Pft, you're going overseas teegs. Thats a million times better than any Mika gig, any day of the week.

Oooooh Bec,you are so bitter :naughty:

We do need a gig soon...

I have this terrible thought that it'll end up being when I'm overseas next year :tears:

:boxed: I've given up on waiting out for another Mika gig. tbh, it doesn't bother me if i don't see him for another 5 years ... I've seen him once, and in my poor student state, I'm not going to argue with that until I have more moneys :aah:

:boxed: I've given up on waiting out for another Mika gig. tbh, it doesn't bother me if i don't see him for another 5 years ... I've seen him once, and in my poor student state, I'm not going to argue with that until I have more moneys :aah:

I fully understand that you have all the right in the world to complain about Mika's neglecting your part of the world. I agree! He could definitely come to you more often.:thumb_yello:

Look what happened in Japan, he has tons of Japanese fans now, buying his stuff.

But what I wanted to say was that although he's cute on stage and all that, if you have seen one show you have seen "the Mika show".

I will probably get some criticism for saying this:naughty: but the guy is not the master of variation.

Even when he did his acoustic shows during 2009 he couldn't help himself but to through in a bunch of balloons and confetti in the end!:aah:

Maybe it's easy for me to say, living in Europe, but I have a feeling that you, in spite of the enormous distance between you have a cohesiveness that we don't have!

My last two shows in Belfast and Dublin were not worth the trouble and the money. Too much (not so well:sneaky2:) hidden hostility between fans waiting long hours in a queue, and missing to actually visit the cities they've paid money to travel to.

I won't pay a cent to watch him play Lollipop on stage again, and I have a hard time with his perception of women which is visible when the stage is full of females dancing in their underwear!

Sorry for my bitterness!:teehee:

The funny thing is is that it's not bitterness at all :naughty: . I'd say the same about any gig, unless it was a once in a lifetime, it is my life's dream to see this person who I've never seen before and can never see again type of gig. And as most of us have seen Mika before....

Seriously, one gig can not compare to weeks and weeks worth of memories of new places, new friends and new experiences.

I fully understand that you have all the right in the world to complain about Mika's neglecting your part of the world. I agree! He could definitely come to you more often.:thumb_yello:

Look what happened in Japan, he has tons of Japanese fans now, buying his stuff.

But what I wanted to say was that although he's cute on stage and all that, if you have seen one show you have seen "the Mika show".

I will probably get some criticism for saying this:naughty: but the guy is not the master of variation.

Even when he did his acoustic shows during 2009 he couldn't help himself but to through in a bunch of balloons and confetti in the end!:aah:

Maybe it's easy for me to say, living in Europe, but I have a feeling that you, in spite of the enormous distance between you have a cohesiveness that we don't have!

My last two shows in Belfast and Dublin were not worth the trouble and the money. Too much (not so well:sneaky2:) hidden hostility between fans waiting long hours in a queue, and missing to actually visit the cities they've paid money to travel to.

I won't pay a cent to watch him play Lollipop on stage again, and I have a hard time with his perception of women which is visible when the stage is full of females dancing in their underwear!

Sorry for my bitterness!:teehee:

You're so right sienna. (btw HI!! We haven't spoken in sooo long!! :huglove: ) IMO I've seen Mika, thats enough for me until he rocks up in a country I happen to be in. I think once you've seen his show once, you've seen his show.

Japan is the perfect example of the other topic you were striking. Mika's never been here, so his New Zealand fanbase has all but evaporated - and I don't think it's much of a stretch to say the same of Australia. I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen Mika on a music channel or heard him on the radio in the last three years. Whereas acts such as Paramore and Katy Perry have come here several times, and I'm not exaggerating when I say they are ADORED by everyone, while hardly regarded before they came.

It's been nearly two years already since he came near here, and I honestly can't see myself scraping together money for a plane ticket, hotel and gig again in the next few years. Don't get me wrong; if he came to New Zealand I'd be there with bells on.

The funny thing is is that it's not bitterness at all :naughty: . I'd say the same about any gig, unless it was a once in a lifetime, it is my life's dream to see this person who I've never seen before and can never see again type of gig. And as most of us have seen Mika before....

Seriously, one gig can not compare to weeks and weeks worth of memories of new places, new friends and new experiences.

Perhaps it was just the fact that I was a swooning 15 year old when I met Mika, and felt his gig was something I absolutely had to see. Seriously, I couldn't shut up about it for months afterwards. I think my family sort of resent Mika for the amount I used to adore him :lmfao:

You're right though. I was in Europe/ America for several months in 2007,and I'd rather go back to those places and see the things I missed that time, over seeing another Mika gig. Either way, its in my 5-year plan to move to the UK so I plan on catching Mika in Europe around then anyway :teehee:

You're so right sienna. (btw HI!! We haven't spoken in sooo long!! :huglove: ) IMO I've seen Mika, thats enough for me until he rocks up in a country I happen to be in. I think once you've seen his show once, you've seen his show.

Japan is the perfect example of the other topic you were striking. Mika's never been here, so his New Zealand fanbase has all but evaporated - and I don't think it's much of a stretch to say the same of Australia. I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen Mika on a music channel or heard him on the radio in the last three years. Whereas acts such as Paramore and Katy Perry have come here several times, and I'm not exaggerating when I say they are ADORED by everyone, while hardly regarded before they came.

It's been nearly two years already since he came near here, and I honestly can't see myself scraping together money for a plane ticket, hotel and gig again in the next few years. Don't get me wrong; if he came to New Zealand I'd be there with bells on.

Perhaps it was just the fact that I was a swooning 15 year old when I met Mika, and felt his gig was something I absolutely had to see. Seriously, I couldn't shut up about it for months afterwards. I think my family sort of resent Mika for the amount I used to adore him :lmfao:

You're right though. I was in Europe/ America for several months in 2007,and I'd rather go back to those places and see the things I missed that time, over seeing another Mika gig. Either way, its in my 5-year plan to move to the UK so I plan on catching Mika in Europe around then anyway :teehee:

On the whole artists who tour alot and are loved I'd like to point out Pink, who when she tours here, ends up living here for about 3 months, and doing something like 50-70+ sold out shows. Yep, sold out shows. We're a small country population wise, but for stars we adore and who are willing to put in the time and effort, the support is there.

And I'd give anything to go back to America (especially to Orlando - in November, to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Why you ask? Well there's some little event where the actors will be there that you can buy tickets to, but which there's no way I'd be able to afford so soon).

I have the travel bug so bad though. I'm beginning to think of places I can go at the end/start of the year. Somewhere cheap like Asia or something. I just need to travel haha.

On the whole artists who tour alot and are loved I'd like to point out Pink, who when she tours here, ends up living here for about 3 months, and doing something like 50-70+ sold out shows. Yep, sold out shows. We're a small country population wise, but for stars we adore and who are willing to put in the time and effort, the support is there.

And I'd give anything to go back to America (especially to Orlando - in November, to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Why you ask? Well there's some little event where the actors will be there that you can buy tickets to, but which there's no way I'd be able to afford so soon).

I have the travel bug so bad though. I'm beginning to think of places I can go at the end/start of the year. Somewhere cheap like Asia or something. I just need to travel haha.

Ah, I forgot about Pink. Michael Buble is a little like that too isn't he? Well, not on the same scale as Pink, obviously, but I hear he's quite popular in Australia.

Aww! Gutted you can't make it to that! :sad:

Truth be told, I've had the travelling bug since that big stint overseas when I was 13.. sometimes it drives me mad and I live vicariously through other people by reading travel magazines and asking my friends lots about their travels :teehee: In those five years I've only made it to Australia twice and Papua New Guinea once ... I itch so badly to go back to London.. :aah:

Ah, I forgot about Pink. Michael Buble is a little like that too isn't he? Well, not on the same scale as Pink, obviously, but I hear he's quite popular in Australia.

Aww! Gutted you can't make it to that! :sad:

Truth be told, I've had the travelling bug since that big stint overseas when I was 13.. sometimes it drives me mad and I live vicariously through other people by reading travel magazines and asking my friends lots about their travels :teehee: In those five years I've only made it to Australia twice and Papua New Guinea once ... I itch so badly to go back to London.. :aah:

Well this year I've made it to New Zealand and to the US, and before that I had never been overseas.

I think my first plane flight was to the Gold Coast a few years ago. And now my suitcase is all frayed and old looking even though it was new then, because it has been involved in a lot of travelling.

:tongue2:

:groovy: Let's dance.

We do need a gig soon...

I have this terrible thought that it'll end up being when I'm overseas next year :tears :

We need a group gig, but it doesn't have to be Mika :naughty: Maybe we can do an overseas gig.

Pft, you're going overseas teegs. Thats a million times better than any Mika gig, any day of the week.

:roftl: Oh wise one. *eship*

Even when he did his acoustic shows during 2009 he couldn't help himself but to through in a bunch of balloons and confetti in the end!: aah:

And he'll still be doing it when he's 50. :old:

Loves that you just gave Mika a butch-slap!!! :roftl: *worships*

*hi-5's*

Perhaps it was just the fact that I was a swooning 15 year old when I met Mika, and felt his gig was something I absolutely had to see. Seriously, I couldn't shut up about it for months afterwards. I think my family sort of resent Mika for the amount I used to adore him
:lmfao:

And they're probably ecstatic that you and Mika didn't have a connection across the room, fall in love, make babies etc.. :pinkbow:

Either way, its in my 5-year plan to move to the UK so I plan on catching Mika in Europe around then anyway :teehee:

And it's an added bonus that he only poses for photographs in the Northern Hemisphere now. :sneaky2:

So am I. Have always wanted to visit Japan, but I think that I might wait a few years for that.

I just realised that I'm not on either list on the front page. <emo moment>

Oh ****! She's onto us! :shocked:

Well this year I've made it to New Zealand and to the US, and before that I had never been overseas.

I think my first plane flight was to the Gold Coast a few years ago. And now my suitcase is all frayed and old looking even though it was new then, because it has been involved in a lot of travelling.

Your first flight was with me and then you went again 2 weeks later or was it the other way around?

:groovy: Let's dance.

We need a group gig, but it doesn't have to be Mika :naughty: Maybe we can do an overseas gig.

So am I. Have always wanted to visit Japan, but I think that I might wait a few years for that.

Your first flight was with me and then you went again 2 weeks later or was it the other way around?

Overseas :wink2: I like overseas. But it doesn't have to be a Mika gig.

And I want to visit Japan too one day. I'd love to see some of their temples, and then of course all the technological stuff. A bit of old vs new.

Yep that's the way it went. And I haven't stopped flying since. But in all seriousness I have done a lot of flying in the time since then. Including super long across the pacific flights.

*thinks*

True, true...

I must admit though, I kinda wanna see Mika only for the band (half the time I couldn't give a **** about the tall one :teehee:)...

Oooh, but I'm gonna try to see Ben Parker while I'm in London :das:

Hmmmm.... good point... Now I think about it, I think he's probably gotten worse with that over the last 2 years...

I could never understand the hostility between fans, though I guess it's because there are a lot more in Europe and that people travel to other countries to see him whereas it's usually just us Aussies and we're all laid back and generally don't fight :dunno:...

I suppose not... though I am getting a wee bit excited about it (I just have to get the info from the travel agent, pay for it and then book accomodation in Scotland and I'll be sweet!)

I think you're pretty much right on the money when it comes ot Aussie Mika fans... there's not that many floating around, and I guess it's all because he left so much time between gigs...

I just realised that I'm not on either list on the front page. <emo moment>

:fisch:

I don't know about you, but I'd love to go back to NZ again! Mum, Dad and my aunt are going over in November and they're gonna have a great time!

And they're probably ecstatic that you and Mika didn't have a connection across the room, fall in love, make babies etc.. :pinkbow:

And it's an added bonus that he only poses for photographs in the Northern Hemisphere now. :sneaky2:

I'd be up for that... It doesn't even have to be a gig, just all of us getting together (maybe me and DC going down to Melbourne, considering the last tiem i went was for U2 :das:)...

We're all ecstatic that didn't happen...

Oh yeah, Why is that again??? I would've thought that posing for pics here would've been better, cause there's fewer of us...

Overseas :wink2: I like overseas. But it doesn't have to be a Mika gig.

Yes!!! I like that idea!

*thinks*

I don't know about you, but I'd love to go back to NZ again! Mum, Dad and my aunt are going over in November and they're gonna have a great time!

I'd be up for that... It doesn't even have to be a gig, just all of us getting together (maybe me and DC going down to Melbourne, considering the last tiem i went was for U2 :das:)...

Yes!!! I like that idea!

I'd love NZ again too. Or Asia, or anywhere.

Seriously, anyone want to go somewhere? :naughty:

Also on the subject of going to other states. I'm coming to Sydney sometime between November and January for the Harry Potter exhibit (which will be there November to March - it was in New York but I didn't have time to see it there).

So if people wanted to meet then? I may have some non mfc people with me, but their cool. And the bigger the group the better.

I'm also considering going across to visit Biance for a week or so if she's free in Nov-Jan time, since I will have finished Uni, and have nothing to do except apply for work. NOt that I've mentioned this to her yet.

As you Aussies seem to be keen convention attendees, has there been anything you particularly enjoyed? :biggrin2:

(:fisch: I am of course just trying to crib ideas for the MFC birthday celebrations)

We need a group gig, but it doesn't have to be Mika :nau ghty: Maybe we can do an overseas gig.

New *cough* Zealand? Tickets are actually sort of reasonable :aah:

And he'll still be doing it when he's 50. :old:

*imagines mika having a party in a wheelchair* :lmfao:

:aah:

Oh ****! She's onto us!

And here was me thinking the NZ/Oz rivalry was a giant conspiracy :tears:

I could never understand the hostility between fans, though I guess it's because there are a lot more in Europe and that people travel to other countries to see him whereas it's usually just us Aussies and we're all laid back and generally don't fight :dun no:...

People are silly :teehee:

I think you're pretty much right on the money when it comes ot Aussie Mika fans... there's not that many floating around, and I guess it's all because he left so much time between gigs...

Hear that Mika? WE ALL HATE YOU. :angry3: :hunter:

Everyone has a great time in New Zealand :mf_rosetinted:

Also on the subject of going to other states. I'm coming to Sydney sometime between November and January for the Harry Potter exhibit (which will be there November to March - it was in New York but I didn't have time to see it there).

So if people wanted to meet then? I may have some non mfc people with me, but their cool. And the bigger the group the better.

I'm also considering going across to visit Biance for a week or so if she's free in Nov-Jan time, since I will have finished Uni, and have nothing to do except apply for work. NOt that I've mentioned this to her yet.

I maybe maybe just maybe might be coming over to Australia in January. Maybe. Hopefully. Odds aren't great, but they're there. :biggrin2:

As long as I have enough time to save more money up, then I might be up for it. This trip is gonna be kinda expensive (though at least most of my accomodation will be covered!)....

I'm possibly in for the HP thing, depending on when exactly it's gonna be...

Meh, just show up on her doorstep, she'll be cool...

As you Aussies seem to be keen convention attendees, has there been anything you particularly enjoyed? :biggrin2:

(:fisch: I am of course just trying to crib ideas for the MFC birthday celebrations)

Hmmmmmmm.... Most of the conventions I've been to follow this outline:

- Go in, look at stalls

- Photos with famous people

- Q&A

- Break

- Q&A

- Break (lunch or something)

- Q&A

- Auction & drawing the raffle

- Autographs

The ones I've been to have some sort of cocktail party the night before, and a breakfast the morning of the con. The only one that was different was the prom, but that was just a bunch of people dancing, and there were casino type games that people could play. It wasn't real gambling, we were given the chips for free and I don't think we could cash them in for real money.

The bigger ones like Armageddon and Supanova have set times for stuff like autos, photos and Q&As, but generally people are free to wander around and look at stalls (but they generally don't have auctions). The big ones also have cosplay (dress up competitions)and may have competitions where you can win prizes, but those aren't often drawn on the day (usually before). I'm going to a con in a couple of weeks with a different convention company, so I can pay attention and see if they do anything different to what I've already said.

Hear that Mika? WE ALL HATE YOU. :angry3: :hunter:

I maybe maybe just maybe might be coming over to Australia in January. Maybe. Hopefully. Odds aren't great, but they're there. :biggrin2:

I wouldn't necessarily say hate... it is a strong word... :fisch:

Ooooh, yay!

Soooo OKD is getting a puppy then .... :fisch:

Really? How'd you find that out?

Oh the convention topic.

The one I went to was fanbased and for charity (as opposed to the ones we have here which are all about getting the money - and charge ridiculous amounts for photos/signatures, and only have the formally stuff and the stalls.).

But there are some similar things - a ball/party/dance of some kind at night. And a breakfast/brunch on the last day. Seriously, these two things are amazing. The ball allows you to dance the night away with the friends you rarely see and the ones you just made, and the breakfast on the last day (which in the fan based cons is the only thing that day) allows you to prepare to say goodbye to your friends, and get last photos, and phone numbers and facebooks.

Ummm... what else. Costume/cosplaying contests tend to be always on. And having quite a few events on at the same time, as well as a chill out space (Leakycon had the room of requirement) so that people always have something they want to go to, or a space to hang.

The Harry Potter con I went to had reading groups/discussions/panels all about the meaning of things in the book, that sometimes relate to different scholarly theories. For instance (I didn't have time to go to any these but I know what a few are), there was the different parenting styles of Hogwarts teachers, Why Fred, Sweaters vs jumpers, a contrast on the language and so on. These were all suggested by different people, and run by those people. I think, in regards to Mika songs, there's probably a large degree of room to do something similar.

Umm there was also a fan video thing I think, and a social networking meet up for people on youtube/tumblr to get together (other things I didn't go to). And we aussies/kiwis had our own meet up (that I did go to).

Basically the fan based cons have lots of formal and informal programming.

And Teegs - biance posted on tumblr (which goes on her twitter) about fostering a 4 month old grey hound puppy

Thanks for all the convention info - alas we are unlikely to be getting anyone famous along to sign things and answer questions (unless you count Kath the Superfan :naughty:) - but we are sorting out other activities.

Oh the convention topic.

The one I went to was fanbased and for charity (as opposed to the ones we have here which are all about getting the money - and charge ridiculous amounts for photos/signatures, and only have the formally stuff and the stalls.).

But there are some similar things - a ball/party/dance of some kind at night. And a breakfast/brunch on the last day. Seriously, these two things are amazing. The ball allows you to dance the night away with the friends you rarely see and the ones you just made, and the breakfast on the last day (which in the fan based cons is the only thing that day) allows you to prepare to say goodbye to your friends, and get last photos, and phone numbers and facebooks.

Ummm... what else. Costume/cosplaying contests tend to be always on. And having quite a few events on at the same time, as well as a chill out space (Leakycon had the room of requirement) so that people always have something they want to go to, or a space to hang.

The Harry Potter con I went to had reading groups/discussions/panels all about the meaning of things in the book, that sometimes relate to different scholarly theories. For instance (I didn't have time to go to any these but I know what a few are), there was the different parenting styles of Hogwarts teachers, Why Fred, Sweaters vs jumpers, a contrast on the language and so on. These were all suggested by different people, and run by those people. I think, in regards to Mika songs, there's probably a large degree of room to do something similar.

Umm there was also a fan video thing I think, and a social networking meet up for people on youtube/tumblr to get together (other things I didn't go to). And we aussies/kiwis had our own meet up (that I did go to).

Basically the fan based cons have lots of formal and informal programming.

And Teegs - biance posted on tumblr (which goes on her twitter) about fostering a 4 month old grey hound puppy

That con you went to was pretty big, right? It sounds pretty big...

To be fair though, a lot of the cons here might only have a few hundred people, and mostly, the costs for professional photos and autos are industry standard (unless the actor is greedy and wants more, or is someone like the Shat), and also, all the costs for the actor (business class flights, accomodation in all cities, food, anything else they want) get paid for by the convention company, as well as the appearance fee... so the prices for a lot of things (especially the ticket) are set by how much the actors charge for their appearance.

And the breakfast and the cocktail party are pretty small (about 40 for the cocktail party and maybe 15 for the breakfast), so you're paying a bit extra to be able to have a proper chat with the actors...

Anyways....

Yeah, I think I need ot og on Twitter more often... I only just found out it was Ben's b'day a few days ago, and that he hurt his arm/shoulder... I'm such a bad fan!

Lovely to see this thread moving again

Funny you should say that... Freddie said the exact same thing to me on Twitter yesterday!

Thanks for all the convention info - alas we are unlikely to be getting anyone famous along to sign things and answer questions (unless you count Kath the Superfan :naughty:) - but we are sorting out other activities.

I reckon it's definitely worth having the little sitting down and chat sessions about Mika related stuff...

Hey, I wonder whether it's worth inviting the band to join in (maybe ask them to come to the dinner or something)... Whether they will be available to join in the festivities or not is one thing, but I reckon it'd be nice to ask them, considering they've really been supportive of us overh te last 5 years...

:dunno: there's not many of us left... and i'm not even australian :lmfao: these guys won't accept me... :tears:

Ooooops... knew I forgot something! :doh:

I think they are being mean :sneaky2:

They could at least make you an honorary.

Honorary Australian? :shun:

I am a New Zealander born and bred, I do not stoop that low :teehee:

*points to first post of the thread*

That con you went to was pretty big, right? It sounds pretty big...

To be fair though, a lot of the cons here might only have a few hundred people, and mostly, the costs for professional photos and autos are industry standard (unless the actor is greedy and wants more, or is someone like the Shat), and also, all the costs for the actor (business class flights, accomodation in all cities, food, anything else they want) get paid for by the convention company, as well as the appearance fee... so the prices for a lot of things (especially the ticket) are set by how much the actors charge for their appearance.

And the breakfast and the cocktail party are pretty small (about 40 for the cocktail party and maybe 15 for the breakfast), so you're paying a bit extra to be able to have a proper chat with the actors...

Anyways....

I know a lot of it is set by the actors, but it still annoys me at times how much all the things cost at those cons haha.

Leakycon was massive - it was 3500 ish people. And don't get me started on the mess that was the Starkid signing (since signings were free - they really should have made that one have a small fee. Something between 5-20ish. So many fans were annoyed by that, especially those who had tickets to the starkid event and were supposed to get priority access to signing, but instead missed out, even after waiting for hours, and had to watch those who didn't have the starkid event, and who had instead lined up during the event get signatures)

Anyways what I came on to ask was, who has early access to Pottermore? If you don't there's still 2 days. I can't wait until next week when hopefully I'll be able to get into it.

Anyways what I came on to ask was, who has early access to Pottermore? If you don't there's still 2 days. I can't wait until next week when hopefully I'll be able to get into it.

I do!! Managed to get it on the first day! I was so excited filling everything out. My username is ElmVine161, what's yours? I'm also hoping I get an email next week so that I can start trying it out as soon as possible. :biggrin2: