I had to check that and I agree...:roftl:

It's like people choosing to eat cheap hamburgers instead of venturing out to a restaurant. Besides, the voice of the girl singing it is really annoying :aah:

Maybe he meant simple melodies, although I don't think William Orbit's technique is too complex, actually. He mixes musical styles but I don't think he uses that many layers. It sounds robust because he often uses echo but his style is quite simple, I think. :dunno:

... Little tiny off-topic bit - what about the people who hate going to restaurants, but love hamburgers, such as myself?

I think something like "It's like people choosing to use paper towels to clean their dishes instead of just going and getting a washcloth."

Is that about right? :teehee:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... Little tiny off-topic bit - what about the people who hate going to restaurants, but love hamburgers, such as myself?

I think that's fine, too. Simply different tastes :dunno:

I'd choose a restaurant as I prefer when more effort is put into something and what I eat tastes better, healthier and is more unique. Also, I love to choose from a menu instead of being presented limited options of the same type of food. That's why I used that comparison. :wink2:

I really really expect a song or maybe two where he takes his voice to the limit.. not only in falseto.. I mean... sorry don´t know how to say it in English.. in Spanish we say "to exploit" his voice :aah:

I'd prefer a limited but more special use of his falsetto and most songs be in lower ranges so that he could actually sing all the songs live in tune and without much effort.:teehee:

I'd prefer a limited but more special use of his falsetto and most songs be in lower ranges so that he could actually sing all the songs live in tune and without much effort.:teehee:

I like it when he sings in normal/lower ranges - it's sexy. :naughty: Like in the background of One Foot Boy. Mmh, harmonies. :teehee:

All I'm really worried about is him making another song in which he sings pretty much all of it in falsetto. For some reason I don't like Over My Shoulder as much as all the other songs. or maybe it's just the pitch. :dunno:

I love Overrated though, and he sings even higher in that. But not in falsetto constantly.

yes,that´s what I tried to say,but I can´t find the word in english... I don´t need his falsetto,but tbh,it´s his "trademark"... Mika wouldn´t be Mika without falsetto... But I love how Ring Ring sounds,and its style,and I mean... he can do amazing things with his voice even without falsetto,and that´s what I expect. Not all the songs,of course,he needs to do songs which are easy to play live,as you said,since his career is based in his performances more than in his sales ( I think ). And I´m sure he can... "exploit"? (again this word:aah:) his voice in one or two songs... (with or without falsetto)

This is the problem I've always had with RAIN. He sang it on a few shows on TV and the verse sounded wonderful each time, but more often than not, he struggled to keep the chorus in the right pitch.

I actually think his lower register is to die for! It sends shivers down my spine. I'm not saying that I hate the falsetto, but I don't think it's always necessary for him to use it. Less is more, as they say.

This is the problem I've always had with RAIN. He sang it on a few shows on TV and the verse sounded wonderful each time, but more often than not, he struggled to keep the chorus in the right pitch.

I actually think his lower register is to die for! It sends shivers down my spine. I'm not saying that I hate the falsetto, but I don't think it's always necessary for him to use it. Less is more, as they say.

Totally agree.. that's why I like it so much when he sings old French songs:wink2:

Yes, I was thinking of Rain and even WAG ( the 'running around again' bit ) when I wrote my comment. He performed these songs live at some UK tv shows in the autumn of 2009 and I can clearly remember how horrified I was by what I heard. :shocked: I think those tv appearances were actually counterproductive because of that. Different songs or acoustic versions would have worked much better.

Yes, exactly. Everyone remembers his falsetto when they think about him, now it's time everyone remembered him for his great new songs.

yes,that´s what I tried to say,but I can´t find the word in english... I don´t need his falsetto,but tbh,it´s his "trademark"... Mika wouldn´t be Mika without falsetto...

I understood you. I think the expression you were looking for is 'to use his full vocal range'. That's what I'd like to hear, too.

Totally agree.. that's why I like it so much when he sings old French songs:wink2:

Like this one. :swoon:

[YOUTUBE]mkvcNxioJxE[/YOUTUBE]

His voice is like bathing in a pool of caramel or something. :roftl:

I think the expression you were looking for is 'to use his full vocal range'. That's what I'd like to hear, too.

That would be great. I love the falsetto (acoustic Love Today is to die for), but Mika's lower register is painfully underrated. :wub2:

That would be great. I love the falsetto (acoustic Love Today is to die for), but Mika's lower register is painfully underrated. :wub2:

Absolutely agree. I also love Mika's high and low register. But have to recognise that his lower register is much manlier... LOL

I'm sorry, maybe it's not a very polite expression, but his voice when it "exploits" (as Rosa said before) drives me mad.

I think what put people off about TBWKTM was the unnecessary use of falsetto. WAG was far better live, for example, when he dropped the falsetto bits.

But I love songs like Touches You, delivered mostly in lower register but with the spine-tingling falsetto "perfect love" refrain at the end. I think that's what Rosa means by exploiting the full range of his voice.

As did Grace Kelly.

yes like this one...:wub2:

Absolutely agree. I also love Mika's high and low register. But have to recognise that his lower register is much manlier... LOL

I'm sorry, maybe it's not a very polite expression, but his voice when it "exploits" (as Rosa said before) drives me mad.

I love songs like Touches You, delivered mostly in lower register but with the spine-tingling falsetto "perfect love" refrain at the end. I think that's what Rosa means by exploiting the full range of his voice.

As did Grace Kelly.

Yes, I also think Rosa meant that she would prefer Mika singing more in the lower register and exploit his full range that way. He does use it, of course, but most of those songs are unknown as they were never singles. (Rosita, I hope you enjoy us talking about what you minght have possibly meant....:naughty: )

Actually, you often only realise how awesome his lower register is when he sings covers or snippets of songs like when he did Azzurro:teehee:

yes like this one...:wub2:

So do I :wub2:

I understood you. I think the expression you were looking for is 'to use his full vocal range'. That's what I'd like to hear, too.

But I love songs like Touches You, delivered mostly in lower register but with the spine-tingling falsetto "perfect love" refrain at the end. I think that's what Rosa means by exploiting the full range of his voice.

As did Grace Kelly.

I absolutely love how you explained it. It´s exactly what I meant,thank you for your help with my super nice english:mf_rosetinted:

First thing I thought when I listened Mika´s album was "woah,too much falsetto" :aah: and I still think that he would be more succesful exploiting the full range of his voice (yes,I´m copying and pasting:mf_rosetinted:) Let´s see what he´s doing....

Yes, I also think Rosa meant that she would prefer Mika singing more in the lower register and exploit his full range that way. He does use it, of course, but most of those songs are unknown as they were never singles. "](Rosita, I hope you enjoy us talking about what you minght have possibly meant....:[/b]naughty: )

Actually, you often only realise how awesome his lower register is when he sings covers or snippets of songs like when he did Azzurro:teehee:

So do I :wub2:

I do!!!!! :huglove:

Ok,I´ve been listenning carefully to all his songs and demos :aah: (yes my head is gonna explode:mf_rosetinted:) and what I meant is easy to see in songs like "I gave is all away" (the version where he sang it all by himself), the cover of "I guess that´s why they call it the blues" and Grace Kelly... in Grace kelly he uses all the ranges of his voice,and it´s fantastic. And covering sir Elton... he sounds.... :swoon:

Ok,I´ve been listenning carefully to all his songs and demos :aah: (yes my head is gonna explode:mf_rosetinted:) and what I meant is easy to see in songs like "I gave is all away" (the version where he sang it all by himself), the cover of "I guess that´s why they call it the blues" and Grace Kelly... in Grace kelly he uses all the ranges of his voice,and it´s fantastic. And covering sir Elton... he sounds.... :swoon:

rosa is :fangurl::mf_rosetinted:

:wub2:

I think what put people off about TBWKTM was the unnecessary use of falsetto. WAG was far better live, for example, when he dropped the falsetto bits.

As did Grace Kelly.

Yes, the "This isn't a perfect love" bit in TY is incredible. That's the right time for the Mika falsetto, in order to contrast with the rest of the song.

As did Grace Kelly.

I absolutely love how you explained it. It´s exactly what I meant,thank you for your help with my super nice english:mf_rosetinted:

First thing I thought when I listened Mika´s album was "woah,too much falsetto" :aah: and I still think that he would be more succesful exploiting the full range of his voice (yes,I´m copying and pasting:mf_rosetinted:) Let´s see what he´s doing....

ditto

I think he needs to keep his falsetto for more "special" parts of songs..GK is a perfect example. Because if all the song is high it gets monotone IMO

hahaha well I guess everyone here is craving lower pitched songs :wub2:

I haven't heard the version of Gave It All Away he sang himself, does anyone know where I could find it? Because I've looked everywhere :dunno: , but obviously not hard enough :aah:

It was never released officially so we shouldn't posts links to it on MFC.

Archived