Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

I can still enjoy his voice in some songs even I can't understand them. I don't see why it makes me stupid or is something to look down on? That is the impression from this discussion. Most people I know sometimes enjoy music in foreign languages :dunno:

No-one said people were stupid to like that. I said that to me, no Mika song has reached the status of being a great song despite not understanding its lyrics. I think it basically means that I don't think the two French songs he wrote recently are that great. I brought up the example of Edith Piaf, most songs of whom I don't need to understand word by word because the way she sings them as well as the melody are strong enough to bring out strong emotions in me. I like the EMD, too, it is just that the French version stayed meaningless for me. However, as I mentioned, the conclusion here was that most or several people liked it nevertherless. It is not that MFC opinion polls are representative of the record buying public, anyway.

Otherwise I not only listen to songs in other languages regularly but also sang some with choirs earlier and I was really looking forward to Mika singing songs in other languages (I was hoping for Italian in particular) a year ago or so. It is only these two that did not work for me. I don't understand why I would need to make an excuse for that. It is just my way of perceiving EMD with those lyrics. I don't think I am the only one having a problem with getting close to that song with French lyrics, so let me express the way I feel. :tears:

I am so happy he sang this one with English lyrics - it is now playing in my head in English and it got me. I really like it now. Before that I just thought it was a silly but catchy song but now I think it is a fun and defiant song he should be proud of.

Edited by suzie

Now I'd like to say (write :D) something else, that I've just noticed Mika is much more "free-spoken" than he used to be. I mean, his lyrics and the way he talk to the audience is a little bit different now. For example, he often says: f**k (and things like that). But I think so, that he was like this, but not in front of the audience, only at home. Now it is kind of cute, that he can speak this way. Before he was a little bit shy. Now, I think he's getting use to the popularity and the media.

First time I heard, he said "f**k" I was really surprised.

I hope you understand, because my English is not the best :D

First time I heard, he said "f**k" I was really surprised.

I hope you understand, because my English is not the best :D

Your English is great :thumb_yello:

I first saw Mika in March 2007 and he said Montrealers could go f*ck themselves :shocked:

The first time Mika swore for me was at Sheffield when he said something like, 'I'm on stage, in a city I've never been before, I'm twenty seven, and I'm talking to a f**king doll'. :aah:

I thought it was funny, but I turned round and my mum was scowling :aah:

Your English is great :thumb_yello:

I first saw Mika in March 2007 and he said Montrealers could go f*ck themselves :shocked:

Oh, then I was wrong. :teehee: Unfortunately, altough I've been a Mika Fan since 2007, I could go to his concert first in 2010 :(( Because I was too young to travel aboad. But now...:aah:

Oh, then I was wrong. :teehee: Unfortunately, altough I've been a Mika Fan since 2007, I could go to his concert first in 2010 :(( Because I was too young to travel aboad. But now...:aah:

I think that a lot of stuff on youtube doesn't always include the banter (such as it is) between the songs, so if you don't go to many gigs it's not surprising you haven't heard it.

I am sure you will hear it more in the future though. :thumb_yello:

I've just noticed Mika is much more "free-spoken" than he used to be.

Others have already answered you about his language at the concerts but since we are on the 'She Tells Me' thread, let me note here that the English lyrics are really outspoken and that's why they made me love this song.

I mean, it is such an annoyingly silly song in melody and arrangements but the lyrics totally work with it. A perfect match. :teehee:

Well it certainly makes me laugh. But not Eloise's mum...:teehee:

My mums an odd soul. We were listening to the live extension CD thingy in the car today, and he went 'I am a motherf**ker', but my mum just went :shocked: and whispered, ' I don't know why he swears. There is NO need.' :naughty::naughty::naughty:

I think she likes it really. :teehee:

Others have already answered you about his language at the concerts but since we are on the 'She Tells Me' thread, let me note here that the English lyrics are really outspoken and that's why they made me love this song.

I mean, it is such an annoyingly silly song in melody and arrangements but the lyrics totally work with it. A perfect match. :teehee:

Oops. Sorry for off topic. I wanted to write about the "She tells me", and the lyrics ;)

And you're right. The melody is really happy and silly, but the lyrics (as always) very deep. That's our Mika, and I'm looking forward to listen to the other songs from the new album. I think they will be a little bit better than EMD. I mean, I HOPE they will be.

Yeah the dubbing is awful. :aah: I saw an advert for the Bridesmaids dubbed into French the other day and I was surprised that they are still doing that. I don't think I've ever seen a foreign film dubbed into English except for some Japanese flicks from the 50s/60s (like Godzilla).

I had some idea what EMD was about too based on my understanding of French and the translations, but the English version is just so much more descriptive (to me) and paints an entirely different story. I know it actually IS different but there's more to it than that. It's just clearer when the French version was fuzzy in my head so it's a lot easier to connect to the English lyrics.

Dubbing is really awful, and I'm always surprised to see it in many countries almost every time I open the television :aah:

Elle Me Dit is really different in English, I have a totally different image in my head compared to translations, too.

No-one said people were stupid to like that. I said that to me, no Mika song has reached the status of being a great song despite not understanding its lyrics. I think it basically means that I don't think the two French songs he wrote recently are that great. I brought up the example of Edith Piaf, most songs of whom I don't need to understand word by word because the way she sings them as well as the melody are strong enough to bring out strong emotions in me. I like the EMD, too, it is just that the French version stayed meaningless for me. However, as I mentioned, the conclusion here was that most or several people liked it nevertherless. It is not that MFC opinion polls are representative of the record buying public, anyway.

Otherwise I not only listen to songs in other languages regularly but also sang some with choirs earlier and I was really looking forward to Mika singing songs in other languages (I was hoping for Italian in particular) a year ago or so. It is only these two that did not work for me. I don't understand why I would need to make an excuse for that. It is just my way of perceiving EMD with those lyrics. I don't think I am the only one having a problem with getting close to that song with French lyrics, so let me express the way I feel. :tears:

I am so happy he sang this one with English lyrics - it is now playing in my head in English and it got me. I really like it now. Before that I just thought it was a silly but catchy song but now I think it is a fun and defiant song he should be proud of.

Yes, I knew the French version would be popular in France as soon I heard the song and I was happy for him. It has been playing in my head ever since (though I don't know all the lyrics really well but I don't sing along because I can't sing at all). It's not my favorite Mika song but I like it, it makes me smile :wub2:

I can understand very well that for some people lyrics are really important part of every song. I think it depends on a person and her/his background. I just felt there was a certain tone in the discussion so I asked about it, but maybe I misunderstood.

Edited by tiibet

My mums an odd soul. We were listening to the live extension CD thingy in the car today, and he went 'I am a motherf**ker', but my mum just went :shocked: and whispered, ' I don't know why he swears. There is NO need.' :naughty::naughty::naughty:

I think she likes it really. :teehee:

Well I guess I'd be the same with a daughter of mine. You can't shield kids from everything, but you can let them know what's acceptable and what's not.

I don't expect you use the f word every other word and that's down to the values your mum has instilled in you I'd say.

Now you go and tell me that you actually swear like a trooper. :teehee:

The melody is really happy and silly, but the lyrics (as always) very deep. That's our Mika, and I'm looking forward to listen to the other songs from the new album. I think they will be a little bit better than EMD. I mean, I HOPE they will be.

:roftl:

I am pretty sure they will be. It is most unlikely he'd reveal his best songs now. Last time in between albums the two new songs he sang live at concerts (Holy Johnny and How Much Do You Love Me) didn't make it to the second album.

Those were good songs and so is EMD/ She Tells Me but I guess he is planning to change his style a bit and use a slightly different sound. We'll see.

As for the concerts, I hope that you / we'll be able to attend some in countries nearby with the next tour.

Well I guess I'd be the same with a daughter of mine. You can't shield kids from everything, but you can let them know what's acceptable and what's not.

I don't expect you use the f word every other word and that's down to the values your mum has instilled in you I'd say.

Now you go and tell me that you actually swear like a trooper. :teehee:

:aah: Noooo. I don't swear unless I'm in great pain or something terrible has happened :aah: Like when you stub your toe, or bash your funny bone.

But I don't mind when other people do it, as long as they don't use them like you say, as every other word...

But that was the first thing native speakers told about the French version, that it's outspoken. But of course it's different when you can hear it yourself (sorry, I said "you" again, but I mean everyone, I can't say it better :teehee: )

I am pretty sure they will be. It is most unlikely he'd reveal his best songs now. Last time in between albums the two new songs he sang live at concerts (Holy Johnny and How Much Do You Love Me) didn't make it to the second album.

Those were good songs and so is EMD/ She Tells Me but I guess he is planning to change his style a bit and use a slightly different sound. We'll see.

As for the concerts, I hope that you / we'll be able to attend some in countries nearby with the next tour.

Everything is possible :biggrin2:

And you're reading my mind :D A few minutes ago I said to my friend, that I'd like to attend the next tour. Maybe in the neighbour countries.

And my plan is to join some Hungarian Mika Fan and travel together :roftl: If it's possible...

I am sure you will hear it more in the future though. :thumb_yello:

Yes she will :lmfao:

I just felt there was a certain tone in the discussion so I asked about it, but maybe I misunderstood.

Hmm, maybe there is a tone but for me it is probably more defensive because I keep hearing that I should appreciate Mika's songs the same way no matter what language he sings in and I don't understand why. They are two totally different experiences and one of them is lacking because there is a huge disparity in my comprehension from one to the other.

If you are not an English speaker or you happen to understand French then your experiences are going to be different from mine. There is nothing stupid about that at all but the fact that others can enjoy his non-English songs as much as the English ones doesn't change the way I experience them. And I am not alone believe me. People have complained about the moaning on MFC but you should hear the moaning that is going on off MFC :lmfao:

BTW my first post on this a couple of pages back was written before yours even though you posted first. So I wasn't purposely trying to contradict you or even address you at all. I didn't read your post until after I hit the "reply" button. :aah:

(sorry, I said "you" again, but I mean everyone, I can't say it better :teehee: )

I use it all the time. I've seen a few people on MFC use "one" in place of "you" but it's not something I've often heard Canadians say in normal conversation. It's useful in writing though since it prevents any misunderstanding about who "you" refers to, but it's just too formal for me and sounds pretentious IMO :teehee:

I can understand very well that for some people lyrics are really important part of every song. I think it depends on a person and her/his background.

yes, all the music they have listened so far, their life experience or even the mood at the particular moment they listen to the song first..etc.

I just felt there was a certain tone in the discussion so I asked about it, but maybe I misunderstood.

I thought my earlier posts made it obvious what I thought about the language issue and this song. I prefer to express criticism as well occasionally, so that when I do think that something is great it means something. My tone was only reflecting the fact that people got hurt how others did not like the song and the other way round. I was being funny and even sarky on purpose, summing it all up for Bab in one sentence. However, that was only about the discussion itself, not particular people or opinions.

But that was the first thing native speakers told about the French version, that it's outspoken. But of course it's different when you can hear it yourself

Yes, you see this is exactly what I find funny – others may not. I don’t interpret songs through others, I interpret them myself. For example, I found pretty telling how some French fans were trying to explain how ’gay’ in French means something else than in English and now we have the word 'gay' in the (original) English version. :roftl:

Edited by suzie

I've seen a few people on MFC use "one" in place of "you" but it's not something I've often heard Canadians say in normal conversation. It's useful in writing though since it prevents any misunderstanding about who "you" refers to, but it's just too formal for me and sounds pretentious IMO :teehee:

I used to use 'you' until someone got hurt on MFC when she thought I meant her when I replied to her comment and used 'you' to express some general truth about the average person :aah:.

I don’t interpret songs through others, I interpret them myself.

And therein lies my problem with the language issue. I would not be a Mika fan if he was not an English artist. I do not want to hear his songs and his interviews through the ears and mind of someone else. I just couldn't connect with him the same way with that filter in the way.

Yes, you see this is exactly what I find funny – others may not. I don’t interpret songs through others, I interpret them myself. For example, I found pretty telling how some French fans were trying to explain how ’gay’ in French means something else than in English and now we have the word 'gay' in the (original) English version. :roftl:

But the point is that if he is singing in French I have to relate to the translations (by other people). If I can understand the language of course I have my own thoughts.

When he released the song I thought it was maybe important to him to write a song in another language than English, just to try new things (and because he speaks French well it was not a bad idea). I want to see him doing many different things he enjoys, I like to think him as an artist creating things and not only thinking music as a product. I find most things he does very interesting. I don't need to love all his songs equally and I don't mind if I can't understand the lyrics for a couple of songs. He has many French fans who can understand the lyrics perfectly, I concentrate on enjoying his voice when I listen to those songs.

But it was exciting to hear the first English lines for Elle Me Dit :mf_lustslow: I couldn't wait to hear the whole song, and I do like it. Now I just need to get used to the idea that there are two versions. For me French language gives the song a different feeling than English language, and it has nothing to do with understanding. I want to know which version I like better :teehee: