2011 - MIKA in Compiègne, France - 9 July - REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS

Blue Sky

Happened the same when me and my friends arrived..there were 10-15 people but we were number 56 and more and the situation was the same for veeery long time..few people were queueing...and I think this is not fair. I had the "weird vibe" too..things were not too clear IMO.

Sorry, but i don't get what you mean with this "weird vibe" thing :teehee: Could you explain it a bit further?

I don't think it's very important but I'm curious to get what happened as I was not there to see it myself but only experienced the final act of this crazy queuing :aah:

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, but i don't get what you mean with this "weird vibe" thing :teehee: Could you explain it a bit further?

I don't think it's very important but I'm curious to get what happened as I was not there to see it myself but only experienced the final act of this crazy queuing :aah:

Treasa had the same feeling like she wrote but...it's kinda hard to explain (even harder for me cause it's in english..:roftl:) and I don't want to be rude to anybody...this is ONLY a sensation: I had the sensation that something weird was going on there since the evening before when I arrived there to check where the venue was...like people were already queueing (yes, at 11 PM of 8th) but no one admit it because they know it would cause problems. Also, the morning when we arrived we saw a LONG list of people but only few were there...usually people pass by often and then go away again but this time people seemed disappeared. I saw there Q few french girls and Saskia who was sleeping with others but no more people (and there were at least 58 on the list). The same situation went on for several hours and some people started to arrive late in the morning. So....I got the sensation that the number system was a bit strange...like people came, got numbers and went to sleep or worse.

Also, I had a VERY bad feeling when they asked us to Q 2 by 2 and they asked us to back off leaving our positions to Q while other people (without numbers) were taking our place...

But this is only my opinion, I'm not judging ANYONE, I just want to undestand why things went SO bad this time...can't be all Rocksquare organization. And I don't think that the early Q started only cause of them....maybe we all did something wrong that must not happen again if we want a decent Q at gigs.

Maybe we should do guard rounds for the next UK gigs to prevent a french invasion, because they always queue to early there even when its OUR HOME gigs:sneaky2:

Glad you said that. I would have got into trouble.

Haha, I'm glad you noticed me :naughty:

Isn't that more a general problem that some people are coming, get numbers and go back to sleep? It's something I noticed at several gigs, not just in Compiegne. But yes, it was a bit extreme there. We saw it in the morning when there were 60 or 80 people on the list and only about 25 to be seen.

I think it'd be good to discuss the Queuing in general, as Rose suggested :thumb_yello:

Treasa had the same feeling like she wrote but...it's kinda hard to explain (even harder for me cause it's in english..:roftl:) and I don't want to be rude to anybody...this is ONLY a sensation: I had the sensation that something weird was going on there since the evening before when I arrived there to check where the venue was...like people were already queueing (yes, at 11 PM of 8th) but no one admit it because they know it would cause problems. Also, the morning when we arrived we saw a LONG list of people but only few were there...usually people pass by often and then go away again but this time people seemed disappeared. I saw there Q few french girls and Saskia who was sleeping with others but no more people (and there were at least 58 on the list). The same situation went on for several hours and some people started to arrive late in the morning. So....I got the sensation that the number system was a bit strange...like people came, got numbers and went to sleep or worse.

Also, I had a VERY bad feeling when they asked us to Q 2 by 2 and they asked us to back off leaving our positions to Q while other people (without numbers) were taking our place...

But this is only my opinion, I'm not judging ANYONE, I just want to undestand why things went SO bad this time...can't be all Rocksquare organization. And I don't think that the early Q started only cause of them....maybe we all did something wrong that must not happen again if we want a decent Q at gigs.

oh Ok, I see! Thanks for explaining :wink2:

well I think that we should not take for granted any rumour someone can tell about when people will be arriving or when the list would start, unless it comes directly from someone from Mika's team whom we all know we can trust!

The thing is that, according to me of course, this queuing system is only possible when someone from Mika's staff can have an eye on it and make sure the prod of the gig won't do stupid things like lying to fans or even worse putting them in danger...

I mean: they did put you all in a quite dangerous situation when they decided to make you queue 2 by 2 in the middle! you were all then surrounded by people without number, quite angry because of the late doors opening, obviously not happy at all to the idea of you getting in before them, and with no barriers at all to prevent possible accidents, or no possible access to the security guys if the situation had gone wrong....

THIS is pretty stupid coming from Rocksquare and this, again only according to me, is one of the many examples of how unprofessional they've been in organising this gig...

The impression I get from the whole thing is that these organisers may have known some of the fans who were hanging around the previous evening and were trying to find out the intentions of other fans so as to give their friends a headsup. Obviously just my impression.

my impression is that they've found it quite funny to say different things to different people and to watch the result knowing perfectly they wouldn't do anything about the numbers :boxed:

Céline Evano told us that UK fans told her that they come for queing at 1:30am and other at 4:00 am :boxed:

I can't even believe what I'm hearing. Think about it - at what other gig have we ever had a reason to know (or care) who the promoters were? IMHO promoters should be doing their job behind the scenes and seamlessly, and off the radar of the ticket-buying public. There should NEVER be this kind of drama originating from a company that is earning money to organize a gig. Such a mess. :annoyed_h4h:

Please,who is Celine Evano? I really don't now.:blink:

She is the "Community Manager" for Rocksquare, the company behind this gig.

I mean: they did put you all in a quite dangerous situation when they decided to make you queue 2 by 2 in the middle! you were all then surrounded by people without number, quite angry because of the late doors opening, obviously not happy at all to the idea of you getting in before them, and with no barriers at all to prevent possible accidents, or no possible access to the security guys if the situation had gone wrong....

That's so crazy. If someone had been seriously injured there could have been lawsuits. Imagine what THAT would have done for Mika's reputation. :insane:

Maybe we should do guard rounds for the next UK gigs to prevent a french invasion, because they always queue to early there even when its OUR HOME gigs.

:lmfao: I think it's been established that this was a completely unfounded rumour. No need to call in the cavalry. :naughty:

I think it'd be good to discuss the Queuing in general, as Rose suggested :thumb_yello:

There was a thread in 2009 about queuing but it descended into a civil war :naughty: Feel free to dig it up (or better yet, start a new one) if you want, though. As long as everyone agrees to play nice. :aah:

John, you are deeply missed! :wub2:

I couldn't agree more! :aah:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

Please,who is Celine Evano? I really don't now.:blink:

She is the community manager of Rocksquare Production and she is a Mika fan, she has a twin sister Caroline. They come to Mika's gig at the Hammersmith Apolo last year.

I seriously have troubles understanding why people start queuing at such stupid hours. But that's just me. :dunno:

Do they even get to the gig in good physical conditions to enjoy it? :aah:

The "organizers" probably wanted their friends to get there earlier than the other fans, that's how it seems to me. :dunno: That's what you get when you have 12 year olds taking care of stuff. :sneaky2:

Glad the gig went well anyway, and that no-one got hurt during all that mess!

In fact I dont think something like that happened and, as far as I know, Jazzy Rose and Kath never queue SO early so I can't believe that everything came from this rumor.

Happened the same when me and my friends arrived..there were 10-15 people but we were number 56 and more and the situation was the same for veeery long time..few people were queueing...and I think this is not fair. I had the "weird vibe" too..things were not too clear IMO.

But when we arrived in the evening (the night before) you and your friends told us that UK fans would start to queue at 6 AM and you wanted to queue before them so before 6 AM like you said now *confused*

And about guard rounds I think it's a bit too much to do and maybe (I said maybe) this create the problem.

I never ever told you anything like this and I'm really sure.

Rounds guard was a bad idea has I said, but we didn't know how to do after Céline told us that fans (Céline said UK fans but I think now she tell not the truth, and the reaction will be the same if she told us it was french) wants to come at 1:30am and 4:00am to queu. We don't want to be arrive 50th or more because it was the only gig in France, we want to see the gig from the very front.

very true, and imo this also might've been a reason why they opened all the doors at the same time in the end. people were already angry because we were let in so late, there was a HUGE crowd, and the barriers weren't suitable for this... i noticed that while people were let in, some of the barriers almost fell because people were pushing against them. so maybe the security guards told the organizers that there'd be a security problem if they opened one door and not the others. the solution would've been very simple, to let the numbered people queue up at an extra entrance, maybe letting them in through the backstage area, like john had done that several times (for example paris bercy, riga).

at least the centre queue with the numbered people was the fastest, since they opened 2 gates there instead of just one like for the other queues. we stood in the right queue just a few metres from the gate, and from what i saw, all or at least most of the numbered people were let in before us. well, that didn't help you really much, i just wanted to mention a tiny positive thing in all this mess. :naughty: unfortunately of course, there were also lots of people who pushed into the centre queue. :sad: in any case, i'm glad that i didn't queue early, i'd have been as mad at them as you are - you trusted them, and they let you down massively. :no:

So it became the invasion of the brits all 6 of us:roftl:

And yes WE don't want to be number 50 +,and want to be at the front at

UK gigs, so maybe people will have more respect on the next MIKA tour for

home country fans after this drama :sneaky2:just saying:wink2: I don't post a lot on MFC, i keep myself to myself, but this situation really angers me.

Haha, I'm glad you noticed me :naughty:

Isn't that more a general problem that some people are coming, get numbers and go back to sleep? It's something I noticed at several gigs, not just in Compiegne. But yes, it was a bit extreme there. We saw it in the morning when there were 60 or 80 people on the list and only about 25 to be seen.

Really? Usually who comes to take numbers at silly o' clock remains there to sleep like you did...and that's fair. I don't think is fair to take numbers so early and go to sleep then, but I did few gigs and maybe I didnt' see "enough" :dunno:

Anyway, when we took numbers in Italy or when I did other gigs they told us we can't leave the Q for so long or the name would be deleted. So I guess that's a good way to organize a Q. You take your number, you go away for 1 hour for example and then you come back to show yourself again. Everyone should be free to go to eat, shower, toilets and stuff like that but not go to sleep for hours...

I never ever told you anything like this and I'm really sure.

Rounds guard was a bad idea has I said, but we didn't know how to do after Céline told us that fans (Céline said UK fans but I think now she tell not the truth, and the reaction will be the same if she told us it was french) wants to come at 1:30am and 4:00am to queu. We don't want to be arrive 50th or more because it was the only gig in France, we want to see the gig from the very front.

You were there (I recognized you later in the morning/afternoon of the day of the gig when you took your turband off) and other french girl ( I can say they were french because I listened them talk in english with french accent), the only other girl I can describe is a thin girl with black straight hair and a striped dress that was crying when we got inside the venue.

Forgive me if I keep insisting but I wasn't alone there when you (generic you...you and your friends, not you only, I didn't said that you in person told that) told me and my friends (we were few people and we heard the same thing) what I said before.

I would never said things if I wasn't sure, I'm not a "pointing finger" girl, I like to be sure before say anything and I, again, I just want to understand what went wrong (a part of damn Rockesquare organization).

Never has been John's name being quoted and not written! :naughty:

John, you are deeply missed! :wub2:

Amen..!

Edited by Sarina

Really? Usually who comes to take numbers at silly o' clock remains there to sleep like you did...and that's fair. I don't think is fair to take numbers so early and go to sleep then, but I did few gigs and maybe I didnt' see "enough" :dunno:

I noticed it in London as well as in Cattolica (going to the beach there) but maybe that was because I was focused on one person that did so and that one person was just one bad example :wink2: Hope so!

Anyway, when we took numbers in Italy or when I did other gigs they told us we can't leave the Q for so long or the name would be deleted. So I guess that's a good way to organize a Q. You take your number, you go away for 1 hour for example and then you come back to show yourself again. Everyone should be free to go to eat, shower, toilets and stuff like that but not go to sleep for hours...

If it's right what I got translated that did happen. Some French girls told others that they would be allowed to stay away for 15 minutes :aah:

I noticed it in London as well as in Cattolica (going to the beach there) but maybe that was because I was focused on one person that did so and that one person was just one bad example :wink2: Hope so!

Hope so too..because I really didnt notice it!

If it's right what I got translated that did happen. Some French girls told others that they would be allowed to stay away for 15 minutes :aah:

Lol..15 minutes is really few time!

Anyway, if you're making the list and you see that people dont respect the rules you go there and ask them to respect them to stay on the list, IMO.

Here I am too, sorry I'm late!

I stand with Sarina of course cause who where there know exactly how the things went and what's the purpose to deny it?

It happened what it's happened but at least someone has to admit that it was like that, it wasn't just rocksquare organization's fault, even if I agree with everyone that it was outrageous!!

But the queueing that early in the night, cause lady 2am it's not morning! Or even earlier I suspect, it's not something really necessary I think, even more if someone said that they try to plan the queue from 6am or something and I was there Sephira u said and also the other girl with the red top hat, sorry I don't remember the name, who was playing the guitar in the afternoon.

I'm trying to be as calm and polite as possible but I just can't stand when things are trying to be covered, I'm more than favorable to send an email or something to Rocksquare explaining the matters and asking for clarification but also the queuing organizers have to take their own responsabilities please!

So it became the invasion of the brits all 6 of us:roftl:

And yes WE don't want to be number 50 +,and want to be at the front at

UK gigs, so maybe people will have more respect on the next MIKA tour for

home country fans after this drama :sneaky2:just saying:wink2: I don't post a lot on MFC, i keep myself to myself, but this situation really angers me.

Oh my, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this!

It's not an anti-foreigners thing (I speak for myself, love having people from other countries here), is more a matter of respect for the usual "rules" of the countries where the gigs take place. :dunno:

But I don't want to sound bitchy, and get on with this discussion here, just wanted to...agree. :teehee::aah:

Rocksquare's lack of professionalism is astounding to me. I am angry that they have made Mika look bad in their discussions with the press and these ticket sales/giveaways. I am angry that they did not accommodate the queuing system because they were so disorganized.

But the people who formed and maintained the queue need to take responsibility for it. You can't blame your behaviour or the behaviour of other fans on the promoters.

Mika played a very tiny very intimate gig in NYC and there were a couple of MFCers who queued at stupid o'clock and made their intentions known to everyone right on the forum. They got there at midnight. We went to the hotel and went to bed and came back at 9 am and still got in the front row of about 20 people.

Compiegne was a huge outdoor gig. What would possess you to patrol the area all night and start forming a queue at 2 am because you think a couple of Brits might turn up first? Maybe Celine shouldn't have told anyone that, but why should it matter? Why not use your own common sense? Many of the people in Compiegne have seen Mika more times than I have. How many times do you need to see him before you decide that getting to Mika one more time is not worth losing your mind over, not to mention a decent night's sleep?

As for people leaving the queue and going to the hotel to sleep, etc. Again this is the responsibility of everyone who is there. The queues are a self-regulating system. Everyone needs to agree to it amongst yourselves. If there are one or two people who don't abide it then everyone else needs to confront them and enforce it. If half the queue doesn't abide it then I guess you don't really have a queue and everyone may as well come back at 6 pm and start fighting it out to get inside first. It's up to the people who are there to make it work - and I mean everyone who is there, not just counting on one or two people to do the dirtywork.

But the queueing that early in the night, cause lady 2am it's not morning! Or even earlier I suspect, it's not something really necessary I think, even more if someone said that they try to plan the queue from 6am or something and I was there Sephira u said and also the other girl with the red top hat, sorry I don't remember the name, who was playing the guitar in the afternoon.

I'm trying to be as calm and polite as possible but I just can't stand when things are trying to be covered, I'm more than favorable to send an email or something to Rocksquare explaining the matters and asking for clarification but also the queuing organizers have to take their own responsabilities please!

You're absolutely right that the early Q-ing is something we can't blame on rocksquare alone. But before we start discussing responsabilities I want to make sure that nobody is blaming French Deb as she had the list in the end and was in charge of the communication with the securities. She wasn't the one who started q-ing at silly o'clock iirc. Just wanted to emphasise that :wink2:

Oh my, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this!

It's not an anti-foreigners thing (I speak for myself, love having people from other countries here), is more a matter of respect for the usual "rules" of the countries where the gigs take place. :dunno:

But I don't want to sound bitchy, and get on with this discussion here, just wanted to...agree. :teehee::aah:

I see a problem there. Of course it would make sense to make sure the "homies" have sort of an advantage or at least aren't disadvanteged (well, nobody should be disadvanteged anyway :aah: ). But then others would start and say "ooooh, but WE were the ones travelling THAT far..." and then there are people who haven't a home gig. What about them? And so on...

All I want to say is: you can't please everybody. We should aim a fair system, though :thumb_yello:

Rocksquare's lack of professionalism is astounding to me. I am angry that they have made Mika look bad in their discussions with the press and these ticket sales/giveaways. I am angry that they did not accommodate the queuing system because they were so disorganized.

But the people who formed and maintained the queue need to take responsibility for it. You can't blame your behaviour or the behaviour of other fans on the promoters.

Mika played a very tiny very intimate gig in NYC and there were a couple of MFCers who queued at stupid o'clock and made their intentions known to everyone right on the forum. They got there at midnight. We went to the hotel and went to bed and came back at 9 am and still got in the front row of about 20 people.

Compiegne was a huge outdoor gig. What would possess you to patrol the area all night and start forming a queue at 2 am because you think a couple of Brits might turn up first? Maybe Celine shouldn't have told anyone that, but why should it matter? Why not use your own common sense? Many of the people in Compiegne have seen Mika more times than I have. How many times do you need to see him before you decide that getting to Mika one more time is not worth losing your mind over, not to mention a decent night's sleep?

As for people leaving the queue and going to the hotel to sleep, etc. Again this is the responsibility of everyone who is there. The queues are a self-regulating system. Everyone needs to agree to it amongst yourselves. If there are one or two people who don't abide it then everyone else needs to confront them and enforce it. If half the queue doesn't abide it then I guess you don't really have a queue and everyone may as well come back at 6 pm and start fighting it out to get inside first. It's up to the people who are there to make it work - and I mean everyone who is there, not just counting on one or two people to do the dirtywork.

:bow: :bow:

This queuing thing is getting too mad, IMO.

I even read people saying the queuing for Porto gig would be a disaster without the numbers. WTF?

I mean...you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand the "normal" queuing system, are you? :blink: I only got to use the numbers at Mika gigs, and never EVER had a problem in a queue, and didn't even need to start at stupid o'clock.

The thing is, there are a number of people who WANT to start the list, no matter what, WANT to take care of eveything (must be a very empowering position :naughty:). And this is a snowball effect, if you want to start the list, you need to get there first. If you hear someone's going at 6 am, you get there at 4. But then someone knows that, and go at 2... And so on... It got to the point of people not trusting each other ("ooh they say they're going at 9, they want to fool us, let's go at 7!" :boxed:) Seriously??

Pretty idiot, if you ask me, but who am I to tell people what they should do, I leave it to common sense.

I won't even comment on the "patrol" thing. It's way too stupid for my understanding. :aah:

You're absolutely right that the early Q-ing is something we can't blame on rocksquare alone. But before we start discussing responsabilities I want to make sure that nobody is blaming French Deb as she had the list in the end and was in charge of the communication with the securities. She wasn't the one who started q-ing at silly o'clock iirc. Just wanted to emphasise that :wink2:

I totally agree with Christine and u too Saskia, I'm not blaming at all French Deb but just the ones who started the queue that early infact I didn't spoke to Deb but if I'm not wrong she was just one of the few who came in a decent hour so no prob at all with her, just with the ones who litteraly camped there :wink2:

I see a problem there. Of course it would make sense to make sure the "homies" have sort of an advantage or at least aren't disadvanteged (well, nobody should be disadvanteged anyway :aah: ). But then others would start and say "ooooh, but WE were the ones travelling THAT far..." and then there are people who haven't a home gig. What about them? And so on...

All I want to say is: you can't please everybody. We should aim a fair system, though :thumb_yello:

Nooo no, I'm not talking about advantages for the homies. Just respect. :wink2:

For example (and I've experienced this): when you tell someone that in your country people start queuing at, let's say, 6 pm, and that there's no need to queue during the night, and STILL people do that, just to get in front of you...I mean...it's stupid. This is not a competition (I mean, for the normal people it's not).

When you start hearing stuff like "oooh, the people from forum X want to get there before the ones from the forum Y, and the girls from country A need to get there before the ones from country B..." , it's a sign that thing are getting out of control, especially when you see this coming from people who have seen Mika a gazillion times. And in the middle of that, the homies are totally ignored, I'm afraid. :lmfao:

I don't really mind if people start ququing at 2, 3, 5 or 6 am, because I know I won't do that (unless I'm on drugs or something). The thing is, people got so competitive they do that everywhere, no matter what you tell them. :dunno: