Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

This particular sentence may be more dramatic in english then the french one, but as the song goes on, the message is just as descriptive in french. It is as dramatic. :naughty: I think the drama was lost in our english translation :roftl:

Really? I think talking about her getting on her knees to pray to St. Peter and telling him that he's effectively torturing her/ruining her life with his unwillingness to do what she wants is a melodrama that is not conveyed at all the in French lyrics. :dunno:

It also seems to be clear that she's telling him to stop acting gay and yet when we were discussing the French lyrics the interpretation of "gay" was "happy". In the English version it is spelled out because the whole verse refers to it. "Get a girl", "be a boy like any other".

For example, Pourquoi tu gâches ta vie? makes me almost panic. I start thinking at once what Mika got in his 27 (in spite moaning of "mum" in a song), and what I achieved in my 32 :boxed:

You've got your own family and that is no small feat so don't beat yourself up. :wink2: It's great that Mika has done so well in his career but there is more to life than work. (I'm not saying Mika doesn't have more to his life, but all we see is his career.)

I just love the lyric "Get your ass to number one"

I can imagine his mother making such suggestions - heck, I can imagine ME telling him the same thing, if I had the chance.:wink2:

:lmfao:

Yeah, as mum to a teenage boy, I can imagine saying "work a little harder"

too!

But I can really relate to these English lyrics so much more than I could

the French version. Especially because my own mother was/is so

much like this mother. I can't tell you how many times she would say

things like, "Do you think I ENJOY nagging you?" or "Do you

know how much I have given up for you?" and I would

think (never say out loud!), "Well, who is ASKING you to? I didn't ask to

be born!" :teehee:

Anyhow, I appreciate this song so much more now that I can sing along

to it. And I also appreciate that Mika took the time to come up with this

alternate version for his English-speaking fans. :wub2:

I think he sounds different when he sings in French :blush-anim-cl: And if I know what he is saying the language doesn't matter that much. English is not my own language. I like the English lyrics but the lyrics are not the most important thing in this song. It's about the feeling the song gives. You know, it's the same with many songs. I like the idea EMD is in French, but as I said I loved hearing in English last Sat, it was so cool to suddenly hear it in different language

Interesting!:thumb_yello:

Even though we can understand a lot of English it never gives the same level of emotions as in your native language.

People who know me also know that I could talk about this for days so I'll stop now!:blush-anim-cl:

Glad you brought it up!:wub2:

I am getting a much more vivid picture of this mother and her histrionics and guilt tripping and a son who is tuning out the drama physically, emotionally and pharmacologically :naughty:

True!:wink2:

I am not getting what you all seem to be getting at all. I find nothing special about this song. Maybe it will grow on me.

It is a little monotonous.:teehee:

Of course one can love both songs.

If one doesn't speak either of the languages though, I doubt they get the meaning the same way they would if the words actually meant anything for them. To me it is like reading the literally translation of poem. It does not work the same way. It needs to be in verse and the translated version needs to find the equivalent of some special expressions in the language it has been translated to.

However, songs speak to people in different ways. For some it is the music that a particular song works through, for others it is the lyrics or the combination of the two and there are also those who get the meaning via Mika's curls, I guess.:roftl:

Oh, for me it's curls, definitely the curls!:naughty: Or maybe I should say the present lack of curls...:sneaky2:

And here in Slovakia I´ll be happy to find simple CD with 12 tracks.

I need to move! :boxed:

But we always have the Internet and the MFC, don't we? It's the same in my little lost and forgotten country!:naughty:

this version immediately turned my thoughts to other conversational (not sure the word is right) songs-addressed-to-..... like Stuck in the Middle, Lollipop or even D. John. The idea is similar.

Yes I agree. But with this album I would have wished he had moved forward from that period of time in his life. But maybe it will take several more years?

Yes I agree. But with this album I would have wished he had moved forward from that period of time in his life. But maybe it will take several more years?

Well in the French version the mother is yelling at him about being almost 30 years old so maybe he's still living it. :teehee:

:bow: i looove that he sang this in English! :mf_lustslow:

i'm so used to singing along with the French lyrics (well mumbling vaguely French sounding syllables really :roftl:) though, this version is gonna take some getting used to!

You've got your own family and that is no small feat so don't beat yourself up. :wink2: It's great that Mika has done so well in his career but there is more to life than work. (I'm not saying Mika doesn't have more to his life, but all we see is his career.)

thank you, I try to convince myself in it...

The good side is that Mika makes me wanna to do something, to become someone, learn new things. So, his words about wasting a life were a push. Not knowing about it, with several words of summer song he forces people to think about the real necessities in life, about genuine values. Sounds too highbrow, but it is true.

You can buy any physical CD releases from any country via the internet.:wink2:

I know I know. But I love that feeling when I come to the store,looking for a CDs under letter M, hold it in my hand and pay with all happiness. :wub2:

Via internet it´s just like - oh yes. this is the CD I want to own. I´ll pay. I´ll wait. Oh, I have something on post office. Oh, let´s open it. and then :jawdrop:

I find it interesting that this lyric is repeated twice:

She tells me you live your life in a balloon

Lock yourself up in your room

So the world can never reach ya

My theory is that Mika forgot the words (or at least, remembered the wrong words :naughty:) so there must be some more English lyrics we haven't heard yet.

At this moment I hope neither version is on the cd.

Anyway why put a French song on a cd just to appeal to one section of your audience? Doesn't make good business sense to me.

He said the French songs would be bonus tracks on the French CD release.

It's no different to the tailored versions of LICM, with different tracks for different countries, really.

I want stickers like the Japanese get :mf_rosetinted:

Anyway why put a French song on a cd just to appeal to one section of your audience? Doesn't make good business sense to me.

oh, you have missed discussion on that. The conclusion is that it is appealing to people even if they don't understand a word of it. :thumb_yello:

To me no Mika song has reached that status yet - I must admit he is no Edith Piaf. :no:

I do like 'She Tells Me' though.

Edited by suzie

He said the French songs would be bonus tracks on the French CD release.

It's no different to the tailored versions of LICM, with different tracks for different countries, really.

I want stickers like the Japanese get :mf_rosetinted:

Hmm the French are welcome to it. :teehee:

My theory is that Mika forgot the words (or at least, remembered the wrong words :naughty:) so there must be some more English lyrics we haven't heard yet.

I like your theory. Is that part different in the French version?

Let's create the missing lyrics then. :boing:

Edited by suzie

I find it interesting that this lyric is repeated twice:

She tells me you live your life in a balloon

Lock yourself up in your room

So the world can never reach ya

I think it may have been on the lyric sheet that Mellody took a picture of. Maybe Miss Roxy remembers because looking at that was hurting my eyes so I am not going back to check. :aah:

I think the lyrics could use a little bit of polish and it would be better if there was another verse here, so hopefully/maybe?

oh, you have missed discussion on that. The conclusion is that it is appealing to people even if they don't understand a word of it. :thumb_yello:

To me no Mika song has reached that status yet - I must admit he is no Edith Piaf. :no:

I think it depends on the song. If the song is not an emotional one or just a fantastic dance track then I don't know how much you can get out of it without knowing what the lyrics mean. Would people really want to listen to Mika singing the Greek alphabet? If not, why not? If the lyrics are in Greek then what difference does it make if it's utter nonsense to everyone, including the Greek speakers?

I really don't think I could listen to Elle Me Dit at all if I didn't have some familiarity with French. At least I can pronounce it and understood immediately what "elle me dit" means. If this song was in Swahili I just couldn't be bothered with it at all. Maybe I'd feel differently about Happy Ending because the meloncholy and regret is evident from the music and his vocals. But Elle Me Dit sounds like a happy dance track, not like a mother screaming at her son and praying to the saints because he is gay/stoned/a loser like his father, etc. The meaning is entirely lost if you don't understand the words.

It's the same with Toy Boy. What would be the point if you didn't understand the story?

I listen to Mika mostly because I love his voice. He has a very pleasant and beautiful voice :wub2: English is not my own language but I can understand lyrics quite well, and I find some stories in lyrics really interesting/beautiful. I can still enjoy his voice in some songs even I can't understand them. I don't see why it makes me stupid or is something to look down on? That is the impression from this discussion. Most people I know sometimes enjoy music in foreign languages :dunno:

Edit: I think it's something to do with cultural differences. Finnish is a small language. I have always lived surrounded by people who don't speak many foreign languages but still want to listen to music from larger selection than offered in Finnish.

Edited by tiibet

I can still enjoy his voice in some songs even I can't understand them. I don't see why it makes me stupid or is something to look down on? That is the impression from this discussion. Most people I know sometimes enjoy music in foreign languages :dunno:

No one said it was stupid, but as an English speaker I just can't agree that I should be able to enjoy non-English and English songs equally. I don't. Even if I can appreciate the music, there is still a huge part of the song missing so they are not equal to me.

Someone compared it earlier to the different periods of Picasso but since there is language involved you can't compare it to strictly visual art. It's more like a film. Even if it is visually stunning and you can read emotion on the faces of the actors, how can you possibly take the same thing away from it if the dialogue is in a foreign language and there are no subtitles and no dubbing?

I recently saw an opera in Italian and I have to say I would have had no flippin idea what was going on if there weren't surtitles above the stage indicating (in English) what was happening. :aah: Everyone I went with said the same thing. The music was beautiful but without any context much of the emotion would have been lost.

No one said it was stupid, but as an English speaker I just can't agree that I should be able to enjoy non-English and English songs equally. I don't. Even if I can appreciate the music, there is still a huge part of the song missing so they are not equal to me.

Someone compared it earlier to the different periods of Picasso but since there is language involved you can't compare it to strictly visual art. It's more like a film. Even if it is visually stunning and you can read emotion on the faces of the actors, how can you possibly take the same thing away from it if the dialogue is in a foreign language and there are no subtitles and no dubbing?

I recently saw an opera in Italian and I have to say I would have had no flippin idea what was going on if there weren't surtitles above the stage indicating (in English) what was happening. :aah: Everyone I went with said the same thing. The music was beautiful but without any context much of the emotion would have been lost.

I have read several translations for Elle Me Dit so it's not like I have no idea what is the story. But I agree about movies, I want to see subtitles even for English dialogue (and I prefer English subtitles if possible because that helps me learn some English). We don't use dubbing in Finland. But I could never compare films to music, for me they are two totally different things (just like I can't compare books and films, I always prefer to read the book before I see the film).

Edited by tiibet

I have read several translations for Elle Me Dit so it's not like I have no idea what is the story. But I agree about movies, I want to see subtitles even for English dialogue (and I prefer English subtitles if possible because that helps me learn some English). We don't use dubbing in Finland.

Yeah the dubbing is awful. :aah: I saw an advert for the Bridesmaids dubbed into French the other day and I was surprised that they are still doing that. I don't think I've ever seen a foreign film dubbed into English except for some Japanese flicks from the 50s/60s (like Godzilla).

I had some idea what EMD was about too based on my understanding of French and the translations, but the English version is just so much more descriptive (to me) and paints an entirely different story. I know it actually IS different but there's more to it than that. It's just clearer when the French version was fuzzy in my head so it's a lot easier to connect to the English lyrics.