic sounds and layers (not sure about the professional words for these) so there is no clear dividing line between a writer and a producer.

I didn't know this, thanks again. But I see writing/composing and producing as two very different things...

:dunno:

I´m not offended if da boss should have said it... after nasty comments and stuff I would propably think a bit like that...

:biggrin2:

Yep. Translate this Spanish saying if you feel like it, I reckon it's hard to:

Él tiene la sartén por el mango.

:original:

Yep. Translate this Spanish saying if you feel like it, I reckon it's hard to:

Él tiene la sartén por el mango.

:original:

"Er hat die oberhand"

"He has the upper hand"? <-- sounds weird^^

that`s definetly true

"Er hat die oberhand"

that`s definetly true

I can translate it into english,but as I don´t know the meaning leiRe wants to give to that sentence,and since she speaks english way better than me,maybe she could translate if for you,or maybe explain the meaning.....

The only people who have the upper hand are the millions of people who might buy his new album if he were to talk to them. His comments are delivered right to their inboxes for free and by choosing not to utilize it the only person who suffers consequences is Mika.

Are people seriously suggesting that because a handful of people didn't like a clown pic that Mika should burn his entire online fanbase? Do you think he's that stupid? That infantile?

Unbelievable. :rolls_eyes:

"Er hat die oberhand"

that`s definetly true

:aah:

Got it!

sarten.jpg

What I meant was more or less HE is the boss, the one who makes decisions. You may like them, or not, but that's the way it is.

:thumb_yello:

Viel Spass!

What I meant was more or less HE is the boss, the one who makes decisions. You may like them, or not, but that's the way it is.

I think it goes without saying that Mika is calling the shots but - to use an English phrase - he is shooting himself in the foot.

Dan Wilson worked with Mika on "Life in Cartoon Motion" album... so I think that this new album will be really amazing!!! :wub2:

Where did you hear this? I don't think he's written songs with Mika before.

:aah:

Got it!

sarten.jpg

Viel Spass!

thank you^^

I thought the same about the meaning and I think your opinion of it is right aswell...

In my opinion there is nothing to add to this but one thing I can`t say often enough^^ : I can`t wait for the next album and I think it will be amazing and different and great because ...well... I liked every music he did so far:biggrin2:

The only people who have the upper hand are the millions of people who might buy his new album if he were to talk to them. His comments are delivered right to their inboxes for free and by choosing not to utilize it the only person who suffers consequences is Mika.

Are people seriously suggesting that because a handful of people didn't like a clown pic that Mika should burn his entire online fanbase? Do you think he's that stupid? That infantile?

I don't think his problem is negative comments, he must know every public person gets them, even much worse. But he seems to have an attitude problem with twitter in any case :teehee: He is losing some opportunities, that's for sure. But he is back on twitter (some random tweets), we are waiting for vlogs. There is hope :naughty:

thank you^^

I thought the same about the meaning and I think your opinion of it is right aswell...

In my opinion there is nothing to add to this but one thing I can`t say often enough^^ : I can`t wait for the next album and I think it will be amazing and different and great because ...well... I liked every music he did so far:biggrin2:

Did he? I had no idea! :blink:

On which track/s?

Where did you hear this? I don't think he's written songs with Mika before.

I read it on Google and if you look the Wilson's site you'll read that he worked with Mika before

I think it's another Dan Wilson :blink:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-wilson/31/47/907

Work Placement were i helped out on creating Mika's Life In Cartoon Motion album cover.

Yes he's another wilson who worked with Mika

Thank you both. I already knew that, though.

Yes, sorry for starting with that paragraph. I only inserted it as someone said otherwise and I thought it was worth repeating.

See my answer to your question in the second paragraph - I just talked too much :teehee:

I didn't know this, thanks again. But I see writing/composing and producing as two very different things...

:dunno:

Yes, this is the traditional way of writing and producing tracks in popular music. What I was referring to is that the concept of the songwriter and producer keeps changing and in some cases it is merging into one. If you think of songwriter-producers like Timbaland, for example, adding such trademark sound is technically engineering but it shapes the song to the extent that these people now get the songwriting credits, too, even if they have nothing to do with either the melody or the lyrics of the song.

I certainly hope that's not the case. I can't imagine for one minute that Mika is childish enough to shun his entire digital audience because a handful of people didn't like a clown picture. :doh:

Yes, Mika is calling the shots. He's a big boy and is free to do whatever he pleases. But I agree, he's shooting himself in the foot.

If you think of songwriter-producers like Timbaland, for example, adding such trademark sound is technically engineering but it shapes the song to the extent that these people now get the songwriting credits, too, even if they have nothing to do with either the melody or the lyrics of the song.

You mean adding a couple "eh, eh"s and a few "fiki-fiki"s? :roftl::freak:

Archived