You seem to make out that music HAS to be natural and organic to be good. It doesn't, alot of people use different techniques in their music, and it if people enjoy it at the time, then I don't why that is a bad thing? :dunno:

That's not what I'm saying. If you read my post you'd see I clearly stated that "if she wants to keep doing what she's doing, all the power to her - people enjoy her stuff, so good for her." What I'm saying is that I don't see any indication that Kesha is very much of a vocalist to begin with, so if her vocals are synthed up it's not much of a loss.

Yes, I agree. Mika is alot more appealing and 'talented' to us, but it doesn't mean we can go round naming people that we think are useless, and cheap and mainstream. I just think it's unfair. You wouldn't do it to people you know.

Where did I say Kesha was "useless and cheap"? :blink: And as for mainstream well, yeah, she's about as mainstream as it gets. :doh: But "mainstream" is not a synonym for "sh*t music". My point was that radio today seems to be leaning toward that overproduced Kesha-type sound, which is all well and good for her but doesn't do truly talented vocalists justice - and for Mika to make a record along that vein would be such a colossal waste of talent. Not worth it just to be "contemporary".

It's not just Kesha making music like that, but she's a good example. Or we could talk about

, etc. I'm not picking on Kesha, per se, but merely using her as an example of that current sound trend.

And yes, if a friend or someone I knew put out a crappy record I would absolutely tell him or her what I thought of it. :roftl:

I can't explain it properly. But it feels like you are using her as a 'mainstream, crap singer' label, when she's actually pretty good. :naughty:

I do think she's a crap singer, which is why it doesn't feel like a waste if her vocals are altered. :roftl: And on the other hand, people like Mika (and Lady Gaga) are amazing vocalists and I think that talent should be reflected in their songs.

+1

I liked Tik Tok when I heard it the first time...it was fun and not a serious song... but it had been played in the radio every second and I don`t consider it ,well good enough that it has to played all the time (do`t want to offend anyone)...

she came shortly after lady gaga didn`t she??

I also found her to be a bit overplayed. And I think she was about a year after Gaga, give or take.

Thanks for the Kesha link! :thumb_yello: I admit I didn't listen to the whole song, her voice is like an old door :aah:

Exactly. :lmao:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not what I'm saying. If you read my post you'd see I clearly stated that "if she wants to keep doing what she's doing, all the power to her - people enjoy her stuff, so good for her." What I'm saying is that I don't see any indication that Kesha is very much of a vocalist to begin with, so if her vocals are synthed up it's not much of a loss.

Where did I say Kesha was "useless and cheap"? :blink: And as for mainstream well, yeah, she's about as mainstream as it gets. :doh: But "mainstream" is not a synonym for "sh*t music". My point was that radio today seems to be leaning toward that overproduced Kesha-type sound, which is all well and good for her but doesn't do truly talented vocalists justice - and for Mika to make a record along that vein would be such a colossal waste of talent. Not worth it just to be "contemporary".

It's not just Kesha making music like that, but she's a good example. Or we could talk about

, etc. I'm not picking on Kesha, per se, but merely using her as an example of that current sound trend.

And yes, if a friend or someone I knew put out a crappy record I would absolutely tell him or her what I thought of it. :roftl:

I do think she's a crap singer, which is why it doesn't feel like a waste if her vocals are altered. :roftl: And on the other hand, people like Mika (and Lady Gaga) are amazing vocalists and I think that talent should be reflected in their songs.

I also found her to be a bit overplayed. And I think she was about a year after Gaga, give or take.

Exactly. :lmao:

I still think she's awesome :aah: And I haven't heard her live, so I don't really know about her singing, I think of it more like rapping weirdly :roftl: I still enjoy it :naughty:

Thanks for posting this, Eloise. I think there is nothing new he said now except for this bit:

"It’s very simplistic pop music, not as layered as the last one."

:mf_lustslow:

Wow! So it will be more like LICM then :wub2: - he seems to have realised he overdid with layering on some of the songs on the last album:teehee:

Thanks for posting this, Eloise. I think there is nothing new he said now except for this bit:

"It’s very simplistic pop music, not as layered as the last one."

:mf_lustslow:

Wow! So it will be more like LICM then :wub2: - he seems to have realised he overdid with layering on some of the songs on the last album:teehee:

I thought that quote was old - I read it before. :aah:

Anyway - I liked the layers... :teehee: They make the songs beautifully complex - like life. :biggrin2:

Anyway - I liked the layers... :teehee: They make the songs beautifully complex - like life. :biggrin2:

I think it just depends on the song. Besides, IMO, there is no use in overdoing the layers if in the end result some of the elements that would have made the song special are not even clearly heard, for example...

You seem to make out that music HAS to be natural and organic to be good. It doesn't, alot of people use different techniques in their music, and it if people enjoy it at the time, then I don't why that is a bad thing? :dunno:

I don't think it is merely about an organic sound most of us were talking about. I like several types of electronic music, for example, from instrumental ones (e.g. Jean Michel Jarre) via electronic dance (eg, Sonique) to electropop (e.g.La Roux). To me it is more about artistic credibility and 'authenticity' in terms of the truthfulness and sincerity of the music.

Let me also add that it is definitely just our personal taste based on which we are making our judgement if we like a certain performer or not. It is unavoidable to have opinions about music but, at the same time, it does not mean that we are judging the person based on the type of music they like :dunno:

But electronic music is too common nowadays, it becomes boring. I don't think Mika's music can be boring, but I prefer him to stay out of fashion, to be not like others (as he was all these years).

Yes, my opinion differs from the opinion of many people here, but it is because I'm more into rock music (Queen fan still lives inside of me :naughty:). Sometimes I hear amazing parts of guitar music at gigs. I wonder - was it Martin's idea, or Mika took part in composing that guitar snatches?

Come back 3 days ago on the discussion just to quote Lena..

This morning I listened the BG 2010 gig version with guitar intro instead of the bass line heard at the Parc des Princes

Much better IMO :mf_lustslow:

This morning I listened the BG 2010 gig version with guitar intro instead of the bass line heard at the Parc des Princes

Have you heard the version of Big Girl he did at the secret gig in LA in 2009? I'm not sure if he's done it quite like this before or since. I don't know if it's a coincidence that he happened to have both a brand new bassist and guitarist at this gig (Martin wasn't there) or what, but it sounded really cool :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]ItjhcplVWLo[/YOUTUBE]

Have you heard the version of Big Girl he did at the secret gig in LA in 2009? I'm not sure if he's done it quite like this before or since. I don't know if it's a coincidence that he happened to have both a brand new bassist and guitarist at this gig (Martin wasn't there) or what, but it sounded really cool :wub2:

And what I like most of all, is the guitar part before Love Today. It was cool at PDP, but in the 2010 tour it was even much more better! After the Death March - and guitar starts, so profound and breathtaking! I just shiver every time I hear it.

And in the end of WAG, esp. in the first part of tour, while he was packing his suitcase and put on his head - Martin is amazing :thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

And what I like most of all, is the guitar part before Love Today. It was cool at PDP, but in the 2010 tour it was even much more better! After the Death March - and guitar starts, so profound and breathtaking! I just shiver every time I hear it.

And in the end of WAG, esp. in the first part of tour, while he was packing his suitcase and put on his head - Martin is amazing :thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

That sucks :sneaky2:

I would have known immediately what you are talking about few months ago and now I'm unable to remember those parts :dunno:

Guess I need to review my classics tomorrow on my way to office :teehee:

I think it just depends on the song. Besides, IMO, there is no use in overdoing the layers if in the end result some of the elements that would have made the song special are not even clearly heard, for example...

I don't think it is merely about an organic sound most of us were talking about. I like several types of electronic music, for example, from instrumental ones (e.g. Jean Michel Jarre) via electronic dance (eg, Sonique) to electropop (e.g.La Roux). To me it is more about artistic credibility and 'authenticity' in terms of the truthfulness and sincerity of the music.

Let me also add that it is definitely just our personal taste based on which we are making our judgement if we like a certain performer or not. It is unavoidable to have opinions about music but, at the same time, it does not mean that we are judging the person based on the type of music they like :dunno:

Ok, I understand :thumb_yello:

I just got a little annoyed that you were kind of victimizing Ke$ha but I guess t's just unfortunate that some people don't like her.

And also, I like electronic music too :teehee: Have you heard The Hoosiers new album, it has some very electronic songs in it, but the singing is incredible and gives an awesome feel :naughty: Check out 'Say hello, wave goodbye'

I just got a little annoyed that you were kind of victimizing Ke$ha but I guess t's just unfortunate that some people don't like her.

It wasn't me first, though, I just jumped in your convo with lollipop_monkey... It might as well have been me though as her career is very typical of today's music scene, I think :teehee: However, it only means that she is well-known enough to be brought up as an example when discussing certain topics about pop music, so that is a good thing, I guess.

And also, I like electronic music too :teehee: Have you heard The Hoosiers new album, it has some very electronic songs in it, but the singing is incredible and gives an awesome feel :naughty: Check out 'Say hello, wave goodbye'

That's a Soft Cell song from the 80s, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTbWtacquk

The Hoosiers play pleasant pop music - I am not a fan but I like most of the songs I heard from them.

It wasn't me first, though, I just jumped in your convo with lollipop_monkey... It might as well have been me though as her career is very typical of today's music scene, I think :teehee: However, it only means that she is well-known enough to be brought up as an example when discussing certain topics about pop music, so that is a good thing, I guess.

That's a Soft Cell song from the 80s, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTbWtacquk

The Hoosiers play pleasant pop music - I am not a fan but I like most of the songs I heard from them.

The Hoosiers new album came out on monday, and that is the name of one of the new songs so it might not be on youtube yet. They are cool :punk:

What bands do you like? :biggrin2:

The Hoosiers new album came out on monday, and that is the name of one of the new songs so it might not be on youtube yet. They are cool :punk:

I found it on YT, that's how I know it is a Soft Cell cover :teehee:

What bands do you like? :biggrin2:

I am 'old' so my favourite bands and artists are from previous decades mainly from to likes of Queen via U2 to Blur ..etc. Also, I tend to judge them based on their whole portfolio, so only performers with a history can come into play... That's why I still wonder what made me think in early 2007 that Mika would stand the test of time :dunno: (Actually, I know the answer: it was the 4 song snippets I heard from him before the release of his first album :blush-anim-cl:)

I found it on YT, that's how I know it is a Soft Cell cover :teehee:

I am 'old' so my favourite bands and artists are from previous decades mainly from to likes of Queen via U2 to Blur ..etc. Also, I tend to judge them based on their whole portfolio, so only performers with a history can come into play... That's why I still wonder what made me think in early 2007 that Mika would stand the test of time :dunno: (Actually, I know the answer: it was the 4 song snippets I heard from him before the release of his first album :blush-anim-cl:)

:shocked: I never knew this :aah: I thought the words were a bit too odd for them. But ah well....

You, old? Surely not!

Mika shall last a long time. I often like artists that have distinct voices, and that have a bunch of songs I can love.

After reviewing of my classics this morning, I can't agree more :mf_lustslow:

I love a lot the end of WAG and the new intro of the song as well - also used as gig intro sometimes

And not to mention the end of GK :mf_lustslow:

The very first seconds of the vid...

[YOUTUBE]5B3lhRyqu-c[/YOUTUBE]

For some reasons, Martin reminds me sometimes The Edge of U2 in his guitar solos :wub2:. Remember Where the streets have no name for those who know :wub2:

Well.. in short, all that to say that I'm with you Lena about the idea of having rather a pop rock album than an electro one :naughty:

I really struggle with Yelle :huh:

I love a lot the end of WAG and the new intro of the song as well - also used as gig intro sometimes

For some reasons, Martin reminds me sometimes The Edge of U2 in his guitar solos :wub2:. Remember Where the streets have no name for those who know :wub2:

Well.. in short, all that to say that I'm with you Lena about the idea of having rather a pop rock album than an electro one :naughty:

You couldn't say it better! :thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

The very first seconds of the vid...

[YOUTUBE]5B3lhRyqu-c[/YOUTUBE]

You couldn't say it better! :thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

That's why I personally expect too.:teehee: Pop-rock inclination of the album, wich could also contain some electro elements but in a ballanced and quite Mikaish way. I'm sure he knows how to make this kind of eclectic sound.:thumb_yello:

Dan Wilson, who co-wrote Adele's "Someone Like You" has been working on two songs with Mika. He says the album is going to be amazing. :groovy:

Dan Wilson

Working on two new songs I wrote with Mika. He scoffs at Facebook and Twitter, so I'll tell you. This new album he's working on is going to be amazing.

Mika scoffs at Twitter and Facebook eh? :shun:

Dan Wilson, who co-wrote Adele's "Someone Like You" has been working on two songs with Mika. He says the album is going to be amazing. :groovy:

Thanks for the info Christine! :thumb_yello: This is interesting!

I can suddenly see a lot of new information, maybe even vlogs coming... Lol, how did you mods do this? :biggrin2:

thank you...that are good news...:biggrin2:

though mikas attitude towards the internet became deplorable:shun:

Seriously... he said that? Not Mika,I mean Dan...

Now I understand the tweets of yesterday.... :sneaky2:

It sort of confuses me that he's -apparently- working with so many different people at the same time, this time. I fully trust his decisions, though.

Is it usual for artists to do that, having several producers or whatever work on one single album?

Archived