Mikasounds and Twitter Update Thread (Part 7)

Fmbm

Jees, I hope no one opens a @Mikascar account now.

Golden Miat. :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: Don't give them ideas :roftl: It's white tho :mf_rosetinted: (sorry)

in my experience, driving in Spain and France are both dangerous!!:roftl::roftl:

that just might be because im not used to the round-point thingies where you turn...and turn.. and turn... :aah::roftl:

Around where I normally live, every damn village has a roundabout ... it's some kind of status symbol :roftl:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if the alternative's an American style 4 way stop :dunno: that's what I call weird

Well it's just that even at a 4 way stop it's no use making it a roundabout if it's just so small and not many people go through there anyway :aah:

at least is not as dangerous as driving on the LEFT SIDE!!!!!!

driving in valencia is not too hard... i needed to drive in madrid (when i went to mika´s gig there) and that was... :hair: tomtom said... "vaya por el carril de la izquierda" and there were like 8478937469827469823475 cars in the 7676585867 lanes at my left and i couldn´t reach that lane... i ended up in the other side of the town,totally lost... almost crying... AND WISHING TO KILL EVERYBODY!!!!! :mf_rosetinted: but that was in madrid... not in the mediterranean city as valencia or barcelona.... these two towns are wonderful...:mf_rosetinted:

You know, on this topic, I actually have a story. I drove on the right hand side in Spain for around 10 years before I started driving in Ireland (on the left side). Initially I found it really strange and kept whacking the door with my right hand when I was trying to change gears :lmfao: , but I quickly got used to it, AND found it easier and safer than driving on the right.

The reason for this is that, as a right handed person, I find it easier to control the wheel with only my right hand, than with only the left :dunno: So on the many occasions where you end up with only one hand at the wheel, like changing gears, changing cd's, or whatever, I find it easier if I am driving on the left like in the UK and Ireland. Once I got used to changing gears with my left hand, I actually prefered driving on this side, and when I go to Spain now and drive there, I still find it easier to drive here in the UK!

:lmfao: Don't give them ideas :roftl: It's white tho :mf_rosetinted: (sorry)

Around where I normally live, every damn village has a roundabout ... it's some kind of status symbol :roftl:

:shocked::naughty:

Well if the alternative's an American style 4 way stop :dunno: that's what I call weird

i like my 4 way stops:teehee::roftl::roftl:

You know, on this topic, I actually have a story. I drove on the right hand side in Spain for around 10 years before I started driving in Ireland (on the left side). Initially I found it really strange and kept whacking the door with my right hand when I was trying to change gears :lmfao: , but I quickly got used to it, AND found it easier and safer than driving on the right.

The reason for this is that, as a right handed person, I find it easier to control the wheel with only my right hand, than with only the left :dunno: So on the many occasions where you end up with only one hand at the wheel, like changing gears, changing cd's, or whatever, I find it easier if I am driving on the left like in the UK and Ireland. Once I got used to changing gears with my left hand, I actually prefered driving on this side, and when I go to Spain now and drive there, I still find it easier to drive here in the UK!

i was about to start this reply with a :shocked:... but i think you may be right... but i´ve been driving now for 15 years i think... yes,15 years,and though i´m a right handed person,i feel more confortable controlling the wheel with my left hand... my dad used to have an automatic car,so i didn´t need to change gears,and still,i managed the wheel with left hand..

but the fact is... if ALL THE WORLD drives on the right side... why do UK and (i know there´s another country... perhaps australia??) whichever do it on the wrong side?? i mean... not wrong.. but "the other" side?? even for the cars manufacturers it may be.... strange...

well,the UK always wanted to be different to europe...:teehee:

i was about to start this reply with a :shocked:... but i think you may be right... but i´ve been driving now for 15 years i think... yes,15 years,and though i´m a right handed person,i feel more confortable controlling the wheel with my left hand... my dad used to have an automatic car,so i didn´t need to change gears,and still,i managed the wheel with left hand..

but the fact is... if ALL THE WORLD drives on the right side... why do UK and (i know there´s another country... perhaps australia??) whichever do it on the wrong side?? i mean... not wrong.. but "the other" side?? even for the cars manufacturers it may be.... strange...

well,the UK always wanted to be different to europe...:teehee:

I guess it is ultimately down to individual preferences, so different people will find it different :dunno:

About driving on the left, I've discovered in recent years that there are quite a few countries where this happens, beside UK and Ireland. As you say, it happens in Australia, but also in New Zealand, South Africa, Japan...and in a few other places too, I'm sure.

Oh, and I am told by my Australian colleague that most of Asia drives ont he left except for the Philippines and a couple more places.

Basically, any country that used to come from the old Commonwealth control drives on the left, it seems.

I guess it is ultimately down to individual preferences, so different people will find it different :dunno:

About driving on the left, I've discovered in recent years that there are quite a few countries where this happens, beside UK and Ireland. As you say, it happens in Australia, but also in New Zealand, South Africa, Japan...and in a few other places too, I'm sure.

Oh, and I am told by my Australian colleague that most of Asia drives ont he left except for the Philippines and a couple more places.

Basically, any country that used to come from the old Commonwealth control drives on the left, it seems.

is it legal there in UK to drive with a "european" car??... i mean,i´m sure if you are there on holidays with your car,you have no problems,you just drive on the left side,and that´s all. but if you move to UK... can you "inscribe" your car there?? i can´t explain it in english.. so... quiero decir.. puedes dar de alta un coche alli,y pagar impuesto de circulacion y todo aunque lleve el volante al otro lado?? o te dan un rollo de esos "plan renove" para que deseches el tuyo o lo transformes?

except in Canada... I guess we decide to go with the US standard???:blink:

I read somewhere that the reason of this "British" exception (United Kingdom and former colonies) is Napoleon Bonaparte. Anyone knows if this is true?

edit: on the net I found other explanations given... the reason seems rather mysterious: some people say it was a strategic choice to fight the enemies (Napoleo's or Charlemagne's) at a time when knights were on horses.

:roftl::roftl:

and to say that i inspired that song:tears: *feels proud*:mf_rosetinted:

There is a verse as well, inspired by you of course. Here it is...

Is it really necessary

Every single day

You cut me off at the roundabout

When you know I have the right of way

My radiator started smokin'

I tried to call the RAC

But when some people stopped to help me

They said they were the MFC

I don't like thiiiis

Whatever lane it is

Baby I hate lanes like this

Caught on the roundabout

Now I'll never get out

When you turn and turn etc...

Is it really necessary

Every single day

I tried to call the RAC

I don't like thiiiis

Whatever lane it is

Caught on the roundabout

Now I'll never get out

THAT´S JUST AMAZING :lmfao:

I read somewhere that the reason of this "British" exception (United Kingdom and former colonies) is Napoleon Bonaparte. Anyone knows if this is true?

edit: on the net I found other explanations given... the reason seems rather mysterious: some people say it was a strategic choice to fight the enemies (Napoleo's or Charlemagne's) at a time when knights were on horses.

I also thought it started with jousting, but there's more than that: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/634/why-do-the-british-drive-on-the-left

But it doesn't stop there, the left-hand rule doesn't just apply to the road, it happens in schools as well. Whenever we had to walk down the corridor we had to walk on the left hand side to make "traffic" easier, without everyone bumping into each other. I still tend to use this rule actually, and find it very irritating when I'm walking on the left and I've got someone coming my way in my direction!

Is it really necessary

Every single day

I tried to call the RAC

I don't like thiiiis

Whatever lane it is

Caught on the roundabout

Now I'll never get out

I love your ideas and you are killing me :clap::floor::stretcher:

Is it really necessary

Every single day

I tried to call the RAC

I don't like thiiiis

Whatever lane it is

Caught on the roundabout

Now I'll never get out

:lmfao:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:roftl::roftl::lmao:

wow, this is gonna be a SUCCESS!!!! *becomes your manager*:mf_rosetinted:

I love your ideas and you are killing me :clap::floor::stretcher:

I'm glad I'm good for something. I still can't get that twitter page to work. I've run my mouse over it and still can't see the reply/retweet/etc. Apparently it's a known issue and they said to leave a comment, but didn't say where you write it. They also said they recommend downloading a new browser, but I don't like to download things I'm not sure of. Is anyone else having the same problems?

I'm glad I'm good for something. I still can't get that twitter page to work. I've run my mouse over it and still can't see the reply/retweet/etc. Apparently it's a known issue and they said to leave a comment, but didn't say where you write it. They also said they recommend downloading a new browser, but I don't like to download things I'm not sure of. Is anyone else having the same problems?

No, I don´t have this problem but I can´t see if I have new PM´s, only when I go directly to the message section.

I also thought it started with jousting, but there's more than that: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/634/why-do-the-british-drive-on-the-left

But it doesn't stop there, the left-hand rule doesn't just apply to the road, it happens in schools as well. Whenever we had to walk down the corridor we had to walk on the left hand side to make "traffic" easier, without everyone bumping into each other. I still tend to use this rule actually, and find it very irritating when I'm walking on the left and I've got someone coming my way in my direction!

Yes you're right Caz, this 'keep right/left' concerns other aspects of life. French people tend to walk on the right (flea markets, schools, etc) but you know how unruly we can be! :aah:

There is a contact link at the bottom of the page, for you to be able to tell them about any problems.:thumb_yello:

Archived