I can't imagine Mika doing anything BUT a mixed bag. I don't think there's anything wrong with electronics as long as the vocals are authentic. Madonna's Ray of Light is a brilliant album and it's not all dance even though it's electronic.

I don't think electronic music would present any difficulties in performing. Many of Gaga's songs are piano-based even if they are produced to be something else on the album and she does accoustic versions live.

There is something artificial about Relax, even in the muted vocals...but we all know how that turned out live. :wink2:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But electronic music is too common nowadays, it becomes boring. I don't think Mika's music can be boring, but I prefer him to stay out of fashion, to be not like others (as he was all these years).

Yes, my opinion differs from the opinion of many people here, but it is because I'm more into rock music (Queen fan still lives inside of me :naughty:). Sometimes I hear amazing parts of guitar music at gigs. I wonder - was it Martin's idea, or Mika took part in composing that guitar snatches?

I would think even if Mika did something dancey it would still be organic - like Rain.

Greg says the new music is contemporary but who knows what that means. Even his use of the word "contemporary" makes me think of something that is new relative to decades rather than what is hot this year.

One thing I'm almost certain of is that none of these clues are going to give me any indication of what it's going to turn out like. Greg's and Mika's and Andy's interpretations (contemporary, like Glee, painfully genius, coolest song ever, etc., etc.) are not going to mean a thing when I hear it for myself. :wink2:

I remember what he said in the interview after Brazil festival.

He said...he doesn't belong in one type of music, and,

the 3rd CD sounds like classic, 17~19's pure pop, also, it is more poppy than the second album. Extremely melodic.

There's one thing I can sure: He will never disappoint us.:blush-anim-cl:

Greg says the new music is contemporary but who knows what that means. Even his use of the word "contemporary" makes me think of something that is new relative to decades rather than what is hot this year.

I have been thinking about "contemporary" since Greg's tweet. I mean, I even use that word myself when I talk about design or different styles, but I don't know what it means in this case...

I remember what he said in the interview after Brazil festival.

He said...he doesn't belong in one type of music, and,

the 3rd CD sounds like classic, 17~19's pure pop, also, it is more like pop music than the second album. Extremely melodic.

There's one thing I can sure: He will never disappoint us.:blush-anim-cl:

I know we will love his new album :mf_lustslow: It will be something different, I wish we had some tiny hints about it already...

I have been thinking about "contemporary" since Greg's tweet. I mean, I even use that word myself when I talk about design or different styles, but I don't know what it means in this case...

I know we will love his new album :mf_lustslow:It will be something different, I wish we had some tiny hints about it already...

Yea, In one interview (I think at Istanbul's) he told that 3rd album will be Different than LICM and TBWKTM..!!

One thing I'm almost certain of is that none of these clues are going to give me any indication of what it's going to turn out like. Greg's and Mika's and Andy's interpretations (contemporary, like Glee, painfully genius, coolest song ever, etc., etc.) are not going to mean a thing when I hear it for myself. :wink2:

yes.. I remember the expectations I had about the gospel choir in the first single of the second album and how it was meant to be his best song to date ..etc :blush-anim-cl: and then the first time I heard the chorus :boxed: (:naughty:)

I have been thinking about "contemporary" since Greg's tweet. I mean, I even use that word myself when I talk about design or different styles, but I don't know what it means in this case....

Actually, I can't really interpret the word 'contemporary' for popular music since it makes sense only in terms of classical music for me and I'd expect Greg to use it in that context, too, given his background. :dunno: If he used the word in that context my fear is that it would be too experimental and that Mika would use voice distortion..etc.:aah:

However, I know that in the US mainstream pop music from the likes of Miley Cyrus and Adam Lambert is also referred to as 'adult contemporary', so Greg might have simply meant that the songs are mainstream pop music, which we all guessed, anyway. :teehee:

So, I basically have no clue what to expect :dunno:

Actually, I can't really interpret the word 'contemporary' for popular music since it makes sense only in terms of classical music for me and I'd expect Greg to use it in that context, too, given his background. :dunno:If he used the word in that context my fear is that it would be too experimental and that Mika would use voice distortion..etc.:aah:

However, I know that in the US mainstream pop music from the likes of Miley Cyrus and Adam Lambert is also referred to as 'adult contemporary', so Greg might have simply meant that the songs are mainstream pop music, which we all guessed, anyway. :teehee:

So, I basically have no clue what to expect :dunno:

Same here

it is more like pop music than the second album. Extremely melodic.

I'm not sure how he can get more poppy than TBWKTM :naughty:. Unless by "more pop" he means "more commercial". :fisch:

The American Idol judges like to throw around the word "contemporary" when critiquing contestants, and usually it seems to be a way of saying "appropriate for widespread radio airplay in today's musical climate". And of course we want Mika to get airplay, but with radio today eating up the likes of Ke$ha, I'm a little worried. :naughty:

yes.. I remember the expectations I had about the gospel choir in the first single of the second album and how it was meant to be his best song to date ..etc :blush-anim-cl: and then the first time I heard the chorus :boxed: (:naughty:)

How freakin' exciting was it to watch that vlog and hear those choir snippets for the first time? I STILL get a tingly feeling watching that bit even now. That said I'm more than happy with the way WAG turned out. I loved it from the first play. :wub2:

If he used the word in that context my fear is that it would be too experimental and that Mika would use voice distortion..etc.:aah:

No, no, NO! :aah: The best thing about Mika is that he can really, really, REALLY sing. I do enjoy some edgy, electronic stuff coming from, say, the Black Eyed Peas - like this song:

But coming from Mika it would be such a waste. I would be open-minded if he dabbled in that for one song, but if he releases a whole album of stuff with distorted vocals I think I'll give up on music altogether. :roftl: That's one of the problems I have with Gaga's Born This Way. There's just way too much going on, and her vocals are strange and don't take centre stage. Maybe I'm just old-school in my unwavering appreciation for singers who, you know, sing. :blink:

How freakin' exciting was it to watch that vlog and hear those choir snippets for the first time? I STILL get a tingly feeling watching that bit even now. That said I'm more than happy with the way WAG turned out. I loved it from the first play. :wub2:

I loved it too but it was nothing like what he described it to be. Even with audio and video clips and a full background on why the choir was included, etc. it did not turn out the way I expected.

That's why I think it's pointless to analyze vague statements about an album that has probably not even been produced yet. Even when he says things like "it will be different from the last 2 albums" or "now I'm free to make the music I want". If I recall, that's what he said when he was making TBWKTM :naughty:

The American Idol judges like to throw around the word "contemporary" when critiquing contestants, and usually it seems to be a way of saying "appropriate for widespread radio airplay in today's musical climate". And of course we want Mika to get airplay, but with radio today eating up the likes of Ke$ha, I'm a little worried. :naughty:

I understand, thanks for explaining! Hahah, that makes me a bit worried, but we must trust him... :naughty:

I'm not sure how he can get more poppy than TBWKTM :naughty:. Unless by "more pop" he means "more commercial". :fisch:

No, no, NO! :aah: The best thing about Mika is that he can really, really, REALLY sing. I do enjoy some edgy, electronic stuff coming from, say, the Black Eyed Peas - like this song:

But coming from Mika it would be such a waste. I would be open-minded if he dabbled in that for one song, but if he releases a whole album of stuff with distorted vocals I think I'll give up on music altogether. :roftl: That's one of the problems I have with Gaga's Born This Way. There's just way too much going on, and her vocals are strange and don't take centre stage. Maybe I'm just old-school in my unwavering appreciation for singers who, you know, sing. :blink:

Hey! There's nothing wrong with Ke$ha :shun:

She has SOME pretty decent songs. :naughty:

Hey! There's nothing wrong with Ke$ha :shun:

She has SOME pretty decent songs. :naughty:

Sure. And a lot of people are getting nice and rich off of what she's creating. And it's as "contemporary" as it gets in terms of having a market in the Top 40 charts and on radio.

But... can Ke$ha sing? Like really sing, on a technical level, without the aid of autotune? Does she have any desire to release songs that have more substance than just singing about getting drunk and partying?

Not as far as I've seen. So if she wants to keep doing what she's doing, all the power to her - people enjoy her stuff, so good for her. But unless she proves otherwise I'm going to write her off as a music industry confection, nothing but a candy-coated fad in a Ke$ha shaped package. :roftl:

Maybe it's music snobbery, maybe it's bias, but I consider Mika to be more talented than that - a real musician. Which is why I hold him to a higher standard than I hold Ke$ha.

So do I need to go to Youtube and find Kesha? She really has that symbol in her name? Should I have heard about her? :roftl: (I can't find the symbol now)

Obviously I have no idea about "contemporary" :lmfao:

The best thing about Mika is that he can really, really, REALLY sing. I do enjoy some edgy, electronic stuff coming from, say, the Black Eyed Peas - like this song:

defo!

would die if mika throws himself into techno, over the top altered vocals

I dont like Lady Gaga's new songs >_< she became too much for me with Born this Way

Sure. And a lot of people are getting nice and rich off of what she's creating. And it's as "contemporary" as it gets in terms of having a market in the Top 40 charts and on radio.

But... can Ke$ha sing? Like really sing, on a technical level, without the aid of autotune? Does she have any desire to release songs that have more substance than just singing about getting drunk and partying?

Not as far as I've seen. So if she wants to keep doing what she's doing, all the power to her - people enjoy her stuff, so good for her. But unless she proves otherwise I'm going to write her off as a music industry confection, nothing but a candy-coated fad in a Ke$ha shaped package. :roftl:

Maybe it's music snobbery, maybe it's bias, but I consider Mika to be more talented than that - a real musician. Which is why I hold him to a higher standard than I hold Ke$ha.

Again, I agree with every word.

There are songs just for fun - on the top for a month, but then forgotten forever.

And there is a high-quality music (even if it's pop music), like Relax, Happy Ending and so on - you know themselves.

So do I need to go to Youtube and find Kesha? She really has that symbol in her name? Should I have heard about her? :roftl: (I can't find the symbol now)

Obviously I have no idea about "contemporary" :lmfao:

Yes, apparently replacing the "s" with a dollar sign makes her cool... or something. :mf_rosetinted:

Featuring brilliant lyrics such as:

I'm just talkin' true

I'm tellin' you 'bout the sh*t we do

We're selling our clothes

Sleepin' in cars

Dressin' it down

Hittin' on dudes

So do I need to go to Youtube and find Kesha? She really has that symbol in her name? Should I have heard about her? :roftl:

I think this is the most well-known song by her: (Tik Tok)

It is totally similar to Katy Perry's California Girls as the song has the same writers and producers. :cool:

I mention this as an example of how 'contemporary music' (I'm using this as the American English term for chart music) is very much driven by the latest trend that changes every 2-3 years. 4-5 years ago, for example, you'd find every other artist working with Timbaland , Jay-Z or Pharrell Williams whilst now it is TheRedOne and David Guetta everyone wants to collaborate with as it is now them seeming to know what it takes to make hits.

Same goes for pop songwriting: it is now Dr Luke and the likes, earlier it was 'The Matrix' team, in the 90s W. Afanasieff and Desmond Child who seemed to have the magic formula for hit songs, although I must add in recent years songwriting and production has merged into one since these producers just operate with their computers.:puke:

Basically, the instant you hear a song you can recognise which producer stable it is from. I find it bizarre as I consider it conveyor belt music and I hate when established artists whore themselves to the latest trends.:aah:

But... can Ke$ha sing? Like really sing, on a technical level, without the aid of autotune?

Probably not.:naughty: It is her image and the producers she is working with (as defined by her record company) that distinguish her from Rebecca Black.

As for the use of voice distortion, I liked it in Kanye West's Stronger and it was all new and innovative then. However, it makes no sense to use it merely for the sake of making something sound 'contemporary' - read 'fashionable' in this case.

There are exceptions, of course, for artistic reasons, where voice distortion is justified. For example, George Michael used it for his latest single as it was about him dealing with his drug problems... Still, I must add I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy songs where I can hear his proper voice.

I like Tik Tok, but I heard her album and all her songs are all similar, about getting drunk at hardcore parties, and the beats of the songs are all similar.

Unless she can show some versatility. Maybe sing a ballad. I doubt she will last very long.

You seem to make out that music HAS to be natural and organic to be good. It doesn't, alot of people use different techniques in their music, and it if people enjoy it at the time, then I don't why that is a bad thing? :dunno:

Alot of her songs aren't about having fun and 'partying'. Some are about relationships, some are about bad times.

Yes, I agree. Mika is alot more appealing and 'talented' to us, but it doesn't mean we can go round naming people that we think are useless, and cheap and mainstream. I just think it's unfair. You wouldn't do it to people you know.

I can't explain it properly. But it feels like you are using her as a 'mainstream, crap singer' label, when she's actually pretty good. :naughty:

You seem to make out that music HAS to be natural and organic to be good. It doesn't, alot of people use different techniques in their music, and it if people enjoy it at the time, then I don't why that is a bad thing? :dunno:

Alot of her songs aren't about having fun and 'partying'. Some are about relationships, some are about bad times.

Yes, I agree. Mika is alot more appealing and 'talented' to us, but it doesn't mean we can go round naming people that we think are useless, and cheap and mainstream. I just think it's unfair. You wouldn't do it to people you know.

I can't explain it properly. But it feels like you are using her as a 'mainstream, crap singer' label, when she's actually pretty good. :naughty:

I must agree with you. :teehee: I like Mika, but I like Kesha too. (and you don't NEED the dollar sign, it's just the way she usually spells her name - it's not THAT important. :wink2:)

I think this is the most well-known song by her: (Tik Tok)

It is totally similar to Katy Perry's California Girls as the song has the same writers and producers. :cool:

I mention this as an example of how 'contemporary music' (I'm using this as the American English term for chart music) is very much driven by the latest trend that changes every 2-3 years. 4-5 years ago, for example, you'd find every other artist working with Timbaland , Jay-Z or Pharrell Williams whilst now it is TheRedOne and David Guetta everyone wants to collaborate with as it is now them seeming to know what it takes to make hits.

Same goes for pop songwriting: it is now Dr Luke and the likes, earlier it was 'The Matrix' team, in the 90s W. Afanasieff and Desmond Child who seemed to have the magic formula for hit songs, although I must add in recent years songwriting and production has merged into one since these producers just operate with their computers.:puke:

Basically, the instant you hear a song you can recognise which producer stable it is from. I find it bizarre as I consider it conveyor belt music and I hate when established artists whore themselves to the latest trends.:aah:

---

There are exceptions, of course, for artistic reasons, where voice distortion is justified. For example, George Michael used it for his latest single as it was about him dealing with his drug problems... Still, I must add I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy songs where I can hear his proper voice.

Thanks for the Kesha link! :thumb_yello: I admit I didn't listen to the whole song, her voice is like an old door :aah: ( I can't describe it in English :roftl: ). But now I know who she is. (Edit: Don't want to sound disrespectful, that was just how her voice felt in my ears, I don't listen to many artist generally).

About GM. I really didn't enjoy listening to his voice like it was in his new single. But I actually bought it, because I want to support him and I hope he will make new music and we can hear his beautiful voice again :wub2:

Yes, apparently replacing the "s" with a dollar sign makes her cool... or something. :mf_rosetinted:

Featuring brilliant lyrics such as:

I'm just talkin' true

I'm tellin' you 'bout the sh*t we do

We're selling our clothes

Sleepin' in cars

Dressin' it down

Hittin' on dudes

Just noticed this one too, thanks! :thumb_yello: I think I will just patiently wait for Mika's new music :teehee:

I like Tik Tok, but I heard her album and all her songs are all similar, about getting drunk at hardcore parties, and the beats of the songs are all similar.

Unless she can show some versatility. Maybe sing a ballad. I doubt she will last very long.

+1

I liked Tik Tok when I heard it the first time...it was fun and not a serious song... but it had been played in the radio every second and I don`t consider it ,well good enough that it has to played all the time (do`t want to offend anyone)...

she came shortly after lady gaga didn`t she??

Archived