Let's share our favourite memories

Marilyn Mastin

Hi there MFC family

I think that what has happened recently, with Paloma's accident, has made us realise that we are an unusual fan club family, and we are like this because of the wonderful family that are The Pennimans.

I know that we have all read or written reports of the gigs where Mama P has dressed the Big Girls, where Yasmine and Paloma have made fans feel at ease. We know that the whole family have been part of Mika's career from the start, that they design the costumes and help Mika and the fans in other ways.

So while things are so bad, I thought it would be helpful, and even theraputic for us to share our memories of the Pennimans. I think, if they could know how wonderful we think they are and how we all have beautiful memories of them, it might help them, and also us.

My best memories are of Mika Penniman, looking into my eyes and giving me his full attention, for mere seconds, but it seemed like forever. I just know that boy has a wonderful mother who has brought him up right, to care for others. But I have never been a BG or anything like that. I know others have great memories of meeting Mama P and Paloma and Yasmine, so I thought, at this time, it might be good to put those memories into a thread that the family could look at, if they wish, and see how much we love them; and why we love them.

So please post your memories of meeting the amazing Penniman family here:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi there MFC family

I think that what has happened recently, with Paloma's accident, has made us realise that we are an unusual fan club family, and we are like this because of the wonderful family that are The Pennimans.

I know that we have all read or written reports of the gigs where Mama P has dressed the Big Girls, where Yasmine and Paloma have made fans feel at ease. We know that the whole family have been part of Mika's career from the start, that they design the costumes and help Mika and the fans in other ways.

So while things are so bad, I thought it would be helpful, and even theraputic for us to share our memories of the Pennimans. I think, if they could know how wonderful we think they are and how we all have beautiful memories of them, it might help them, and also us.

My best memories are of Mika Penniman, looking into my eyes and giving me his full attention, for mere seconds, but it seemed like forever. I just know that boy has a wonderful mother who has brought him up right, to care for others. But I have never been a BG or anything like that. I know others have great memories of meeting Mama P and Paloma and Yasmine, so I thought, at this time, it might be good to put those memories into a thread that the family could look at, if they wish, and see how much we love them; and why we love them.

So please post your memories of meeting the amazing Penniman family here:

I know that this may be a touchy topic, but I feel the need to point something out.

Yasmine was doing the Big Girl thing at the gigs with fans, but Paloma was never really putting herself out there to interact with fans. This is why I am finding all this carrying on about her a bit too much now, to be frank. We all wish her a speedy recovery, and are worried about her state and that of the whole family, that goes without saying. But Paloma strikes me as an intensely private/reserved person, who has willingly removed herself from the fan eye, and I think that we should respect that.

All this going on and on about her, and now about the rest of the family, just seems a bit much to me. I don't wish to offend anyone, but i really think that it won't do any good, and that perhaps we should try and focus on other things and let Paloma carry on her recovery in private, without further speculation and comment, and give the family some breathing space.

We've all said how terrible this accident was, and how this may have affected the whole family, but what else is there to say now? I personally feel that endlessly going on about it won't do any good to anyone, and that it just doesn't respect the family's wishes for privacy. Can't we just give the topic a rest? I hope that this doesn't come across the wrong way as I am tired and have had a difficult day, but I do hope that you get what I am trying to express.

They know that we care. They know that we wish them well. We don't need to discuss it for months and millions of posts, and I fear that we will end up speculating too much or commenting too much. In fact I find that it has already happened a few times on the other thread. Maybe we just need to get on with our own lives, and let the Pennimans carry on with theirs in private and with some space.

We are, at the end of the day, only fans. No matter how much we think we "know" them, that is what we are, and it's really not our place to delve too much into this when they have been so clear in their request for space and privacy.

All this going on and on about her, and now about the rest of the family, just seems a bit much to me. I don't wish to offend anyone, but i really think that it won't do any good, and that perhaps we should try and focus on other things and let Paloma carry on her recovery in private, without further speculation and comment, and give the family some breathing space.

I agree.

Marilyn, I've changed the title of this thread from "Penniman memories" to "favourite memories" because I do think it's a sweet idea to share our Mika or MFC-related memories and to focus on positive things - but it I don't think it's appropriate to focus on Paloma or the Penniman family specifically.

One of my favourite memories is when I went to Amsterdam in 2009 to see Mika at the Concertgebouw. I was travelling alone and was tired and jetlagged and, in my annoyance, wondering why I'd even bothered. But then I came on MFC and chatted with some of you and it made me feel better - it reminded me why this Mika world is so freakin' addicting. :wub2:

One of my favourite memories is when I went to Amsterdam in 2009 to see Mika at the Concertgebouw. I was travelling alone and was tired and jetlagged and, in my annoyance, wondering why I'd even bothered.

Aw, I didn't know that. You were pretty brave taking off like that on your own on your first overseas trip. I still wouldn't feel comfortable in a non-English speaking country on my own I don't think - except maybe France.

The first time I ventured into Mikaland I took Suzy with me so it wasn't so scary. We were disappointed by the cancelled gigs but it gave us such a great chance to get to know everyone and really get a sense of what it's like when Mika fans all over the world come together.

They know that we care. They know that we wish them well. We don't need to discuss it for months and millions of posts, and I fear that we will end up speculating too much or commenting too much. In fact I find that it has already happened a few times on the other thread. Maybe we just need to get on with our own lives, and let the Pennimans carry on with theirs in private and with some space.

We are, at the end of the day, only fans. No matter how much we think we "know" them, that is what we are, and it's really not our place to delve too much into this when they have been so clear in their request for space and privacy.

Very well said, Sara. I personally don't think, though, there's a reason to close this thread. Who wants to do it, will post here, as I know the intentions were good. We are all touched and all our thoughts go out to them etc.etc.etc. If someone finds it more bearable to post in here, then i's their choice. I personally will keep my emotions to myself at this time.

Aw, I didn't know that. You were pretty brave taking off like that on your own on your first overseas trip. I still wouldn't feel comfortable in a non-English speaking country on my own I don't think - except maybe France.

Yes I wondered if I was crazy at first. :roftl: But in the end I am SO glad I did that, and of course I never would have done something so crazy and impulsive if not for Mika and MFC. :wub2: It's really a test of self to turn up in the Netherlands and have to figure out tram maps and order food and everything with only myself to lean on. It was eye opening. (And actually not that difficult. I was spoiled, since a lot of Dutchies speak fantastic English). :blush-anim-cl: And of course because of this I got to meet some wonderful MFCers in Amsterdam, Brussels, and beyond.

The first time I ventured into Mikaland I took Suzy with me so it wasn't so scary. We were disappointed by the cancelled gigs but it gave us such a great chance to get to know everyone and really get a sense of what it's like when Mika fans all over the world come together.

That was London, right? I love the vids that came out of that cancellation. :wub2: Does anyone have links? I haven't watched them in ages.

Some of my fave memories have also to do with cancelled gigs... :aah: Well, not actually cancelled, but postponed (Lisbon, April 16).

We all met to go eat some pastries and chat a bit (me, Wonka, Liliana, Cazinha,...). After a lot of jokes and silly talk, we ended up having dinner...at the venue! There's a shopping centre below it, and some restaurants and there we were, eating some delicious food, at the exact time and place where we were supposed to be watching Mika playing live! :aah:

It was sweeeeet! :wub2: Who needs Mika anyway? :shun:

Some of my fave memories have also to do with cancelled gigs... :aah: Well, not actually cancelled, but postponed (Lisbon, April 16).

We all met to go eat some pastries and chat a bit (me, Wonka, Liliana, Cazinha,...). After a lot of jokes and silly talk, we ended up having dinner...at the venue! There's a shopping centre below it, and some restaurants and there we were, eating some delicious food, at the exact time and place where we were supposed to be watching Mika playing live! :aah:

It was sweeeeet! :wub2:Who needs Mika anyway? :shun:

:teehee: i do! :tears:

Yes a little bit of Mika is always nice, but MFCers certainly don't always need him to find some fun shenanigans. :naughty:

We just need "him" as an excuse to get to know each other on MFC... :roftl::teehee:

Joking, boss! :huglove:

Yes a little bit of Mika is always nice, but MFCers certainly don't always need him to find some fun shenanigans. :naughty:

How very true! Us Aussies meet up all the time, and really having Mika in Oz is really just an excuse to have another meet up! :fisch::teehee: soangel and I are even going over to NZ next year and hopefully meeting up with some of the kiwi fans :woot_jump:

And as for favourite memories... my favourite memories are when I got my flowers and when I got to speak to Mika and thank him for them... Considering how shy I can be, I was really impressed with how well I spoke! And I was that pleased with myself, I forgot to ask for an autograph! :doh:

I agree.

Marilyn, I've changed the title of this thread from "Penniman memories" to "favourite memories" because I do think it's a sweet idea to share our Mika or MFC-related memories and to focus on positive things - but it I don't think it's appropriate to focus on Paloma or the Penniman family specifically.

One of my favourite memories is when I went to Amsterdam in 2009 to see Mika at the Concertgebouw. I was travelling alone and was tired and jetlagged and, in my annoyance, wondering why I'd even bothered. But then I came on MFC and chatted with some of you and it made me feel better - it reminded me why this Mika world is so freakin' addicting. :wub2:

Aw, how sweet :wub2:

Mine...There have been so many. Certainly, being nestled underneath his armpit for our only picture together ranks the highest. Hearing him say my name. Seeing him perform "Everybody's Talkin" acoustically in NY. Someone in the crowd yelling at him to pull up his zipper at the 08' Chicago gig. :roftl:

This is making my gig craving stronger. I had forgotten how useful this fanclub was for getting my mind off of things. :blush-anim-cl:

And as for favourite memories... my favourite memories are when I got my flowers and when I got to speak to Mika and thank him for them... Considering how shy I can be, I was really impressed with how well I spoke! And I was that pleased with myself, I forgot to ask for an autograph! :doh:

Mika gave you flowers? :blink: How lucky are you :teehee:

I agree.

That's okay to change the name. I just thought it might be good to remember some of the good times while we wait for news. I'm not trying to interfere with the family's privacy. I simply thought that this is a thread people might feel okay to go on, insted of the threads about the album or the parts-of-Mika's-body threads, that people want to leave alone for now. At least this thread might help us all while we are waiting for good news.

Yo, people, you scared me to death with this thread! :shocked:

I am sorry, but "sharing memories" sounds to me like...you know...it's about someone who's not here anymore. And yet there is still so much more to come in the next years from the Ps., like new gigs, new shows and everything. I am sure it will all be ok, so: Cheer up, folks! :thumb_yello:

26922-3.jpg

I agree with Marilyn in that it's a nice idea to have a positive, appropriate thread for talking about our Mika memories, some of which may include memories of interactions with his family members, but also totally agree with Sariflor that it shouldn't be too much about Paloma herself, and there certainly shouldn't be any speculation or extrapolation of the known facts with regard to her as a person or her accident or condition or prognosis.

But at a time like this many people work through their anxiety by talking and sharing memories and it needn't be in a maudlin way at all, in fact I hope this thread will be positive and lighthearted.

I know that this may be a touchy topic, but I feel the need to point something out.

Yasmine was doing the Big Girl thing at the gigs with fans, but Paloma was never really putting herself out there to interact with fans. This is why I am finding all this carrying on about her a bit too much now, to be frank. We all wish her a speedy recovery, and are worried about her state and that of the whole family, that goes without saying. But Paloma strikes me as an intensely private/reserved person, who has willingly removed herself from the fan eye, and I think that we should respect that.

We've all said how terrible this accident was, and how this may have affected the whole family, but what else is there to say now? I personally feel that endlessly going on about it won't do any good to anyone, and that it just doesn't respect the family's wishes for privacy. Can't we just give the topic a rest? I hope that this doesn't come across the wrong way as I am tired and have had a difficult day, but I do hope that you get what I am trying to express.

Totally agree with you, Sara. It really breaks my heart to think how worried Mika and his whole family are at the moment, and how difficult times they are going through. They are constantly in my thoughts and I do my best sending loving and positive vibes. But the most important thing we can do now is give them privacy, that's my honest opinion. We really need to give them space.

I feel so nostalgic today. A year ago I was in New York with my husband! My first trip to the US, and it's one of my best memories ever... Boston gig (15th October) was so funny and so relaxed :wub2: And we travelled from Boston to New York City during night time, and I was a little bit scared, I'm not used to big cities like that :blush-anim-cl: And we met wonderful and so friendly people in Boston and NYC, I will never forget that.

My fave. memorie (without a doubt) is definitely backstage after the Mika gig in Copenhagen this year when i was going to have my pic taken w. him and i asked if i could have my hand on his tummy and he said of course :swoon: I still remember how it felt (his tummy) Standing there for 1+ mins time ONLY, with my hand on his tummy and other arm around his waist... his arm around mine. caressing my back while we were waitng for the cam to work cos there was a prob. with it. Wish they had bigger probs. with the cam. and wish i had said yes to John to take a pic too cos that moment was magical! :fangurl:

I also have another fave memorie from that day when i meet him backstage... the first thing i did when he entered the room was ask why he didnt play Touches You :naughty: and he answered with running a finger across his throat :blink::shocked::roftl:

I will never ever forget the tummy moment... i hope! :blink: It was so warm, hard, could feel his muscles :swoon: My heart was beating very fast and i was in heaven :mf_lustslow:

My fave. memorie (without a doubt) is definitely backstage after the Mika gig in Copenhagen this year when i was going to have my pic taken w. him and i asked if i could have my hand on his tummy and he said of course :swoon: I still remember how it felt (his tummy) Standing there for 1+ mins time ONLY, with my hand on his tummy and other arm around his waist... his arm around mine. caressing my back while we were waitng for the cam to work cos there was a prob. with it. Wish they had bigger probs. with the cam. and wish i had said yes to John to take a pic too cos that moment was magical! :fangurl:

I also have another fave memorie from that day when i meet him backstage... the first thing i did when he entered the room was ask why he didnt play Touches You :naughty: and he answered with running a finger across his throat :blink::shocked::roftl:

I will never ever forget the tummy moment... i hope! :blink: It was so warm, hard, could feel his muscles :swoon: My heart was beating very fast and i was in heaven :mf_lustslow:

Why does he do this... :biggrin2: We didn't have such change with him in Tallinn. :( Well.. too bad.. Wish I could..

Yo, people, you scared me to death with this thread! :shocked:

I am sorry, but "sharing memories" sounds to me like...you know...it's about someone who's not here anymore. And yet there is still so much more to come in the next years from the Ps., like new gigs, new shows and everything. I am sure it will all be ok, so: Cheer up, folks! :thumb_yello:

..and you have not even seen the original title...:shocked: I was in total shock and commented right away but deleted my post after moderators changed it.

There are hundreds of threads already where we can share our memories so there is absolutely no special occasion now to collect and post them again by opening another one.

..and you have not even seen the original title...:shocked: I was in total shock and commented right away but deleted my post after moderators changed it.

There are hundreds of threads already where we can share our memories so there is absolutely no special occasion now to collect and post them again by opening another one.

Look, if the mods want to clost this thread, they can do so. It's okay. I only opened it for us to have somewhere to talk away from the intensity of the accident thread. I did think hard about the title, but didn't think that people reading "memories" would think someone had died. I just thought it would be obvious it was for people who would like to remember some of the good times we've already had, and I'm sure there will be good times again.

So I'm sorry if people got scared about the title or don't like the idea I had. I meant it in the best way possible as a way of trying to help us all to get through this. If I was wrong, I apologise to anyone I might have upset.

Look, if the mods want to clost this thread, they can do so. It's okay. I only opened it for us to have somewhere to talk away from the intensity of the accident thread. I did think hard about the title, but didn't think that people reading "memories" would think someone had died. I just thought it would be obvious it was for people who would like to remember some of the good times we've already had, and I'm sure there will be good times again.

So I'm sorry if people got scared about the title or don't like the idea I had. I meant it in the best way possible as a way of trying to help us all to get through this. If I was wrong, I apologise to anyone I might have upset.

No, it's ok, you don't have to apologize at all. I totaly understand the purpose of the thread! :thumb_yello: It was only in the first moment that I thought: "WTF has happened NOW?!" Shattered nerves and so on. :teehee:

I am afraid I don't have any very strong memories except one look from Mikas brown eyes to remember :wub2: so I'll just enjoy reading! :biggrin2:

Archived